Script Problem

I'm using TB 31.4.0 in Win XP.

For some time I've been seeing this message pop-up frequently:

"Unresponsive Script
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now,
or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: chrome://messenger/content/toolbarIconColor.js:55"

with a choice of "continue" or "stop".

Another one that appears not quite so often is:

"Script: chrome://messenger/content/folderPane.js:503"

I have been unable to determine what either one is, what is causing it or how to fix it, even
looking for it with Google. It also tends to lock up my system for a period from seconds to minutes,
during which nothing works. Then it will "unfreeze" until the next time, which might be ten minutes
or the next day.

What does the script do? What breaks it to cause the warning? How can I get rid of it or stop the break?

I do not, have never used "messenger" or "chat", if this is coming from that.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

--
Dave
"Tam multi libri, tam breve tempus!"

David C. Kifer wrote on 1/24/2015 2:04 PM:
> I'm using TB 31.4.0 in Win XP.
>
> For some time I've been seeing this message pop-up frequently:
>
> "Unresponsive Script
> A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You
> can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will
> complete.
>
> Script: chrome://messenger/content/toolbarIconColor.js:55"
>
> with a choice of "continue" or "stop".
>
> Another one that appears not quite so often is:
>
> "Script: chrome://messenger/content/folderPane.js:503"
>
> I have been unable to determine what either one is, what is causing it or
> how to fix it, even looking for it with Google. It also tends to lock up
> my system for a period from seconds to minutes, during which nothing
> works. Then it will "unfreeze" until the next time, which might be ten
> minutes or the next day.
>
> What does the script do? What breaks it to cause the warning? How can I
> get rid of it or stop the break?
>
> I do not, have never used "messenger" or "chat", if this is coming from that.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks.

First of all, TB has not supported running of external scripts since TB3.
  These are scripts used internally to run functions of the program. The
first error is one effecting the toolbar region of the GUI.  The second
effects layout of the folderpane.

If you can determine a way these errors are reproducible it would aid a
Dev to trouble shoot and fix the cause. It may be a platform unique issue,
since your the first person I have seen raise this issue. There may be a
compressed archive reading problem.

--
Ron K.
Ron
On 1/24/2015 18:23 PM, Ron K. wrote:
> David C. Kifer wrote on 1/24/2015 2:04 PM:
>> I'm using TB 31.4.0 in Win XP.
>>
>> For some time I've been seeing this message pop-up frequently:
>>
>> "Unresponsive Script
>> A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You
>> can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will
>> complete.
>>
>> Script: chrome://messenger/content/toolbarIconColor.js:55"
>>
>> with a choice of "continue" or "stop".
>>
>> Another one that appears not quite so often is:
>>
>> "Script: chrome://messenger/content/folderPane.js:503"
>>
>> I have been unable to determine what either one is, what is causing it or
>> how to fix it, even looking for it with Google. It also tends to lock up
>> my system for a period from seconds to minutes, during which nothing
>> works. Then it will "unfreeze" until the next time, which might be ten
>> minutes or the next day.
>>
>> What does the script do? What breaks it to cause the warning? How can I
>> get rid of it or stop the break?
>>
>> I do not, have never used "messenger" or "chat", if this is coming from that.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>

> First of all, TB has not supported running of external scripts since TB3.  These are scripts used
> internally to run functions of the program. The first error is one effecting the toolbar region of
> the GUI.  The second effects layout of the folderpane.

Thanks for the Reply.

So these are scripts built into Thunderbird? I have noticed no changes, before/during/after the
message appears, in either the toolbar or the folderpane.

> If you can determine a way these errors are reproducible it would aid a Dev to trouble shoot and fix
> the cause. It may be a platform unique issue, since your the first person I have seen raise this
> issue. There may be a compressed archive reading problem.

I do not use the "archive" function of TB. Is there a compression I'm unaware of in the "usual"
folders -- Inbox/Draft/etc.?

Three other messages I have seen but once or twice, if they may point to something:

Script: chrome://calendar/content/calendar-invitations-manager.js:22

Script: chrome://sendlater3/content/backgrounding.js:857

Script: chrome://global/content/bindings/progressmeter.xml:26

I will try harder to pin down what might be happening just before these messages appear. If I can,
I'll return with details.
As mentioned above, many of the warnings appear when I am not actively using TB, while it's open but
in the background.

