TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time

My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time.  This behavior was not present in version 45.7.0.  To say that it is irritating
is an understatement as the mouse clicks are accumulated and performed all at once.

I am running TB on Windows 7 x64 with 16 GB of ram on an Intel 480 GB SSD with an Intel I-7 2600K cpu.  My TB profile is 36 GB.

Thanks,
Lynn
0
Lynn
3/8/2017 9:04:42 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22039 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time.  This behavior was
> not present in version 45.7.0.  To say that it is irritating is an
> understatement as the mouse clicks are accumulated and performed all at
> once.
>
> I am running TB on Windows 7 x64 with 16 GB of ram on an Intel 480 GB
> SSD with an Intel I-7 2600K cpu.  My TB profile is 36 GB.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

There were no new Thunderbird specific fixes in version 45.8.0, only
code changing is the core, common with Firefox. Therefore what you are
seeing is highly unlikely to be caused by Thunderbird code.

Start Windows in safe. If you find there is no problem, look elsewhere
at things like antivirus. It is not uncommon for TB updates to trigger
this type of behavior.
0
Wayne
3/8/2017 9:12:59 PM
On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time. This behavior
> was not present in version 45.7.0.  To say that it is irritating is an
> understatement as the mouse clicks are accumulated and performed all
> at once.
>
> I am running TB on Windows 7 x64 with 16 GB of ram on an Intel 480 GB
> SSD with an Intel I-7 2600K cpu.  My TB profile is 36 GB.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

Welcome to the TB gulag. The periodic lockup/hang behavior has been
evident since ~ v.43 and remains so to in v.45.8.

0
News
3/8/2017 9:15:05 PM
On 3/8/2017 3:04 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time.  This behavior was
> not present in version 45.7.0.  To say that it is irritating is an
> understatement as the mouse clicks are accumulated and performed all at
> once.
>
> I am running TB on Windows 7 x64 with 16 GB of ram on an Intel 480 GB
> SSD with an Intel I-7 2600K cpu.  My TB profile is 36 GB.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

It may just be that it's re-indexing your mail. I notice this when I
update to a new beta / TB version. I see my CPU hovering around 5% for
5-10 minutes and then it behaves normally.
0
TCW
3/8/2017 9:19:14 PM
On 3/8/2017 4:15 PM, News wrote:
> On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time. This behavior
>> was not present in version 45.7.0.  To say that it is irritating is an
>> understatement as the mouse clicks are accumulated and performed all
>> at once.
>>
>> I am running TB on Windows 7 x64 with 16 GB of ram on an Intel 480 GB
>> SSD with an Intel I-7 2600K cpu.  My TB profile is 36 GB.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lynn
>

> Welcome to the TB gulag. The periodic lockup/hang behavior has been
> evident since ~ v.43 and remains so to in v.45.8.

Perhaps there is such a thing. But you will note the OP had no trouble
prior to 45.8.0. So what you describe is likely unrelated to this user's
expreience. (And there never was a general release of v.43. Perhaps you
have a typo?)

0
Wayne
3/8/2017 9:27:18 PM
On 3/8/2017 4:27 PM, Wayne wrote:
> On 3/8/2017 4:15 PM, News wrote:
>> On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time. This behavior
>>> was not present in version 45.7.0.  To say that it is irritating is
>>> an understatement as the mouse clicks are accumulated and performed
>>> all at once.
>>>
>>> I am running TB on Windows 7 x64 with 16 GB of ram on an Intel 480
>>> GB SSD with an Intel I-7 2600K cpu.  My TB profile is 36 GB.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lynn
>>

>> Welcome to the TB gulag. The periodic lockup/hang behavior has been
>> evident since ~ v.43 and remains so to in v.45.8.
>
> Perhaps there is such a thing. But you will note the OP had no trouble
> prior to 45.8.0. So what you describe is likely unrelated to this
> user's expreience. (And there never was a general release of v.43.
> Perhaps you have a typo?)

Whatever it was more than a year ago. v.42? Whatever. The hang persists.
Posted here ad nauseum.

0
News
3/8/2017 9:54:24 PM
On 3/8/2017 4:54 PM, News wrote:
> On 3/8/2017 4:27 PM, Wayne wrote:

>>> Welcome to the TB gulag. The periodic lockup/hang behavior has been
>>> evident since ~ v.43 and remains so to in v.45.8.
>>
>> Perhaps there is such a thing. But you will note the OP had no trouble
>> prior to 45.8.0. So what you describe is likely unrelated to this
>> user's expreience. (And there never was a general release of v.43.
>> Perhaps you have a typo?)
>>
> Whatever it was more than a year ago. v.42? Whatever. The hang persists.
> Posted here ad nauseum.

 From 3/25/2016:

"Send Page/Send EMail" Link extensions in Chrome no longer working on TB
38.6

As subject states, extensions that worked for years and on prior
versions no longer work on TB 38.6
0
News
--------------1B970A404DD7C99365B5BE06

On Wed Mar 08 2017 16:54:24 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), News
<News@Group.Name> wrote:
> On 3/8/2017 4:27 PM, Wayne wrote:
>> On 3/8/2017 4:15 PM, News wrote:
>>> Welcome to the TB gulag. The periodic lockup/hang behavior has been
>>> evident since ~ v.43 and remains so to in v.45.8.
>> Perhaps there is such a thing. But you will note the OP had no trouble
>> prior to 45.8.0. So what you describe is likely unrelated to this
>> user's expreience. (And there never was a general release of v.43.
>> Perhaps you have a typo?)
>>
> Whatever it was more than a year ago. v.42? Whatever. The hang persists.
> Posted here ad nauseum.

Yeah, and as long as you continue to ignore that fact that it is AVAST
that is and has been causing your problem, you will continue to whine
about TB, when the PEBKAC.

The reality is, the vast majority of users are NOT experiencing the
problems you are - maybe because they are actually willing to listen?

--------------1B970A404DD7C99365B5BE06

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      (Eastern Standard Time), News <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:News@Group.Name">&lt;News@Group.Name&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">On 3/8/2017 4:27 PM, Wayne wrote:
</pre>
        <pre wrap="">On 3/8/2017 4:15 PM, News wrote:
</pre>
          <pre wrap="">Welcome to the TB gulag. The periodic lockup/hang behavior has been
evident since ~ v.43 and remains so to in v.45.8.
</pre>
        <pre wrap="">
Perhaps there is such a thing. But you will note the OP had no trouble
prior to 45.8.0. So what you describe is likely unrelated to this
user's expreience. (And there never was a general release of v.43.
Perhaps you have a typo?)

