TB 52.1.1 drops image from email

Two scenarios, same result.

1) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
Send it.
The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.

2)
a) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
b) Insert Link to the image (instead of a text link)

Send it.
The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.

The link is there,
no image.

Tested above scenarios with TB 45.8, and it works as expected.

Carl

0
Kingdaddy
5/17/2017 12:32:17 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22135 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Am 17.05.2017 um 02:32 schrieb Kingdaddy 2:
> Two scenarios, same result.
>
> 1) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
> Send it.
> The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.
>

> 2)
> a) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
> b) Insert Link to the image (instead of a text link)
>
> Send it.
> The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.
>
> The link is there,
> no image.
>

> Tested above scenarios with TB 45.8, and it works as expected.
>
> Carl

With TB 52.1.1 I've just received a mail of the type 'text and pasted
image in the body of html email' (which I know as the original composer
who sent this with TB 52.1 yesterday). The image is not in the text body
any longer and now attached to the mail.
0
rebro
5/17/2017 4:00:00 AM
On 5/17/2017 12:00 AM, rebro wrote:
> Am 17.05.2017 um 02:32 schrieb Kingdaddy 2:
>> Two scenarios, same result.
>>
>> 1) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
>> Send it.
>> The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.
>>

>> 2)
>> a) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
>> b) Insert Link to the image (instead of a text link)
>>
>> Send it.
>> The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.
>>
>> The link is there,
>> no image.
>>

>> Tested above scenarios with TB 45.8, and it works as expected.
>>
>> Carl
>>

> With TB 52.1.1 I've just received a mail of the type 'text and pasted
> image in the body of html email' (which I know as the original composer
> who sent this with TB 52.1 yesterday). The image is not in the text body
> any longer and now attached to the mail.

That sound like "Expected behavior" with a text body.

Account Settings / Composition & Addressing...
	Composition (checkbox) 'Compose messages in HTML format'
	(and more options)

My 'bug report' applies to that configuration.

When the image is 'lost' when I "send",
	there is  no image attached.

Carl
0
Kingdaddy
5/17/2017 1:50:48 PM
On 5/16/17 8:32 PM, Kingdaddy 2 wrote:
> Two scenarios, same result.
>
> 1) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
> Send it.
> The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.
>

> 2)
> a) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
> b) Insert Link to the image (instead of a text link)
>
> Send it.
> The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.
>
> The link is there,
> no image.
>

> Tested above scenarios with TB 45.8, and it works as expected.
>
> Carl

Possibly?

> IMPORTANT: The way images are included in a compose window has changed. Images are now included as data URIs and not as references to parts of other messages or operating system files. This allows better interoperability with office packages such as MS Office or LibreOffice. Images linked from locations on the internet will no longer be downloaded and attached to the message automatically. This can be changed for each image individually via the Image Properties dialog or globally by setting the preference mail.compose.attach_http_images.

or?

REF: <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/>

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Am 17.05.2017 um 15:50 schrieb Kingdaddy 2:
> On 5/17/2017 12:00 AM, rebro wrote:
>> Am 17.05.2017 um 02:32 schrieb Kingdaddy 2:
>>> Two scenarios, same result.
>>>
>>> 1) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
>>> Send it.
>>> The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.
>>>

>>> 2)
>>> a) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
>>> b) Insert Link to the image (instead of a text link)
>>>
>>> Send it.
>>> The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.
>>>
>>> The link is there,
>>> no image.
>>>

>>> Tested above scenarios with TB 45.8, and it works as expected.
>>>
>>> Carl
>>>

>> With TB 52.1.1 I've just received a mail of the type 'text and pasted
>> image in the body of html email' (which I know as the original composer
>> who sent this with TB 52.1 yesterday). The image is not in the text body
>> any longer and now attached to the mail.
>
> That sound like "Expected behavior" with a text body.
>
> Account Settings / Composition & Addressing...
>      Composition (checkbox) 'Compose messages in HTML format'
>      (and more options)
>
> My 'bug report' applies to that configuration.
>
> When the image is 'lost' when I "send",
>      there is  no image attached.
>
> Carl

