Smilie Inserter add-on irritation

I've been using the Smilie Inserter add-on for years, and it keeps
working, despite incompatibility warnings since approx. TB 24.

However, the latest TB version brings up a "Thunderbird has blocked a
file from loading bla bla..." warning *every time* I insert an image
from, and I have to click Options > Unblock.

This is getting rather irritating, to the point of making the add-on
essentially unusable. Unfortunately there are no contact details for the
developer at
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/user/christian-wolf/

Any suggestions?

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk
0
Herb
5/17/2017 8:08:15 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22013 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On 05/17/2017 04:08 PM, Herb@UK wrote:
> I've been using the Smilie Inserter add-on for years, and it keeps
> working, despite incompatibility warnings since approx. TB 24.
>
> However, the latest TB version brings up a "Thunderbird has blocked a
> file from loading bla bla..." warning *every time* I insert an image
> from, and I have to click Options > Unblock.
>
> This is getting rather irritating, to the point of making the add-on
> essentially unusable. Unfortunately there are no contact details for the
> developer at
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/user/christian-wolf/
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Herbert Eppel
> www.HETranslations.uk

Thats odd that it works on 24 since the addons page says only up to
1.5.0.*   In other words, it's a really outdated add-on.

However if it works, I've just edited the install.rdf file and changed
the max version #.    It works on a few themes and add-ons I've got.

0
Big
5/17/2017 8:23:12 PM
On 17.05.2017 21:23, Big Al wrote:
> On 05/17/2017 04:08 PM, Herb@UK wrote:
>> I've been using the Smilie Inserter add-on for years, and it keeps
>> working, despite incompatibility warnings since approx. TB 24.
>>
>> However, the latest TB version brings up a "Thunderbird has blocked a
>> file from loading bla bla..." warning *every time* I insert an image
>> from, and I have to click Options > Unblock.
>>
>> This is getting rather irritating, to the point of making the add-on
>> essentially unusable. Unfortunately there are no contact details for
>> the developer at
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/user/christian-wolf/
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Herbert Eppel
>> www.HETranslations.uk
>
> Thats odd that it works on 24 since the addons page says only up to
> 1.5.0.*   In other words, it's a really outdated add-on.
>
> However if it works, I've just edited the install.rdf file and changed
> the max version #.    It works on a few themes and add-ons I've got.

Thanks for your reply, but the incompatibility warning doesn't really
bother me - it's the new (in TB 52) image blocking behaviour that gets
on my nerves.

Any suggestions?

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk
0
Herb
5/18/2017 3:49:13 PM
On 5/18/17 11:49 AM, Herb@UK wrote:
> On 17.05.2017 21:23, Big Al wrote:
>> On 05/17/2017 04:08 PM, Herb@UK wrote:
>>> I've been using the Smilie Inserter add-on for years, and it keeps
>>> working, despite incompatibility warnings since approx. TB 24.
>>>
>>> However, the latest TB version brings up a "Thunderbird has blocked a
>>> file from loading bla bla..." warning *every time* I insert an image
>>> from, and I have to click Options > Unblock.
>>>
>>> This is getting rather irritating, to the point of making the add-on
>>> essentially unusable. Unfortunately there are no contact details for
>>> the developer at
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/user/christian-wolf/
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Herbert Eppel
>>> www.HETranslations.uk
>>
>> Thats odd that it works on 24 since the addons page says only up to
>> 1.5.0.*   In other words, it's a really outdated add-on.
>>
>> However if it works, I've just edited the install.rdf file and changed
>> the max version #.    It works on a few themes and add-ons I've got.
>>

> Thanks for your reply, but the incompatibility warning doesn't really
> bother me - it's the new (in TB 52) image blocking behaviour that gets
> on my nerves.
>
> Any suggestions?

Use the suggestion in the release notes?

