Several questions about sync/unsync with IMAP

I have a gmail IMAP account.  Several weeks ago, when creating some
Searches, I was mystified why one search term was not finding anything,
even though searching through gmail's web UI showed many messages with
that term.  I discovered that it was because the term was only in the
Body, and TB cannot search the Body in an IMAP account.  I then learned
that sync'ing my account would download the full messages, not just the
headers.  So I sync'ed ... and the search worked.

Now I think sync'ing was not a good idea.  It has slowed things down
tremendously.  Yes, even the Body can now be searched.  But searches
take forever, because apparently not all messages got downloaded when I
first sync'ed, so they have to be downloaded when searching.  (And not
just *new* messages, it seems.  I have the impression that messages
which were downloaded one day have to be re-downloaded the next day.
Plus I now get frequent messages that the server has stopped responding,
which I never used to get before sync'ing.  Makes me think it's overloaded.)

Anyway, I have decided to un-sync.  (There are very few search terms for
which I need to search the Body.  Usually From, To, and Subject are
enough.)  But I have a question:

Will unsync'ing remove from my computer the Bodies of the messages which
have already been downloaded, and leave just the Headers?  (I actually
would prefer for that to be the case.)  If not, what's the best way to
get back to the pre-sync state, of just Headers ... without losing the
tags and the placement into various folders which my filters have
already accomplished?
0
Dudley
5/9/2018 5:53:44 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22394 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow