Plain Text E-Mails Wrap Poorly

This is something that has been bugging (or confusing) me for some time:

When someone (e.g., a buddy who uses Thunderbird 1.0.6, Linux) sends me
a plain text e-mail (that presumably has "Compose: wrap plain text at 72
characters" set) I see it as this (my message pane is *less* than 72 chars):

Note: Words 01 through 16 are *one* sentence.

+------------------------------------+
| Word01 word02 word03 word04 word05 |
| word06 word07 word08               |
| word09 word10 word11 word12 word13 |
| word14 word15 word16.              |
+------------------------------------+

Presumably words 08 and 16 are where the sender's e-mail program placed
a hard return (at 72 chars).

When I make the message pane narrower the *other* words will wrap to fit
the window (words 08 and 16 are always the end of a line, even if the
sentence continues after that word - non-desired hard return).

+------------------------+
| Word01 word02 word03   |
| word04 word05 word06   |
| word07 word08          |
| word09 word10 word11   |
| word12 word13 word14   |
| word15 word16.         |
+------------------------+

Why doesn't Thunderbird just wrap everything until it finds a "true"
hard return. Isn't that what format=flowed and the (created?) extra
<space> at the end of artificially hard-returned lines is for? :-\

+------------------------------------+
| Word01 word02 word03 word04 word05 |
| word06 word07 word08 word09 word10 |
| word11 word12 word13 word14 word15 |
| word16.                            |
+------------------------------------+

What disappoints me most is that Thunderbird seemingly can't even
communicate effectively with itself. :-(

Currently, reading plain text messages is cumbersome.

Is this a bug (number?), or am I misunderstanding something?

PS. This is a repost from netscape.mozilla.thunderbird since that
newsgroup will soon become very quit.
--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

Lame attempt to get rich: http://www.lairo.com/donations.html
0
Peter
1/10/2006 4:40:05 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 21967 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On 01/10/06 11:40, Peter Lairo wrote:
> This is something that has been bugging (or confusing) me for some time:
>
> When someone (e.g., a buddy who uses Thunderbird 1.0.6, Linux) sends me
> a plain text e-mail (that presumably has "Compose: wrap plain text at 72
> characters" set) I see it as this (my message pane is *less* than 72
> chars):
>
> Note: Words 01 through 16 are *one* sentence.
>
> +------------------------------------+
> | Word01 word02 word03 word04 word05 |
> | word06 word07 word08               |
> | word09 word10 word11 word12 word13 |
> | word14 word15 word16.              |
> +------------------------------------+
>
> Presumably words 08 and 16 are where the sender's e-mail program placed
> a hard return (at 72 chars).
>
> When I make the message pane narrower the *other* words will wrap to fit
> the window (words 08 and 16 are always the end of a line, even if the
> sentence continues after that word - non-desired hard return).
>
> +------------------------+
> | Word01 word02 word03   |
> | word04 word05 word06   |
> | word07 word08          |
> | word09 word10 word11   |
> | word12 word13 word14   |
> | word15 word16.         |
> +------------------------+
>
> Why doesn't Thunderbird just wrap everything until it finds a "true"
> hard return. Isn't that what format=flowed and the (created?) extra
> <space> at the end of artificially hard-returned lines is for? :-\
>
> +------------------------------------+
> | Word01 word02 word03 word04 word05 |
> | word06 word07 word08 word09 word10 |
> | word11 word12 word13 word14 word15 |
> | word16.                            |
> +------------------------------------+
>
> What disappoints me most is that Thunderbird seemingly can't even
> communicate effectively with itself. :-(
>
> Currently, reading plain text messages is cumbersome.
>
> Is this a bug (number?), or am I misunderstanding something?
>
> PS. This is a repost from netscape.mozilla.thunderbird since that
> newsgroup will soon become very quit.

Maybe you or he has format=flowed disabled? Him, most likely.