You call this "Expected behavior" but I haven't ever met this before
though I have been constantly using this form of composing a mail for
more than ten years now.
0
rebro
5/17/2017 3:18:07 PM
On 5/17/2017 10:43 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 5/16/17 8:32 PM, Kingdaddy 2 wrote:
>> Two scenarios, same result.
>>
>> 1) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
>> Send it.
>> The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.
>>

>> 2)
>> a) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
>> b) Insert Link to the image (instead of a text link)
>>
>> Send it.
>> The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.
>>
>> The link is there,
>> no image.
>>

>> Tested above scenarios with TB 45.8, and it works as expected.
>>
>> Carl
>>

> Possibly?
>
>> IMPORTANT: The way images are included in a compose window has
>> changed. Images are now included as data URIs and not as references to
>> parts of other messages or operating system files. This allows better
>> interoperability with office packages such as MS Office or
>> LibreOffice. Images linked from locations on the internet will no
>> longer be downloaded and attached to the message automatically. This
>> can be changed for each image individually via the Image Properties
>> dialog or globally by setting the preference
>> mail.compose.attach_http_images.
>
> or?
>
>> Large attachments may not be shown or saved correctly if the message
>> is stored in an IMAP folder which is not synchronized for offline use.
>> Workaround: Set preference browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size to the
>> value of -1 (unlimited) and create integer preference
>> browser.cache.memory.capacity with the value of 200000 (200 MB, 25 MB
>> per message).
>

> REF: <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/>

I amusing POP.

100% of my images are always, and forever... copied to clipboard from my
image editor, Pasted into body.... as far back as I can remember

If it is a news story image, I always process through the editor, and
often make them smaller. (And sometimes insert a link to the story).

Rarely, I will attach one or more images;
0
Kingdaddy
5/18/2017 1:07:27 AM
Kingdaddy 2 wrote:
> On 5/17/2017 10:43 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 5/16/17 8:32 PM, Kingdaddy 2 wrote:
>>> Two scenarios, same result.
>>>
>>> 1) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
>>> Send it.
>>> The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.
>>>

>>> 2)
>>> a) Type text, and paste image into body of html email.
>>> b) Insert Link to the image (instead of a text link)
>>>
>>> Send it.
>>> The image is not in the sent folder copy of the email.
>>>
>>> The link is there,
>>> no image.
>>>

>>> Tested above scenarios with TB 45.8, and it works as expected.
>>>
>>> Carl
>>>

>> Possibly?
>>
>>> IMPORTANT: The way images are included in a compose window has
>>> changed. Images are now included as data URIs and not as references to
>>> parts of other messages or operating system files. This allows better
>>> interoperability with office packages such as MS Office or
>>> LibreOffice. Images linked from locations on the internet will no
>>> longer be downloaded and attached to the message automatically. This
>>> can be changed for each image individually via the Image Properties
>>> dialog or globally by setting the preference
>>> mail.compose.attach_http_images.
>>
>> or?
>>
>>> Large attachments may not be shown or saved correctly if the message
>>> is stored in an IMAP folder which is not synchronized for offline use.
>>> Workaround: Set preference browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size to the
>>> value of -1 (unlimited) and create integer preference
>>> browser.cache.memory.capacity with the value of 200000 (200 MB, 25 MB
>>> per message).
>>

>> REF: <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/>
>>

> I amusing POP.
>
> 100% of my images are always, and forever... copied to clipboard from my
> image editor, Pasted into body.... as far back as I can remember
>
> If it is a news story image, I always process through the editor, and
> often make them smaller. (And sometimes insert a link to the story).
>
> Rarely, I will attach one or more images;
the image source is tracked through the clipboard.  the new behavior
defaults to sending the link, not the image.

after you paste the image, select it, click on the object icon (to the
left of the emoticon icon) and select image.  You will see that you need
to check include image to get the old behavior.
0
Millwood
5/18/2017 1:33:35 PM
On 5/18/2017 9:33 AM, Millwood wrote:
> Kingdaddy 2 wrote:

>>> Possibly?

