Read news articles appear as not-read?

In all subscribed groups the articles that I have read in a Tbird 
session appear as they should 'as read', ie in a faded text. Unread 
articles are shown in bold. However the next day or so when I go back to 
the same group the messages that I have read the previous day(s) are 
again shown in bold as if I hadn't read them?

I am sure there is a global setting but nor sure which one I need to 
set. I don't want the articles to be deleted just to show that they have 
been read.

Thanks,
John
0
john
4/25/2011 10:31:56 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22506 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
638 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 28

On 26/04/11 00:31, john wrote:
> In all subscribed groups the articles that I have read in a Tbird
> session appear as they should 'as read', ie in a faded text. Unread
> articles are shown in bold. However the next day or so when I go back to
> the same group the messages that I have read the previous day(s) are
> again shown in bold as if I hadn't read them?
>
> I am sure there is a global setting but nor sure which one I need to
> set. I don't want the articles to be deleted just to show that they have
> been read.
>
> Thanks,
> John

If there is a global setting, or maybe a specific account-dependent 
setting, it's probably important enough to be a "visible" one, i.e., 
with a checkbox, radiobutton or input box somewhere under (on Linux) 
either Edit → Preferences (not including the Config Editor), or Edit → 
Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings (or whatever it is called on your 
version of Thunderbird). (But I could be mistaken.)

So I'd recommend to go through all those menus and submenus, looking for 
anything which might be relevant, and, in case of doubt, experimenting 
with the various possible settings.


Best regards,
Tony.
-- 
A large number of installed systems work by fiat.  That is, they work
by being declared to work.
		-- Anatol Holt
0
Tony
4/25/2011 10:41:35 PM
On 04/25/2011 03:41 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On 26/04/11 00:31, john wrote:
>> In all subscribed groups the articles that I have read in a Tbird
>> session appear as they should 'as read', ie in a faded text. Unread
>> articles are shown in bold. However the next day or so when I go back to
>> the same group the messages that I have read the previous day(s) are
>> again shown in bold as if I hadn't read them?
>>
>> I am sure there is a global setting but nor sure which one I need to
>> set. I don't want the articles to be deleted just to show that they have
>> been read.

> If there is a global setting, or maybe a specific account-dependent
> setting, it's probably important enough to be a "visible" one, i.e.,
> with a checkbox, radiobutton or input box somewhere under (on Linux)
> either Edit → Preferences (not including the Config Editor), or Edit →
> Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings (or whatever it is called on your
> version of Thunderbird). (But I could be mistaken.)
>
> So I'd recommend to go through all those menus and submenus, looking for
> anything which might be relevant, and, in case of doubt, experimenting
> with the various possible settings.
>
I have a very similar problem - happens with threads, though, not the 
whole group.  I haven't been able to figure out what triggers it yet but 
it threads I've replied to and it isn't consistent AFAICT.
So, I'll be rooting you on, John, in your quest.
1 thing you may want to do is repair the folder (rt clk group, 
Properties>Repair folder box).  That seems to keep the wolves away from 
the door for a while, but they always seem to come back...
0
goodwin
4/26/2011 12:46:59 AM
On 04/25/2011 06:31 PM, john wrote:
> In all subscribed groups the articles that I have read in a Tbird
> session appear as they should 'as read', ie in a faded text. Unread
> articles are shown in bold. However the next day or so when I go back to
> the same group the messages that I have read the previous day(s) are
> again shown in bold as if I hadn't read them?
>
> I am sure there is a global setting but nor sure which one I need to
> set. I don't want the articles to be deleted just to show that they have
> been read.
>
> Thanks,
> John


It happened with this message and the one reply that I saw almost 
immediately after I posted it. Not only that but I marked the message as 
'important' so that it would stand out in red when I checked back today, 
well it was no longer marked as important and showed up in bold black as 
all the other messages, ie unread?


Beats me?

John
0
john
4/27/2011 9:52:04 PM
On 04/25/2011 08:46 PM, goodwin wrote:
> On 04/25/2011 03:41 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>> On 26/04/11 00:31, john wrote:
>>> In all subscribed groups the articles that I have read in a Tbird
>>> session appear as they should 'as read', ie in a faded text. Unread
>>> articles are shown in bold. However the next day or so when I go back to
>>> the same group the messages that I have read the previous day(s) are
>>> again shown in bold as if I hadn't read them?
>>>
>>> I am sure there is a global setting but nor sure which one I need to
>>> set. I don't want the articles to be deleted just to show that they have
>>> been read.
>
>> If there is a global setting, or maybe a specific account-dependent
>> setting, it's probably important enough to be a "visible" one, i.e.,
>> with a checkbox, radiobutton or input box somewhere under (on Linux)
>> either Edit → Preferences (not including the Config Editor), or Edit →
>> Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings (or whatever it is called on your
>> version of Thunderbird). (But I could be mistaken.)
>>
>> So I'd recommend to go through all those menus and submenus, looking for
>> anything which might be relevant, and, in case of doubt, experimenting
>> with the various possible settings.
>>
> I have a very similar problem - happens with threads, though, not the
> whole group. I haven't been able to figure out what triggers it yet but
> it threads I've replied to and it isn't consistent AFAICT.
> So, I'll be rooting you on, John, in your quest.
> 1 thing you may want to do is repair the folder (rt clk group,
> Properties>Repair folder box). That seems to keep the wolves away from
> the door for a while, but they always seem to come back...