Thanks.

--
Dave
"Tam multi libri, tam breve tempus!"
(Et brevis pecunia.) [Et breve spatium.]
0
David
1/25/2015 7:43:07 PM
David C. Kifer wrote on 1/25/2015 1:43 PM:
> On 1/24/2015 18:23 PM, Ron K. wrote:
>> David C. Kifer wrote on 1/24/2015 2:04 PM:
>>> I'm using TB 31.4.0 in Win XP.
>>>
>>> For some time I've been seeing this message pop-up frequently:
>>>
>>> "Unresponsive Script
>>> A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You
>>> can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will
>>> complete.
>>>
>>> Script: chrome://messenger/content/toolbarIconColor.js:55"
>>>
>>> with a choice of "continue" or "stop".
>>>
>>> Another one that appears not quite so often is:
>>>
>>> "Script: chrome://messenger/content/folderPane.js:503"
>>>
>>> I have been unable to determine what either one is, what is causing it or
>>> how to fix it, even looking for it with Google. It also tends to lock up
>>> my system for a period from seconds to minutes, during which nothing
>>> works. Then it will "unfreeze" until the next time, which might be ten
>>> minutes or the next day.
>>>
>>> What does the script do? What breaks it to cause the warning? How can I
>>> get rid of it or stop the break?
>>>
>>> I do not, have never used "messenger" or "chat", if this is coming from
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>>

>> First of all, TB has not supported running of external scripts since
>> TB3.  These are scripts used
>> internally to run functions of the program. The first error is one
>> effecting the toolbar region of
>> the GUI.  The second effects layout of the folderpane.
>
> Thanks for the Reply.
>
> So these are scripts built into Thunderbird? I have noticed no changes,
> before/during/after the message appears, in either the toolbar or the
> folderpane.
>
>> If you can determine a way these errors are reproducible it would aid a
>> Dev to trouble shoot and fix
>> the cause. It may be a platform unique issue, since your the first
>> person I have seen raise this
>> issue. There may be a compressed archive reading problem.
>
> I do not use the "archive" function of TB. Is there a compression I'm
> unaware of in the "usual" folders -- Inbox/Draft/etc.?
>
> Three other messages I have seen but once or twice, if they may point to
> something:
>
> Script: chrome://calendar/content/calendar-invitations-manager.js:22
>
> Script: chrome://sendlater3/content/backgrounding.js:857
>
> Script: chrome://global/content/bindings/progressmeter.xml:26
>
> I will try harder to pin down what might be happening just before these
> messages appear. If I can, I'll return with details.
> As mentioned above, many of the warnings appear when I am not actively
> using TB, while it's open but in the background.
>
> Thanks.

During the early years of development, Mozilla installed all the code
modules in a folder tree.  As FF and TB matured and access to the modules
was not important to end users, the files were packaged into a single file
which is named omni.ja.  This file was processed into a compressed archive
format. All of the file paths you listed are for script files residing
within the omni.ja file.

What some cases of error messages signal is the code was expecting a
result at the stated error point and the action was wrong or missing.
Having an error handler step in then can prevent the application from
crashing on non-critical errors.

--
Ron K.
Ron
On 1/24/2015 6:23 PM, Ron K. wrote:
> David C. Kifer wrote on 1/24/2015 2:04 PM:
>> I'm using TB 31.4.0 in Win XP.
>>
>> For some time I've been seeing this message pop-up frequently:
>>
>> "Unresponsive Script
>> A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You
>> can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will
>> complete.
>>
>> Script: chrome://messenger/content/toolbarIconColor.js:55"
>>
>> with a choice of "continue" or "stop".
>>
>> Another one that appears not quite so often is:
>>
>> "Script: chrome://messenger/content/folderPane.js:503"
>>
>> I have been unable to determine what either one is, what is causing it or
>> how to fix it, even looking for it with Google. It also tends to lock up
>> my system for a period from seconds to minutes, during which nothing
>> works. Then it will "unfreeze" until the next time, which might be ten
>> minutes or the next day.
>>
>> What does the script do? What breaks it to cause the warning? How can I
>> get rid of it or stop the break?
>>
>> I do not, have never used "messenger" or "chat", if this is coming
>> from that.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>