</pre>
      <pre wrap="">Whatever it was more than a year ago. v.42? Whatever. The hang persists.
Posted here ad nauseum.
</pre>
    Yeah, and as long as you continue to ignore that fact that it is
    AVAST that is and has been causing your problem, you will continue
    to whine about TB, when the PEBKAC.<br>
    The reality is, the vast majority of users are NOT experiencing the
    problems you are - maybe because they are actually willing to
    listen?<br>

--------------1B970A404DD7C99365B5BE06--
0
Disaster
3/9/2017 4:11:31 PM
On 3/9/2017 11:11 AM, Disaster Master wrote:
> On Wed Mar 08 2017 16:54:24 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), News
> <News@Group.Name> wrote:
>>> Perhaps there is such a thing. But you will note the OP had no trouble
>>> prior to 45.8.0. So what you describe is likely unrelated to this
>>> user's expreience. (And there never was a general release of v.43.
>>> Perhaps you have a typo?)
>>>
>> Whatever it was more than a year ago. v.42? Whatever. The hang persists.
>> Posted here ad nauseum.
>
> Yeah, and as long as you continue to ignore that fact that it is AVAST
> that is and has been causing your problem, you will continue to whine
> about TB, when the PEBKAC.
>
> The reality is, the vast majority of users are NOT experiencing the
> problems you are - maybe because they are actually willing to listen?

Hangs with and without Avast, as previously reported. Play again?

0
News
3/9/2017 4:45:56 PM
On 03/09/17 17:11, Disaster Master wrote:

> Yeah, and as long as you continue to ignore that fact that it is AVAST
> that is and has been causing your problem, you will continue to whine
> about TB, when the PEBKAC.

I don't have AVAST (not even Windows) and I've been experiencing these
delays for a long time, possibly a year as News says, but I can't tell
for sure.

In my case I believe it's due to some plugin (Lightning possibly, but
maybe CardBook); when I'll have time I'll try disabling them and see.

> The reality is, the vast majority of users are NOT experiencing the
> problems you are - maybe because they are actually willing to listen?

Maybe a problem exists even if it does not affect *most* users.
0
Andrea
3/9/2017 5:48:06 PM
On 3/9/2017 11:48 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 03/09/17 17:11, Disaster Master wrote:
>
>> Yeah, and as long as you continue to ignore that fact that it is AVAST
>> that is and has been causing your problem, you will continue to whine
>> about TB, when the PEBKAC.
>
> I don't have AVAST (not even Windows) and I've been experiencing these
> delays for a long time, possibly a year as News says, but I can't tell
> for sure.
>
> In my case I believe it's due to some plugin (Lightning possibly, but
> maybe CardBook); when I'll have time I'll try disabling them and see.
>

>> The reality is, the vast majority of users are NOT experiencing the
>> problems you are - maybe because they are actually willing to listen?
>
> Maybe a problem exists even if it does not affect *most* users.

I'm not on 45ESR myself but using 52.0b4 with lightning 5.4 and provider
for google 3.3. I have 11k messages across two IMAP accounts and gobs of
calendar events and no delay or lag or stuttering/lagging and I have an
old Dell E6410 with 8GB RAM and 7200RPM drive. My hunch is isn't
something else happening for these users. Maybe another plugin? Moving
to 52 (when it's released) should make a lot of these 45.x perf issue go
away.
0
TCW
3/9/2017 5:56:57 PM
Lynn McGuire wrote:

> My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time

What add-ons have you got installed?

0
Andy
3/9/2017 6:52:45 PM
On 3/9/2017 12:52 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
>> My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time
>
> What add-ons have you got installed?

All are disabled except Flash.

And the problem has not manifested today.  Nor since I rebooted yesterday afternoon with an uptime of 21 days.

Thanks,
Lynn

0
Lynn
--------------A543A06A9EC25716772F1A7E

On Thu Mar 09 2017 11:45:56 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), News
<News@Group.Name> wrote:
> Hangs with and without Avast, as previously reported. Play again?

You refused to UNINSTALL Avast to test, and the fact is, just
temporarily disabling is often not enough.

Again... you are one of the only ones having this kind of problem - you,
and the one who had 30+ remote calendars.

The reality is, the vast majority are NOT having this problem, which is
proof that it is NOT a generic Thunderbird problem, it is something with
your environment - whether it is Avast, a bad system driver, disk
corruption, or something else.

--------------A543A06A9EC25716772F1A7E

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      (Eastern Standard Time), News <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:News@Group.Name">&lt;News@Group.Name&gt;</a> wrote:
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Hangs with and without Avast, as previously reported. Play again?
</pre>
    You refused to UNINSTALL Avast to test, and the fact is, just
    temporarily disabling is often not enough.<br>
    Again... you are one of the only ones having this kind of problem -
    you, and the one who had 30+ remote calendars.<br>
    The reality is, the vast majority are NOT having this problem, which
    is proof that it is NOT a generic Thunderbird problem, it is
    something with your environment - whether it is Avast, a bad system
    driver, disk corruption, or something else.<br>

--------------A543A06A9EC25716772F1A7E--
0
Disaster
3/9/2017 7:38:32 PM
On 3/9/2017 2:38 PM, Disaster Master wrote:
> On Thu Mar 09 2017 11:45:56 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), News
> <News@Group.Name> wrote:
>> Hangs with and without Avast, as previously reported. Play again?
>
> You refused to UNINSTALL Avast to test, and the fact is, just
> temporarily disabling is often not enough.

Nope. Just wrong.

Uninstalled. No diff.

Installed beta. No diff.

Back to production. No diff.

NO FRIGGIN DIFF. TB HANGS.

> Again... you are one of the only ones having this kind of problem -
> you, and the one who had 30+ remote calendars.

Nope, somebody else with the TB hangs problem. There are many of us.

I have no Cals.

> The reality is, the vast majority are NOT having this problem, which
> is proof that it is NOT a generic Thunderbird problem, it is something
> with your environment - whether it is Avast, a bad system driver, disk
> corruption, or something else.

