Slowwww email message deletion

For the past several days I've suffered with attempting to delete individual emails in anything less than 10 seconds per email.  If I choose several emails to delete at a time, it takes even longer.

I've read back through some early posts (2007) dealing with this subject but suggestions such as compacting folders; eliminating add-ons and extensions and finally reinstallation of the program have changed nothing.

I'm currently running 45.8.0.

Any takers?

Thanks,

Jon Pearl - St. Petersburg
0
Jon
3/10/2017 9:06:42 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 21991 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

--------------050401050809050200050909

On 10/03/2017 21:06, Jon Pearl wrote:
> For the past several days I've suffered with attempting to delete individual emails in anything less than 10 seconds per email.  If I choose several emails to delete at a time, it takes even longer.
>
> I've read back through some early posts (2007) dealing with this subject but suggestions such as compacting folders; eliminating add-ons and extensions and finally reinstallation of the program have changed nothing.
>
> I'm currently running 45.8.0.
>

> Any takers?

are you on a Windows system?  If so then try "restarting" the machine.
Restarting here does not mean switching off/switching on the machine.
To restart, you need to go to the power button and click on Restart button.

This happens when updates haven't been applied yet pending restarting of
the system.  This is Microsoft's way of doing things these days.

--

If you want to filter all of my posts then please read this article:
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/organize-your-messages-using-filters>

With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

--------------050401050809050200050909

  <head>
  </head>
cite="mid:mailman.84.1489180413.10544.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">For the past several days I've suffered with attempting to delete individual emails in anything less than 10 seconds per email.  If I choose several emails to delete at a time, it takes even longer.

I've read back through some early posts (2007) dealing with this subject but suggestions such as compacting folders; eliminating add-ons and extensions and finally reinstallation of the program have changed nothing.

I'm currently running 45.8.0.

Any takers?

</pre>
    are you on a Windows system?  If so then try "restarting" the
    machine.  Restarting here does not mean switching off/switching on
    the machine.  To restart, you need to go to the power button and
    click on Restart button.<br>
    This happens when updates haven't been applied yet pending
    restarting of the system.  This is Microsoft's way of doing things
    these days.<br>
cite="mid:mailman.84.1489180413.10544.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">
</pre>
        If you want to filter all of my posts then please read this
        article:<br>
        <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/organize-your-messages-using-filters">&lt;https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/organize-your-messages-using-filters&gt;</a><br>
        In step 7 select "Delete"<br>
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 500 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>

--------------050401050809050200050909--
0
Good
3/10/2017 9:30:21 PM
Hi Good Guy,

I'm running Windoze 7 Professional.=20

Yeah...I tried that too.  I've restarted a couple of times since then and s=
till suffer from the slow delete syndrome.  I can't tell you how much this =
is going to suck if I have to do a complete uninstall/reinstall.  I must ha=
ve 400 different message folders and I really don't want to set them all up=
 again.

Thanks,

Jon

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 4:13:40 PM UTC-5, Jon Pearl wrote:
> For the past several days I've suffered with attempting to delete individ=
ual emails in anything less than 10 seconds per email.  If I choose several=
 emails to delete at a time, it takes even longer.
>=20
> I've read back through some early posts (2007) dealing with this subject =
but suggestions such as compacting folders; eliminating add-ons and extensi=
ons and finally reinstallation of the program have changed nothing.
>=20
> I'm currently running 45.8.0.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Any takers?
>=20
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Jon Pearl - St. Petersburg

0
Jon
3/11/2017 4:25:05 AM
Running Windoze 7 Professionl.

Yes, the machine has been cold booted a couple of times since reinstall.

