Temporary files

Hi there !

I've been using TB for many, many years on Solaris, macOS and Linux but 
I still didn't find a suitable explanation for the following behavior - 
which is disturbing me ever since:

When I open an attachment, the file is temporarily saved in /tmp or now 
in /tmp/mozilla${USER}0 on Solaris and Linux. On macOS, the file is 
placed on the desktop which fills it up and persistently. What's the 
reason for that and how can I change it?

TIA

	fw
0
Frank
5/30/2018 8:57:24 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22506 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

10 Replies
92 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 29

On 05/30/2018 04:57 AM, Frank Winkler wrote:
> Hi there !
> 
> I've been using TB for many, many years on Solaris, macOS and Linux but 
> I still didn't find a suitable explanation for the following behavior - 
> which is disturbing me ever since:
> 
> When I open an attachment, the file is temporarily saved in /tmp or now 
> in /tmp/mozilla${USER}0 on Solaris and Linux. On macOS, the file is 
> placed on the desktop which fills it up and persistently. What's the 
> reason for that and how can I change it?
> 
> TIA
> 
>      fw
I'm running Linux Mint and see nothing in /tmp or ~/tmp like that.
Latest TB in repros.
0
Big
5/30/2018 12:12:27 PM
On 05/30/2018 04:57 AM, Frank Winkler wrote:
> Hi there !
> 
> I've been using TB for many, many years on Solaris, macOS and Linux but 
> I still didn't find a suitable explanation for the following behavior - 
> which is disturbing me ever since:
> 
> When I open an attachment, the file is temporarily saved in /tmp or now 
> in /tmp/mozilla${USER}0 on Solaris and Linux. On macOS, the file is 
> placed on the desktop which fills it up and persistently. What's the 
> reason for that and how can I change it?
> 
> TIA
> 
>      fw
I take that back.   I see attachments inline and maybe I'm not viewing 
them.  So I just looked at a few emails with attachments in my trash and 
sure enough they save to /tmp/mozilla_alan0/    Interesting.   I kinda 
like it though.   Keeps a list of my attachments.

But my question is, what was that empty.  It's been 6 months of using 
this PC and I don't have one attachment?  Is there something that cleans 
it out?  Brings up more questions than answers.
0
Big
5/30/2018 12:21:24 PM
On 05/30/2018 01:57 AM, Frank Winkler wrote:
> Hi there !
>
> I've been using TB for many, many years on Solaris, macOS and Linux
> but I still didn't find a suitable explanation for the following
> behavior - which is disturbing me ever since:
>
> When I open an attachment, the file is temporarily saved in /tmp or
> now in /tmp/mozilla${USER}0 on Solaris and Linux. On macOS, the file
> is placed on the desktop which fills it up and persistently. What's
> the reason for that and how can I change it?
>
> TIA
>
> fw

I'm using TB38 on Linux.
Edit -> Preferences -> Attachments -> Incoming shows me 2 choices.

( ) Save files to [Desktop]  [Browse]

(*) Always ask me where to save files

It says nothing about "temporarily saved" there, but... well, maybe your 
mac preference is different than the other two.
0
UTF
5/30/2018 1:32:56 PM
On 2018-05-30 04:57, Frank Winkler wrote:
> Hi there !
> 
> I've been using TB for many, many years on Solaris, macOS and Linux but 
> I still didn't find a suitable explanation for the following behavior - 
> which is disturbing me ever since:
> 
> When I open an attachment,

I assume this mean you click on the attachment name. That amounts to 
downloading it so that the viewer (image processor, word processor) can 
display it outsdie of Tbird.

> the file is temporarily saved in /tmp or now 
> in /tmp/mozilla${USER}0 on Solaris and Linux. On macOS, the file is 
> placed on the desktop which fills it up and persistently. What's the 
> reason for that and how can I change it?
> 
> TIA
> 
>      fw

When you d/l an attachment, Tbird thinks you want to keep it. Unless you 
specify some other target, it goes into the temporary-files folder in 
Windows and Linux. I don't know why it's opened onto the desktop in 
Mac-OS, but it looks like clicking on the attachment opens the 
associated viewing/editing app.

On Windows, Tbird remembers the last location in which you Saved the 
attachment. Don't know about the other OSs, but I suspect it's the same.

-- 
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"The next conference for the time travel design team will be held two 
weeks ago."
0
Wolf
5/30/2018 1:39:15 PM
On 05/30/18 02:21 PM, Big Al wrote:

  >I take that back.   I see attachments inline and maybe I'm not viewing
  >them.  So I just looked at a few emails with attachments in my trash and
  >sure enough they save to /tmp/mozilla_alan0/    Interesting.   I kinda
  >like it though.   Keeps a list of my attachments.

Yes, and I just noticed that I accidentally missed the underscore, so 
/tmp/mozilla_${USER]0 for later versions.

  >But my question is, what was that empty.  It's been 6 months of using
  >this PC and I don't have one attachment?  Is there something that cleans
  >it out?  Brings up more questions than answers.

Maybe you rebooted recently? /tmp is wiped out while booting.

Regards

	fw

0
Frank
5/30/2018 1:59:24 PM
On 05/30/18 03:39 PM, Wolf K wrote:

  >I assume this mean you click on the attachment name. That amounts to
  >downloading it so that the viewer (image processor, word processor) can
  >display it outsdie of Tbird.

Correct.

  >When you d/l an attachment, Tbird thinks you want to keep it. Unless you
  >specify some other target, it goes into the temporary-files folder in
  >Windows and Linux. I don't know why it's opened onto the desktop in
  >Mac-OS, but it looks like clicking on the attachment opens the
  >associated viewing/editing app.

