Settings not sticking after upgrade to 1.5

I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:

1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
maximised, but it doesn't)

2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)

3. TB doesn't remember column display options

Help please!

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herb
1/12/2006 8:53:10 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 21659 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

22 Replies
148 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 49

_Herb_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 3:53 AM:
> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
> 
> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
> maximised, but it doesn't)
> 
> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
> 
> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
> 
> Help please!

Close Thunderbird.
Go to your profile folder.
Remove the file 'localstore.rdf'.

The next time you start Thunderbird, you'll get the default window 
layout, but any changes you make should stick.
-- 
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
(Please do not email me tech support questions)
Mozilla Help <http://mozillahelp.com>
Netscape 7 Help <http://ilias.ca/netscape/>
0
Chris
1/12/2006 9:19:13 AM
On 12.01.2006 09:19 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Herb_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 3:53 AM:
>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
>>
>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>
>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>
>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>
>> Help please!
> 
> Close Thunderbird.
> Go to your profile folder.
> Remove the file 'localstore.rdf'.
> 
> The next time you start Thunderbird, you'll get the default window 
> layout, but any changes you make should stick.

I did that, thanks, but it doesn't work - I'm not quite sure what the 
default layout looks like, but TB seems to come up with the same layout 
(probably the default) every time, ignoring any changes I make.

It doesn't even remember toolbar customisation :-(

I can't help feeling that I'm missing something obvious - but I can't 
see it - by the way - my Quicktext extension is also broken :-(

There seems to be some kind of profile mix-up, but I'm not sure what's 
going on.

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herb
1/12/2006 9:30:49 AM
On 12.01.2006 09:30 UK Time, Herb wrote:
> On 12.01.2006 09:19 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> _Herb_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 3:53 AM:
>>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
>>>
>>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>>
>>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>>
>>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>>
>>> Help please!
>>
>> Close Thunderbird.
>> Go to your profile folder.
>> Remove the file 'localstore.rdf'.
>>
>> The next time you start Thunderbird, you'll get the default window 
>> layout, but any changes you make should stick.
> 
> I did that, thanks, but it doesn't work - I'm not quite sure what the 
> default layout looks like, but TB seems to come up with the same layout 
> (probably the default) every time, ignoring any changes I make.
> 
> It doesn't even remember toolbar customisation :-(
> 
> I can't help feeling that I'm missing something obvious - but I can't 
> see it - by the way - my Quicktext extension is also broken :-(
> 
> There seems to be some kind of profile mix-up, but I'm not sure what's 
> going on.
> 

I tried 2 other profiles, and in those profiles TB remembers changes 
alright, but not in my main profile.

What else can I do/try apart from deleting localstore.rdf'?

XUL.mfl perhaps?

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herb
1/12/2006 9:35:14 AM
On 12.01.2006 09:35 UK Time, Herb wrote:
> On 12.01.2006 09:30 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>> On 12.01.2006 09:19 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
>>> _Herb_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 3:53 AM:
>>>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to 
>>>> stick:
>>>>
>>>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>>>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>>>
>>>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>>>
>>>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>>>
>>>> Help please!
>>>
>>> Close Thunderbird.
>>> Go to your profile folder.
>>> Remove the file 'localstore.rdf'.
>>>
>>> The next time you start Thunderbird, you'll get the default window 
>>> layout, but any changes you make should stick.
>>
>> I did that, thanks, but it doesn't work - I'm not quite sure what the 
>> default layout looks like, but TB seems to come up with the same 
>> layout (probably the default) every time, ignoring any changes I make.
>>
>> It doesn't even remember toolbar customisation :-(
>>
>> I can't help feeling that I'm missing something obvious - but I can't 
>> see it - by the way - my Quicktext extension is also broken :-(
>>
>> There seems to be some kind of profile mix-up, but I'm not sure what's 
>> going on.
>>
> 
> I tried 2 other profiles, and in those profiles TB remembers changes 
> alright, but not in my main profile.
> 
> What else can I do/try apart from deleting localstore.rdf'?
> 
> XUL.mfl perhaps?
> 

That didn't work either :-(

By the way, it seems to remember settings for the current session (for 
example, if I maximise the message reply window, it opens maximised when 
I reply to another message), but not after closing and reopening.

