TB downloads same headers from gmail IMAP every day (TB 52.7.0)

(I don't know if the actual interval is every day.  But it happens very
frequently ... and even once is too much.)

When I start TB and look at any of the folders I have created on it, I
get the response

	"<folder name> downloading message header <messageNumber> of
<numberOfMessages>".

Then the next day (or whenever) I get the same response -- and not just
for new messages; for *all* messages in the folder, including the ones
downloaded the previous time.

Aren't these headers supposed to be kept permanently in the profile?  I
never saw this behavior until recently.
0
Dudley

--------------040505000103020600000804

On 16/05/2018 17:48, Dudley Brooks wrote:
> (I don't know if the actual interval is every day. But it happens very
> frequently ... and even once is too much.)
>
> When I start TB and look at any of the folders I have created on it, I
> get the response
>
>     "<folder name> downloading message header <messageNumber> of
> <numberOfMessages>".
>
> Then the next day (or whenever) I get the same response -- and not
> just for new messages; for *all* messages in the folder, including the
> ones downloaded the previous time.
>
> Aren't these headers supposed to be kept permanently in the profile?
> I never saw this behavior until recently.

Perhaps you need to repair the folder.  To do this, right-click on the
folder and then choose Properties.  You will see a button called "Repair
folder".  Click once on it and the message index will be recreated.

This may or may not resolve the problem you are having.

Good luck.

--------------040505000103020600000804

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:mailman.289.1526489312.2161.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">(I don't know if the actual interval is every day.
      But it happens very frequently ... and even once is too much.)
      When I start TB and look at any of the folders I have created on
      it, I get the response
          "&lt;folder name&gt; downloading message header
      &lt;messageNumber&gt; of &lt;numberOfMessages&gt;".
      Then the next day (or whenever) I get the same response -- and not
      just for new messages; for *all* messages in the folder, including
      the ones downloaded the previous time.
      Aren't these headers supposed to be kept permanently in the
      profile?  I never saw this behavior until recently.
    Perhaps you need to repair the folder.  To do this, right-click on
    the folder and then choose Properties.  You will see a button called
    "Repair folder".  Click once on it and the message index will be
    recreated.<br>
    This may or may not resolve the problem you are having.<br>
    Good luck.<br>
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>

--------------040505000103020600000804--
0
Good
5/16/2018 5:00:50 PM
Thanks.

Just to check before I do it:  That means that the headers will once
again have to be downloaded ... but hopefully this first time only, right?

The bad part is I will have to do it for every single folder.  Is there
any "global" way to do it?

Also, a few years ago I had the same problem with newsgroups.  The
"repair" option worked ... for a while.  Then the problem kept
repeating, so I had to keep repairing.  I never found a solution that
"stuck".

On 5/16/18 10:00 AM, Good Guy wrote:

> On 16/05/2018 17:48, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>
>> (I don't know if the actual interval is every day. But it happens very
>> frequently ... and even once is too much.)
>>
>> When I start TB and look at any of the folders I have created on it, I
>> get the response
>>
>>     "<folder name> downloading message header <messageNumber> of
>> <numberOfMessages>".
>>
>> Then the next day (or whenever) I get the same response -- and not
>> just for new messages; for *all* messages in the folder, including the
>> ones downloaded the previous time.
>>
>> Aren't these headers supposed to be kept permanently in the profile?
>> I never saw this behavior until recently.
>
> Perhaps you need to repair the folder.  To do this, right-click on the
> folder and then choose Properties.  You will see a button called "Repair
> folder".  Click once on it and the message index will be recreated.
>
> This may or may not resolve the problem you are having.
>
> Good luck.
>

> --
> With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

0
Dudley
5/16/2018 7:40:47 PM
Dudley Brooks wrote:
> When I start TB and look at any of the folders I have created on it, I
> get the response
>
> 	"<folder name> downloading message header <messageNumber> of
> <numberOfMessages>".
>
> Then the next day (or whenever) I get the same response -- and not just
> for new messages; for *all* messages in the folder, including the ones
> downloaded the previous time.
>
> Aren't these headers supposed to be kept permanently in the profile?  I
> never saw this behavior until recently.

How do you envisage synchronizing without comparing headers, or at
least relevant parts of the headers?
In order to locally compare headers, they first must be downloaded
from the server. IMAP can synchronize N devices. If you have deleted
message A on device X, the server is updated, but device Y will be
synchronized later, perhaps even much later.