Well that almost fixed the problem. This one appears as read (light 
text) after repairing the folder but its no longer marked in red 
(important) which I re-did just before I did the repair.

I was using SeaMonkey in Windows and never had this problem. I have had 
corrupted folders before but they basically turned into garbage and 
needed deleted and then rebuilt.

Strange stuff :(

John
0
john
4/27/2011 9:59:33 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

superreview granted: [Bug 302188] Support :read-only and :read-write pseudoclasses : [Attachment 199534] Patch that implements :-moz-read-only and :-moz-read-write
Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> has granted Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>'s request for superreview: Bug 302188: Support :read-only and :read-write pseudoclasses https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=302188 Attachment 199534: Patch that implements :-moz-read-only and :-moz-read-write https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=199534&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> Yeah, ok. If even this would help XForms, let's do it. We just need to make it clear that pages SHOULD NOT use these styles, sin...

I was reading a news article and...
Name: Jeff Cochran Email: jeffcatspeakeasydotnet Product: Firefox Summary: I was reading a news article and... Comments: ....first a minor distraction when a bubble popped up by my task bar, then a major distraction as a dialog box popped up over the content I was reading both advertising a new version of Firefox. If you don't stop this crap I'll switch to chrome or something. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.2) Gecko/20100316 Firefox/3.6.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix...

datareader.read() reading more then once?
why i'm unable to read the reader more then once? here is the my datareader: first time reading: while (reader.Read()) { if (usePaging) { //Get to the start of the page if (rowIndex < startRowIndex) { rowIndex++; continue; } //Break out of the loop if end of the page if (rowIndex >= endRowIndex) break; } } second time using the same datareader to count number of reco...

How to mark read email and read only read mail from pop3
I have to algorithm that reads and deletes from the server emails. I need to modify it to not read email that is all ready read and mark the mail read as read. Thanks in advance Donald S. Bossen Cnt := CheckMessages; FldNoOrder.Text := IntToStr(Cnt); for x := 1 to Cnt do begin try FldOfOrd.Text := IntToStr(x); Msg.Clear; if IdPop.Retrieve(x,Msg) then begin ExtractOrderMessage(x); // ...

hide read news articles
How to hide read news articles from view?? Laurie Laurie wrote: > How to hide read news articles from view?? > > Laurie Click on view/thread/unread. -- Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net ...

Make Gmail Mail Appear as Read after being Read in TB3
Dear all, do you know any way that my Gmail mail shows as read on http://mail.google.com once I have read them in TB3? At the moment I always need to mark them as read manually on the website. Regards, Pavlos This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156) --------------enig76FBB27025B06708C3B21EB2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable On Monday 14 December 2009 03:34 PM, Pavlos C. Symeou wrote: > Dear all, >=20 > do you know any way that my Gmail mail shows as read on > http://mail.google.com once I ha...

come on SQLdatareader....read....read....read...ok help.
OK, I'm using VS2003 and I'm having trouble. The page works perfectly when I created it with WebMatrix but I want to learn more about creating code behind pages and this page doesn't work. I think it has some things to do with Query builder but I can't seem to get change outside "please register". I have the table populated and it is not coming back with "login successful" or "password wrong" when I've entered correct information. Enclosed is what I've done in VS2003. Can you see where my error is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. ...

Read/not read behavior
I'm trying to figure out some behaviors in TB 2 as I learn to use it. 1. I've noticed that sometimes when I read a message, it is marked as read (goes from red to black), but sometimes that does not happen. I've attached an example show that the lowest header, which has been read and the text downloaded remains in red, while other read messages are correctly marked as read. If I manually mark that lowest message as "read", it correctly turns to black, but not when I just actually read it like others do. Is this normal? How to correct it? -- Jeff@notaol.com ...