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herb
1/12/2006 9:50:40 AM
Herb wrote:
> On 12.01.2006 09:35 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>> On 12.01.2006 09:30 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>>> On 12.01.2006 09:19 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
>>>> _Herb_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 3:53 AM:
>>>>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to 
>>>>> stick:
>>>>>
>>>>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>>>>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>>>>
>>>>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>>>>
>>>>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>>>>
>>>>> Help please!
>>>>
>>>> Close Thunderbird.
>>>> Go to your profile folder.
>>>> Remove the file 'localstore.rdf'.
>>>>
>>>> The next time you start Thunderbird, you'll get the default window 
>>>> layout, but any changes you make should stick.
>>>
>>> I did that, thanks, but it doesn't work - I'm not quite sure what the 
>>> default layout looks like, but TB seems to come up with the same 
>>> layout (probably the default) every time, ignoring any changes I make.
>>>
>>> It doesn't even remember toolbar customisation :-(
>>>
>>> I can't help feeling that I'm missing something obvious - but I can't 
>>> see it - by the way - my Quicktext extension is also broken :-(
>>>
>>> There seems to be some kind of profile mix-up, but I'm not sure 
>>> what's going on.
>>>
>>
>> I tried 2 other profiles, and in those profiles TB remembers changes 
>> alright, but not in my main profile.
>>
>> What else can I do/try apart from deleting localstore.rdf'?
>>
>> XUL.mfl perhaps?
>>
> 
> That didn't work either :-(
> 
> By the way, it seems to remember settings for the current session (for 
> example, if I maximise the message reply window, it opens maximised when 
> I reply to another message), but not after closing and reopening.
> 

Did you try safe mode?

Lee

-- 
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
1/12/2006 12:27:44 PM
On 12.01.2006 12:27 UK Time, Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Herb wrote:
>> On 12.01.2006 09:35 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>>> On 12.01.2006 09:30 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>>>> On 12.01.2006 09:19 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
>>>>> _Herb_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 3:53 AM:
>>>>>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to 
>>>>>> stick:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>>>>>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Help please!
>>>>>
>>>>> Close Thunderbird.
>>>>> Go to your profile folder.
>>>>> Remove the file 'localstore.rdf'.
>>>>>
>>>>> The next time you start Thunderbird, you'll get the default window 
>>>>> layout, but any changes you make should stick.
>>>>
>>>> I did that, thanks, but it doesn't work - I'm not quite sure what 
>>>> the default layout looks like, but TB seems to come up with the same 
>>>> layout (probably the default) every time, ignoring any changes I make.
>>>>
>>>> It doesn't even remember toolbar customisation :-(
>>>>
>>>> I can't help feeling that I'm missing something obvious - but I 
>>>> can't see it - by the way - my Quicktext extension is also broken :-(
>>>>
>>>> There seems to be some kind of profile mix-up, but I'm not sure 
>>>> what's going on.
>>>>
>>>
>>> I tried 2 other profiles, and in those profiles TB remembers changes 
>>> alright, but not in my main profile.
>>>
>>> What else can I do/try apart from deleting localstore.rdf'?
>>>
>>> XUL.mfl perhaps?
>>>
>>
>> That didn't work either :-(
>>
>> By the way, it seems to remember settings for the current session (for 
>> example, if I maximise the message reply window, it opens maximised 
>> when I reply to another message), but not after closing and reopening.
>>
> 
> Did you try safe mode?

Hi Lee,

you didn't get much sleep! :-(

I just tried safe mode, and the problem persists.

However, as I said earlier, I don't see the problem in 2 other profiles 
I tried earlier.

I am minded to see what happens if I do a straight upgrade on my laptop, 
but I am a little hesistant because I don't want to mess up my data 
synchronisation!

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herb
1/12/2006 12:36:45 PM
Herb wrote:
> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
> 
> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
> maximised, but it doesn't)
> 
> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
> 
> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
> 
> Help please!
> 
==>	I had the same problem. I just abandoned everything in my profile 
except my address book and training file. The mail I temporarily 
transferred to an IMAP account. This appears to be a bug that escapes 
the developers so far. I have a sneaking suspicion that my problem had 
to do with my switch to another WIN XP profile, but it's only a guess. 
There may be other things you can keep from your old profile, but I 
wasn't willing to spend more time to figure it out.