More termites emerge from the TB failures woodpile every day.

Play again?

Really, don't bother. WFC.

0
News
3/9/2017 7:46:36 PM
Lynn McGuire wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> What add-ons have you got installed?
>
> All are disabled except Flash.

Is mnenhy one of the addons you've disabled?

0
Andy
--------------AE622F18C29CB96BF5A61768

On Thu Mar 09 2017 12:48:06 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Andrea
Venturoli <ml@netfence.it> wrote:
> I don't have AVAST (not even Windows) and I've been experiencing these
> delays for a long time, possibly a year as News says, but I can't tell
> for sure.

It isn't just Avast, it is Antivirus in general, although apparently
Avast is more prone than some (except maybe McAfee or Norton).

> In my case I believe it's due to some plugin (Lightning possibly, but
> maybe CardBook); when I'll have time I'll try disabling them and see.

Lighting is a known issue if you have a lot of remote calendars. This
has been discussed before, but it generally isn't a problem if you only
have one or a few. Someone here a while back was complaining loudly
about this but had 30+ remote calendars, and didn't seem to think that
was a lot.

> Maybe a problem exists even if it does not affect *most* users.

Oh, there are bugs and problems, for sure, no one is denying that, but I
don't like it when someone loudly and persistently says 'TB is CRAP!'
just because they are in a tiny minority that are having a weird problem.

The bottom line is, if you are having problems like this, there is a
reason for it, it is just a matter of finding the cause - but some
people would just prefer to complain.

--------------AE622F18C29CB96BF5A61768

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      (Eastern Standard Time), Andrea Venturoli <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:ml@netfence.it">&lt;ml@netfence.it&gt;</a>
      wrote:
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">I don't have AVAST (not even Windows) and I've been experiencing these
delays for a long time, possibly a year as News says, but I can't tell
for sure.</pre>
    It isn't just Avast, it is Antivirus in general, although apparently
    Avast is more prone than some (except maybe McAfee or Norton).<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">In my case I believe it's due to some plugin (Lightning possibly, but
maybe CardBook); when I'll have time I'll try disabling them and see.</pre>
    Lighting is a known issue if you have a lot of remote calendars.
    This has been discussed before, but it generally isn't a problem if
    you only have one or a few. Someone here a while back was
    complaining loudly about this but had 30+ remote calendars, and
    didn't seem to think that was a lot.<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Maybe a problem exists even if it does not affect *most* users.
</pre>
    Oh, there are bugs and problems, for sure, no one is denying that,
    but I don't like it when someone loudly and persistently says 'TB is
    CRAP!' just because they are in a tiny minority that are having a
    weird problem.<br>
    The bottom line is, if you are having problems like this, there is a
    reason for it, it is just a matter of finding the cause - but some
    people would just prefer to complain.<br>

--------------AE622F18C29CB96BF5A61768--
0
Disaster
--------------2BA9AA0B5B2D4D7FB8426309

On Thu Mar 09 2017 14:32:16 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Lynn
McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/9/2017 12:52 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>
>>> My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time
>> What add-ons have you got installed?
> All are disabled except Flash.

Ok, I can't believe I never even looked. I had no idea that Flash was
installed for TB, much less the dozen or so other ones in there. Sheesh.

This begs a question I've always been meaning to ask...

Why is there no way to uninstall/remove plugins, like there is for Addons?

> And the problem has not manifested today.  Nor since I rebooted yesterday afternoon with an uptime of 21 days.

Happy to hear it...

--------------2BA9AA0B5B2D4D7FB8426309

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      (Eastern Standard Time), Lynn McGuire
      <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:lynnmcguire5@gmail.com">&lt;lynnmcguire5@gmail.com&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">On 3/9/2017 12:52 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
</pre>
        <pre wrap="">Lynn McGuire wrote:

</pre>
          <pre wrap="">My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time
</pre>
        <pre wrap="">
What add-ons have you got installed?
</pre>
      <pre wrap="">
All are disabled except Flash.</pre>
    Ok, I can't believe I never even looked. I had no idea that Flash
    was installed for TB, much less the dozen or so other ones in there.
    Sheesh.<br>
    This begs a question I've always been meaning to ask...<br>
    Why is there no way to uninstall/remove plugins, like there is for
    Addons?<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">And the problem has not manifested today.  Nor since I rebooted yesterday afternoon with an uptime of 21 days.
</pre>
    Happy to hear it...<br>

--------------2BA9AA0B5B2D4D7FB8426309--
0
Disaster
--------------1DCD5DE89038792E86AC92A4

On Thu Mar 09 2017 14:46:36 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), News
<News@Group.Name> wrote:
> Nope, somebody else with the TB hangs problem. There are many of us.

No, there are actually very few, and far fewer who experience this for
any length of time before figuring out and resolving the cause.

> Really, don't bother. WFC.

Exactly.

--------------1DCD5DE89038792E86AC92A4

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      (Eastern Standard Time), News <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:News@Group.Name">&lt;News@Group.Name&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Nope, somebody else with the TB hangs problem. There are many of us.</pre>
    No, there are actually very few, and far fewer who experience this
    for any length of time before figuring out and resolving the cause.<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Really, don't bother. WFC.
</pre>
    Exactly.<br>

--------------1DCD5DE89038792E86AC92A4--
0
Disaster
3/9/2017 9:21:22 PM
On 3/9/2017 4:21 PM, Disaster Master wrote:
> On Thu Mar 09 2017 14:46:36 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), News
> <News@Group.Name> wrote:
>> Nope, somebody else with the TB hangs problem. There are many of us.
>
> No, there are actually very few, and far fewer who experience this for
> any length of time before figuring out and resolving the cause.
>
>> Really, don't bother. WFC.
>
> Exactly.

Right, and it's not 'two seconds at a time', it is often into the minutes.

TB has turned into a POS build that I suspect cannot handle a RAID mail
spool.

0
News
3/9/2017 9:29:46 PM
On Thursday, 09. March 2017 at 22:44 W. EST, News wrote:

> Nope, somebody else with the TB hangs problem. There are many of us.

Given the number of TB users and the frequency of these reports, there
are some, not many.

