See replies to own posts

Hi!

I use Thunderbird as a news client, and I am missing a functionality: it
is very hard to see when replies to own posts are available, especially
when with 15-20 newsgroups spread 2-3 servers!

There is a trick with the filters, so that threads are set as "watched"
when I post into them, but it is not really do the job.

Do you know any other (better) solution?
Are there any plans to address this issue?
0
Olivier
1/10/2006 6:36:15 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 21715 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Olivier Croquette wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I use Thunderbird as a news client, and I am missing a functionality: it
> is very hard to see when replies to own posts are available, especially
> when with 15-20 newsgroups spread 2-3 servers!
>
> There is a trick with the filters, so that threads are set as "watched"
> when I post into them, but it is not really do the job.

What I do is make sure that my own posts are marked 'unread' when I leave the
newsgroup (I have perhaps 50 groups in 4 (now 5!) servers.  Sometimes posts
just below mine in the thread are not replies to my posts, but that's life.
The tiny icon-fragments applied to the icons associated with messages are
virtually worthless at 1600x1200, so being able to label messages with
different colors is a real godsend.

--
Cheers,
Bev
> Hi!
>
> I use Thunderbird as a news client, and I am missing a functionality: it
> is very hard to see when replies to own posts are available, especially
> when with 15-20 newsgroups spread 2-3 servers!
>
> There is a trick with the filters, so that threads are set as "watched"
> when I post into them, but it is not really do the job.
>
> Do you know any other (better) solution?
> Are there any plans to address this issue?

Here's what I do:

Create a Filter at the server level to mark all my messages as important
and watch the thread.

Then all my posts are colored red. It's easy to find them and follow the
threads.

How to do this?

Right-click on your own name and copy the email address to the
clipboard. (No don't create a filter here. If you do it will only work
for this newsgroup, not all of them under this server.)

Then:
from the Thunderbird "Tools" menu select "Message Filters..."

   On the top of the "Message Filters" dialog box is a drop down box.

     - hover the mouse cursor over the news server name
       (e.g. "news.mozilla.org" or whatever you may have named it)

       -> at the top of the pop-up list is "choose this news server."
          (Pick that one.)

Then:
Press the "New" button. (a new box pops up)

   Give your filter a name e.g. "Highlight Me"

    -Then enter this info:
      - From ->  Contains -> [paste your email address here]
                  (or "is")
    - Under Perform these actions select:
      - "Label Message As" -> "Important"

      - click the plus sign to the right

     Then select:
      - "Watch Thread"
0
RichDR71
1/10/2006 10:53:43 PM
On 1/10/2006 10:36 AM Pacific, Olivier Croquette wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I use Thunderbird as a news client, and I am missing a functionality: it
> is very hard to see when replies to own posts are available, especially
> when with 15-20 newsgroups spread 2-3 servers!
>
> There is a trick with the filters, so that threads are set as "watched"
> when I post into them, but it is not really do the job.
>
> Do you know any other (better) solution?
> Are there any plans to address this issue?
Checking my filter.

Irwin

--
Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
About Profiles -
On 01/10/06 17:53, RichDR71 wrote:
> Olivier Croquette composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 10:36 AM:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I use Thunderbird as a news client, and I am missing a functionality:
>> it is very hard to see when replies to own posts are available,
>> especially when with 15-20 newsgroups spread 2-3 servers!
>>
>> There is a trick with the filters, so that threads are set as
>> "watched" when I post into them, but it is not really do the job.
>>
>> Do you know any other (better) solution?
>> Are there any plans to address this issue?
>
> Here's what I do:
>
> Create a Filter at the server level to mark all my messages as important
> and watch the thread.
>
> Then all my posts are colored red. It's easy to find them and follow the
> threads.
>
> How to do this?
>
> Right-click on your own name and copy the email address to the
> clipboard. (No don't create a filter here. If you do it will only work
> for this newsgroup, not all of them under this server.)
>
> Then:
> from the Thunderbird "Tools" menu select "Message Filters..."
>
>   On the top of the "Message Filters" dialog box is a drop down box.
>
>     - hover the mouse cursor over the news server name
>       (e.g. "news.mozilla.org" or whatever you may have named it)
>
>       -> at the top of the pop-up list is "choose this news server."
>          (Pick that one.)
>
> Then:
> Press the "New" button. (a new box pops up)
>
>   Give your filter a name e.g. "Highlight Me"
>
>    -Then enter this info:
>      - From ->  Contains -> [paste your email address here]
>                  (or "is")

"Is" is better, because with "contains", if you're bob@gmail.com,
messages by jimbob@gmail.com would also be affected by the filter. Not
that it's likely you'll run across someone else with an email address
that would match, but it's only two extra clicks.