Kris
0
Kris
1/12/2006 2:13:51 PM
On 12.01.2006 14:13 UK Time, Kris Sedmera wrote:
> Herb wrote:
>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
>>
>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>
>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>
>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>
>> Help please!
>>
> ==>    I had the same problem. I just abandoned everything in my profile 
> except my address book and training file. The mail I temporarily 
> transferred to an IMAP account. This appears to be a bug that escapes 
> the developers so far. I have a sneaking suspicion that my problem had 
> to do with my switch to another WIN XP profile, but it's only a guess. 
> There may be other things you can keep from your old profile, but I 
> wasn't willing to spend more time to figure it out.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not alone.

I am somewhat reluctant to abandon my profile if it can be avoided, 
although if the same thing happens on my laptop I guess I'll have no 
choice :-(

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herb
1/12/2006 2:19:19 PM
Herb wrote:
> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
> 
> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
> maximised, but it doesn't)
> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
> 
> Help please!

What happens if you do the standard Windows 'remember my window 
size'-thing by holding the SHIFT key while you click the X close button? 
Works for me for 1 & 2 above. As for #3.. can you confirm a suspicion - 
you prefer the View dropdown to say "Unread", right'?
0
RenegadeX
1/12/2006 2:28:22 PM
Kris Sedmera wrote:
> Herb wrote:
>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
>>
>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>
>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>
>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>
>> Help please!
>>
> ==>    I had the same problem. I just abandoned everything in my profile 
> except my address book and training file. The mail I temporarily 
> transferred to an IMAP account. This appears to be a bug that escapes 
> the developers so far. I have a sneaking suspicion that my problem had 
> to do with my switch to another WIN XP profile, but it's only a guess. 
> There may be other things you can keep from your old profile, but I 
> wasn't willing to spend more time to figure it out.
> 
> Kris
==>	Oops, I kept the dictionary too. But that was it.
0
Kris
1/12/2006 2:29:38 PM
RenegadeX wrote:
> Herb wrote:
>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
>>
>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>
>> Help please!
> 
> What happens if you do the standard Windows 'remember my window 
> size'-thing by holding the SHIFT key while you click the X close button? 
> Works for me for 1 & 2 above. As for #3.. can you confirm a suspicion - 
> you prefer the View dropdown to say "Unread", right'?
==>	That's one of my preferences, yes. But I've already deleted my buggy 
profile, and thus can't test.
0
Kris
1/12/2006 2:32:00 PM
On 12.01.2006 14:29 UK Time, Kris Sedmera wrote:
> Kris Sedmera wrote:
>> Herb wrote:
>>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
>>>
>>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>>
>>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>>
>>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>>
>>> Help please!
>>>
>> ==>    I had the same problem. I just abandoned everything in my 
>> profile except my address book and training file. The mail I 
>> temporarily transferred to an IMAP account. This appears to be a bug 
>> that escapes the developers so far. I have a sneaking suspicion that 
>> my problem had to do with my switch to another WIN XP profile, but 
>> it's only a guess. There may be other things you can keep from your 
>> old profile, but I wasn't willing to spend more time to figure it out.
>>
>> Kris
> ==>    Oops, I kept the dictionary too. But that was it.

Funny you should mention it, because this non-sticky profile also 
doesn't recognise my dictionaries any more :-(