(A quick search in about:config brings up the
mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support and
mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed preferences. The former controls
displaying and the latter controls sending, according to my memory and
their names.)
--
Yay!
0
Matt Nordhoff wrote on 11.01.2006 11:14:
> On 01/10/06 11:40, Peter Lairo wrote:
>> This is something that has been bugging (or confusing) me for some time:
>>
>> When someone (e.g., a buddy who uses Thunderbird 1.0.6, Linux) sends me
>> a plain text e-mail (that presumably has "Compose: wrap plain text at
>> 72 characters" set) I see it as this (my message pane is *less* than
>> 72 chars):
>>
>> Note: Words 01 through 16 are *one* sentence.
>>
>> +------------------------------------+
>> | Word01 word02 word03 word04 word05 |
>> | word06 word07 word08               |
>> | word09 word10 word11 word12 word13 |
>> | word14 word15 word16.              |
>> +------------------------------------+
>>
>> Presumably words 08 and 16 are where the sender's e-mail program
>> placed a hard return (at 72 chars).
>>
>> When I make the message pane narrower the *other* words will wrap to
>> fit the window (words 08 and 16 are always the end of a line, even if
>> the sentence continues after that word - non-desired hard return).
>>
>> +------------------------+
>> | Word01 word02 word03   |
>> | word04 word05 word06   |
>> | word07 word08          |
>> | word09 word10 word11   |
>> | word12 word13 word14   |
>> | word15 word16.         |
>> +------------------------+
>>
>> Why doesn't Thunderbird just wrap everything until it finds a "true"
>> hard return. Isn't that what format=flowed and the (created?) extra
>> <space> at the end of artificially hard-returned lines is for? :-\
>>
>> +------------------------------------+
>> | Word01 word02 word03 word04 word05 |
>> | word06 word07 word08 word09 word10 |
>> | word11 word12 word13 word14 word15 |
>> | word16.                            |
>> +------------------------------------+
>>
>> What disappoints me most is that Thunderbird seemingly can't even
>> communicate effectively with itself. :-(
>>
>> Currently, reading plain text messages is cumbersome.
>>
>> Is this a bug (number?), or am I misunderstanding something?
>>
>> PS. This is a repost from netscape.mozilla.thunderbird since that
>> newsgroup will soon become very quit.
>
> Maybe you or he has format=flowed disabled? Him, most likely.
>
> (A quick search in about:config brings up the
> mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support and
> mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed preferences. The former controls
> displaying and the latter controls sending, according to my memory and
> their names.)

Thanks for the pointer. He uses Thunderbird on *Linux*, so f=f may be
off by default (which would be unfortunate IMHO).

He has Thunderbird 1.0.x, so there is no "Tools / Options / Advanced /
General/ Config Editor". I was also unable to find "flowed" in any of
the text files in my profile. Could you please tell me where he should look?

He could use the "AboutConfig" Extension
(http://aboutconfig.mozdev.org/), but he is *very* hesitant to install
any extensions (stability over flexibility). I'm hoping the is a
"text-based" way...

--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

Lame attempt to get rich: http://www.lairo.com/donations.html
0
Peter
1/11/2006 10:58:20 AM
Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 11:58:
> [...]
>>
>> Maybe you or he has format=flowed disabled? Him, most likely.
>>
>> (A quick search in about:config brings up the
>> mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support and
>> mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed preferences. The former controls
>> displaying and the latter controls sending, according to my memory and
>> their names.)
>
> Thanks for the pointer. He uses Thunderbird on *Linux*, so f=f may be
> off by default (which would be unfortunate IMHO).
>
> He has Thunderbird 1.0.x, so there is no "Tools / Options / Advanced /
> General/ Config Editor". I was also unable to find "flowed" in any of
> the text files in my profile. Could you please tell me where he should
> look?
>
> He could use the "AboutConfig" Extension
> (http://aboutconfig.mozdev.org/), but he is *very* hesitant to install
> any extensions (stability over flexibility). I'm hoping the is a

I just tested it with my *own* reply to your post by making the window
more narrow, and the lines of *my text* would incorrectly wrap as I
described in my original post. So it is not a problem with my or my
buddy's settings. That's not how it should be, is it? :-(

My settings are:
mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support = false
mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed preferences     = true
--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

Lame attempt to get rich: http://www.lairo.com/donations.html
0
Peter
1/11/2006 11:08:25 AM
On 01/11/06 05:58, Peter Lairo wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Maybe you or he has format=flowed disabled? Him, most likely.
>>
>> (A quick search in about:config brings up the
>> mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support and
>> mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed preferences. The former controls
>> displaying and the latter controls sending, according to my memory and
>> their names.)
>
> Thanks for the pointer. He uses Thunderbird on *Linux*, so f=f may be
> off by default (which would be unfortunate IMHO).
>
> He has Thunderbird 1.0.x, so there is no "Tools / Options / Advanced /
> General/ Config Editor". I was also unable to find "flowed" in any of
> the text files in my profile. Could you please tell me where he should
> look?
>
> He could use the "AboutConfig" Extension
> (http://aboutconfig.mozdev.org/), but he is *very* hesitant to install
> any extensions (stability over flexibility). I'm hoping the is a

I use Thunderbird on Linux, and format=flowed is enabled by default.

Unless you changed the setting, it wouldn't be in your prefs.js in your
profile. The defaults for both those preferences are buried in
<Thunderbird>/defaults/pref/mailnews.js.