>    - Under Perform these actions select:
>      - "Label Message As" -> "Important"
>
>      - click the plus sign to the right
>
>     Then select:
>      - "Watch Thread"

I only ever watch threads with that filter, so I have this code in my
userChrome.css that makes the name of the first post in a watched thread
purple:

/* Highlight watched threads. */
treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(news, watch) {
    color: purple !important;
}

(Credit must be given to Andrew DeFaria for the code. :-) )

It looks ugly if a label is applied to the message (the purple text
overrides it, but the background can be a different color, though I
suppose I could stop that with "background-color: white !important;"),
but that isn't very common, so I'm okay with it.
--
Yay!
0

If I understand correctly, there are ways to highlight posts or threads
where I have contributed, but no way to really find all the replies to
my posts. There is still a manual effort to perform. Too bad, I really
miss this functionality!
0
Olivier
1/11/2006 6:20:14 PM
If the sorting order at the top of the list worked correctly, then it
would be easy - but it doesn't

By clicking on 'sort by threads' then 'sort by flag', all threads should
be sorted firstly by 'threads', then by 'flagged' (as is done is most
other windows software that uses a list control)

If you flag your own posts, they would then appear at the top.

Too bad the sorting doesn't work huh!

Joe

Olivier Croquette wrote:

> Thanks for the replies and the ideas.
>
> If I understand correctly, there are ways to highlight posts or threads
> where I have contributed, but no way to really find all the replies to
> my posts. There is still a manual effort to perform. Too bad, I really
> miss this functionality!
0
JoeB

When replying to a Usenet Post in Outlook, Thunderbird Starts Up and the reply comes from a different news server.
I occasionally need to use Outlook for Usenet posting. For new posts, this works fine. But when I try to reply to a post in Outlook, Thunderbird starts up, and uses a different news server than the news server I'm using in Outlook. I can't figure out how to keep Thunderbird from "taking over" on replies to posts ...

message not posting at support.thunderbird
I've been trying to post a message relating to a sorting issue with TB newsgroup m.s.TB that included a screenshot attachment showing the problem, (The problem being a few June 2010 posts amidst the descending sort predominately from Oct 2011). Are "attachments" un-supported even though the option to do so are enabled? Thanks, Bill On 10/31/2011 11:29 AM, Bill Stanton wrote: > I've been trying to post a message relating to a sorting issue > with TB newsgroup m.s.TB that included a screenshot attachment > showing the problem, (The problem being a few ...

Reply to posts using Thunderbird
Sorry,but I am a real dumbo!It took me a while to figure out that TB stands for Thuderbird! I know there has been a lot of posts on the above issue ie should the reply be over or below the belt(!!) My personal opinion is -it is a matter of choice. In one of the posts I read that you can change it by going through the following process:Tools-Options-Composition-Addressing. Well I want to change my reply format which will enable me to have my reply over the previous message but have not been able to do so using the above advice as there is nothing that can be changed while going ...

Seeing replies to your newsgroup posts
I really like Thunderbird & am using it in Vista. I want to be able to view a newsgroup & see only replies to my messages & also posts in threads I have posted to (even if the posts are not direct replies to my own posts), like OE does. I've tried creating filters looking for my name/email address in the post body & setting it to watch or change the importance to high. This works for my own posts but not replies as in above. The filter won't let me search the BODY of newsgroup messages, is there a add-on to achieve this? I can't find one. If I coul...

posted before and no replies yet so ill post again
I am having a problem with failed logins. Every morning at 8:00 I log on my computer check email and finish up work from the previous day. Around 8:30 I go to Remote Manager to check the health monitor and every morning for the past week or so the failed login's per hour is red. There are 24 failed logins everymorning from my computer within a time span of 2 minutes right around 8:23 - 8:25. I am getting logged onto the network fine no error messages. I have recently changed my password and someone in a different forum said that an app or program or even malware might be tr...

Reply to Mark Cross. the post I was replying to is gone
Mark Cross Scribbled on the wall: > TimS wrote: > >> Mark Cross Scribbled on the wall: >>> TimS wrote: >>> >>> [...] >>>> Done... finally ;-) >>>> went through the whole install process no problems. > > [...] >> The file is there. > I am assuming you mean the "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" file, which is good news. > >> EE Failed to load /usrlib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia-drv.so > > Hmmm, the plot thickens, the "nvidia-drv.so" is created and installed by &g...

Reply to mail sets the reply mail as posted message?
Hi All, We are having a strange issue when doing a reply with Groupwise 8 (windows client), the reply mail is a posted message. There is no SEND button.. only Post and also no address input field. It's seens the wrong view is being applied to the reply to command. This happens when replying to internal mail as well as mail from internet. When right clicking the message and selecting reply, two options of three are presented: reply to sender, reply privately. The default reply to sender results in a post type message... reply privately brings up the normal reply to group....