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herb
1/12/2006 2:38:08 PM
Herb wrote:
> On 12.01.2006 14:29 UK Time, Kris Sedmera wrote:
>> Kris Sedmera wrote:
>>> Herb wrote:
>>>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to 
>>>> stick:
>>>>
>>>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>>>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>>>
>>>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>>>
>>>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>>>
>>>> Help please!
>>>>
>>> ==>    I had the same problem. I just abandoned everything in my 
>>> profile except my address book and training file. The mail I 
>>> temporarily transferred to an IMAP account. This appears to be a bug 
>>> that escapes the developers so far. I have a sneaking suspicion that 
>>> my problem had to do with my switch to another WIN XP profile, but 
>>> it's only a guess. There may be other things you can keep from your 
>>> old profile, but I wasn't willing to spend more time to figure it out.
>>>
>>> Kris
>> ==>    Oops, I kept the dictionary too. But that was it.
> 
> Funny you should mention it, because this non-sticky profile also 
> doesn't recognise my dictionaries any more :-(
> 
==>	Well, I guess I haven't used the new profile long enough to know if 
it's actually using my old dictionary... Come to think of it, I think 
the speller did ask me about something that I had "added" before. So 
that may be true for me too.
0
Kris
1/12/2006 2:53:22 PM
On 12.01.2006 14:28 UK Time, RenegadeX wrote:
> Herb wrote:
>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
>>
>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>
>> Help please!
> 
> What happens if you do the standard Windows 'remember my window 
> size'-thing by holding the SHIFT key while you click the X close button? 
> Works for me for 1 & 2 above. As for #3.. can you confirm a suspicion - 
> you prefer the View dropdown to say "Unread", right'?

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

I wasn't aware of the shift Windows thing, but in any case, it doesn't 
work for me :-(

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'prefer the View dropdown to say 
"Unread"'.

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herb
1/12/2006 2:54:51 PM
Herb wrote:
> On 12.01.2006 14:28 UK Time, RenegadeX wrote:
>> Herb wrote:
>>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
>>>
>>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>>
>>> Help please!
>> What happens if you do the standard Windows 'remember my window 
>> size'-thing by holding the SHIFT key while you click the X close button? 
>> Works for me for 1 & 2 above. As for #3.. can you confirm a suspicion - 
>> you prefer the View dropdown to say "Unread", right'?
> 
> Hi,
> 
> thanks for your reply.
> 
> I wasn't aware of the shift Windows thing, but in any case, it doesn't 
> work for me :-(
> 
> I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'prefer the View dropdown to say 
> "Unread"'.

It sounds like you may have other issues as #1&2 still aren't right for 
you, but I was thinking of this:
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=293421

Simplified:
When browsing newsgroups in TB1.5, if you change the View dropdown to 
'Unread', and the chosen sort-column is not the same as it was in the 
'All' view, not only does Thunderbird muddles the 'All' sort with the 
'Unread' view, but after exiting the group in 'Unread' mode and 
returning to the group, Thunderbird will default to whatever column-sort 
the 'All' view had. The results is that it appears that 'Thunderbird is 
forgetting my column settings'.

Steps to reproduce are in the Bug thread.
0
RenegadeX
1/12/2006 3:30:07 PM
On 12.01.2006 15:30 UK Time, RenegadeX wrote:
> Herb wrote:
>> On 12.01.2006 14:28 UK Time, RenegadeX wrote:
>>> Herb wrote:
>>>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to 
>>>> stick:
>>>>
>>>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>>>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>>>
>>>> Help please!
>>> What happens if you do the standard Windows 'remember my window 
>>> size'-thing by holding the SHIFT key while you click the X close 
>>> button? Works for me for 1 & 2 above. As for #3.. can you confirm a 
>>> suspicion - you prefer the View dropdown to say "Unread", right'?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for your reply.
>>
>> I wasn't aware of the shift Windows thing, but in any case, it doesn't 
>> work for me :-(
>>
>> I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'prefer the View dropdown to say 
>> "Unread"'.
> 
> It sounds like you may have other issues as #1&2 still aren't right for 
> you, but I was thinking of this:
> http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=293421
> 
> Simplified:
> When browsing newsgroups in TB1.5, if you change the View dropdown to 
> 'Unread', and the chosen sort-column is not the same as it was in the 
> 'All' view, not only does Thunderbird muddles the 'All' sort with the 
> 'Unread' view, but after exiting the group in 'Unread' mode and 
> returning to the group, Thunderbird will default to whatever column-sort 
> the 'All' view had. The results is that it appears that 'Thunderbird is 
> forgetting my column settings'.
> 
> Steps to reproduce are in the Bug thread.