> First of all, TB has not supported running of external scripts since
> TB3.  These are scripts used internally to run functions of the program.
> The first error is one effecting the toolbar region of the GUI.  The
> second effects layout of the folderpane.
>
> If you can determine a way these errors are reproducible it would aid a
> Dev to trouble shoot and fix the cause. It may be a platform unique
> issue, since your the first person I have seen raise this issue. There
> may be a compressed archive reading problem.

The most common cause of Unresponsive Script is not a script problem per
se, but rather some general performance problem not related to the
script - something in excess of 50%.  In other words, the script is the
victim of someone else's deeds.

So unless you have very specific steps that reproduce the problem
(deleting messages for example) and always point to the same script,
then the first order of business is to determine if the cause may be an
addon, or some other program, which is where
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing:Memory_Usage_Problems can help.

0
Wayne
1/25/2015 9:53:43 PM
On 1/25/2015 16:53 PM, Wayne wrote:
> On 1/24/2015 6:23 PM, Ron K. wrote:
>> David C. Kifer wrote on 1/24/2015 2:04 PM:
>>> I'm using TB 31.4.0 in Win XP.
>>>
>>> For some time I've been seeing this message pop-up frequently:
>>>
>>> "Unresponsive Script
>>> A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You
>>> can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will
>>> complete.
>>>
>>> Script: chrome://messenger/content/toolbarIconColor.js:55"
>>>
>>> with a choice of "continue" or "stop".
>>>
>>> Another one that appears not quite so often is:
>>>
>>> "Script: chrome://messenger/content/folderPane.js:503"
>>>
>>> I have been unable to determine what either one is, what is causing it or
>>> how to fix it, even looking for it with Google. It also tends to lock up
>>> my system for a period from seconds to minutes, during which nothing
>>> works. Then it will "unfreeze" until the next time, which might be ten
>>> minutes or the next day.
>>>
>>> What does the script do? What breaks it to cause the warning? How can I
>>> get rid of it or stop the break?
>>>
>>> I do not, have never used "messenger" or "chat", if this is coming
>>> from that.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>>

>> First of all, TB has not supported running of external scripts since
>> TB3.  These are scripts used internally to run functions of the program.
>> The first error is one effecting the toolbar region of the GUI.  The
>> second effects layout of the folderpane.
>>
>> If you can determine a way these errors are reproducible it would aid a
>> Dev to trouble shoot and fix the cause. It may be a platform unique
>> issue, since your the first person I have seen raise this issue. There
>> may be a compressed archive reading problem.
>
> The most common cause of Unresponsive Script is not a script problem per se, but rather some general
> performance problem not related to the script - something in excess of 50%.  In other words, the
> script is the victim of someone else's deeds.
>
> So unless you have very specific steps that reproduce the problem (deleting messages for example)
> and always point to the same script, then the first order of business is to determine if the cause
> may be an addon, or some other program, which is where
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing:Memory_Usage_Problems can help.

Thanks. I'll see what I can find there.

--
Dave
"Tam multi libri, tam breve tempus!"
(Et brevis pecunia.) [Et breve spatium.]
0
David
1/26/2015 9:11:36 PM
On Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 11:24:03 PM UTC, Ron K. wrote:
> David C. Kifer wrote on 1/24/2015 2:04 PM:
> > I'm using TB 31.4.0 in Win XP.
> >
> > For some time I've been seeing this message pop-up frequently:
> >
> > "Unresponsive Script
> > A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You
> > can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will
> > complete.
> >
> > Script: chrome://messenger/content/toolbarIconColor.js:55"
> >
> > with a choice of "continue" or "stop".
> >
> > Another one that appears not quite so often is:
> >
> > "Script: chrome://messenger/content/folderPane.js:503"
> >
> > I have been unable to determine what either one is, what is causing it or
> > how to fix it, even looking for it with Google. It also tends to lock up
> > my system for a period from seconds to minutes, during which nothing
> > works. Then it will "unfreeze" until the next time, which might be ten
> > minutes or the next day.
> >
> > What does the script do? What breaks it to cause the warning? How can I
> > get rid of it or stop the break?
> >
> > I do not, have never used "messenger" or "chat", if this is coming from that.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Thanks.
> >

