Set Thunderbird as the Default for the "feed" Protocol

Thunderibird supports the feed protocol for auto-subscribing to feeds.

For example: feed://feeds.arstechnica.com/arstechnica/index

(I think it sometimes supports http(s):// after "feed://")

But, Thunderbird 52.7.0 (32-bit) doesn't add the keys to the Windows
registry (Windows 10 64-bit Pro) so that Thunderbird can be set as the
default for it.

I've added the following to the Windows 10 registry to put the handling
under the Thunderbird News handler. But, when I goto "Settings -> Apps
-> Default Apps -> Set Default by App -> Thunderbird News", although
"Feed" is present, Thunderbird isn't available as an option for it.
Also, under "set default by protocol", I don't see "feed" mentioned
anywhere. Do I have to add a "feed" key to
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes",
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes" and "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" with the
shell open command?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\News\Mozilla
Thunderbird\Protocols\feed]
@="Thunderbird (News) URL"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000002
"FriendlyTypeName"="Thunderbird (News) URL"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\News\Mozilla
Thunderbird\Protocols\feed\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\News\Mozilla
Thunderbird\Protocols\feed\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\News\Mozilla
Thunderbird\Protocols\feed\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\News\Mozilla
Thunderbird\Protocols\feed\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe\"
-osint -mail \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\News\Mozilla
Thunderbird\Capabilities\URLAssociations]
"nntp"="Thunderbird.Url.news"
"news"="Thunderbird.Url.news"
"snews"="Thunderbird.Url.news"
"feed"="Thunderbird.Url.news" <====

In the past, I do remember Thunderbird handling the feed protocol even
though it wasn't an option in Default Programs. I used to see "feeds"
listed in a startup dialog in Thunderbird when Thunderbird recognized it
wasn't the default. I don't see that anymore.

--
Michael
0