Thanks, but I think you are right and there are other issues (or
possibly just a minor issue) with my profile, because none of the
interface changes stick, not even toolbar changes :-(

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herb
1/12/2006 3:44:35 PM
Herb wrote:

> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
> 
> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
> maximised, but it doesn't)
> 
> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
> 
> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
> 
> Help please!
> 
Close TB.  Then right click on the TB start up icon and select 
Properties.  Select the Shortcut tab and down below for Run click on 
the drop down and select Maximize.  Now click OK, and start up TB. 
Does this work for #1?
0
gwtc
1/12/2006 10:11:43 PM
On 12.01.2006 22:11 UK Time, gwtc wrote:
> Herb wrote:
> 
>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
>>
>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>
>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>
>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>
>> Help please!
>>
> Close TB.  Then right click on the TB start up icon and select 
> Properties.  Select the Shortcut tab and down below for Run click on the 
> drop down and select Maximize.  Now click OK, and start up TB. Does this 
> work for #1?

It does indeed, thanks, but it doesn't solve any of the other 
non-stickiness issues I mentioned in this thread.

I haven't had time yet to do some methodical testing, but when I've 
recovered from some serious work overload (still ongoing as we speak) 
and my head is a bit clearer, I have a feeling I might be able to get to 
the bottom of it through a process of elimination and/or by comparison 
with what's going to happen when I upgrade on my laptop.

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herb
1/12/2006 10:27:21 PM
On 12.01.2006 09:19 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Herb_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 3:53 AM:
>> I just upgraded to 1.5, and I can't get the following settings to stick:
>>
>> 1. TB doesn't remember last window size (i.e. I want it to open 
>> maximised, but it doesn't)
>>
>> 2. TB doesn't remember size of compose window (see above)
>>
>> 3. TB doesn't remember column display options
>>
>> Help please!
> 
> Close Thunderbird.
> Go to your profile folder.
> Remove the file 'localstore.rdf'.
> 
> The next time you start Thunderbird, you'll get the default window 
> layout, but any changes you make should stick.

Hi Chris,

I don't know whether you followed the other messages in this thread, but 
the problem still persists, and I wonder whether you have any more ideas 
before I start to try and get to the bottom of it using a process of 
elimination or abandon my profile.

Thanks in advance.

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herb
1/13/2006 8:38:51 AM
_Herb_ spoke thusly on 13/01/2006 3:38 AM:
> I don't know whether you followed the other messages in this thread, but 
> the problem still persists, and I wonder whether you have any more ideas 
> before I start to try and get to the bottom of it using a process of 
> elimination or abandon my profile.
> 
> Thanks in advance.

Try removing chrome.rdf from your profile's \chrome\ folder.
-- 
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
(Please do not email me tech support questions)
Mozilla Help <http://mozillahelp.com>
Netscape 7 Help <http://ilias.ca/netscape/>
0
Chris
1/13/2006 8:54:54 PM
On 13.01.2006 20:54 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Herb_ spoke thusly on 13/01/2006 3:38 AM:
>> I don't know whether you followed the other messages in this thread, 
>> but the problem still persists, and I wonder whether you have any more 
>> ideas before I start to try and get to the bottom of it using a 
>> process of elimination or abandon my profile.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
> 
> Try removing chrome.rdf from your profile's \chrome\ folder.

Hi Chris,

I only just saw your message, after I had done some more experimenting 
with my profile, and I had come to a similar conclusion, i.e. my 
settings problem must have something to do with the entries in my chrome 
folder.

However, deleting chrome.rdf doesn't appear to be enough.

I created a new profile, and I copied everything from my old profile, 
except the chrome folder, and the new profile works perfectly well - 
after deleting localstore.rdf as you suggested earlier.

The problem I had with my old profile somehow appears to be related to 
one or more of my entries in userContent.css and/or userChrome.css.

I'll do some more experimenting and report back.

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herb
1/15/2006 5:06:52 PM
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------030104010806060703000906
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 15.01.2006 17:06 UK Time, Herb wrote:
> On 13.01.2006 20:54 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> _Herb_ spoke thusly on 13/01/2006 3:38 AM:
>>> I don't know whether you followed the other messages in this thread, 
>>> but the problem still persists, and I wonder whether you have any 
>>> more ideas before I start to try and get to the bottom of it using a 
>>> process of elimination or abandon my profile.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Try removing chrome.rdf from your profile's \chrome\ folder.
> 
> Hi Chris,
> 
> I only just saw your message, after I had done some more experimenting 
> with my profile, and I had come to a similar conclusion, i.e. my 
> settings problem must have something to do with the entries in my chrome 
> folder.
> 
> However, deleting chrome.rdf doesn't appear to be enough.
> 
> I created a new profile, and I copied everything from my old profile, 
> except the chrome folder, and the new profile works perfectly well - 
> after deleting localstore.rdf as you suggested earlier.
> 
> The problem I had with my old profile somehow appears to be related to 
> one or more of my entries in userContent.css and/or userChrome.css.
> 
> I'll do some more experimenting and report back.
> 

