TB inresponsive during IMAP download

Since a few versions, TB becomes totally inresponsive during email download from IMAP accounts. (Win 10 32 bit, atom processor, currently at 52.8).

If any menu option or button is pressed, it totally greys out and waits for the 10, 30, 60 messages to totally download (header and body).

For example, I cannot write a new message until all is downloaded, unless I set it to offline. If I am not fast enough and downloading is started, I cannot even use that menu item and have to kill TB or wait.

Is there any workaround or config setting to make it multitasking?

any help is appreciated,

Klaus
0
opto

On 7/10/2018 4:15 PM, opto wrote:
> Since a few versions, TB becomes totally inresponsive during email download from IMAP accounts. (Win 10 32 bit, atom processor, currently at 52.8).
>
> If any menu option or button is pressed, it totally greys out and waits for the 10, 30, 60 messages to totally download (header and body).
>
> For example, I cannot write a new message until all is downloaded, unless I set it to offline. If I am not fast enough and downloading is started, I cannot even use that menu item and have to kill TB or wait.
>
> Is there any workaround or config setting to make it multitasking?
>
> any help is appreciated,
>
> Klaus

See if updating to 52.9.1 helps. Might just have been a bug.
0
TCW
7/11/2018 12:59:53 PM
On 7/11/2018 8:59 AM, TCW wrote:
> On 7/10/2018 4:15 PM, opto wrote:
>> Since a few versions, TB becomes totally inresponsive during email
>> download from IMAP accounts. (Win 10 32 bit, atom processor, currently
>> at 52.8).
>>
>> If any menu option or button is pressed, it totally greys out and
>> waits for the 10, 30, 60 messages to totally download (header and body).
>>
>> For example, I cannot write a new message until all is downloaded,
>> unless I set it to offline. If I am not fast enough and downloading is
>> started, I cannot even use that menu item and have to kill TB or wait.
>>
>> Is there any workaround or config setting to make it multitasking?
>>
>> any help is appreciated,
>>
>> Klaus
>>

> See if updating to 52.9.1 helps. Might just have been a bug.

There are no performance fixes in 52.9.* per
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/52.9.0/releasenotes/

Opto should look at
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing:Memory_Usage_Problems
0
Wayne
7/11/2018 1:13:21 PM
On 7/10/2018 5:15 PM, opto wrote:
> Since a few versions, TB becomes totally inresponsive during email download from IMAP accounts. (Win 10 32 bit, atom processor, currently at 52.8).
>
> If any menu option or button is pressed, it totally greys out and waits for the 10, 30, 60 messages to totally download (header and body).
>
> For example, I cannot write a new message until all is downloaded, unless I set it to offline. If I am not fast enough and downloading is started, I cannot even use that menu item and have to kill TB or wait.
>
> Is there any workaround or config setting to make it multitasking?
>
> any help is appreciated,
>
> Klaus

A workaround isn't normally feasible until you can localize the cause.
It is immensely helpful to work through this decision tree so we have a
good starting point...

Start *Windows'* safe mode with networking enabled
- win10
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Still In Windows safe mode, start Thunderbird in safe mode
- https://support.mozilla.org/kb/safe-mode-thunderbird

Does problem go away?

- If no, then cause may be: bug in Thunderbird, something (eg a setting,
file or folder) in your Thunderbird profile, networking issue, or issue
with your mail provider/server. Please post into topic the contents of
Help | Troubleshooting | copy text to clipboard

- If yes (problem went away), then (still in Windows safe mode) ...
start Thunderbird NORMALLY
-- If problem is still gone, then cause is a program loaded during
Windows startup or Windows setting. Possibilities include: antivirus SW,
virus/malware, background downloads such as program updates, Windows
indexing
-- If problem came back, then cause is likely a Thunderbird addon -
eliminate them by disabling each one at a time in Tools | addons |
extensions and restarting

- If results are unclear ... possibilities include temporary conditions
such as contention from other running programs, downloads related to
windows update, ...

Please let us know your findings.

0
Wayne