But if he changed it, it would be in his prefs.js. And I doubt he did,
because he would've had to modify prefs.js or user.js manually.
--
Yay!
0
On 01/11/06 06:08, Peter Lairo wrote:
> Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 11:58:
>> Matt Nordhoff wrote on 11.01.2006 11:14:

>>> Maybe you or he has format=flowed disabled? Him, most likely.
>>>
>>> (A quick search in about:config brings up the
>>> mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support and
>>> mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed preferences. The former controls
>>> displaying and the latter controls sending, according to my memory
>>> and their names.)
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer. He uses Thunderbird on *Linux*, so f=f may be
>> off by default (which would be unfortunate IMHO).
>>
>> He has Thunderbird 1.0.x, so there is no "Tools / Options / Advanced /
>> General/ Config Editor". I was also unable to find "flowed" in any of
>> the text files in my profile. Could you please tell me where he should
>> look?
>>
>> He could use the "AboutConfig" Extension
>> (http://aboutconfig.mozdev.org/), but he is *very* hesitant to install
>> any extensions (stability over flexibility). I'm hoping the is a
>> "text-based" way...
>
> I just tested it with my *own* reply to your post by making the window
> more narrow, and the lines of *my text* would incorrectly wrap as I
> described in my original post. So it is not a problem with my or my
> buddy's settings. That's not how it should be, is it? :-(
>
> My settings are:
> mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support = false
> mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed preferences     = true

If that's just in the Compose window, I think that might be a bug, and
it wouldn't apply to after the message is sent.

You have format=flowed enabled for sending according to the Content-Type
header in your messages, but you could possibly have it turned off for
displaying. I use format=flowed, do my messages wrap nicely?
--
Yay!
0
Matt Nordhoff wrote on 11.01.2006 12:36:
> On 01/11/06 06:08, Peter Lairo wrote:
>> Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 11:58:

>>> Thanks for the pointer. He uses Thunderbird on *Linux*, so f=f may be
>>> off by default (which would be unfortunate IMHO).
>>>
>>> He has Thunderbird 1.0.x, so there is no "Tools / Options / Advanced /
>>> General/ Config Editor". I was also unable to find "flowed" in any of
>>> the text files in my profile. Could you please tell me where he
>>> should look?
>>>
>>> He could use the "AboutConfig" Extension
>>> (http://aboutconfig.mozdev.org/), but he is *very* hesitant to
>>> install any extensions (stability over flexibility). I'm hoping the
>>> is a "text-based" way...
>>
>> I just tested it with my *own* reply to your post by making the window
>> more narrow, and the lines of *my text* would incorrectly wrap as I
>> described in my original post. So it is not a problem with my or my
>> buddy's settings. That's not how it should be, is it? :-(
>>
>> My settings are:
>> mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support = false
>> mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed preferences     = true
>
> If that's just in the Compose window, I think that might be a bug, and
> it wouldn't apply to after the message is sent.
>
> You have format=flowed enabled for sending according to the Content-Type
> header in your messages, but you could possibly have it turned off for
> displaying.

No, as stated above, my setting (in mailnews.js) is:

   mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support = false

There is no "flowed" in my prefs.js or user.js.

> I use format=flowed, do my messages wrap nicely?

Yes, your message does wrap nicely. Now I'm really confused. :-\

There seems to be an overwhelming number of format=flowed bugs:

26734, 86607, 98397, 125928, 155622, 168420, 173918, 195938, 216178,
220575, 223279, 88986, 89954, 308123, 322089

Having now read some of them, I still don't understand what is causing
this "bug".
--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

Lame attempt to get rich: http://www.lairo.com/donations.html
0
Peter
1/11/2006 1:03:26 PM
Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 11:58:

> Thanks for the pointer. He uses Thunderbird on *Linux*, so f=f may be
> off by default (which would be unfortunate IMHO).
>
> He has Thunderbird 1.0.x, so there is no "Tools / Options / Advanced /
> General/ Config Editor". I was also unable to find "flowed" in any of
> the text files in my profile. Could you please tell me where he should
> look?
>
> He could use the "AboutConfig" Extension
> (http://aboutconfig.mozdev.org/), but he is *very* hesitant to install
> any extensions (stability over flexibility). I'm hoping the is a
> "text-based" way...

I just noticed that in my previous post the first two paragraphs don't
wrap, and the third one does. :-\

The only thing I can detect in the source code is that the first two
paragraphs don't have a <space> at the end of the lines, and the third
paragraph does.

I wonder if this has something to do with Thunderbird's AutoSave or
Save-As-Draft (I sometimes hit CTRL+S while writing to avoid losing what
I wrote in case of a crash).
--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

Lame attempt to get rich: http://www.lairo.com/donations.html
0
Peter
1/11/2006 1:23:54 PM
Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 14:23:
> I wonder if this has something to do with Thunderbird's AutoSave or
> Save-As-Draft (I sometimes hit CTRL+S while writing to avoid losing what
> I wrote in case of a crash).

I'll type this long text and make sure I *don't* hit CTRL+S. Let's see
what happens. Yes, sorry - I know this should go into some mozilla.text
newsgroup, bit it's a quick test, and it's immediately relevant to this
post. OK, that should be enough text.