For example, I've never seen these issues and I've been using TB for
many years. In fact, performance was worse in the 2.x/3.x days than it
is today. I'm a fairly heavy user with 3 mail accounts - one of them is
a huge GMail account with messages dating back to 2004 (when gmail was
still in beta and not everyone could join), 2 newsserver accounts and
quite a few RSS subscriptions and TB is running smoothly.

I'm conservative on add-ons though, using just what I need and I do not
use any AV software (a main cause of many problems), since I consider it
snake-oil and a mostly useless waste of system performance for an
experienced user.

--
'%d!' % (1337*math.pi/100)
0
On 3/9/17 4:29 PM, News wrote:
> On 3/9/2017 4:21 PM, Disaster Master wrote:
>> On Thu Mar 09 2017 14:46:36 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), News
>> <News@Group.Name> wrote:
>>> Nope, somebody else with the TB hangs problem. There are many of us.
>>
>> No, there are actually very few, and far fewer who experience this
>> for any length of time before figuring out and resolving the cause.
>>
>>> Really, don't bother. WFC.
>>
>> Exactly.
>

> Right, and it's not 'two seconds at a time', it is often into the
> minutes.
>
> TB has turned into a POS build that I suspect cannot handle a RAID
> mail spool.

What is a RAID mail spool and are you using one with your hanging
Thunderbird?

Does it hang without the RAID mail spool?

Looks like Lynn solved her problem by rebooting her computer after
having 21 days of uptime. Do you reboot or is it on all the time?

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

0
WaltS48
3/9/2017 10:36:47 PM
On 3/9/2017 5:36 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 3/9/17 4:29 PM, News wrote:
>> On 3/9/2017 4:21 PM, Disaster Master wrote:
>>>
>>> No, there are actually very few, and far fewer who experience this
>>> for any length of time before figuring out and resolving the cause.

>>> Exactly.
>>

>> Right, and it's not 'two seconds at a time', it is often into the
>> minutes.
>>
>> TB has turned into a POS build that I suspect cannot handle a RAID
>> mail spool.
>>

> What is a RAID mail spool and are you using one with your hanging
> Thunderbird?
>
> Does it hang without the RAID mail spool?
>
> Looks like Lynn solved her problem by rebooting her computer after
> having 21 days of uptime. Do you reboot or is it on all the time?

The WKS operates on RAID storage, for a reason. Not unwinding it for TB.

Periodic reboots, typically weekly or when required by software updates.

0
News
3/10/2017 2:15:09 AM
On 3/9/17 9:15 PM, News wrote:
> On 3/9/2017 5:36 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Right, and it's not 'two seconds at a time', it is often into the
>>> minutes.
>>>
>>> TB has turned into a POS build that I suspect cannot handle a RAID
>>> mail spool.
>>>

>> What is a RAID mail spool and are you using one with your hanging
>> Thunderbird?
>>
>> Does it hang without the RAID mail spool?
>>
>> Looks like Lynn solved her problem by rebooting her computer after
>> having 21 days of uptime. Do you reboot or is it on all the time?
>>

> The WKS operates on RAID storage, for a reason. Not unwinding it for TB.
>
> Periodic reboots, typically weekly or when required by software updates.

WKS?

I guess we found the cause of your lockups.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

0
WaltS48
3/10/2017 3:17:26 AM
On 2017-0309 16:14, Disaster Master wrote:

>>> What add-ons have you got installed?
>> All are disabled except Flash.
>
> Ok, I can't believe I never even looked. I had no idea that Flash was
> installed for TB, much less the dozen or so other ones in there. Sheesh.

Yes, they make me realize I must lack imagination about the uses of a
mail/news/chat client.  That said ...

> This begs a question I've always been meaning to ask...
>
> Why is there no way to uninstall/remove plugins, like there is for Addons?

Good question. I figure I don't know enough to remove them, but have run
with all of them disabled ("Never Activate") forever, with no obvious loss
of functionality. [Again, I probably lack imagination ...]  Would something
be improved by removing them?
0
John
3/10/2017 4:36:49 AM
On 09/03/2017 22:14, Disaster Master wrote:
> On Thu Mar 09 2017 14:32:16 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Lynn
> McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What add-ons have you got installed?
>> All are disabled except Flash.
>
> Ok, I can't believe I never even looked. I had no idea that Flash was
> installed for TB, much less the dozen or so other ones in there. Sheesh.
>
> This begs a question I've always been meaning to ask...
>
> Why is there no way to uninstall/remove plugins, like there is for Addons?

All my (default) plugins are in a 'Never activate' state. However, I do
not even see a Flash plugin. Why/How come have you have a Flash plugin?
(TB 45.8 on Win 10)
0
kes
3/10/2017 8:42:28 AM
On 03/09/17 18:56, TCW wrote:

> I'm not on 45ESR myself but using 52.0b4 with lightning 5.4 and provider
> for google 3.3. I have 11k messages across two IMAP accounts and gobs of
> calendar events and no delay or lag or stuttering/lagging and I have an
> old Dell E6410 with 8GB RAM and 7200RPM drive.

I've got 25 IMAP accounts (most of them not normally synchronized
however), with tens of thousands of messages overall; add 4 calendars, 3
News accounts, 2 CardBook accounts, and several RSS feeds.
My TB profile is on a NFS volume.
I've got 4GiB of RAMS, but normally about 2 are free.

This is a long standing setup, but I've only been experiencing these
hangs (0.5 to 3 seconds) since some months.
The only thing that changed are TB updates and plugins; I haven't had
time to sort things out, since, although annoying, it's not a critical
problem (and I have worse ones to solve).

> Maybe another plugin?

I've got several:
1) Lightning;
2) CardBook;
3) ImportExportTools;
4) Manually sort folders;
5) Signature switch;
6) ThunderPEC.

6) is disabled; 4) was only installed yesterday so can't be the culprit.
3) and 5) should not do any net traffic.
That's why I think 1) or 2) should be blamed.

> Moving
> to 52 (when it's released) should make a lot of these 45.x perf issue go
> away.

