Stymied getting Thunderbird on new lap top

Bought a new HP Win10 lap top.  Downloaded TB and got it working to
access my email on Comcast.  I copied my profile from my desktop to the
lap top but could not get it to work.  I deleted TB from the lap top and
copied over my full TB file to the lap top but it would not work.  I
deleted all traces of TB from the lap top and downloaded a fresh copy of
TB but it will not work at all.  I get an error message and it does not
come up.  Must be some error here but I do not know how to correct it.
Would welcome suggestions.

Frank
0
Frank
12/30/2017 1:37:18 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22312 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Frank wrote:
> Bought a new HP Win10 lap top.  Downloaded TB and got it working to
> access my email on Comcast.  I copied my profile from my desktop to the
> lap top but could not get it to work.  I deleted TB from the lap top and
> copied over my full TB file to the lap top but it would not work.  I
> deleted all traces of TB from the lap top and downloaded a fresh copy of
> TB but it will not work at all.  I get an error message and it does not
> come up.  Must be some error here but I do not know how to correct it.
> Would welcome suggestions.
>
> Frank
How did you deleted all traces of TB? Did you use Revo or similar program?
Try installing TB as Portable.
0
Luis
12/30/2017 2:10:03 PM
On 12/30/2017 9:10 AM, Luis wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>> Bought a new HP Win10 lap top.  Downloaded TB and got it working to
>> access my email on Comcast.  I copied my profile from my desktop to
>> the lap top but could not get it to work.  I deleted TB from the lap
>> top and copied over my full TB file to the lap top but it would not
>> work.  I deleted all traces of TB from the lap top and downloaded a
>> fresh copy of TB but it will not work at all.  I get an error message
>> and it does not come up.  Must be some error here but I do not know
>> how to correct it.
>> Would welcome suggestions.
>>
>> Frank
> How did you deleted all traces of TB? Did you use Revo or similar program?
> Try installing TB as Portable.

Will have to try Revo.  Did not know about it and just used tools on
computer - uninstall in TB and remove programs.

Thanks,
Frank
0
Frank
12/30/2017 2:25:11 PM
On 2017-12-30 08:37, Frank wrote:
> Bought a new HP Win10 lap top.  Downloaded TB and got it working to
> access my email on Comcast.  I copied my profile from my desktop to the
> lap top but could not get it to work.  I deleted TB from the lap top and
> copied over my full TB file to the lap top but it would not work.  I
> deleted all traces of TB from the lap top and downloaded a fresh copy of
> TB but it will not work at all. > I get an error message and it does not
> come up.  Must be some error here but I do not know how to correct it.
> Would welcome suggestions.
>
> Frank

I see you're planning to uninstall with Revo. If Tbird isn't working,
you may have to use Revo in Hunt mode, which means you'll need the paid
version.

To move a profile from old to new Thunderbird:

a) Copy old Profiles folder _and_ profiles.ini
b) Install Thunderbird.
c) Start up Tbird and set up an account. One is enough.
d) Close down Tbird.
e) Copy old Profiles folder _and_ profiles.ini over the new ones.
f) Restart Tbird.

I've done this many times, once even moving from Windows to Linux.

HTH

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder>

--
s|b
On 12/30/2017 10:17 AM, Wolf K wrote:
> On 2017-12-30 08:37, Frank wrote:
>> Bought a new HP Win10 lap top.  Downloaded TB and got it working to
>> access my email on Comcast.  I copied my profile from my desktop to
>> the lap top but could not get it to work.  I deleted TB from the lap
>> top and copied over my full TB file to the lap top but it would not
>> work.  I deleted all traces of TB from the lap top and downloaded a
>> fresh copy of TB but it will not work at all. > I get an error message
>> and it does not
>> come up.  Must be some error here but I do not know how to correct it.
>> Would welcome suggestions.
>>
>> Frank
>
> I see you're planning to uninstall with Revo. If Tbird isn't working,
> you may have to use Revo in Hunt mode, which means you'll need the paid
> version.
>
> To move a profile from old to new Thunderbird:
>
> a) Copy old Profiles folder _and_ profiles.ini
> b) Install Thunderbird.
> c) Start up Tbird and set up an account. One is enough.
> d) Close down Tbird.
> e) Copy old Profiles folder _and_ profiles.ini over the new ones.
> f) Restart Tbird.
>
> I've done this many times, once even moving from Windows to Linux.
>
> HTH

+1
Except I usually tell people to just copy the thunderbird folder as it
forces them to copy the profile.ini.
Also I suggest deleting the old TB folder to remove the profile folder
that was created (different name) just to avoid confusion later on in life.