-p

0
PietB
5/16/2018 8:00:09 PM
Yes, of course headers have to be downloaded in order to be compared for
..... any reason whatsoever.

My problem is that once they are downloaded ... they don't *stay*
downloaded!  They keep disappearing and having to be re-downloaded.  And
that did not use to happen.

Between the last time they were downloaded and when they have to be
re-downloaded, nothing has changed on any device.  (There are only two
devices involved: gmail and my laptop.)  No new messages received or
sent, no messages deleted or moved to another folder.  Just everything
disappeared from the folders on my laptop and needing to be downloaded
from gmail again.

On 5/16/18 1:00 PM, PietB wrote:

> Dudley Brooks wrote:
>
>> When I start TB and look at any of the folders I have created on it, I
>> get the response
>>
>> 	"<folder name> downloading message header <messageNumber> of
>> <numberOfMessages>".
>>
>> Then the next day (or whenever) I get the same response -- and not just
>> for new messages; for *all* messages in the folder, including the ones
>> downloaded the previous time.
>>
>> Aren't these headers supposed to be kept permanently in the profile?  I
>> never saw this behavior until recently.
>
> How do you envisage synchronizing without comparing headers, or at
> least relevant parts of the headers?
> In order to locally compare headers, they first must be downloaded
> from the server. IMAP can synchronize N devices. If you have deleted
> message A on device X, the server is updated, but device Y will be
> synchronized later, perhaps even much later.
>
> -p

0
Dudley
5/16/2018 8:21:58 PM
On 5/16/18 12:40 PM, Dudley Brooks wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Just to check before I do it:  That means that the headers will once
> again have to be downloaded ... but hopefully this first time only, right?
>
> The bad part is I will have to do it for every single folder.  Is there
> any "global" way to do it?
>
> Also, a few years ago I had the same problem with newsgroups.  The
> "repair" option worked ... for a while.  Then the problem kept
> repeating, so I had to keep repairing.  I never found a solution that
> "stuck".

In fact, the eventual solution was to completely get rid of that
newsgroup account and recreate it ... and the problem *still* eventually
started happening again.

--------------7084715825AB468532D858EA

On 16/05/2018 20:40, Dudley Brooks wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Just to check before I do it:  That means that the headers will once
> again have to be downloaded ... but hopefully this first time only,
> right?

Yes

> The bad part is I will have to do it for every single folder.  Is
> there any "global" way to do it?

Yes.  The global way is to delete the msf files in your TB profile. For
example, in my Yahoo IMAP folder, the msf files I need to delete are at
this location:

<C:\Users\*MYUserName*\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\*ud28fzkd.default*\ImapMail\imap.mail.yahoo.com>

In the above location, you need to change the following or browse the
location:

MyUserName
ud28fzkd.default
imap.mail.yahoo.com

> Also, a few years ago I had the same problem with newsgroups.  The
> "repair" option worked ... for a while.  Then the problem kept
> repeating, so I had to keep repairing.  I never found a solution that
> "stuck".

In this case there must be something peculiar about your system. The
settings normally remains "stuck" until the user changes them.

cite="mid:mailman.292.1526499729.2161.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">Thanks.
      Just to check before I do it:  That means that the headers will
      once again have to be downloaded ... but hopefully this first time
      only, right?
    Yes<br>
cite="mid:mailman.292.1526499729.2161.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"><br>
      The bad part is I will have to do it for every single folder.  Is
      there any "global" way to do it?
    Yes.  The global way is to delete the msf files in your TB profile.
    For example, in my Yahoo IMAP folder, the msf files I need to delete
    are at this location:<br>
    In the above location, you need to change the following or browse
    the location:<br>
    MyUserName<br>
    ud28fzkd.default<br>
    imap.mail.yahoo.com<br>
cite="mid:mailman.292.1526499729.2161.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"><br>
      Also, a few years ago I had the same problem with newsgroups.  The
      "repair" option worked ... for a while.  Then the problem kept
      repeating, so I had to keep repairing.  I never found a solution
      that "stuck".
    In this case there must be something peculiar about your system.
    The settings normally remains "stuck" until the user changes them.<br>
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>

--------------7084715825AB468532D858EA--
0
Good
5/16/2018 8:40:09 PM
OK, thanks.  I'm going to wait until the problem happens again -- on the
faint hope that it might be some temporary glitch.  Then, when it
happens again (*if* it happens again -- fingers crossed that it won't)
I'll try this solution.