That'd be great.
I'll upgrade in any case when it's out and ported.

  bye & Thanks
	av.
0
Andrea
3/10/2017 9:22:35 AM
On 03/10/17 10:22, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> I've got 25 IMAP accounts (most of them not normally synchronized
> however), with tens of thousands of messages overall; add 4 calendars, 3
> News accounts, 2 CardBook accounts, and several RSS feeds.
> My TB profile is on a NFS volume.
> I've got 4GiB of RAMS, but normally about 2 are free.

Forgot to mention: of the 4 calendars, only 1 is enabled and the server
is on the LAN.
Also the 2 CardBook accounts' server is on the LAN.

  bye
	av.

0
Andrea
3/10/2017 9:25:42 AM
On 3/10/17 4:25 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 03/10/17 10:22, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>
>> I've got 25 IMAP accounts (most of them not normally synchronized
>> however), with tens of thousands of messages overall; add 4 calendars, 3
>> News accounts, 2 CardBook accounts, and several RSS feeds.
>> My TB profile is on a NFS volume.
>> I've got 4GiB of RAMS, but normally about 2 are free.
>
> Forgot to mention: of the 4 calendars, only 1 is enabled and the
> server is on the LAN.
> Also the 2 CardBook accounts' server is on the LAN.
>
>  bye
>     av.

So, News has a workstation with a RAID Mail Spool, you have accounts on
a LAN, Lynn didn't reboot her PC for 21 days.

Are we starting to see a pattern of users leaving systems on and
Thunderbird always running, causing these hangups?

I just have a Linux desktop, which I close all programs on and shutdown
every night.  I don't have any calendars on a network, few extensions,
and don't experience any hangups with any of the versions of Thunderbird
I use.

I don't use my Windows 10 laptop enough to comment on whether
Thunderbird hangs on it.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

0
WaltS48
3/10/2017 1:24:17 PM
On 3/9/2017 12:56 PM, TCW wrote:
> On 3/9/2017 11:48 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>> On 03/09/17 17:11, Disaster Master wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, and as long as you continue to ignore that fact that it is AVAST
>>> that is and has been causing your problem, you will continue to whine
>>> about TB, when the PEBKAC.
>>
>> I don't have AVAST (not even Windows) and I've been experiencing these
>> delays for a long time, possibly a year as News says, but I can't tell
>> for sure.
>>
>> In my case I believe it's due to some plugin (Lightning possibly, but
>> maybe CardBook); when I'll have time I'll try disabling them and see.
>>

>>> The reality is, the vast majority of users are NOT experiencing the
>>> problems you are - maybe because they are actually willing to listen?
>>
>> Maybe a problem exists even if it does not affect *most* users.
>
> I'm not on 45ESR myself but using 52.0b4 with lightning 5.4 and provider
> for google 3.3. I have 11k messages across two IMAP accounts and gobs of
> calendar events and no delay or lag or stuttering/lagging and I have an
> old Dell E6410 with 8GB RAM and 7200RPM drive.

Your personal experience is merely anecdotal (like mine), and should not
be used to generalize what might be the experience of a larger
population. Even if you have poor hardware compared to those who are
reporting performance issues.

 > My hunch is isn't
> something else happening for these users. Maybe another plugin? Moving
> to 52 (when it's released) should make a lot of these 45.x perf issue go
> away.

In the last few years of answering hundreds of support issues, I have
yet to see a plug-in causing a performance issue. Extension, yes,
plug-in, no.  IMO plugins causing TB performance issues is an ugly myth.
If anyone knows of a legit report, please give full citation.
0
Wayne
3/10/2017 2:08:13 PM
On 3/9/2017 10:17 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 3/9/17 9:15 PM, News wrote:

>>> What is a RAID mail spool and are you using one with your hanging
>>> Thunderbird?
>>>
>>> Does it hang without the RAID mail spool?
>>>
>>> Looks like Lynn solved her problem by rebooting her computer after
>>> having 21 days of uptime. Do you reboot or is it on all the time?
>>>

>> The WKS operates on RAID storage, for a reason. Not unwinding it for TB.
>>
>> Periodic reboots, typically weekly or when required by software updates.
>>

> WKS?
>
> I guess we found the cause of your lockups.

Workstation. If that's the problem, TB is fucked.

0
News
3/10/2017 2:45:00 PM
On 3/9/2017, 4:29:46 PM, News <News@Group.Name> wrote:
> TB has turned into a POS build that I suspect cannot handle a RAID mail
> spool.

Define 'RAID mail spool'.
0
Tanstaafl
3/10/2017 2:48:39 PM
On 3/9/2017, 9:15:09 PM, News <News@Group.Name> wrote:
> The WKS

Define 'WKS'
0
Tanstaafl
--------------F8EF7FF643503C964A0274F6

On 3/9/2017, 11:36:49 PM, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@nb.net> wrote:
> On 2017-0309 16:14, Disaster Master wrote:
>> This begs a question I've always been meaning to ask...
>>
>> Why is there no way to uninstall/remove plugins, like there is for Addons?
> Good question. I figure I don't know enough to remove them, but have run
> with all of them disabled ("Never Activate") forever, with no obvious loss
> of functionality. [Again, I probably lack imagination ...]  Would something
> be improved by removing them?

My sunny disposition? ;)

--------------F8EF7FF643503C964A0274F6

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:kaufmann@nb.net">&lt;kaufmann@nb.net&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
      <pre wrap="">On 2017-0309 16:14, Disaster Master wrote:
</pre>
        <pre wrap="">This begs a question I've always been meaning to ask...

Why is there no way to uninstall/remove plugins, like there is for Addons?
</pre>
      <pre wrap="">
Good question. I figure I don't know enough to remove them, but have run
with all of them disabled ("Never Activate") forever, with no obvious loss
of functionality. [Again, I probably lack imagination ...]  Would something
be improved by removing them?
</pre>
    My sunny disposition? ;)<br>

--------------FEE5EA1804FB1341CFA0D880

On 3/9/2017, 10:17:26 PM, WaltS48 <thalionusa@REMOVEaol.com> wrote:
> On 3/9/17 9:15 PM, News wrote:
>> The WKS operates on RAID storage, for a reason. Not unwinding it for TB.
>>
>> Periodic reboots, typically weekly or when required by software updates.
> WKS?
>
> I guess we found the cause of your lockups.

If he just means his 'Workstation' OS is running on a RAID setup, that
shouldn't matter - unless his RAID is broken.