> First of all, TB has not supported running of external scripts since TB3.
>   These are scripts used internally to run functions of the program. The
> first error is one effecting the toolbar region of the GUI.  The second
> effects layout of the folderpane.
>
> If you can determine a way these errors are reproducible it would aid a
> Dev to trouble shoot and fix the cause. It may be a platform unique issue,
> since your the first person I have seen raise this issue. There may be a
> compressed archive reading problem.
>
> --
> Ron K.
> Who is General Failure, and why is he searching my HDD?
> Kernel Restore reported Major Error used BSOD to msg the enemy!

I get this error message as well. Using TB 31.7.0 with Vista and SP2
Script: chrome://messenger/content/toolbarIconColor.js:55
It locks up everything for minutes at a time.
1
andymccsma

PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS.
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS. Comments: Does Google's Chrome browser block out Firefox? Am having a lot of trouble getting Firefox to run after I run Chrome. No trouble what-so- ever before running Chrome. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.1.249.1064 Safari/532.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see ...

Problems Problems Problems
So, I have OpenSUSE installed on my laptop and everything is working well, except the wireless. It almost seems that every time I run a KDE distro I can not get the internet to work. I've run YaST and used iwconfig. nothing is working for me. Please help -ZAD -- zadnik18 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ someone is going to tell you to supply some more information 'My wireless doesn't work - a primer on what I should do next - openSUSE Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/6peanc) this is one of the stick...

IE problem or my script problem
Hi everyone, I am facing a strange problem, let me explain the problem and list two different platform i found on some of the client pcs. Problem :- First time login in to my application page is ok, but if click logout, it wouldnt bring back to login page, it just stay as it is. But if you click on one of the link, it push back to login page. So for second time to login, no matter how many time you try, it would not able to login. And i found out if i clear those IE's cookies and offline file, i can login again. Clients 1) Window2000, IE 6 2) WindowXP, IE 6 And th...

Problems, problems, problems
Name: Hans Halvorsen Email: capricorn_at_online.no Product: Thunderbird Summary: Problems, problems, problems Comments: Hi, I downloaded Thunderbird some time ago, and I was over-satisfied whit it and how well it worked. In fact it worked 100% PERFECTLY UNTIL I got an newer update version of it. Since then I' ve had nothing BUT trouble! I've checked adresses, notes, password, deleted accounts and made new one's, checked sign-ins and sign-outs, passwords inside and out, upside and down, so many times that my frustration now is about to turn into pure and major ...

Problems, problems, problems
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Problems, problems, problems Comments: I use FF all the time for work - I'm a software tester - the add-ons are invaluable. But v3.5 really has been a disappointment. It just keeps hanging all the time. And when Internet Explorer windows pop up, FF often just dies. It can't even restart itself - I have to manually kill the process every time; every update, every add-on that updates, "restart" fails - it's so frustrating. I hope v3.6 will be addressing this - PLEASE! Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7....

Thunderbird problem
Name: Bruce Bronson Email: brbronsonatcomcastdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Thunderbird problem - Help problem Comments: 1. Thunderbird displays one of my mail groups using added information such as "two weeks aga". This causes more steps in reading mail. How this got turned on for the one group is beyond my comprehension. How do I turn it off? 2. In trying to get information on this, This is the only means that I could find. I am sure you are going to say "Oh, all you have to do is ...." Which is fine if you are an expert. I happen to be a soft...

Problems problems and problems.
Name: A.A. Product: Firefox Summary: Problems problems and problems. Comments: I am not specific, but in short I can not use This site to listen music anymore, while I can in IE explorer. Just to let you guys know, new version messed something up. http://hypem.com/ Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Powerser or user script post script problem
Is that only windows administrator account can run post script on ZFD 4 application windows Poweruser and user got problem on cannot get needed resources id-8 script exclution error , when try to run an launch script on NAL ! Did anyone have an idea of that ! THX !!!!! Any chance the users do not have full access to the TEMP directory? The script file gets generated there. -- Craig Wilson Novell Product Support Forum Sysop Master CNE, MCSE 2003, CCNA Editor - http://www.ithowto.com (Seeking Full-Time Expert? Drop me a note :> ) <keithwan@rthk.org.hk>...