Thunderbird switching focus while reading news
Hello all, I've noticed something quite annoying in Thunderbird/win32 0.7.2. Normally I have the keyboadr focus set to the article pane so i can just hit the space bar to scroll down and then to the next unread message. However, if you have "View" set to "Unread", after about 25 seconds teh keyboard focus flips up to the "Subject or Sender contains" bar. Quite annoying, since the caret does snot appear in the article pane so I can't really know that the focus has switched, I just press the space bar to continue along. But with the focus n...

Thunderbird: 2 news reading questions
Hi, is there a way to display all newsgroups expanded in the 'subscribe' window, without the annoying + box in the left? Also, is there a way for TB to display the newsgroups description, when it's available? Thanks messagy wrote: > Hi, is there a way to display all newsgroups expanded in the 'subscribe' > window, without the annoying + box in the left? I haven't found a way to expand all hierarchies by default, but you can expand them by typing a commonly used letter into the search box. For example, type "e" in the search box, ...

Displaying the most read news article for the month
Hi all, I'm creating a news site, where I would like to include a boxout in the right hand column of the most read articles for the month.Has anyone any good bookmarks/tutorials on how I can achieve this? Thanks in advance, Chris Hello jacksonsc56, just log how much each article was open and then show the list of articles sorted out by the number of open articles j> Hi all, j> j> I'm creating a news site, where I would like to include a boxout in j> the right hand column of the most read articles for the month. j> j> Has anyone any good boo...

Reading news articles from home page.
Name: Robert Glasco Email: rlglascoatsuddenlinkdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Reading news articles from home page. Comments: 3.0 appears to be much faster, but there is one thing that really annoys me, in this and earlier releases. When reading headlines in a home page such as Yahoo when you open the article and then go back to the home page Firefox returns to the top of the home page rather than the position you were in when you clicked on the article. IE in all recent versions returns you to the location you were in when you opened the article. Why can't Firefox ...

Newsgroup read articles still won't stay read.
TB 3.1.10 Has this problem been addressed yet? Rebuilding the data base doesn't work. Deleting the group and re-subscribing doesn't work. Stuff I read yesterday shows up un-read today? It affects all groups and is random. Some articles stay marked as read but most don't. Any ideas? John On 26/05/11 09:44, john wrote: > TB 3.1.10 > > Has this problem been addressed yet? > > Rebuilding the data base doesn't work. Deleting the group and > re-subscribing doesn't work. > > Stuff I read yesterday shows up un-read today? It ...

Transaction read only, read commited
Hello, i'm trying to set to the ADODbxConnection the transaction to ReadOnly, because a webservice serves a los of querys that only read the database, and i want that transactions to not impact in the performance. I have read in Craig Stuntz blog "Understanding Transaction Lifetimes", that if i use readonly,read commited, no snapshot is generated. Could this be done with this components? Regards, Jesus. Jesus Garcia wrote: > i'm trying to set to the ADODbxConnection the transaction > to ReadOnly, What do you mean by "ADODbxConnection"? Is...

Web resources about - Read news articles appear as not-read? - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Do Not Read: Mouth Sounds, Alaska As It Used to Was
Since summer is almost here, Jimmy shares some books you probably should avoid beach reading, including "Lobsters: Gangsters of the Sea." Subscribe ...

Yet another defence review. Why not read the others?
Defence was warned repeatedly against shedding technical staff, yet that is what it is doing.

PSA: Do Not Read While Eating…
... called Bredeney that has been linked to a brand of peanut butter sold at Trader Joe’s. I’d been vaguely aware of the outbreak, but I’d noticed ...

Apple: We cannot and will not read your iMessages
... a statement on Friday claiming in no uncertain terms that the group is flat-out wrong. "iMessage is not architected to allow Apple to read messages," ...

Andrew Sullivan misunderstands why I did not read his "Why Are Obama's Critics So Dumb?" article.
... that Newsweek framed for the purpose of getting people to buy the magazine. Inside was Sullivan's article, which I did not have time to read. ...

Larwyn's Linx: Do not read this post, by order of King Barry the First
Send us tips ! Bloggers: install a Larwyn's Linx widget . Get real-time news, 24/7, at BadBlue . Nation Do not read this post, by order of ...

'No.' Hoyer Admits He Did Not Read 1,648-Page Defense Bill
By: Lauretta Brown Hoyer Did Not Read Defense Authorization Bill House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D.-Md.

Chris Christie did not read memo blasting David Wildstein, report says
... familiar with the matter, a report by Politico.com today claims that aides never ran the memo by Christie and that the governor didn't read ...

Apple: We cannot and will not read your iMessages
Apple is denying the allegations of security researchers

Boston Marathon bombings suspect captured, but not read Miranda rights
The surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing remained hospitalized with serious injuries this morning as the hunt for answers goes full ...

Resources last updated: 11/27/2015 5:55:58 PM