Thunderbird sometimes won't post my post.
Anyone else experience this at all? Should I go ahead and upgrade to 2.0.0.4 (or whatever version it is)? If the problem isn't actually fixed with an upgrade I'd rather not upgrade just yet. Thunderbird 2.0.0.0 (20070326) Thanks! -- -Lost Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am kidding. No I am not. -Lost wrote: > Anyone else experience this at all? > > Should I go ahead and upgrade to 2.0.0.4 (or whatever version it is)? If > the problem isn't actually fixed with an upgrade I'd rather not upgrade > j...

how to POST a reply
OK - how does one post a reply in this group. everytime I repy to an existing msg, I get an error message saying:::::: could not post your message. Subject 'Re: You just bought this, But we don't care.........', Account: 'news.grc.com', Server: 'news.grc.com', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 Please reduce your quoting of the previous post.', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9 the post was only a few (21) lines long. Bob wrote: > > OK - how does one post a reply in this group. > > e...

Post for Thunderbird here?
Greetings, I can't believe it, I've given up Xnews for thunderbird .5 Is this the right newsgroup for questions regarding thunderbird? I'd like to change the names of the newsgroup folders. I right click and rename, but nothing happens. Thanks, Mark And it came to pass that Kram wrote: > Greetings, > > I can't believe it, I've given up Xnews for thunderbird .5 > > Is this the right newsgroup for questions regarding > thunderbird? snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.thuderbird -- Netscape FAQs: http://www.ufaq....

reply to a post
Hi, I am having trouble replying to a post with Outlook Express. Should I be clicking "Reply" or "Reply Group" When I use "Reply" it is using the user who posted in the To box and not the news.grc address. Is that how it works? And these address are not valid Confused????? "Malcolm Smith" <malcolm_smith@RemoveThis.optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:dttsco$25n4$2@news.grc.com... > Hi, > > I am having trouble replying to a post with Outlook Express. > > Should I be clicking "Reply" or "...

Support Thunderbird
Tony VAN ACKER email: _vtony@belgacom.net _Support Thunderbird._ _Hello, 1/ I have a problem.... to solve 2/ I ... must search in knowledge base SO..... I have 2 ( two ) PROBLEMS.... I don't like that. My problem: I have a database with all information of my letters, emails and pdf ( information/documentation ) with _/*DELPHI ( Pascal )*/_ I work with Thunderbird. I wish the date, subject and sender of each email in my database... NOW... I should.... ( much work ) 1/ I Save the email with *.eml 2/ I Start notepad.exe and load the *.eml 3/ I stip the date, sub...

support/what support
Name: William Johnson Email: william0992atsbcglobaldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: support/what support Comments: your support? department for Firefox issues is nothing but a circular maze of unbelievably confusing information that is of no use for the layman and I would dump this piece of trash if I didn't need it for certain websites. I don't know how to reprogram the many bugs or fix the many websites broken by this thing and its "error console" with no directions as to what to do with it. What is it's purpose if there is no help function for it? ...

reply to reply
I seem to be running into issues with several clients that we host AV/SPAM services for. They relay out through our secondary GWIA. The past couple of days when ever they reply to a message maybe 20% of the time or more they get an undeliverable message and the GWIA log errors range from Send Failure: 550 Host unknown (thefightnetwork.com) this was on a reply to their reply. Response: 550 Relaying denied (we're not relaying we're replying) Response: 550 Host unknown (lynx.org) (but can nslookup type=mx no issue) Response: 550 Host unknown (bell.ca) This seems to...

Web resources about - See replies to own posts - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Facebook Rolling Out Replies, Ranked Comments
As reported last week , Facebook announced Monday that it will launch new features for its comments section: Replies, which will allow page administrators ...

Improving Conversations on Facebook with Replies - Facebook
Facebook + Journalists hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Improving Conversations on Facebook with Replies geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen ...

New APIs for Comment Replies
Last week, we launched comment replies on Facebook pages and profiles with more than 10,000 followers. This allows businesses and celebrities ...

Facebook mobile now has threaded replies on comments
Facebook recently made it easier to keep track of a conversation on the mobile app. Inside Facebook discovered recently that threaded replies ...

Search Twitter - from:EMQld OR from:QldSES OR from:QldFES OR from:TMRQld exclude:replies exclude:retweets ...
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Search Refresh Qld Fire & ...

The Replies Kerfuffle - Twitter Blogs
Twitter evolves and thrives on how folks use it. Some of our best features are invented by users, so listening is extremely valuable. Replies ...

Visualization: @replies (Archive) - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... as people reached out to friends, family and loved ones in the moments after the March 2011 earthquake. This video shows the volume of @replies ...

Tuomas Enbuske Talk Show - Tuomas replies to New Zealand's Gerry Brownlee - YouTube
Finnish Talk Show host Tuomas Enbuske answers to New Zealand's Transport Minister Gerry Brownlee about Minister's comments on Finland. Tuomas ...

Response of the Day: Google Replies to Press Inquiry with Reaction GIF
We’re one step closer to completely eliminating spoken language and communicating to each other only via GIFs. The Daily Dot wrote an article ...

Woman accidentally sends boob flash Snapchat to boss—he replies
IT’S everyone’s worst nightmare: sending a raunchy photo to your boss by mistake. For one woman it became a reality when she sent this.