--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

Lame attempt to get rich: http://www.lairo.com/donations.html
0
Peter
1/11/2006 1:26:40 PM
Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 14:23:

> I just noticed that in my previous post the first two paragraphs don't
> wrap, and the third one does. :-\
>
> The only thing I can detect in the source code is that the first two
> paragraphs don't have a <space> at the end of the lines, and the third
> paragraph does.
>
> I wonder if this has something to do with Thunderbird's AutoSave or
> Save-As-Draft (I sometimes hit CTRL+S while writing to avoid losing what
> I wrote in case of a crash).

OK, now let's see what happens when I *do* hit CTRL+S before sending.
I'm running out of things to say, so ... bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla bla.

--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

Lame attempt to get rich: http://www.lairo.com/donations.html
0
Peter
1/11/2006 1:27:45 PM
Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 14:23:

> I just noticed that in my previous post the first two paragraphs don't
> wrap, and the third one does. :-\
>
> The only thing I can detect in the source code is that the first two
> paragraphs don't have a <space> at the end of the lines, and the third
> paragraph does.
>
> I wonder if this has something to do with Thunderbird's AutoSave or
> Save-As-Draft (I sometimes hit CTRL+S while writing to avoid losing what
> I wrote in case of a crash).

Test to see if cut&paste of previously flowed text has an effect:

OK, now let's see what happens when I *do* hit CTRL+S before sending.
I'm running out of things to say, so ... bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla bla.

--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

Lame attempt to get rich: http://www.lairo.com/donations.html
0
Peter
1/11/2006 1:31:40 PM
Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 14:23:

> I just noticed that in my previous post the first two paragraphs don't
> wrap, and the third one does. :-\
>
> The only thing I can detect in the source code is that the first two
> paragraphs don't have a <space> at the end of the lines, and the third
> paragraph does.
>
> I wonder if this has something to do with Thunderbird's AutoSave or
> Save-As-Draft (I sometimes hit CTRL+S while writing to avoid losing what
> I wrote in case of a crash).

OK, now let's see what happens when I *do* hit CTRL+S *and* close the
message and open it from the drafts folder before sending. I'm running
out of things to say, so ... bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
bla.

--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

Lame attempt to get rich: http://www.lairo.com/donations.html
0
Peter
1/11/2006 1:34:55 PM
On 01/11/06 08:34, Peter Lairo wrote:
> Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 14:23:
>>
>> I just noticed that in my previous post the first two paragraphs don't
>> wrap, and the third one does. :-\
>>
>> The only thing I can detect in the source code is that the first two
>> paragraphs don't have a <space> at the end of the lines, and the third
>> paragraph does.
>>
>> I wonder if this has something to do with Thunderbird's AutoSave or
>> Save-As-Draft (I sometimes hit CTRL+S while writing to avoid losing
>> what I wrote in case of a crash).
>
> OK, now let's see what happens when I *do* hit CTRL+S *and* close the
> message and open it from the drafts folder before sending. I'm running
> out of things to say, so ... bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
> bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
> bla.

For me, this one didn't wrap, but the others did.
--
Yay!
0
On 01/11/06 08:03, Peter Lairo wrote:
> Matt Nordhoff wrote on 11.01.2006 12:36:

>>> I just tested it with my *own* reply to your post by making the
>>> window more narrow, and the lines of *my text* would incorrectly wrap
>>> as I described in my original post. So it is not a problem with my or
>>> my buddy's settings. That's not how it should be, is it? :-(
>>>
>>> My settings are:
>>> mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support = false
>>> mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed preferences     = true
>>
>> If that's just in the Compose window, I think that might be a bug, and
>> it wouldn't apply to after the message is sent.
>>
>> You have format=flowed enabled for sending according to the
>> Content-Type header in your messages, but you could possibly have it
>> turned off for displaying.
>
> No, as stated above, my setting (in mailnews.js) is:
>
>   mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support = false
>
> There is no "flowed" in my prefs.js or user.js.

Right. Well, seems like the problem's on his end, then.

>> I use format=flowed, do my messages wrap nicely?
>
> Yes, your message does wrap nicely. Now I'm really confused. :-\
>
> There seems to be an overwhelming number of format=flowed bugs:
>
> 26734, 86607, 98397, 125928, 155622, 168420, 173918, 195938, 216178,
> 220575, 223279, 88986, 89954, 308123, 322089
>
> Having now read some of them, I still don't understand what is causing
> this "bug".

Yeah, exactly. I think there is a bug for it not working right in Compose.

/me shrugs.
--
Yay!
0
Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 14:34:
> Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 14:23:
>>
>> I just noticed that in my previous post the first two paragraphs don't
>> wrap, and the third one does. :-\
>>
>> The only thing I can detect in the source code is that the first two
>> paragraphs don't have a <space> at the end of the lines, and the third
>> paragraph does.
>>
>> I wonder if this has something to do with Thunderbird's AutoSave or
>> Save-As-Draft (I sometimes hit CTRL+S while writing to avoid losing
>> what I wrote in case of a crash).
>
> OK, now let's see what happens when I *do* hit CTRL+S *and* close the
> message and open it from the drafts folder before sending. I'm running
> out of things to say, so ... bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
> bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
> bla.