That said -  what KIND of RAID? 0? 1? 5? 6? 10? Using what kind of
drives (I've seen lots of cases where people who don't know any better
use consumer grade drives in RAID setups, which WILL have problems like
this).

--------------FEE5EA1804FB1341CFA0D880

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:thalionusa@REMOVEaol.com">&lt;thalionusa@REMOVEaol.com&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">On 3/9/17 9:15 PM, News wrote:
</pre>
        <pre wrap="">The WKS operates on RAID storage, for a reason. Not unwinding it for TB.

Periodic reboots, typically weekly or when required by software updates.
</pre>
      <pre wrap="">
WKS?

I guess we found the cause of your lockups.
</pre>
    If he just means his 'Workstation' OS is running on a RAID setup,
    that shouldn't matter - unless his RAID is broken.<br>
    That said -� what KIND of RAID? 0? 1? 5? 6? 10? Using what kind of
    drives (I've seen lots of cases where people who don't know any
    better use consumer grade drives in RAID setups, which WILL have
    problems like this).<br>

--------------DC9BB97CD213D44638E0D455

On 3/10/2017, 8:24:17 AM, WaltS48 <thalionusa@REMOVEaol.com> wrote:
> So, News has a workstation with a RAID Mail Spool, you have accounts on
> a LAN, Lynn didn't reboot her PC for 21 days.
>
> Are we starting to see a pattern of users leaving systems on and
> Thunderbird always running, causing these hangups?

??? That comment makes no sense. What do a RAID setup and having
'accounts on a LAN' have to do with leaving TB running all the time?

--------------DC9BB97CD213D44638E0D455

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:thalionusa@REMOVEaol.com">&lt;thalionusa@REMOVEaol.com&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">So, News has a workstation with a RAID Mail Spool, you have accounts on
a LAN, Lynn didn't reboot her PC for 21 days.

Are we starting to see a pattern of users leaving systems on and
Thunderbird always running, causing these hangups?</pre>
    ??? That comment makes no sense. What do a RAID setup and having
    'accounts on a LAN' have to do with leaving TB running all the time?<br>

--------------DC9BB97CD213D44638E0D455--
0
Disaster
3/10/2017 3:06:53 PM
On 3/10/17 10:06 AM, Disaster Master wrote:
> On 3/10/2017, 8:24:17 AM, WaltS48 <thalionusa@REMOVEaol.com> wrote:
>> So, News has a workstation with a RAID Mail Spool, you have accounts on
>> a LAN, Lynn didn't reboot her PC for 21 days.
>>
>> Are we starting to see a pattern of users leaving systems on and
>> Thunderbird always running, causing these hangups?
>
> ??? That comment makes no sense. What do a RAID setup and having
> 'accounts on a LAN' have to do with leaving TB running all the time?

I'm guessing that like Lynn, who rebooted her system after having it on
continuously for 21 days and that solved the locking up problem for her,
the others also leave their systems on continuously, using them in
configurations beyond my technical expertise, might also solve their
problem by rebooting.

Made sense to me when I composed it and still does, after the coffee has
kicked in.

Anyway, I'm one of millions that don't have problems, so I'm out.

--------------1006265889BAA630155342D5

On 3/10/2017, 10:35:40 AM, WaltS48 <thalionusa@REMOVEaol.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing that like Lynn, who rebooted her system after having it on
> continuously for 21 days and that solved the locking up problem for her,
> the others also leave their systems on continuously, using them in
> configurations beyond my technical expertise, might also solve their
> problem by rebooting.

Which totally misses my point.

You reference two others, one had his 'mail spool' on a RAID, the other
had accounts on a LAN - NEITHER of which have ANYTHING to do with
leaving a computer on for extended periods of time.

> Made sense to me when I composed it and still does, after the coffee has
> kicked in.

I think you need some more caffeine then (if that is what you rely on to
make sense of things).

--------------1006265889BAA630155342D5

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:thalionusa@REMOVEaol.com">&lt;thalionusa@REMOVEaol.com&gt;</a> wrote:
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">I'm guessing that like Lynn, who rebooted her system after having it on
continuously for 21 days and that solved the locking up problem for her,
the others also leave their systems on continuously, using them in
configurations beyond my technical expertise, might also solve their
problem by rebooting.</pre>
    Which totally misses my point.<br>
    You reference two others, one had his 'mail spool' on a RAID, the
    other had accounts on a LAN - NEITHER of which have ANYTHING to do
    with leaving a computer on for extended periods of time.<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Made sense to me when I composed it and still does, after the coffee has
kicked in.</pre>
    I think you need some more caffeine then (if that is what you rely
    on to make sense of things).<br>

--------------1006265889BAA630155342D5--
0
Disaster
3/10/2017 4:00:14 PM
On 3/10/2017 10:02 AM, Disaster Master wrote:
> On 3/9/2017, 10:17:26 PM, WaltS48 <thalionusa@REMOVEaol.com> wrote:
>> On 3/9/17 9:15 PM, News wrote:
>>> The WKS operates on RAID storage, for a reason. Not unwinding it for TB.
>>>
>>> Periodic reboots, typically weekly or when required by software updates.
>> WKS?
>>
>> I guess we found the cause of your lockups.
>
> If he just means his 'Workstation' OS is running on a RAID setup, that
> shouldn't matter - unless his RAID is broken.
>
> That said -  what KIND of RAID? 0? 1? 5? 6? 10? Using what kind of
> drives (I've seen lots of cases where people who don't know any better
> use consumer grade drives in RAID setups, which WILL have problems
> like this).

Intel Xeon workstation, Windows 10, running on Intel Pro 1500 SSDs in a
RAID 1 configuration, which Intel SSD Toolbox checks OK, on which the TB
local mail directory resides (RAID 1 mirrored)

TB hangs frequently, randomly, and for up to 2 minutes at a time, and
has for more than a year

0
News
--------------7F6D1F7465F1E61DBC5019A9

On Fri Mar 10 2017 11:14:44 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), News
<News@Group.Name> wrote:
> Intel Xeon workstation, Windows 10, running on Intel Pro 1500 SSDs in a
> RAID 1 configuration, which Intel SSD Toolbox checks OK, on which the TB
> local mail directory resides (RAID 1 mirrored)

So, your RAID likely isn't to blame.