>>> or?

>>> REF: <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/>
>>>

>> I amusing POP.
>>
>> 100% of my images are always, and forever... copied to clipboard from
>> my image editor, Pasted into body.... as far back as I can remember
>>
>> If it is a news story image, I always process through the editor, and
>> often make them smaller. (And sometimes insert a link to the story).
>>
>> Rarely, I will attach one or more images;
> the image source is tracked through the clipboard.  the new behavior
> defaults to sending the link, not the image.
>
> after you paste the image, select it, click on the object icon (to the
> left of the emoticon icon) and select image.  You will see that you need
> to check include image to get the old behavior.

Thanks for that useful information.  I had not noticed the tabs before.
It just worked... for years.

After I posted this thread, I went back to TB 45.
(Did that affect TB settings?)

I let it update to TB 52.1.1 and performed my testing.

After I performed Insert / Link... on the copy/paste image,
I clicked the "Location" tab, and the checkbox was already checked.
.....so I proceeded to send the note.

It worked: The Sent folder now has the image with the link.

Carl
(twilight zone?)
0
Kingdaddy
5/18/2017 5:01:31 PM
Am 18.05.2017 um 15:33 schrieb Millwood:
> Kingdaddy 2 wrote:

>>> Possibly?

>>> or?

>>> REF: <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/>
>>>

>> I amusing POP.
>>
>> 100% of my images are always, and forever... copied to clipboard from
>> my image editor, Pasted into body.... as far back as I can remember
>>
>> If it is a news story image, I always process through the editor, and
>> often make them smaller. (And sometimes insert a link to the story).
>>
>> Rarely, I will attach one or more images;
> the image source is tracked through the clipboard.  the new behavior
> defaults to sending the link, not the image.
>
> after you paste the image, select it, click on the object icon (to the
> left of the emoticon icon) and select image.  You will see that you need
> to check include image to get the old behavior.

Thanks. It works and the old behaviour is back again.
0
rebro
5/18/2017 5:15:03 PM
Millwood wrote:
> Kingdaddy 2 wrote:

>>> Possibly?

>>> or?

>>> REF: <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/>
>>>

>> I amusing POP.
>>
>> 100% of my images are always, and forever... copied to clipboard from
>> my image editor, Pasted into body.... as far back as I can remember
>>
>> If it is a news story image, I always process through the editor, and
>> often make them smaller. (And sometimes insert a link to the story).
>>
>> Rarely, I will attach one or more images;
> the image source is tracked through the clipboard.  the new behavior
> defaults to sending the link, not the image.
>
> after you paste the image, select it, click on the object icon (to the
> left of the emoticon icon) and select image.  You will see that you need
> to check include image to get the old behavior.
I bit of searching seems to indicate that setting
mail.compose.attach_http_images
true changes the default behaviour.
0
Millwood
5/18/2017 5:25:42 PM
On 5/18/17 1:25 PM, Millwood wrote:
> Millwood wrote:
>> Kingdaddy 2 wrote:

>>> I amusing POP.
>>>
>>> 100% of my images are always, and forever... copied to clipboard from
>>> my image editor, Pasted into body.... as far back as I can remember
>>>
>>> If it is a news story image, I always process through the editor, and
>>> often make them smaller. (And sometimes insert a link to the story).
>>>
>>> Rarely, I will attach one or more images;
>> the image source is tracked through the clipboard.  the new behavior
>> defaults to sending the link, not the image.
>>
>> after you paste the image, select it, click on the object icon (to the
>> left of the emoticon icon) and select image.  You will see that you
>> need to check include image to get the old behavior.

> I bit of searching seems to indicate that setting
> mail.compose.attach_http_images
> true changes the default behaviour.

Like reading it in my reply, quoted from the Release Notes, with a link
to the Release Notes?