Thanks,

Jon

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 4:30:34 PM UTC-5, Good Guy wrote:
> On 10/03/2017 21:06, Jon Pearl wrote:
>=20
>    =20
>    =20
>       For the past several days I've suffered with attempting to delete i=
ndividual emails in anything less than 10 seconds per email.  If I choose s=
everal emails to delete at a time, it takes even longer.
>=20
> I've read back through some early posts (2007) dealing with this subject =
but suggestions such as compacting folders; eliminating add-ons and extensi=
ons and finally reinstallation of the program have changed nothing.
>=20
> I'm currently running 45.8.0.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Any takers?
>=20
>=20
>=20
>    =20
>    =20
>=20
>     are you on a Windows system?=C2=A0 If so then try "restarting" the
>     machine.=C2=A0 Restarting here does not mean switching off/switching =
on
>     the machine.=C2=A0 To restart, you need to go to the power button and
>     click on Restart button.
>=20
>    =20
>=20
>     This happens when updates haven't been applied yet pending
>     restarting of the system.=C2=A0 This is Microsoft's way of doing thin=
gs
>     these days.
>=20
>    =20
>=20
>    =20
>      =20
>    =20
>    =20
>=20
>    =20
>=20
>    =20
> --=20
>=20
>      =20
>=20
>         If you want to filter all of my posts then please read this
>         article:
>=20
>         <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/organize-your-messages-usin=
g-filters>
>=20
>         In step 7 select "Delete"
>=20
>      =20
>      =20
> With over 500 million devices now
>         running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
>         previous version of windows.

0
Jon
3/11/2017 4:29:00 AM
OK, this may be a dumb thing to bring up.

When messages are "deleted", they aren't really gone from the mbox format file that folders are. They just marked as deleted. They're only really gone, after compaction of the
folders... At least that's what I discovered years ago and I developed the practice of compacting folders frequently to stop slow downs like this and save disk space.

I've never gone back to check and see if it's still true.  The practice works for me, so I continue.  Your milage may vary.

On 03/10/2017 08:29 PM, Jon Pearl wrote:
> Running Windoze 7 Professionl.
>
> Yes, the machine has been cold booted a couple of times since reinstall.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Jon
>
> On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 4:30:34 PM UTC-5, Good Guy wrote:
>> On 10/03/2017 21:06, Jon Pearl wrote:
>>

>>        For the past several days I've suffered with attempting to delete individual emails in anything less than 10 seconds per email.  If I choose several emails to delete at a time, it takes even longer.
>>
>> I've read back through some early posts (2007) dealing with this subject but suggestions such as compacting folders; eliminating add-ons and extensions and finally reinstallation of the program have changed nothing.
>>
>> I'm currently running 45.8.0.
>>

>> Any takers?
>>

>>      are you on a Windows system?  If so then try "restarting" the
>>      machine.  Restarting here does not mean switching off/switching on
>>      the machine.  To restart, you need to go to the power button and
>>      click on Restart button.
>>

>>      This happens when updates haven't been applied yet pending
>>      restarting of the system.  This is Microsoft's way of doing things
>>      these days.
>>

>> --
>>

>>          If you want to filter all of my posts then please read this
>>          article:
>>
>>          <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/organize-your-messages-using-filters>
>>
>>          In step 7 select "Delete"
>>

>> With over 500 million devices now
>>          running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
>>          previous version of windows.

Bruce
3/11/2017 5:41:18 AM
Hi Bruce,

No...they're not actually deleted.  They *all* reside in the Tunderbird trash bin.  All 65,516!

I'm going to work on that and see if I can't make some of them go away.  There are times when I'll go rummaging through there to look for something that I've deleted by mistake, but I don't really need that much junk sitting around.

Jon

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 12:41:42 AM UTC-5, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> OK, this may be a dumb thing to bring up.
>
> When messages are "deleted", they aren't really gone from the mbox format file that folders are. They just marked as deleted. They're only really gone, after compaction of the
> folders... At least that's what I discovered years ago and I developed the practice of compacting folders frequently to stop slow downs like this and save disk space.
>
> I've never gone back to check and see if it's still true.  The practice works for me, so I continue.  Your milage may vary.