After some further testing I think I can rule out userContent.css as the 
culprit, which is a relief, because it contains 2 settings I find really 
useful, i.e.

1. Customised setting for the QuoteCollapse extension that always makes 
the last previous quote visible without having to click on the + sign.

2. An option (provided by by Kjell B.) for *not* underlining links in 
message - I find underlining overkill, since links are displayed in blue 
and I therefore know they are links without the annoying underline.

I attach my userContent.css in case others like these settings too.

This leaves userChrome.css as the culprit - more of which later.

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

--------------030104010806060703000906
Content-Type: text/css;
 name="userContent.css"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline;
 filename="userContent.css"

/*
  * Do NOT underline links
  * Provided by Kjell B. in netscape.mozilla.thunderbird, 18 Dec 04
  */
a {
   text-decoration: none !important;
  * font-style: italic !important;
  * color: #777777 !important;
}

a:hover {
  * color: #888888 !important;
   text-decoration: underline !important;
   font-style: bold !important;
}

/* overwrite quotecollapse default */
blockquote[type="cite"] {
  background-image: none !important;
  height: auto !important;
  overflow: visible !important;
}

/* reinstate for level 1 and above: */
BODY.mailview blockquote[type="cite"] blockquote[type="cite"] {
  background-image: url("chrome://quotecollapse/skin/twisty-clsd.png") !important;
  background-repeat: no-repeat !important;
  background-position: top left !important;
  height: 3ex !important;
  padding-bottom: 0px !important;
  overflow: -moz-hidden-unscrollable !important;
}

BODY.mailview blockquote[type="cite"] blockquote[type="cite"][qctoggled="true"] {
  background-image: url("chrome://quotecollapse/skin/twisty-open.png") !important;
  background-repeat: no-repeat !important;
  background-position: top left !important;
  height: auto !important;
  overflow: visible !important;
}
--------------030104010806060703000906--
0
Herb
1/15/2006 5:38:00 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

FF 1.5 Beta 2 -> 1.5 RC2 upgrade incorrecly displays 1.5 RC2 as just 1.5 in upgrade windows
Name: Dustin Getz Product: Firefox Summary: FF 1.5 Beta 2 -> 1.5 RC2 upgrade incorrecly displays 1.5 RC2 as just 1.5 in upgrade windows Comments: Beta 2 automatic updater informed me that 1.5 was released, but it was really 1.5 RC2. Displayed version name was incorrect. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051107 Firefox/1.5 ...

superreview granted: [Bug 306020] Enable official branding and set version to "Firefox 1.5 Beta 1" for upcoming 1.8b4 milestone release : [Attachment 194711] Thunderbird changes to show 1.5 Beta1 in
Benjamin Smedberg [:bs] (formerly bsmedberg@covad.net) <benjamin@smedbergs.us> has granted Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org>'s request for superreview: Bug 306020: Enable official branding and set version to "Firefox 1.5 Beta 1" for upcoming 1.8b4 milestone release https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=306020 Attachment 194711: Thunderbird changes to show 1.5 Beta1 in the about dialog https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=194711&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Benjamin Smedberg [:bs] (formerly bsmedberg@covad.net) <...

superreview requested: [Bug 306020] Enable official branding and set version to "Firefox 1.5 Beta 1" for upcoming 1.8b4 milestone release : [Attachment 194711] Thunderbird changes to show 1.5 Beta1 i
Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> has asked Benjamin Smedberg [:bs] (formerly bsmedberg@covad.net) <benjamin@smedbergs.us> for superreview: Bug 306020: Enable official branding and set version to "Firefox 1.5 Beta 1" for upcoming 1.8b4 milestone release https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=306020 Attachment 194711: Thunderbird changes to show 1.5 Beta1 in the about dialog https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=194711&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> 1) Hard codes the about dialog to...

