Posts displaying a blank page

I don’t believe this has ever happened before. It just started fairly
recently, and I believe after  52.2.0 was installed. It started
happening infrequently, but now it’s happening daily.

One post will not open. It’s just a blank page. However, the tab opens
normally indicating the subject of the post, but the page is blank. If I
try to open the post using previous or next, the tab opens normally
indicating the subject matter of the post, however, the From: Subject:
and Newsgroup: lines show either the previous or next post , depending
on where I was coming from ( while still displaying a blank page).  If I
open any other post (not via previous or next), and then try to open the
non-opening post, the same thing happens as with the previous or next
scenario. This behavior will usually last a day or two, and then it will
finally open normally. It is somewhat frustrating, especially now with
the increased frequency.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Steve Mc
DNA to SBC to respond

On 2017-06-16 09:15, Steve Mc wrote:
> I don=E2=80=99t believe this has ever happened before. It just started =
fairly
> recently, and I believe after  52.2.0 was installed. It started
> happening infrequently, but now it=E2=80=99s happening daily.
>
> One post will not open. It=E2=80=99s just a blank page. However, the ta=
b opens
> normally indicating the subject of the post, but the page is blank. If =
> try to open the post using previous or next, the tab opens normally
> indicating the subject matter of the post, however, the From: Subject:
> and Newsgroup: lines show either the previous or next post , depending
> on where I was coming from ( while still displaying a blank page).  If =
> open any other post (not via previous or next), and then try to open th=
> non-opening post, the same thing happens as with the previous or next
> scenario. This behavior will usually last a day or two, and then it wil=
> finally open normally. It is somewhat frustrating, especially now with
> the increased frequency.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Sounds like a corrupted *.msf (index) file to me. Do you Delete old=20
posts from the newsgroup? Try that, followed by Repair Folder (right=20
click on newsgroup name -> Properties -> Repair Folder). Then restart=20
Thunderbird.

--=20
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"No keyboard present. Press F1 to continue."

0
Wolf
6/16/2017 3:00:15 PM
On 6/16/2017 8:00 AM, Wolf K. wrote:
> On 2017-06-16 09:15, Steve Mc wrote:
>> I don’t believe this has ever happened before. It just started fairly
>> recently, and I believe after  52.2.0 was installed. It started
>> happening infrequently, but now it’s happening daily.
>>
>> One post will not open. It’s just a blank page. However, the tab opens
>> normally indicating the subject of the post, but the page is blank. If I
>> try to open the post using previous or next, the tab opens normally
>> indicating the subject matter of the post, however, the From: Subject:
>> and Newsgroup: lines show either the previous or next post , depending
>> on where I was coming from ( while still displaying a blank page).  If I
>> open any other post (not via previous or next), and then try to open the
>> non-opening post, the same thing happens as with the previous or next
>> scenario. This behavior will usually last a day or two, and then it will
>> finally open normally. It is somewhat frustrating, especially now with
>> the increased frequency.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Sounds like a corrupted *.msf (index) file to me. Do you Delete old
> posts from the newsgroup? Try that, followed by Repair Folder (right
> click on newsgroup name -> Properties -> Repair Folder). Then restart
> Thunderbird.

Thanks for the tip.

That seemed to fix it. It hasn't happened in over 4 days.

Thanks again,

--
Steve Mc
DNA to SBC to respond
On 6/20/2017 12:14 PM, Steve Mc wrote:
> On 6/16/2017 8:00 AM, Wolf K. wrote:
>> On 2017-06-16 09:15, Steve Mc wrote:
>>> I don’t believe this has ever happened before. It just started fairly
>>> recently, and I believe after  52.2.0 was installed. It started
>>> happening infrequently, but now it’s happening daily.
>>>
>>> One post will not open. It’s just a blank page. However, the tab opens
>>> normally indicating the subject of the post, but the page is blank. If I
>>> try to open the post using previous or next, the tab opens normally
>>> indicating the subject matter of the post, however, the From: Subject:
>>> and Newsgroup: lines show either the previous or next post , depending
>>> on where I was coming from ( while still displaying a blank page).  If I
>>> open any other post (not via previous or next), and then try to open the
>>> non-opening post, the same thing happens as with the previous or next
>>> scenario. This behavior will usually last a day or two, and then it will
>>> finally open normally. It is somewhat frustrating, especially now with
>>> the increased frequency.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sounds like a corrupted *.msf (index) file to me. Do you Delete old
>> posts from the newsgroup? Try that, followed by Repair Folder (right
>> click on newsgroup name -> Properties -> Repair Folder). Then restart
>> Thunderbird.
>>