Yep, *that* (Edit Draft/Template & Edit-As-New) broke the format=flowed
wrapping. :-(

The bug for this is:
Wrapping information lost on "Edit as new" (including templates), "Edit
draft" -- RFC 2646 format=flowed

Please come and vote for (or fix) this bug. :-)

PS. And if you like to use "Edit/Rewrap" (which also breaks f=f), that
is bug 220575.

--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

Lame attempt to get rich: http://www.lairo.com/donations.html
0
Peter
1/11/2006 2:08:31 PM
On 01/11/06 09:08, Peter Lairo wrote:
> Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 14:34:
>> Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 14:23:
>>>
>>> I just noticed that in my previous post the first two paragraphs
>>> don't wrap, and the third one does. :-\
>>>
>>> The only thing I can detect in the source code is that the first two
>>> paragraphs don't have a <space> at the end of the lines, and the
>>> third paragraph does.
>>>
>>> I wonder if this has something to do with Thunderbird's AutoSave or
>>> Save-As-Draft (I sometimes hit CTRL+S while writing to avoid losing
>>> what I wrote in case of a crash).
>>
>> OK, now let's see what happens when I *do* hit CTRL+S *and* close the
>> message and open it from the drafts folder before sending. I'm running
>> out of things to say, so ... bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
>> bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
>> bla.
>
> Yep, *that* (Edit Draft/Template & Edit-As-New) broke the format=flowed
> wrapping. :-(
>
> The bug for this is:
> Wrapping information lost on "Edit as new" (including templates), "Edit
> draft" -- RFC 2646 format=flowed
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=155622
>
> Please come and vote for (or fix) this bug. :-)
>
> PS. And if you like to use "Edit/Rewrap" (which also breaks f=f), that
> is bug 220575.

I use Edit -> Rewrap occasionally. Huh. I'll need to remember that,
then. Well, format=flowed is not that important.
--
Yay!
0

> On 01/11/06 08:34, Peter Lairo wrote:
>> Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 14:23:
>>> I just noticed that in my previous post the first two paragraphs don't
>>> wrap, and the third one does. :-\
>>>
>>> The only thing I can detect in the source code is that the first two
>>> paragraphs don't have a <space> at the end of the lines, and the third
>>> paragraph does.
>>>
>>> I wonder if this has something to do with Thunderbird's AutoSave or
>>> Save-As-Draft (I sometimes hit CTRL+S while writing to avoid losing
>>> what I wrote in case of a crash).
>> OK, now let's see what happens when I *do* hit CTRL+S *and* close the
>> message and open it from the drafts folder before sending. I'm running
>> out of things to say, so ... bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
>> bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
>> bla.
>
> For me, this one didn't wrap, but the others did.

They all wrapped properly for me. 1.5 Boba build

--
Terry

***Reply Note***
Terry
1/11/2006 3:04:29 PM
On 1/11/2006 8:48 AM, Matt Nordhoff wrote:

> On 01/11/06 08:34, Peter Lairo wrote:
>> Peter Lairo wrote on 11.01.2006 14:23:
>>>
>>> I just noticed that in my previous post the first two paragraphs don't
>>> wrap, and the third one does. :-\
>>>
>>> The only thing I can detect in the source code is that the first two
>>> paragraphs don't have a <space> at the end of the lines, and the third
>>> paragraph does.
>>>
>>> I wonder if this has something to do with Thunderbird's AutoSave or
>>> Save-As-Draft (I sometimes hit CTRL+S while writing to avoid losing
>>> what I wrote in case of a crash).
>>
>> OK, now let's see what happens when I *do* hit CTRL+S *and* close the
>> message and open it from the drafts folder before sending. I'm running
>> out of things to say, so ... bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
>> bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
>> bla.
>
> For me, this one didn't wrap, but the others did.

They all wrapped for me.