Turn off bolding of Draft folder - was: Settings not sticking after upgrade to 1.5
As reported earlier, I narrowed the problem of my settings not sticking after the upgrade to 1.5 down to userChrome.css. More specifically, the "mybindings.xbl" kindly provided by Karsten about a year ago in netscape.mozilla.thunderbird as part of the very long "Folder colours" thread, which subsequently changed to "bold messages in Unsent Folders/ Draft" appears to be incompatible with TB 1.5 and appears to make settings non-sticky. The original purpose of "mybindings.xbl" was to have user-definable colours for individual mail folder...

Hardware Migration: 5.1 to 6.5 upgrading to EDir fails
Hi! We habe got great problems migrating form our old server with 5.1 (SP8) to the new server with 6.5 ... After trying to migrate for 5 times (with a failure each time while upgrading nds to edir) we decided to upgrade nds to edir first! After running dsrepair with 0 errors and beginning the installtion the server wants to update the nds after the remote. At this time we got 4 errors while creating "parse vector, used by, uses..) later ldap can't be installed ("no refferals") and under X install cannot update the nds for pki, nmnas, auth., ... and got an ...

superreview granted: [Bug 341583] Bump Thunderbird version to 1.5.0.5 : [Attachment 225643] 1.5.0.4 -> 1.5.0.5
David Baron <dbaron@mozilla.com> has granted superreview: Bug 341583: Bump Thunderbird version to 1.5.0.5 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341583 Attachment 225643: 1.5.0.4 -> 1.5.0.5 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=225643&action=edit ...

THunderbird 1.0.2 or 1.5 upgrade?
I am happy right now using Thunderbird 1.0.2 But I've heard that upgrading to 1.5 is a good idea. What is the consensus on this? Thanks Mahl Mahlon Wagner wrote: > I am happy right now using Thunderbird 1.0.2 > > But I've heard that upgrading to 1.5 is a good idea. > > What is the consensus on this? > Thanks > Mahl 1.5 -- Signs to Indicate You Need a Really Long Vacation: You lecture the neighborhood kids selling lemonade on ways to improve their process Mahlon Wagner wrote: > I am happy right now using Thunderbird 1.0.2 > >...

upgrading Netware 5.1 with cluster 1.1 to netwarte 6.5 cluster 1.7
Hi, We are upgrading a 2 node cluster running Netware 5.1 sp 6 with cluster 1.1 to Netware 6.5 cluster 1.7. Halfway throu the process, both Netwareservers upgraded, the clusterupgrade starts, but after checking the 2 servers it claims: "at least 2 servers is needed..." something like this. We are using Overlay CD with Netware 6.5 sp1. The servers can both see the SAN Do you have a suggestion then dont hesitate... Thanks in advance Christian Krabbe Hi, We detached one of the servers and retryed. And viola. (Don't know why we had to detach...) Bye ...

Howto Upgrade FF 1.5. -> 1.5.0.1
Hello! I keep up about 300 computers enviroment and we use Firefox 1.5.0. Can I download somewhere only that patch (751 k) and then delivery (with SMS server) that to all our computers or should I download full version (1.5.0.1) and delivery that? Thanks, =mikko= _=mikko=_ spoke thusly on 02/02/2006 3:31 AM: > Hello! > > I keep up about 300 computers enviroment and we use Firefox 1.5.0. > > Can I download somewhere only that patch (751 k) and then delivery (with SMS > server) that to all our computers or should I download full version > (1....

5.1 to 5.1 hardware upgrade
Hi there, We have been upgrading our NetWare 5.1 servers by using the Dsmaint procedure Across the wire migration; unfortunately one our servers is close to 50 Gbs worth of data and we are looking for another way to do this hardware upgrade since the Dsmaint procedure would take hours if not days to finish up; downtime that we can not afford to have. Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Adolfo Garcia Sheriff's Office Technical Services Division Contra Costa County Martinez,CA 94553 On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:02:05 GMT, agarc@so.cccounty.us wrote: >Hi there, >...

