POP3 Yahoo account won't let me leave mail on server

I have this strange problem where one of my email accounts won't let me
leave mail on the server. I'm fetching it via POP3 using TB 52.4.0 on a Mac.

I say strange because this is a Yahoo account, which I have two of, and
I would expect both accounts to have the same issues at the same time
(as they both have the same settings in TB), but that's not the case.
This problem keeps coming up from time to time, and I haven't quite been
able to determine what makes it go away although I have disabled, then
enabled the "Leave messages on server" feature in the account settings
in between checking mail. I've also checked my mail via Yahoo's webmail,
hoping this would somehow "reset" everything, and finally after fetching
mail to TB (with "leave messages on server" turned OFF) I'd delete
everything from the webmail interface.
I can't recall if the problem has just affected one of my Yahoo mail
accounts or both for time to time.

Here's the exact error message TB is giving me ("xxxxxxxx" below
replaces the actual account name):

Error with account xxxxxxxxx

The POP3 mail server (pop.mail.yahoo.com) does not support UIDL or XTND
XLST, which are required to implement the ``Leave on Server'', ``Maximum
Message Size'' or ``Fetch Headers Only'' options. To download your mail,
turn off these options in the Server Settings for your mail server in
the Account Settings window.

--
T.
0

--------------4B4351E4AB6C8DD3DBB03722

On 09/10/2017 23:25, Tiger wrote:
> I have this strange problem where one of my email accounts won't let
> me leave mail on the server. I'm fetching it via POP3 using TB 52.4.0
> on a Mac.
>
> I say strange because this is a Yahoo account, which I have two of,
> and I would expect both accounts to have the same issues at the same
> time (as they both have the same settings in TB), but that's not the
> case.
> This problem keeps coming up from time to time, and I haven't quite
> been able to determine what makes it go away although I have disabled,
> then enabled the "Leave messages on server" feature in the account
> settings in between checking mail. I've also checked my mail via
> Yahoo's webmail, hoping this would somehow "reset" everything, and
> finally after fetching mail to TB (with "leave messages on server"
> turned OFF) I'd delete everything from the webmail interface.
> I can't recall if the problem has just affected one of my Yahoo mail
> accounts or both for time to time.
>
> Here's the exact error message TB is giving me ("xxxxxxxx" below
> replaces the actual account name):
>
> Error with account xxxxxxxxx
>
> The POP3 mail server (pop.mail.yahoo.com) does not support UIDL or
> XTND XLST, which are required to implement the ``Leave on Server'',
> ``Maximum Message Size'' or ``Fetch Headers Only'' options. To
> download your mail, turn off these options in the Server Settings for
> your mail server in the Account Settings window.

Please use IMAP and by default the messages are left on the server. You
can then login to your web-based account and delete whatever you don't
need.  Yahoo has unlimited storage (or perhaps 1TB storage) so the best
thing is to use IMAP and leave the messages on the server for as long as
possible.

GMAIL and Outlook have limited storage space.

This pop3 problems seems to come up regularly.  See this old post:

<https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100219165859AAqqv8E>

Good luck and hope this helps.

--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

--------------4B4351E4AB6C8DD3DBB03722

  <head>
  </head>
cite="mid:mailman.1144.1507587946.16833.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">I
[...]
    for as long as possible.<br>
    GMAIL and Outlook have limited storage space.<br>
    This pop3 problems seems to come up regularly.  See this old post:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100219165859AAqqv8E">&lt;https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100219165859AAqqv8E&gt;</a><br>
    Good luck and hope this helps.<br>
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 500 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>

--------------4B4351E4AB6C8DD3DBB03722--
0
Good
10/10/2017 8:37:43 PM
On 10/10/17 22:37, Good Guy wrote:
> On 09/10/2017 23:25, Tiger wrote:

>> Here's the exact error message TB is giving me ("xxxxxxxx" below
>> replaces the actual account name):
>>
>> Error with account xxxxxxxxx
>>
>> The POP3 mail server (pop.mail.yahoo.com) does not support UIDL or
>> XTND XLST, which are required to implement the ``Leave on Server'',
>> ``Maximum Message Size'' or ``Fetch Headers Only'' options. To
>> download your mail, turn off these options in the Server Settings for
>> your mail server in the Account Settings window.
>>

> Please use IMAP and by default the messages are left on the server. You
> can then login to your web-based account and delete whatever you don't
> need.  Yahoo has unlimited storage (or perhaps 1TB storage) so the best
> thing is to use IMAP and leave the messages on the server for as long as
> possible.