> Thanks for the tip.
>
> That seemed to fix it. It hasn't happened in over 4 days.
>
> Thanks again,

Spoke too soon.

It started happening again.

--
Steve Mc
DNA to SBC to respond
On 6/28/2017 8:51 AM, Steve Mc wrote:
> On 6/20/2017 12:14 PM, Steve Mc wrote:

>>> Sounds like a corrupted *.msf (index) file to me. Do you Delete old
>>> posts from the newsgroup? Try that, followed by Repair Folder (right
>>> click on newsgroup name -> Properties -> Repair Folder). Then restart
>>> Thunderbird.
>>>

>> Thanks for the tip.
>>
>> That seemed to fix it. It hasn't happened in over 4 days.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>

> Spoke too soon.
>
> It started happening again.

If you mean newsgroup messages when you wrote "posts", I see this
frequently; and I have been seeing this for quite some time.  It appears
to be relasted to delays in how Thunderbird initializes the messages.
If I close (collapse) the account and open (expand) a different account
and then later return to the account with the problem, the problem
usually seems resolved.

If I am patient and do not attempt to open the message immediately upon
seeing it appear in the Thread Pane, I usually do not have this problem.

--
David Ross

<http://www.rossde.com/>
President Trump now denies there are any tapes that
recorded his conversations with ex-FBI Director Comey.
Between when Trump hinted there might be such tapes
and his denial, there was sufficient time to destroy
any tapes.
0
David
6/28/2017 11:19:53 PM
On 6/28/2017 4:19 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 6/28/2017 8:51 AM, Steve Mc wrote:

>>> Thanks for the tip.
>>>
>>> That seemed to fix it. It hasn't happened in over 4 days.
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>>

>> Spoke too soon.
>>
>> It started happening again.
>>

> If you mean newsgroup messages when you wrote "posts", I see this
> frequently; and I have been seeing this for quite some time.  It appears
> to be relasted to delays in how Thunderbird initializes the messages.
> If I close (collapse) the account and open (expand) a different account
> and then later return to the account with the problem, the problem
> usually seems resolved.
>
> If I am patient and do not attempt to open the message immediately upon
> seeing it appear in the Thread Pane, I usually do not have this problem.

Yes, I did mean newsgroup messages. I'll try the collapsing technique.
And yes, they do seem to eventually be available. Sometimes later in the
day, or even sometimes in a day or 2.

Thanks,

--
Steve Mc
DNA to SBC to respond
On 6/28/2017 4:19 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 6/28/2017 8:51 AM, Steve Mc wrote:

>>> Thanks for the tip.
>>>
>>> That seemed to fix it. It hasn't happened in over 4 days.
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>>

>> Spoke too soon.
>>
>> It started happening again.
>>

> If you mean newsgroup messages when you wrote "posts", I see this
> frequently; and I have been seeing this for quite some time.  It appears
> to be relasted to delays in how Thunderbird initializes the messages.
> If I close (collapse) the account and open (expand) a different account
> and then later return to the account with the problem, the problem
> usually seems resolved.
>
> If I am patient and do not attempt to open the message immediately upon
> seeing it appear in the Thread Pane, I usually do not have this problem.

I forgot to mention seeing this problem with E-mail.  I get E-mail
messages that appear blank.  This always involves HTML-formatted
messages and appears to be caused by malformed HTML.  When I view the
message source, the message is incomplete.  This might be the result of
some strange character within the message that stops the downloading of
Internet packets.