> TB hangs frequently, randomly, and for up to 2 minutes at a time, and
> has for more than a year

So you'll need to keep looking for the cause. Hint: it isn't TB itself.

--------------7F6D1F7465F1E61DBC5019A9

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      (Eastern Standard Time), News <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:News@Group.Name">&lt;News@Group.Name&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Intel Xeon workstation, Windows 10, running on Intel Pro 1500 SSDs in a
RAID 1 configuration, which Intel SSD Toolbox checks OK, on which the TB
local mail directory resides (RAID 1 mirrored)</pre>
    So, your RAID likely isn't to blame.<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">TB hangs frequently, randomly, and for up to 2 minutes at a time, and
has for more than a year
</pre>
    So you'll need to keep looking for the cause. Hint: it isn't TB
    itself.<br>

--------------7F6D1F7465F1E61DBC5019A9--
0
Disaster
3/10/2017 4:22:13 PM
On 3/10/2017 11:14 AM, News wrote:
> On 3/10/2017 10:02 AM, Disaster Master wrote:

>>> WKS?
>>>
>>> I guess we found the cause of your lockups.
>>
>> If he just means his 'Workstation' OS is running on a RAID setup, that
>> shouldn't matter - unless his RAID is broken.
>>
>> That said -  what KIND of RAID? 0? 1? 5? 6? 10? Using what kind of
>> drives (I've seen lots of cases where people who don't know any better
>> use consumer grade drives in RAID setups, which WILL have problems
>> like this).
>

> Intel Xeon workstation, Windows 10, running on Intel Pro 1500 SSDs in a
> RAID 1 configuration, which Intel SSD Toolbox checks OK, on which the TB
> local mail directory resides (RAID 1 mirrored)
>
> TB hangs frequently, randomly, and for up to 2 minutes at a time, and
> has for more than a year

Just a thought on the hang ups.  As I understand you keep Thunderbird
running all of the time and the TB profiles are mirrored to two disk in
the Raid.

I know when I back up my TB profile that TB will pause for a period as
the files are being copied.

I do know from what you have said you have several profiles and many
emails in each profile.  ie probably GB of data.

Could the lock ups that you are experiencing be caused when the disk are
mirror from one disk to the other?   i.e. the profile is "backed up"

If this were the case, this would account for the frequency, and it
would take time to move the profile from one disk to the other.

If this were the case, you could eliminate the hang ups by changing the
set up of the Raid mirroring, or not mirror the profiles and do a back
up at times when you are not at the computer.

0
Keith
--------------B55ABD8FB0B166E2782A624F

On Fri Mar 10 2017 11:50:26 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Keith
Nuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Just a thought on the hang ups.  As I understand you keep Thunderbird
> running all of the time and the TB profiles are mirrored to two disk in
> the Raid.

Did I miss something? Is News accessing the same mail store from two
different Thunderbird instances at the same time?

If so, that could definitely cause problems.

> Could the lock ups that you are experiencing be caused when the disk are
> mirror from one disk to the other?   i.e. the profile is "backed up"

No, no,  that is not how RAID works. As long as he is using enterprise
class drives (ie, don't have that stupid power saving junk that can
cause them to get out of sync and thus cause corruption), that is not
the cause.

--------------B55ABD8FB0B166E2782A624F

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      (Eastern Standard Time), Keith Nuttle
      <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net">&lt;keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net&gt;</a> wrote:
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Just a thought on the hang ups.  As I understand you keep Thunderbird
running all of the time and the TB profiles are mirrored to two disk in
the Raid.</pre>
    Did I miss something? Is News accessing the same mail store from two
    different Thunderbird instances at the same time?<br>
    If so, that could definitely cause problems.<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Could the lock ups that you are experiencing be caused when the disk are
mirror from one disk to the other?   i.e. the profile is "backed up"</pre>
    No, no,� that is not how RAID works. As long as he is using
    enterprise class drives (ie, don't have that stupid power saving
    junk that can cause them to get out of sync and thus cause
    corruption), that is not the cause.<br>

--------------B55ABD8FB0B166E2782A624F--
0
Disaster
3/10/2017 4:58:22 PM
Lynn McGuire wrote:
> My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time. This behavior was
> not present in version 45.7.0. To say that it is irritating is an
> understatement as the mouse clicks are accumulated and performed all at
> once.
>
> I am running TB on Windows 7 x64 with 16 GB of ram on an Intel 480 GB
> SSD with an Intel I-7 2600K cpu. My TB profile is 36 GB.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

Lynn, are you still there? :) Did you try Wayne's suggestion of starting
in safe mode?

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 3/10/2017 11:25 AM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time. This behavior was
>> not present in version 45.7.0. To say that it is irritating is an
>> understatement as the mouse clicks are accumulated and performed all at
>> once.
>>
>> I am running TB on Windows 7 x64 with 16 GB of ram on an Intel 480 GB
>> SSD with an Intel I-7 2600K cpu. My TB profile is 36 GB.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lynn
>
> Lynn, are you still there? :) Did you try Wayne's suggestion of starting in safe mode?

The problem has gone away since I rebooted.  I should have done that first before complaining.

Or maybe Thunderbird was re-indexing on the main thread and finished.

Thanks,
Lynn
0
Lynn
3/10/2017 7:33:28 PM
On 3/10/2017 7:24 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 3/10/17 4:25 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>> On 03/10/17 10:22, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>>
>>> I've got 25 IMAP accounts (most of them not normally synchronized
>>> however), with tens of thousands of messages overall; add 4 calendars, 3
>>> News accounts, 2 CardBook accounts, and several RSS feeds.
>>> My TB profile is on a NFS volume.
>>> I've got 4GiB of RAMS, but normally about 2 are free.
>>
>> Forgot to mention: of the 4 calendars, only 1 is enabled and the server is on the LAN.
>> Also the 2 CardBook accounts' server is on the LAN.
>>
>>  bye
>>     av.
>>

> So, News has a workstation with a RAID Mail Spool, you have accounts on a LAN, Lynn didn't reboot her PC for 21 days.
>
> Are we starting to see a pattern of users leaving systems on and Thunderbird always running, causing these hangups?
>
> I just have a Linux desktop, which I close all programs on and shutdown every night.  I don't have any calendars on a network, few
> extensions, and don't experience any hangups with any of the versions of Thunderbird I use.
>
> I don't use my Windows 10 laptop enough to comment on whether Thunderbird hangs on it.