--
Best regards
Gord McFee
Matt Nordhoff wrote:
 type="cite">On 01/10/06 11:40, Peter Lairo wrote:
[...]
&lt;space&gt; at the end of artificially hard-returned lines is for?
:-\
+------------------------------------+
| Word01 word02 word03 word04 word05 |
| word06 word07 word08 word09 word10 |
| word11 word12 word13 word14 word15 |
| word16.                            |
+------------------------------------+
What disappoints me most is that Thunderbird seemingly can't even
communicate effectively with itself. :-(
Currently, reading plain text messages is cumbersome.
Is this a bug (number?), or am I misunderstanding something?
PS. This is a repost from netscape.mozilla.thunderbird since that
newsgroup will soon become very quit.
Maybe you or he has format=flowed disabled? Him, most likely.
(A quick search in <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="about:config">about:config</a> brings up the
mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support and
mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed preferences. The former controls
displaying and the latter controls sending, according to my memory and
their names.)
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="about:config">about:config</a> so I would like to ask you a one related to about config
question <br>
What the line mailnews.timeline_is_enabled ?<br>
<title></title>
	<!--
		@page { size: 21cm 29.7cm; margin: 2cm }
		P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm }
	-->
 face="Freestyle Script, cursive"><font style="font-size: 26pt;"
 size="6"><b><span
0
MARKO
5/15/2007 8:24:35 AM
MARKO wrote:
> Matt Nordhoff wrote:
>> On 01/10/06 11:40, Peter Lairo wrote:
>>> This is something that has been bugging (or confusing) me for some time:
>>>
>>> When someone (e.g., a buddy who uses Thunderbird 1.0.6, Linux) sends me
>>> a plain text e-mail (that presumably has "Compose: wrap plain text at
>>> 72 characters" set) I see it as this (my message pane is *less* than
>>> 72 chars):
>>>
>>> Note: Words 01 through 16 are *one* sentence.
>>>
>>> +------------------------------------+
>>> | Word01 word02 word03 word04 word05 |
>>> | word06 word07 word08               |
>>> | word09 word10 word11 word12 word13 |
>>> | word14 word15 word16.              |
>>> +------------------------------------+
>>>
>>> Presumably words 08 and 16 are where the sender's e-mail program
>>> placed a hard return (at 72 chars).
>>>
>>> When I make the message pane narrower the *other* words will wrap to
>>> fit the window (words 08 and 16 are always the end of a line, even if
>>> the sentence continues after that word - non-desired hard return).
>>>
>>> +------------------------+
>>> | Word01 word02 word03   |
>>> | word04 word05 word06   |
>>> | word07 word08          |
>>> | word09 word10 word11   |
>>> | word12 word13 word14   |
>>> | word15 word16.         |
>>> +------------------------+
>>>
>>> Why doesn't Thunderbird just wrap everything until it finds a "true"
>>> hard return. Isn't that what format=flowed and the (created?) extra
>>> <space> at the end of artificially hard-returned lines is for? :-\
>>>
>>> +------------------------------------+
>>> | Word01 word02 word03 word04 word05 |
>>> | word06 word07 word08 word09 word10 |
>>> | word11 word12 word13 word14 word15 |
>>> | word16.                            |
>>> +------------------------------------+
>>>
>>> What disappoints me most is that Thunderbird seemingly can't even
>>> communicate effectively with itself. :-(
>>>
>>> Currently, reading plain text messages is cumbersome.
>>>
>>> Is this a bug (number?), or am I misunderstanding something?
>>>
>>> PS. This is a repost from netscape.mozilla.thunderbird since that
>>> newsgroup will soon become very quit.
>>
>> Maybe you or he has format=flowed disabled? Him, most likely.
>>
>> (A quick search in about:config brings up the
>> mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support and
>> mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed preferences. The former controls
>> displaying and the latter controls sending, according to my memory and
>> their names.)
> huh I think you are very good with about:config so I would like to ask
> you a one related to about config question
> What the line mailnews.timeline_is_enabled ?
> thx
> --
>
> *MAXIMUS*

Please do not post in HTML especially your UNREADABLE colours
0
Moz
5/15/2007 9:12:12 AM
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Please do not post in HTML especially your UNREADABLE colours

Hint: If you disable HTML viewing, you will always only get the text.
Much safer this way anyway as you also will be mostly immune to any
javascript bombs (Barring any bugs in TB's parser...)
0
Cyker
5/15/2007 9:25:08 PM
Cyker wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>
>> Please do not post in HTML especially your UNREADABLE colours
>  >

> Hint: If you disable HTML viewing, you will always only get the text.
> Much safer this way anyway as you also will be mostly immune to any
> javascript bombs (Barring any bugs in TB's parser...)

Hogwash.
     I've been on the internet since 1997, and I always run javascript
and html and I have NEVER come accross anything that harms my computers
(windows and macs) simply by viewing such.

I have issued this challange previously - go on, SEND me something in
javascript or HTML that will damage my machine, go right ahead! You
cannot, and that's the end of your dramatizations.

You might as well claim cookies are dangerous (they are not) or that you
can get a virus from simply reading an email (you can't) You want to run
around in fear of POSSIBILITIES then you do so, don't foster your fears
onto others.
0
Moz
5/15/2007 11:15:35 PM
Cyker wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>
>> Please do not post in HTML especially your UNREADABLE colours
>  >

> Hint: If you disable HTML viewing, you will always only get the text.
> Much safer this way anyway as you also will be mostly immune to any
> javascript bombs (Barring any bugs in TB's parser...)

I would rather just disable certain users who refuse to eschew use of
HTML to inflict their questionable color choices on us.  I receive some
quite convenient HTML messages and don't want to turn off that feature
just to prevent abuse by an occasional twit.