Upgrade from 5.1 SB to 5.1
Does anyone know the procedure to upgrade Netware 5.1 Small Business to Netware 5.1. Is ti possible? Regards, Andrej Andrej, Can you describe a little more of what you want to do and why please? There might be now or in the very near future a better alternative. -- Dave Lunn NSF SysOp http://support.novell.com We would like to put NetWare 5.1 SB in to a existing tree of 5.1 tree that's way we need to upgrade it! Andrej We would like to put 5.1 SB in to existing tree of 5.1 that's way we need to upgrade it! Andrej Is the ...

I had to abandon my upgrade from Thunderbird 1.0 to 1.5
Name: Al Kelly Email: al_kellydotosiatcoxdotnet Product: Thunderbird Summary: I had to abandon my upgrade from Thunderbird 1.0 to 1.5 - It never started Comments: I love using Thunderbird and Firefox! I hoped to upgrade to your 1.5 ver of Thunderbird, but I had to use Norton "Go Back" to restore my Thunderbird version 1.0 (20041206) setup (it all came Back!!!). The 1.5 version never would start up!!! I tried several times, but it would always hang and the process would disappear. I have 1200 to 6000 files in most of my folders, but I compact them rou...

I had to abandon my upgrade from Thunderbird 1.0 to 1.5
Name: Al Kelly Email: al_kellydotosiatcoxdotnet Product: Thunderbird Summary: I had to abandon my upgrade from Thunderbird 1.0 to 1.5 - It never started Comments: I love using Thunderbird and Firefox! I hoped to upgrade to your 1.5 ver of Thunderbird, but I had to use Norton "Go Back" to restore my Thunderbird version 1.0 (20041206) setup (it all came Back!!!). The 1.5 version never would start up!!! I tried several times, but it would always hang and the process would disappear. I have 1200 to 6000 files in most of my folders, but I compact them rou...

superreview canceled: [Bug 410290] Update to Flashblock 1.5.5 : [ Attachment 295056] Upgrade to Flashblock 1.5.5+ (-w)
Philip Chee <philip.chee@gmail.com> has canceled Smokey Ardisson (no bugmai= l - do not email) <alqahira@ardisson.org>'s request for superreview: Bug 410290: Update to Flashblock 1.5.5 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3D410290 Attachment 295056: Upgrade to Flashblock 1.5.5+ (-w) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=3D295056&action=3Dedit ------- Additional Comments from Philip Chee <philip.chee@gmail.com> > + if (!isGecko17)=0D =0D I'm sorry but I forgot to inform you that if you are checking out flashblock.xml from our CVS...

Web resources about - Settings not sticking after upgrade to 1.5 - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Help:Contents/Account settings and maintenance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. , a non-profit organization.

Campaign setting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A campaign setting is usually a fictional world which serves as a setting for a role-playing game or wargame campaign. A campaign is a series ...

Privacy Setting For New Facebook Users Aged 13-17 Now Defaults To ‘Friends’
Facebook is changing the initial default privacy setting for users aged 13 through 17 to friends, from friends of friends, but those teen users ...

Facebook changes default privacy settings for new users to friends-only
Facebook announced today a shift in privacy settings for new users. Now, when someone signs up for a profile, their default posting status is ...

SwiftKey updated with a new theme and redesigned Settings menu
... and fall with real gravity depending on how the phone is tilted. The theme can be unlocked with a $1.99 in-app purchase. A revamped Settings ...

Windows 10 November update was pulled for forgetting privacy settings; it’s now back
... Last week Microsoft received reports that, when upgrading from the Windows 10 July release to the November update, four privacy-related settings ...

College Football's Month of Mayhem Setting Up Fantastic Road to Playoff
Few have been spared. The nature of an unpredictable sport in the midst of an unpredictable season has been nothing short of madness—regulated, ...

Robot price-setting has just begun
Uber gets criticism for surge pricing, but dynamic pricing is showing up in more and more places.

Microsoft's November Windows 10 update messed up some users' privacy settings
People who updated to the latest Windows 10 update may want to double-check their settings. Microsoft revealed Tuesday that it took the previous ...

See Just Cause 3 running on max settings in 4K
After the whole usual pre-release kerfuffle and grumbling about Just Cause 3 running at 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One, here is some dedicated ...

Resources last updated: 12/1/2015 10:15:35 PM