I restart my Thunderbird daily.  I only reboot if necessary.

Lynn

0
Lynn
3/10/2017 7:35:46 PM
On 3/10/2017 11:58 AM, Disaster Master wrote:
> On Fri Mar 10 2017 11:50:26 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Keith
> Nuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Just a thought on the hang ups.  As I understand you keep Thunderbird
>> running all of the time and the TB profiles are mirrored to two disk in
>> the Raid.
>
> Did I miss something? Is News accessing the same mail store from two
> different Thunderbird instances at the same time?

No. Single TB instance, single profile, single Local Folder.
0
News
3/10/2017 9:05:22 PM
On 3/10/2017 2:33 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 3/10/2017 11:25 AM, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> My TB 45.8.0 is locking up for two seconds at a time. This behavior was
>>> not present in version 45.7.0. To say that it is irritating is an
>>> understatement as the mouse clicks are accumulated and performed all at
>>> once.
>>>
>>> I am running TB on Windows 7 x64 with 16 GB of ram on an Intel 480 GB
>>> SSD with an Intel I-7 2600K cpu. My TB profile is 36 GB.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lynn
>>
>> Lynn, are you still there? :) Did you try Wayne's suggestion of
>> starting in safe mode?
>
> The problem has gone away since I rebooted.  I should have done that
> first before complaining.
>
> Or maybe Thunderbird was re-indexing on the main thread and finished.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

I might add a bit of my current experience that may or may not be
related. Win7 ultimate. TB 45.8 FF 45.7esr

I've had TB and FF since they were born.

I still have the legacy bellsouth.net email as well as all gmail, etc
via TB.

Lately two things happen....and only on the bellsouth email..

When I hit get messages, it searches for at least 5-10 seconds before
acting with or without messages.
At the same time when I am forwarding a site via the email link, the
first few attempts always come up with an error message that the SMTP
wouldn't work no matter to whom I send it.
After a few tries, it then goes through.

I have uVerse internet only with about 15Mb down and 1.75Mb up. Nothing
else gives me any problems...
0
responder
3/11/2017 6:36:46 PM
On 3/11/2017 1:36 PM, responder wrote:
> I might add a bit of my current experience that may or may not be
> related. Win7 ultimate. TB 45.8 FF 45.7esr
>
> I've had TB and FF since they were born.
>
> I still have the legacy bellsouth.net email as well as all gmail, etc
> via TB.
>
> Lately two things happen....and only on the bellsouth email..
>
> When I hit get messages, it searches for at least 5-10 seconds before
> acting with or without messages.
> At the same time when I am forwarding a site via the email link, the
> first few attempts always come up with an error message that the SMTP
> wouldn't work no matter to whom I send it.
> After a few tries, it then goes through.
>
> I have uVerse internet only with about 15Mb down and 1.75Mb up. Nothing
> else gives me any problems...
I have experienced that the problem of of the error messages when trying
to send.   Like you I have ATT uVerse. I had the same problem when I had
ATT DSL, and have always blamed ATT.

Another problem I have with ATT and while I have uVerse now, it occurred
when I had DSL, is the "no responses from nameserver '68.94.157.11'".
I get hundreds of these errors, and they continue all of the time I am
on the net.   Most of the time it corrects itself after a short period,
at other times I have to log off and relog in.

It is ATT and to get their "award" winning customer service takes forever.

It is a pain.
0
Keith
3/11/2017 8:41:29 PM
On 03/11/2017 03:41 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 3/11/2017 1:36 PM, responder wrote:
>> I might add a bit of my current experience that may or may not be
>> related. Win7 ultimate. TB 45.8 FF 45.7esr
>>
>> I've had TB and FF since they were born.
>>
>> I still have the legacy bellsouth.net email as well as all gmail, etc
>> via TB.
>>
>> Lately two things happen....and only on the bellsouth email..
>>
>> When I hit get messages, it searches for at least 5-10 seconds before
>> acting with or without messages.
>> At the same time when I am forwarding a site via the email link, the
>> first few attempts always come up with an error message that the SMTP
>> wouldn't work no matter to whom I send it.
>> After a few tries, it then goes through.
>>
>> I have uVerse internet only with about 15Mb down and 1.75Mb up. Nothing
>> else gives me any problems...
> I have experienced that the problem of of the error messages when
> trying to send.   Like you I have ATT uVerse. I had the same problem
> when I had ATT DSL, and have always blamed ATT.
>
> Another problem I have with ATT and while I have uVerse now, it
> occurred when I had DSL, is the "no responses from nameserver
> '68.94.157.11'". I get hundreds of these errors, and they continue all
> of the time I am on the net.   Most of the time it corrects itself
> after a short period, at other times I have to log off and relog in.
>
> It is ATT and to get their "award" winning customer service takes
> forever.
>
> It is a pain.

HughesNet's nameservers are equally bad and forever giving such
errors, particularly at peak times. I changed to using Google's public
servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and things improved enormously.

Worth a try for anyone who has nameserver problems...

Brian.

brian
3/11/2017 9:06:41 PM
On 03/10/17 16:35, WaltS48 wrote:

> I'm guessing that like Lynn, who rebooted her system after having it on
> continuously for 21 days and that solved the locking up problem for her,
> the others also leave their systems on continuously

You guessed wrong.

  bye
	av.
0
Andrea
3/13/2017 9:16:55 AM
On 3/13/2017 5:16 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 03/10/17 16:35, WaltS48 wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing that like Lynn, who rebooted her system after having it on
>> continuously for 21 days and that solved the locking up problem for her,
>> the others also leave their systems on continuously
>
> You guessed wrong.
>
>  bye
>     av.

Double bingo. Wrongo.

0
News
3/13/2017 1:22:33 PM
On 03/10/17 10:22, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

>> Moving
>> to 52 (when it's released) should make a lot of these 45.x perf issue go
>> away.
>
> That'd be great.
> I'll upgrade in any case when it's out and ported.

Just to update: I'm now on 52.0 and in fact the situation improved; alas
these momentary freezes have not gone away completely (but they decreased).

  bye
0
Andrea