--
Ron Hunter  rphunter@charter.net
0
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Cyker wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>>
>>> Please do not post in HTML especially your UNREADABLE colours
>>  >

>> Hint: If you disable HTML viewing, you will always only get the text.
>> Much safer this way anyway as you also will be mostly immune to any
>> javascript bombs (Barring any bugs in TB's parser...)
>

> Hogwash.
>     I've been on the internet since 1997, and I always run javascript
> and html and I have NEVER come accross anything that harms my computers
> (windows and macs) simply by viewing such.
>
> I have issued this challange previously - go on, SEND me something in
> javascript or HTML that will damage my machine, go right ahead! You
> cannot, and that's the end of your dramatizations.
>
> You might as well claim cookies are dangerous (they are not) or that you
> can get a virus from simply reading an email (you can't) You want to run
> around in fear of POSSIBILITIES then you do so, don't foster your fears
> onto others.
Well, you can't with TB, but I wish I could say the same for OE, but
then you don't need to worry about that one....

--
Ron Hunter  rphunter@charter.net
0
Ron

Thunderbird wraps plain text replies but not Opera Mail HTML replies
It is exasperating to reply to an HTML message in Thunderbird. This is soooooo frustrating I must ask for *help*! How do we set Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 on WinXP to wrap replies to all messages? Thunderbird will wrap outgoing messages & replies to incoming *text* messages at 72 characters (Tools, Options, Composition, General, wrap plain text messages at 72 characters). But, there seems to be no option to wrap replies to Opera Mail/9.23 (Win32) HTML messages to 72 characters. So, one has to scroll back and forth when replying to an HTML message (at least those from Opera Mail). ...

Shceduling an e-mail to be sent by THUNDERBIRD -
Name: Daniel Hardigree Email: danieloftheclearatallteldotnet Product: Thunderbird Summary: Shceduling an e-mail to be sent by THUNDERBIRD - - Thunderbird is the best e-mail client by far Comments: It would be wonderful to have a way to write an e-mail like this little area that would be scheduled TO BE SENT TO THE BOSS at a given TIME. He text me today to remind him tomorrow to talk to him about something. THIS WAY he gets a REMINDER on his iPhone and I get a REMINDER on my phone, at a designated time! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1....

Send HTML e-mail or text e-mail
I'd like to send a user an HTML e-mail if they are capable of it, but if not, send them a text e-mail.  How can I do this? Hi,  I don't think there is a way to detect this.  The mail server doesn't care if it is html or text.  It is the client that usually limits if it can read html or text.  Here's a link for sending both a html and text version http://dotnetdud.blogspot.com/2008/05/create-html-message-with-embedded.html I hope this helpsMike Douglasblog - http://www.CodeSmartNotHard.comWebSite - http://www.DOITConsultants.com...

Why are my E-mail msgs in plain text?
I just installed Thunderbird on this PC. I'm E-mailing with someone who can handle messages in HTML. Things SEEM to be set up for HTML, but it keeps sending plain text. Even if I send an E-mail to myself, it shows up as plain text (in the compose window it's HTML, but I realize what I see in the compose window isn't necessarily what is sent or received). I have these settings: View, Message Body As, Original HTML. Account Settings, Composition, Compose messages in HTML format Tools, Options: Display, Formatting, Fonts, Default Font, Arial 16 Co...

Retrieving text from e-mail in Thunderbird?
Hi, I am new to Thunderbird extensions and I have a question. I am trying to make an extension in which to retrieve the text of a mail and the headers (from the compose window) and send them to a file... Of course, this is not the main purpose of the extension, but this would a first step. I have problems at accessing the text and the headers... one of the reasons is that I don't know how to refer to these panes in the compose window (I don't know their ID). If somebody could provide me with a solution to retrieve the text, it would be great. Ioana ------------...

Thunderbird: Accessing mail body in plain text
Hi, I'm trying to extract the body of a mail in plain text. Like when you use "File->Save As->File", and select "Text Files" as file type. But without showing the dialog. Thanks to the tip under the following URL, I'm able to read the body in some special HTML format: http://code.google.com/p/colorediffs/wiki/HowToGetMessageTextInThunderbird The file nsMessenger.cpp suggests using ConvertBufToPlainText() to convert it to plain text. I started looking for a JavaScript accessible equivalent and found the following snippet. It works fine in Firefox, ...

Plain text and HTML both being sent in E-mails
When I send an E-mail it sends the E-mail with the top portion in plain text and then inserts a line tha reads: ------------------- Text.htm follows ------------------- and then the same text as the top portion again in HTML. How do I only send the HTML version without the plain text? Well you aren't supposed to. But this demonstrates you are not sending as MIME but as uuencoded, an obsolete format. Add /MIME to gwia.cfg and retry <terashitas@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%EGfh.14009$jS4.10596@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > When I send an E-mail it...