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
On 18.05.2017 23:46, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 5/18/17 11:49 AM, Herb@UK wrote:

>>> Thats odd that it works on 24 since the addons page says only up to
>>> 1.5.0.*   In other words, it's a really outdated add-on.
>>>
>>> However if it works, I've just edited the install.rdf file and
>>> changed the max version #.    It works on a few themes and add-ons
>>> I've got.
>>>

>> Thanks for your reply, but the incompatibility warning doesn't really
>> bother me - it's the new (in TB 52) image blocking behaviour that gets
>> on my nerves.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> Use the suggestion in the release notes?

Which suggestion in which release notes?

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

0
Herb

<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/>

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
5/20/2017 12:35:31 AM
On 20.05.2017 01:35, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 5/19/17 8:06 PM, Herb@UK wrote:

>>> Use the suggestion in the release notes?
>>>

>> Which suggestion in which release notes?
>>

>> IMPORTANT: The way images are included in a compose window has
>> changed. Images are now included as data URIs and not as references to
>> parts of other messages or operating system files. This allows better
>> interoperability with office packages such as MS Office or
>> LibreOffice. Images linked from locations on the internet will no
>> longer be downloaded and attached to the message automatically. This
>> can be changed for each image individually via the Image Properties
>> dialog or globally by setting the preference
>> mail.compose.attach_http_images.
>
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/>

Thanks. I don't really understand it, but I tried it (i.e. I changed the
setting of mail.compose.attach_http_images), but it doesn't seem to
resolve the issue I described.

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

0
Herb
5/23/2017 2:10:36 AM
On 5/22/17 10:10 PM, Herb@UK wrote:
> On 20.05.2017 01:35, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Which suggestion in which release notes?
>>>

>>> IMPORTANT: The way images are included in a compose window has
>>> changed. Images are now included as data URIs and not as references
>>> to parts of other messages or operating system files. This allows
>>> better interoperability with office packages such as MS Office or
>>> LibreOffice. Images linked from locations on the internet will no
>>> longer be downloaded and attached to the message automatically. This
>>> can be changed for each image individually via the Image Properties
>>> dialog or globally by setting the preference
>>> mail.compose.attach_http_images.
>>
>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/>
>>

> Thanks. I don't really understand it, but I tried it (i.e. I changed the
> setting of mail.compose.attach_http_images), but it doesn't seem to
> resolve the issue I described.

I currently use.

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/emojiaddin/?src=ss>

Despite what it indicates, it works in my Thunderbird Daily 55.0a1.

There is also
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/emoji-menu/?src=search>

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
5/23/2017 1:32:02 PM
On 23.05.2017 14:32, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 5/22/17 10:10 PM, Herb@UK wrote:

>>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/>
>>>

>> Thanks. I don't really understand it, but I tried it (i.e. I changed
>> the setting of mail.compose.attach_http_images), but it doesn't seem
>> to resolve the issue I described.
>>

> I currently use.
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/emojiaddin/?src=ss>
>
> Despite what it indicates, it works in my Thunderbird Daily 55.0a1.
>
> There is also
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/emoji-menu/?src=search>

Thanks for the links - I'll try these add-ons.

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk
0
Herb
5/24/2017 3:10:24 PM
On 24.05.2017 16:10, Herb@UK wrote:
> On 23.05.2017 14:32, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Thanks. I don't really understand it, but I tried it (i.e. I changed
>>> the setting of mail.compose.attach_http_images), but it doesn't seem
>>> to resolve the issue I described.
>>>

>> I currently use.
>>
>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/emojiaddin/?src=ss>
>>
>> Despite what it indicates, it works in my Thunderbird Daily 55.0a1.
>>
>> There is also
>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/emoji-menu/?src=search>
>>

> Thanks for the links - I'll try these add-ons.

I installed both add-ons, and they will no doubt come in useful (not
surprisingly, there is quite a bit of overlap in terms of the emojis the
two add-ons offer).

Shame there doesn't appear to be an option to add files from one's own
(animated) image library, which would make the Smilie Inserter add-on
superfluous. Perhaps I'll try and get in touch with the authors and
suggest it.

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

0