SSIS Script task design script problem
Hi,  I have placed a script task in my SSIS project, package.When I click Design Script button, script editor is not opening, instead its returning to Control Flow. But no error. What is the problem?I just created a new folder in D:\ drive with the name My SSIS.    Hi, Do you design a script from the Visual Studio IDE standalone? This issue seems to be fixed in SP1, please refer to the link below for more information:   http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=126327Jian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remem...

Problems running PowerShell scripts in scripting driver
Hi I have a scripting driver (IDM v3.6.1, Driver v3.6.0) that's been setup to run powershell scripts, it used to work OK but was very slow so I upgraded the driver to v3.6.1.5, however it then started erroring. So I decided the speed issue didn't matter and downgraded by totally uninstalling and re-installing the driver shim, I then restored the driver from a previous backup. Now it won't work as the shim communicates with the IDM servers OK but it seems unable to call the Powershell commands. I've posted the log file fromn the Win server so you can see what I m...

A problem when I use script manager, script manager proxy
I have an default.aspx and 3 link in that page. When I click to one of these links I want to load a usercontrol( ex: control1.ascx ) and in this user control I also use ajax in this control. Other Developer said that I must use a master page and declare a script manager in this page. In usercontrol I just need to use scriptmanagerproxy... But I don't know exactly what I have to do. Can you help me. Thanks all of you a lot. manhtuan Hi hamanhtuan, Well the scriptmanagerproxy is an extended version of the scriptmanager. In your situation i think you can fix it with just a scr...

Problems with java script after adding Script Manager tag to the page

problems,problems
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: problems,problems Comments: I once loved Firefox, lately it just plain sucks, the latest version 3.6 something will no longer me to listen to MLB.com or Glenn Beck. It is also way slower (even with W7 and new machine). It always seems to be downloading updates and wasting my time. Guess I'll see how Google Chrome works! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.11) Gecko/20100701 Firefox/3.5.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a ...

script problem
Name: Robert Scheer Email: bobscheeratyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: script problem Comments: A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete. Script: http://reviews.cnet.com/convertible/2008-porsche-911-carrera/4505-10870_7-32915295.html?tag=cnetfd.mt:31 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008032620 Firefox/3.0b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Web resources about - Script Problem - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Why there is no problem with Essendon recruiting Ryan Crowley
Let us test the case against Essendon recruiting Ryan Crowley, for suspect arguments.

Apple admits iPhone 6s battery problem, suggests solution
Apple has confirmed a bug that means iPhone 6s and 6s Plus battery indicators aren't accurate.

Cisco Joins Global Problem Solvers at 2016 World Economic Forum Annual Meeting
3BL Media (press release) Cisco Joins Global Problem Solvers at 2016 World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 3BL Media (press release) ....@CiscoCSR ...

Bernanke: Don't Worry, China's $28 Trillion Debt is an "Internal Problem"
$28 Trillion "Internal Problem" The blue ribbon award for ridiculous comment of the day goes to Ben Bernanke who dismissed China's $28 trillion ...

Whoopi Threatens to Leave U.S. Over Trump: ‘You Can’t Blame Immigrants’ for Country’s Problems
Whoopi Threatens to Leave U.S. Over Trump: 'You Can't Blame Immigrants' for Country's Problems

Idris Elba nailed Hollywood's diversity problem
"Beasts of No Nation" star Idris Elba recently addressed British Parliament about diversity issues in the TV and movie industry. He called out ...

IDG Contributor Network: The machine learning problem of the next decade
A few months ago, my company, CrowdFlower, ran a machine learning competition on Kaggle . It perfectly highlighted the biggest opportunity (and ...

How I quickly fixed a weird Siri Remote problem
I’ve been suffering with this strange issue for about a week: my Apple TV’s Siri Remote’s Menu button stopped working. All the other buttons–Home, ...