Plain text format for composing e-mails
Name: Joe Domine Email: jddbusinessatjunodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Plain text format for composing e-mails Comments: Firefox may already have this feature, but I have not been able to find it. Is there a way to select the use of plain text when I compose e- mails in my juno email when I connect to juno.com through firefox to read, write, respond to my e-mails on juno webmail?? I can choose either rich text or plain text formats when I connect with IE6 and would like to know how to do that with firefox. Thanks. Joe 20061216 Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (co...

E-mail formattings from Hotmail messed up in plain text.
Is anyone else getting messed up e-mails from Hotmail in plain text lately? Basically, I lose carriage returns/pargraphs and everything squished together with both the e-mail and signatures. Simple and regular HTML looked fine. I think it was something to do with a recent Hotmail upgrade. For example: > > > Yes, I did. It was okay.> > Aww, you should stop watching BG then. I think you are losing interests.> > > > It seems to be a trend in Canada production to make mini-series,> > What other TV series from them?> > > > After the fi...

How can we switch to plain text for composing e-mail??
Name: Joseph Domine Email: jddomine_at_juno.com Product: Firefox Summary: How can we switch to plain text for composing e-mail?? Comments: I have a few friends who have problems with my replies to their e-mails. Namely, they do NOT get what I write, but only their own e-mail to which I was replying??!! This does NOT happen when I use plain text in juno webmail, but it does happen when I use html. With IE, I can switch to plain text in juno webmail and then they are OK, but I have NOT been able to figure out how to compose / send in plain text with Firefox. Is there a way...

Plain text e-mails show asterisks in my URLs from Gmails...
Hi! I noticed incoming Gmail e-mail replies, to my quoted e-mails with links change to asterisks, like "http://cheezburger.com/**39831553 <http://cheezburger.com/39831553>". It only happens if I tell SeaMonkey v2.0.14-v2.11's e-mail clients to force plain texts. Is this by design/normal? I find it annoying and really don't want to use any HTML formats since I am old school and want to be more secured. Thank you in advance. :) -- "The ants are my friends, they're blowin' in the wind. The ant, sir, is blowin' in the wind." --the ...

Thunderbird Extension: Insert HTML or Plain Text into mail body
Hi all, In my extension, i would like to insert content into the mail body (The insertion happens at mail sending on the "compose-send-message" event). I have two content: one is HTML, the other is plain text. What I want to do, is to check if current mail is HTML formatted before inserting HTML content, and if not, I insert Plain text content. I tried to test Current Editor Type, but I always get "htmlmail". Do you know where can I get this value ? (I still work on TB 3.1) Regards, Thibault Thibault Cassan wrote: >I tried to test Current Editor Ty...

Sending a new HTML e-mail reverts back to plain text?
Hello. I have a strange issue. My SeaMonkey v2.33's e-mail composer keeps sending in plain text format when I am sending a HTML formatted e-mail to an address not listed in the Preferences' list and addressbooks. Am I missing something? Or did I run into a bug? Thank you in advance. :) -- "The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon the ant." --Indian /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / ...

Compose plain text e-mail using a variable-width font?
I've pulled every thread I can find in Thunderbird trying to find a way to get TB to allow me to use a variable width font to compose my plain text e-mail messages, but have found nothing that really works. I can go to Preferences > Display > Formatting > Fonts > Advanced and specify a variable-width font like Lucida Grande for the "Monospace:" selection, but that also controls how mail is displayed, which is a side effect that I really don't want. When someone /sends/ me mail that uses a monospaced font, I really do want it to show using a monospaced fa...

Web resources about - Plain Text E-Mails Wrap Poorly - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Email spam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article may contain inappropriate or misinterpreted citations that do not verify the text . Please help improve this article by checking ...

Open Directory - Computers: Internet: E-mail: Spam
Fight Spam on the Internet - Includes information regarding laws, filtering, spam prevention, and responsible marketing, as well as information ...

E-Mail The Sports Guy
E-Mail The Sports Guy

Facebook Ads: Improved E-mail Marketing
This is a guest post by SocialCode CEO Laura O’Shaughnessy. SocialCode is a digital agency and Washington Post Co. subsidiary that focuses on ...

Girlfriend Romantic E-mail for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Girlfriend Romantic E-mail on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. Speed dial button to send e-mails to ...

e-mail symbol - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Micky.!'s photos on Flickr. Micky.! has uploaded 22250 photos to Flickr.

Hate E-mails with Richard Dawkins - YouTube
Richard Dawkins reads some of his hate mail. An excerpt from the video entitled "Richard Dawkins Answers Reddit Questions," which can be found ...

Ladar Levison, Edward Snowden's e-mail provider
While you may not be familiar with Ladar Levison or his email service Lavabit, you've certainly heard about one of

Porter says Couillard still a friend, thinks he would make a good Quebec premier - iPolitics » E-Mail ...
iPolitics is independent, non-partisan and committed to providing timely, relevant, insightful content to those whose professional or personal ...

E-mail newsletters - Atlanta, Ga - 11Alive.com WXIA TV
News and weather e-mail newsletters from 11Alive.com in Atlanta, Georgia