I also don't know why. If I knew, I wouldn't ask ;) ... but it sucks! 
And I'm pretty sure that there is a way to change it - but how?

Regards

	fw

0
Frank
5/30/2018 2:01:56 PM
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------050205070108050705090402
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 30/05/2018 09:57, Frank Winkler wrote:
> Hi there !
>
> I've been using TB for many, many years on Solaris, macOS and Linux 
> but I still didn't find a suitable explanation for the following 
> behavior - which is disturbing me ever since:
>
> When I open an attachment, the file is temporarily saved in /tmp or 
> now in /tmp/mozilla${USER}0 on Solaris and Linux. On macOS, the file 
> is placed on the desktop which fills it up and persistently. What's 
> the reason for that and how can I change it?
>
> TIA
>
>     fw

what does the environment variable say about your temp folder on your 
machine?  Could it be that TB gets this info from the OS (Operating 
system).  I am using Windows and the environment variable defines my 
temp folder.

I know nothing about other operating systems but I suspect the operation 
should be almost identical to that of windows.  They all copy ideas from 
each other!!!!!!



-- 
With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer 
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

--------------050205070108050705090402
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FCFBE3" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 30/05/2018 09:57, Frank Winkler
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:mailman.564.1527670676.2160.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">Hi there !
      <br>
      <br>
      I've been using TB for many, many years on Solaris, macOS and
      Linux but I still didn't find a suitable explanation for the
      following behavior - which is disturbing me ever since:
      <br>
      <br>
      When I open an attachment, the file is temporarily saved in /tmp
      or now in /tmp/mozilla${USER}0 on Solaris and Linux. On macOS, the
      file is placed on the desktop which fills it up and persistently.
      What's the reason for that and how can I change it?
      <br>
      <br>
      TIA
      <br>
      <br>
          fw
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    what does the environment variable say about your temp folder on
    your machine?  Could it be that TB gets this info from the OS
    (Operating system).  I am using Windows and the environment variable
    defines my temp folder.<br>
    <br>
    I know nothing about other operating systems but I suspect the
    operation should be almost identical to that of windows.  They all
    copy ideas from each other!!!!!!<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      <div class="moz-signature">
        <div style="width: 330px; background-color: blue; color:
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>
      </div>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------050205070108050705090402--
0
UTF
5/30/2018 3:31:11 PM
On 05/30/2018 09:32 AM, ░▒▓▀▄▀▄▓▒░ wrote:
> On 05/30/2018 01:57 AM, Frank Winkler wrote:
>> Hi there !
>>
>> I've been using TB for many, many years on Solaris, macOS and Linux
>> but I still didn't find a suitable explanation for the following
>> behavior - which is disturbing me ever since:
>>
>> When I open an attachment, the file is temporarily saved in /tmp or
>> now in /tmp/mozilla${USER}0 on Solaris and Linux. On macOS, the file
>> is placed on the desktop which fills it up and persistently. What's
>> the reason for that and how can I change it?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> fw
> 
> I'm using TB38 on Linux.
> Edit -> Preferences -> Attachments -> Incoming shows me 2 choices.
> 
> ( ) Save files to [Desktop]  [Browse]
> 
> (*) Always ask me where to save files
> 
> It says nothing about "temporarily saved" there, but... well, maybe your 
> mac preference is different than the other two.
He says it does it on Linux too but to the /tmp folder.   I've got that 
setting set for /home/alan/Downloads and that's where it saves IF I save 
the attachment.   But viewing it puts a copy it /tmp and I read it from 
there.

0
Big
5/30/2018 4:31:33 PM
On 5/30/2018 10:01 AM, Frank Winkler wrote:
> On 05/30/18 03:39 PM, Wolf K wrote:
> 
>   >I assume this mean you click on the attachment name. That amounts to
>   >downloading it so that the viewer (image processor, word processor) can
>   >display it outsdie of Tbird.
> 
> Correct.
> 
>   >When you d/l an attachment, Tbird thinks you want to keep it. Unless you
>   >specify some other target, it goes into the temporary-files folder in
>   >Windows and Linux. I don't know why it's opened onto the desktop in
>   >Mac-OS, but it looks like clicking on the attachment opens the
>   >associated viewing/editing app.
> 
> I also don't know why. If I knew, I wouldn't ask ;) ... but it sucks! 
> And I'm pretty sure that there is a way to change it - but how?
> 
> Regards
> 
>      fw
> 
I just did some experimenting.   I have several PDF files attachments to 
emails in my inbox.

I found the temporary file for one of the attachments in 
c://...\user\.....\AppData\Local\Temp

I closed TB and deleted all of the files in that directory.

When I went back to the inbox in TB that attachment still appeared 
attached to the original email.   I  opened the attachment and got the 
original attachment.  When I went back to the \AppData\Local\Temp folder 
a new copy of the attachment was there.

So it would appear that TB only creates the temporary file of the 
attachment when it is opened.

I looked at the inbox.msf file in the TB profile and opened it in a text 
editor.  It appears the complete document is stored in that file. There 
is the name of that attached file, information on the start of the 
document and what appears to be gibberish of a standard PDF file


0
Keith
5/30/2018 5:23:21 PM
On 05/30/2018 06:32 AM, ░▒▓▀▄▀▄▓▒░ wrote:

> It says nothing about "temporarily saved" there, but... well, maybe your 
> mac preference is different than the other two.
>
  TB saves the attachment to a temporary area when the attachment is
viewed by whatever app is selected to view that particular attachment.

-- 
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com
Think.
0
James
5/30/2018 7:47:59 PM
Reply: