sent messages going to draft folder? addendum

I use Thunderfix now and it seems to
help...http://thunderfix.software.informer.com/
0
prof
11/12/2017 11:22:40 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22132 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Em 12-11-2017 21:22, prof Johnson PHD escreveu:
> I use Thunderfix now and it seems to
> help...http://thunderfix.software.informer.com/

Nice! A tool to delete the MSF files in our profile.

A related question: may we simply manually delete the big .msf files we
find in our profile? If so, I do not need an extension for that.

0
Balaco
11/13/2017 12:26:36 AM
On 11/12/2017 7:26 PM, Balaco wrote:
> Em 12-11-2017 21:22, prof Johnson PHD escreveu:
>> I use Thunderfix now and it seems to
>> help...http://thunderfix.software.informer.com/
>
> Nice! A tool to delete the MSF files in our profile.
>
> A related question: may we simply manually delete the big .msf files we
> find in our profile? If so, I do not need an extension for that.

of course you can after you go into c users xxxx AppData Roaming
Thunderbird Profiles c8dq3k1.default mail localfolder-1 and delete each
...msf file. or do a search for *.msf I just prefer to have it done with a
couple of clicks.....
0
prof
11/13/2017 1:36:00 PM
On 11/13/2017 8:36 AM, prof Johnson PHD wrote:
> On 11/12/2017 7:26 PM, Balaco wrote:
>> Em 12-11-2017 21:22, prof Johnson PHD escreveu:
>>> I use Thunderfix now and it seems to
>>> help...http://thunderfix.software.informer.com/
>>
>> Nice! A tool to delete the MSF files in our profile.
>>
>> A related question: may we simply manually delete the big .msf files
>> we find in our profile? If so, I do not need an extension for that.
>>
> of course you can after you go into c users xxxx AppData Roaming
> Thunderbird Profiles c8dq3k1.default mail localfolder-1 and delete each
> ..msf file. or do a search for *.msf I just prefer to have it done with
> a couple of clicks.....
Please remember there are two files associated with each email folder.
The first is the *.MSF file mentioned above.  This is an index file,
it's size depends on the size depends on the size of the *. file which
contains the text from the emails in that folder.   ie sent.msf and sent.

The *.msf files can be deleted manually, as TB will automatically
reindex the *. files on start up.   If you delete the *. files then your
email messages will be gone.

The best way to reduce the size of these files is to clean out the old
emails in that folder.   I had not cleaned my sent folder for several
years, but recently decided to clean it out.  Since I had sent the
attachments; I decided there were copies in other folders on my
computer, and deleted all email with an attachment.   This changed the
size of my sent. file from 230MB to 30. The sent.msf was reduced
proportionally

I heard that TB will be changing the way it saves its email so this may
be changing.
0
Keith
11/13/2017 3:01:16 PM
Em 13-11-2017 13:01, Keith Nuttle escreveu:
> On 11/13/2017 8:36 AM, prof Johnson PHD wrote:
>>>
>>> Nice! A tool to delete the MSF files in our profile.
>>>
>>> A related question: may we simply manually delete the big .msf files
>>> we find in our profile? If so, I do not need an extension for that.
>>>
>> of course you can after you go into c users xxxx AppData Roaming
>> Thunderbird Profiles c8dq3k1.default mail localfolder-1 and delete
>> each ..msf file. or do a search for *.msf I just prefer to have it
>> done with a couple of clicks.....
> ..
> Please remember there are two files associated with each email folder.
> The first is the *.MSF file mentioned above.  This is an index file,
> it's size depends on the size depends on the size of the *. file which
> contains the text from the emails in that folder.   ie sent.msf and sent.
>
> The *.msf files can be deleted manually, as TB will automatically
> reindex the *. files on start up.   If you delete the *. files then your
> email messages will be gone.

By "email messages will be gone" you mean that their cached version will
be removed from the computer, although they remain in the server, if the
account is IMAP? Or they will be deleted in the next use of that TB profile?

> The best way to reduce the size of these files is to clean out the old
> emails in that folder.   I had not cleaned my sent folder for several
> years, but recently decided to clean it out.  Since I had sent the
> attachments; I decided there were copies in other folders on my
> computer, and deleted all email with an attachment.   This changed the
> size of my sent. file from 230MB to 30. The sent.msf was reduced
> proportionally

> I heard that TB will be changing the way it saves its email so this may
> be changing.

I want to hear more about such changes, so I do not take the risk of
making things manually that does not work as I am expecting them to.

0
Balaco
11/14/2017 9:51:55 AM
Em 13-11-2017 11:36, prof Johnson PHD escreveu:
> On 11/12/2017 7:26 PM, Balaco wrote:
>> Em 12-11-2017 21:22, prof Johnson PHD escreveu:
>>> I use Thunderfix now and it seems to
>>> help...http://thunderfix.software.informer.com/
>>
>> Nice! A tool to delete the MSF files in our profile.
>>
>> A related question: may we simply manually delete the big .msf files
>> we find in our profile? If so, I do not need an extension for that.
>>
> of course you can after you go into c users xxxx AppData Roaming
> Thunderbird Profiles c8dq3k1.default mail localfolder-1 and delete each
> ..msf file. or do a search for *.msf I just prefer to have it done with
> a couple of clicks.....

In Linux (and possible other platforms too) the path is different. But
should be similar after the "xxxx" profile  or "AppData" folders.

I find it easy enough to remove them manually. (:
0
Balaco
11/14/2017 9:54:05 AM

On 2017-11-14 09:54, Balaco wrote:
> Em 13-11-2017 11:36, prof Johnson PHD escreveu:
>> On 11/12/2017 7:26 PM, Balaco wrote:
>>>
>>> A related question: may we simply manually delete the big .msf files
>>> we find in our profile? If so, I do not need an extension for that.

What value does deleting msf files offer you? They will be rebuilt
anyway, so I think you'll just spend more time and come back to be
exactly where you are right now.

Compacting your mbox files is rather more relevant, IMHO.

--
Chris
0
On 11/14/2017 4:51 AM, Balaco wrote:
> By "email messages will be gone" you mean that their cached version will
> be removed from the computer, although they remain in the server, if the
> account is IMAP? Or they will be deleted in the next use of that TB
> profile?
I believe it depends on how the account is set up.  With a POP account
it can be set up that when you download email it is moved to the trash
on the mail server, but is deleted from  the server by the rules you
establish.   I assume an the other type of account works similarly
0
Keith
11/14/2017 12:26:17 PM
On 2017-11-14 04:59, Chris Ramsden wrote:

> On 2017-11-14 09:54, Balaco wrote:

> What value does deleting msf files offer you? They will be rebuilt
> anyway, so I think you'll just spend more time and come back to be
> exactly where you are right now.
>
> Compacting your mbox files is rather more relevant, IMHO.

Manual deletion of *.msf files is an alternative to Repair Folder, which
in earlier versions of Tbird was buggy.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

On 14/11/17 14:10, Wolf K wrote:
> On 2017-11-14 04:59, Chris Ramsden wrote:

>> What value does deleting msf files offer you? They will be rebuilt
>> anyway, so I think you'll just spend more time and come back to be
>> exactly where you are right now.
>>
>> Compacting your mbox files is rather more relevant, IMHO.
>>

> Manual deletion of *.msf files is an alternative to Repair Folder, which in earlier versions of Tbird was buggy.

Yeah, but the OP specifically mentioned "big".

--
Chris
0
On 11/14/17 4:51 AM, Balaco wrote:
> Em 13-11-2017 13:01, Keith Nuttle escreveu:

<snip>

>> I heard that TB will be changing the way it saves its email so this may
>> be changing.
>
> I want to hear more about such changes, so I do not take the risk of
> making things manually that does not work as I am expecting them to.

Here you go!

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/maildir-thunderbird>

<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Maildir>

Available now for new accounts.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
11/14/2017 3:02:35 PM
On 11/14/2017 at 10:02 AM, WaltS48 created this epitome of digital genius:
> On 11/14/17 4:51 AM, Balaco wrote:
>> Em 13-11-2017 13:01, Keith Nuttle escreveu:
>
> <snip>
>

>>> I heard that TB will be changing the way it saves its email so this may
>>> be changing.
>>
>> I want to hear more about such changes, so I do not take the risk of
>> making things manually that does not work as I am expecting them to.
>>

> Here you go!
>
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/maildir-thunderbird>
>
> <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Maildir>
>
> Available now for new accounts.

"Maildir is disabled by default because there are still many bugs. It is
not 100% ready for users."

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/