0
Big
12/30/2017 3:54:00 PM
On 12/30/2017 10:17 AM, Wolf K wrote:
> On 2017-12-30 08:37, Frank wrote:
>> Bought a new HP Win10 lap top.  Downloaded TB and got it working to
>> access my email on Comcast.  I copied my profile from my desktop to
>> the lap top but could not get it to work.  I deleted TB from the lap
>> top and copied over my full TB file to the lap top but it would not
>> work.  I deleted all traces of TB from the lap top and downloaded a
>> fresh copy of TB but it will not work at all. > I get an error message
>> and it does not
>> come up.  Must be some error here but I do not know how to correct it.
>> Would welcome suggestions.
>>
>> Frank
>
> I see you're planning to uninstall with Revo. If Tbird isn't working,
> you may have to use Revo in Hunt mode, which means you'll need the paid
> version.
>
> To move a profile from old to new Thunderbird:
>
> a) Copy old Profiles folder _and_ profiles.ini
> b) Install Thunderbird.
> c) Start up Tbird and set up an account. One is enough.
> d) Close down Tbird.
> e) Copy old Profiles folder _and_ profiles.ini over the new ones.
> f) Restart Tbird.
>
> I've done this many times, once even moving from Windows to Linux.
>
> HTH

Revo free version did it.  Thanks to all.

I had to download a new Thunderbird for Revo to find.  The error message
that came up mentioned it could not start due to missing profile.  After
Revo deleted it and remnants I downloaded it again and it now works.

For the time being I'm not going to mess with trying to transfer profile
from this desktop to have trouble again.

It would be nice if it you could sync Thunderbird as you can for
Firefox. I'm still tinkering with other things to get Microsoft in its
proper place.

Frank
0
Frank
12/30/2017 5:39:05 PM
On 30/12/17 17:39, Frank wrote:

> It would be nice if it you could sync Thunderbird as you can for Firefox. I'm still tinkering with other things to get Microsoft in its proper place.
>
> Frank
My Thunderbird profile, which I have just moved to a new computer is 20+ GB and takes a /long/ time to copy. That would be non-trivial to synchronize. Your Firefox profile, by way of contrast, is your extensions and your bookmarks, typically some tens of MB.
--
Chris
0
On 12/30/2017 1:01 PM, Chris Ramsden wrote:
> On 30/12/17 17:39, Frank wrote:
>>
>> It would be nice if it you could sync Thunderbird as you can for Firefox. I'm still tinkering with other things to get Microsoft in its proper place.
>>
>> Frank
> My Thunderbird profile, which I have just moved to a new computer is 20+ GB and takes a /long/ time to copy. That would be non-trivial to synchronize. Your Firefox profile, by way of contrast, is your extensions and your bookmarks, typically some tens of MB.

I've heard that.  What I learned since that I can export my address book
but cannot see how to import it.  Its not a big file.  My profile is
less than a gigabyte.  I had lost it maybe 5 years ago when old computer
went south.  I had all my documents saved to Carbonite but learned they
did not save any thing from Firefox or Thunderbird nor music or videos
for that matter.  I have a Seagate backup drive but who knows what
happens if I need to restore stuff there.

Frank
0
Frank
12/31/2017 12:01:21 AM
On 12/30/17 7:01 PM, Frank wrote:
> On 12/30/2017 1:01 PM, Chris Ramsden wrote:
>> On 30/12/17 17:39, Frank wrote:
>>>
>>> It would be nice if it you could sync Thunderbird as you can for
>>> Firefox. I'm still tinkering with other things to get Microsoft in
>>> its proper place.
>>>
>>> Frank
>> My Thunderbird profile, which I have just moved to a new computer is
>> 20+ GB and takes a /long/ time to copy. That would be non-trivial to
>> synchronize. Your Firefox profile, by way of contrast, is your
>> extensions and your bookmarks, typically some tens of MB.
>>
> I've heard that.  What I learned since that I can export my address
> book but cannot see how to import it.  Its not a big file.  My profile
> is less than a gigabyte.  I had lost it maybe 5 years ago when old
> computer went south.  I had all my documents saved to Carbonite but
> learned they did not save any thing from Firefox or Thunderbird nor
> music or videos for that matter.  I have a Seagate backup drive but
> who knows what happens if I need to restore stuff there.
>
> Frank

Try http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_address_books_between_profiles

0
WaltS48
12/31/2017 12:09:03 AM
On 12/30/2017 7:09 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 12/30/17 7:01 PM, Frank wrote:

>>> My Thunderbird profile, which I have just moved to a new computer is
>>> 20+ GB and takes a /long/ time to copy. That would be non-trivial to
>>> synchronize. Your Firefox profile, by way of contrast, is your
>>> extensions and your bookmarks, typically some tens of MB.
>>>
>> I've heard that.  What I learned since that I can export my address
>> book but cannot see how to import it.  Its not a big file.  My profile
>> is less than a gigabyte.  I had lost it maybe 5 years ago when old
>> computer went south.  I had all my documents saved to Carbonite but
>> learned they did not save any thing from Firefox or Thunderbird nor
>> music or videos for that matter.  I have a Seagate backup drive but
>> who knows what happens if I need to restore stuff there.
>>
>> Frank
>

> Try http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_address_books_between_profiles

Thanks, will give it a try.
0