I read the link you gave me which shows I'm not alone in having these
problems, but it also said that Yahoo doesn't have IMAP support. Has
that changed since then?

I've never used IMAP before and understand it's basically a way to read
mail from the server every time instead of downloading it. I would like
to download and keep my messages offline, and also don't like the idea
of having all my messages kept indefinitely at the Yahoo server.

I've got TB set up to delete downloaded messages after 2 weeks. That way
I can check my mail on my phone or laptop while travelling etc. Those
devices are set up to never delete any messages, so regardless of how
long I'm away I will always get to download all email to my computer at
home.

If IMAP does work with Yahoo and that's the solution to this problem,
can it be set up to work in much the same way as just described. Do I
just change the current TB email account settings, or disable my current
POP account and create a brand new IMAP account?

--
T.
0

On 12/10/2017 11:25, Tiger wrote:
> On 10/10/17 22:37, Good Guy wrote:
>> On 09/10/2017 23:25, Tiger wrote:
>
>>> Here's the exact error message TB is giving me ("xxxxxxxx" below
>>> replaces the actual account name):
>>>
>>> Error with account xxxxxxxxx
>>>
>>> The POP3 mail server (pop.mail.yahoo.com) does not support UIDL or
>>> XTND XLST, which are required to implement the ``Leave on Server'',
>>> ``Maximum Message Size'' or ``Fetch Headers Only'' options. To
>>> download your mail, turn off these options in the Server Settings
>>> for your mail server in the Account Settings window.
>>>

>> Please use IMAP and by default the messages are left on the server.
>> You can then login to your web-based account and delete whatever you
>> don't need.  Yahoo has unlimited storage (or perhaps 1TB storage) so
>> the best thing is to use IMAP and leave the messages on the server
>> for as long as possible.
>
> I read the link you gave me which shows I'm not alone in having these
> problems, but it also said that Yahoo doesn't have IMAP support. Has
> that changed since then?
>
> I've never used IMAP before and understand it's basically a way to
> read mail from the server every time instead of downloading it. I
> would like to download and keep my messages offline, and also don't
> like the idea of having all my messages kept indefinitely at the Yahoo
> server.
>
> I've got TB set up to delete downloaded messages after 2 weeks. That
> way I can check my mail on my phone or laptop while travelling etc.
> Those devices are set up to never delete any messages, so regardless
> of how long I'm away I will always get to download all email to my
> computer at home.
>
> If IMAP does work with Yahoo and that's the solution to this problem,
> can it be set up to work in much the same way as just described. Do I
> just change the current TB email account settings, or disable my
> current POP account and create a brand new IMAP account?

Yahoo has been supporting IMAP since day 1 as far as I know.  My
settings are:

IMAP.mail.yahoo.com  port:993
Connectivity/Security: SSL/TLS
username: something@yahoo.com
Password: Normal password

However, TB will do it for you automatically.  You need to start/setup a
new account in TB and see if this works.

Good luck.

--

cite="mid:mailman.1227.1507803964.16833.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">On 10/10/17 22:37, Good Guy wrote:
[...]
    settings are:<br>
    IMAP.mail.yahoo.com  port:993<br>
    Connectivity/Security: SSL/TLS<br>
    username: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:something@yahoo.com">something@yahoo.com</a><br>
    Password: Normal password<br>
    However, TB will do it for you automatically.  You need to
    start/setup a new account in TB and see if this works.  <br>
    Good luck.<br>
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 500 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>

--------------090000000903080500000408--
0
Good
10/12/2017 4:38:27 PM
On 12/10/17 18:38, Good Guy wrote:

> Yahoo has been supporting IMAP since day 1 as far as I know.  My
> settings are:
>
> IMAP.mail.yahoo.com  port:993
> Connectivity/Security: SSL/TLS
> username: something@yahoo.com
> Password: Normal password

Sounds good!
Thanks.

> However, TB will do it for you automatically.  You need to start/setup a
> new account in TB and see if this works.
>
> Good luck.

Thanks :-)
My current POP3 Yahoo accounts have filters associated with them. How do
I transfer them all over to the new IMAP account without too much hassle?
What happens if I just go to the account settings and change from POP3
to IMAP? Will that mess things up?

Finally, with IMAP -is it possible to have mail automatically deleted
after a certain amount of days? I don't like the idea of (nor have the
need to) having all my messages stored indefinitely at Yahoo's mail-server.

--
T.
0