0
Jon
3/11/2017 7:34:28 AM
On 3/10/17 4:06 PM, Jon Pearl wrote:
> For the past several days I've suffered with attempting to delete individual emails in anything less than 10 seconds per email.  If I choose several emails to delete at a time, it takes even longer.
>
> I've read back through some early posts (2007) dealing with this subject but suggestions such as compacting folders; eliminating add-ons and extensions and finally reinstallation of the program have changed nothing.
>
> I'm currently running 45.8.0.
>

> Any takers?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jon Pearl - St. Petersburg

Try selecting the email or multiple emails, then use the Shift and
Delete key combination.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

0
WaltS48
3/11/2017 1:54:52 PM
On 2017-03-11 02:34, Jon Pearl wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> No...they're not actually deleted.  They *all* reside in the Thunderbird trash bin.  All 65,516!

Np wonder message deletion is slow. Every deleted message has to be
added to Trash (which is a file, _not_ a folder), and Trash.msf has to
be updated.

> I'm going to work on that and see if I can't make some of them go away.  There are times when I'll go rummaging through there to look for something that I've deleted by mistake, but I don't really need that much junk sitting around.
>

> Jon

Empty the trash bin.

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com

It almost rises to the level of "don't fix it if it ain't broken!"  I went =
in and deleted a few hundred at a time from the trash bin.  Deleting severa=
l hundred at a time would cause the program to freeze for a bit until those=
 emails were finally deleted.  Later, I could go back in and take several t=
housand at a time and delete them, with the program freezing (not-respondin=
g message) for less than 20 seconds at a clip.  I also went to Tools|Accoun=
t Setting|Disk Space and clicked on the radio button for 'Delete all but th=
e most recent' nnnn messages.  I initially chose to do this but the program=
 would freeze for 30 minutes at a time trying to burn off the excess number=
 of emails.  I unchecked the radio button and went back in manually, giving=
 the program some room to breath - then rechecked it again.

Emails in the in box and message folders are now easily deleted since they =
have some place to go, now.

Thanks to all who replied.  I really appreciate your help.

Jon Pearl - St. Petersburg

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 1:00:13 PM UTC-5, Wolf K. wrote:
> On 2017-03-11 02:34, Jon Pearl wrote:
> > Hi Bruce,
> >
> > No...they're not actually deleted.  They *all* reside in the Thunderbir=
d trash bin.  All 65,516!
>=20
> Np wonder message deletion is slow. Every deleted message has to be=20
> added to Trash (which is a file, _not_ a folder), and Trash.msf has to=20
> be updated.
>=20
> > I'm going to work on that and see if I can't make some of them go away.=
  There are times when I'll go rummaging through there to look for somethin=
g that I've deleted by mistake, but I don't really need that much junk sitt=
ing around.

> > Jon
>=20
> Empty the trash bin.
>=20
> --=20
> Wolf K.
> https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com
> It's called "opinion" because it's not knowledge.

0
Jon
3/11/2017 8:53:08 PM
On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 13:06:42 -0800 (PST), Jon Pearl <w4abc1@gmail.com>
wrote:

>For the past several days I've suffered with attempting to delete individual emails in anything less than 10 seconds per email.  If I choose several emails to delete at a time, it takes even longer.
>
>I've read back through some early posts (2007) dealing with this subject but suggestions such as compacting folders; eliminating add-ons and extensions and finally reinstallation of the program have changed nothing.
>
>I'm currently running 45.8.0.
>

>Any takers?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Jon Pearl - St. Petersburg

Is this Thunderbird install servicing one account Inbox? If so, how
much crap is in the Inbox?
0
TCW
3/13/2017 12:28:09 AM
On 3/12/17 8:28 PM, TCW wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 13:06:42 -0800 (PST), Jon Pearl <w4abc1@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> For the past several days I've suffered with attempting to delete individual emails in anything less than 10 seconds per email.  If I choose several emails to delete at a time, it takes even longer.
>>
>> I've read back through some early posts (2007) dealing with this subject but suggestions such as compacting folders; eliminating add-ons and extensions and finally reinstallation of the program have changed nothing.
>>
>> I'm currently running 45.8.0.
>>

>> Any takers?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jon Pearl - St. Petersburg
>
> Is this Thunderbird install servicing one account Inbox? If so, how
> much crap is in the Inbox?

Jon the reporter has already posted that the problem is solved by
reducing the size of Trash which was 65,516 messages.
0
Wayne