some help on helper apps and such

So i just installed kde 18.04 and then thunderbird 52.8.0 and was
wondering why pdf files won't open (with Ocular, the default pdf app for
kde) when clicked on. When i go to thunderbird help for this problem it
says to use 'Tools -> Options -> Attachments / Download Actions -> View
and Edit Actions'. The only problem is my version of Thunderbird doesn't
have this menu structure. I can't find any way of changing the list of
helper apps from the Open Attachment window->Select Application. Why am
I having this problem with a new install when it all works fine with the
same setup only 16.04 kde on my other computer? Any help would be
appreciated.

0
Geoffrey

On 06/11/2018 09:55 PM, Geoffrey Wilson wrote:
> So i just installed kde 18.04 and then thunderbird 52.8.0 and was
> wondering why pdf files won't open (with Ocular, the default pdf app for
> kde) when clicked on. When i go to thunderbird help for this problem it
> says to use 'Tools -> Options -> Attachments / Download Actions -> View
> and Edit Actions'. The only problem is my version of Thunderbird doesn't
> have this menu structure. I can't find any way of changing the list of
> helper apps from the Open Attachment window->Select Application. Why am
> I having this problem with a new install when it all works fine with the
> same setup only 16.04 kde on my other computer? Any help would be
> appreciated.

Those key words for a menu differ fron Windows to Linux.
IIRC (I'm on Linux and can't get to my Windows now), but Tools = the
Menu, Options = Preferences and so on pretty much is the same.

So Menu (Hamburger icon) ->preferences, Attachments tab.    I think this
is what they were trying to point you to.

0
Big
6/12/2018 7:08:24 AM
On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 18:55:08 -0700, Geoffrey Wilson wrote:

> So i just installed kde 18.04 and then thunderbird 52.8.0 and was
> wondering why pdf files won't open (with Ocular, the default pdf app for
> kde) when clicked on. When i go to thunderbird help for this problem it
> says to use 'Tools -> Options -> Attachments / Download Actions -> View
> and Edit Actions'. The only problem is my version of Thunderbird doesn't
> have this menu structure. I can't find any way of changing the list of
> helper apps from the Open Attachment window->Select Application. Why am
> I having this problem with a new install when it all works fine with the
> same setup only 16.04 kde on my other computer? Any help would be
> appreciated.

On the Linux XFCE box a pdf will open in the default viewer (Document
Viewer aka evince). But there is nothing in the T'bird preferences for
pdfs. The default viewer is defined in the XFCE Settings Manager where
you can set an app for any mime-type

I haven't used KDE for ages but I expect that the default pdf application
is set in that. If so you probably don't need anything in T'bird prefs -
and if there is anything in there try removing it.
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0
On 2018-06-11 8:55 p.m., Geoffrey Wilson wrote:
> So i just installed kde 18.04 and then thunderbird 52.8.0 and was wondering why pdf files won't open (with Ocular, the default pdf app for kde) when clicked on. When i go to thunderbird help for this problem it says to use 'Tools -> Options -> Attachments / Download Actions -> View and Edit Actions'. The only problem is my version of Thunderbird doesn't have this menu structure. I can't find any way of changing the list of helper apps from the Open Attachment window->Select Application. Why am I having this problem with a new install when it all works fine with the same setup only 16.04 kde on my other computer? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit/Preferences/Attachments...

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differences_in_Windows%2C_Linux%2C_and_Mac

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Actions_for_attachment_file_types
0
Steve
6/12/2018 3:59:25 PM
On 6/11/18 9:55 PM, Geoffrey Wilson wrote:
> So i just installed kde 18.04 and then thunderbird 52.8.0 and was
> wondering why pdf files won't open (with Ocular, the default pdf app for
> kde) when clicked on. When i go to thunderbird help for this problem it
> says to use 'Tools -> Options -> Attachments / Download Actions -> View
> and Edit Actions'. The only problem is my version of Thunderbird doesn't
> have this menu structure. I can't find any way of changing the list of
> helper apps from the Open Attachment window->Select Application. Why am
> I having this problem with a new install when it all works fine with the
> same setup only 16.04 kde on my other computer? Any help would be
> appreciated.

So you pressed the Down arrow next to "Save" in the attachment pane,
this dialog box opened and you don't have any choices including "Other"
in the drop down for Open With?

<https://imgur.com/OTjClcO>

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with the Unity desktop

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48