Newsgroup shows 535 unread messages, none visible

TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)

A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a rec.
group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were available for,
like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple days ago when I
decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new account and told TB all
about it.

TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)), but
not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view options set
to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and Threads: All

WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing on
something.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

mike elliott keyboarded, On 3/17/2009 1:04 PM:
> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>
> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a
> rec. group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were
> available for, like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple
> days ago when I decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new
> account and told TB all about it.
>
> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)),
> but not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view
> options set to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and
> Threads: All
>
> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing
> on something.

What is your account setting for how far back into the past you wanted
to fetch headers?  Could be tthe server might not have a current feed
from Usenet, thus no headers available for the time block you are
configured to fetch.

--
Ron K.

Ron
3/17/2009 5:18:06 PM
On 3/17/2009 10:18 AM Ron K. wrote:

> mike elliott keyboarded, On 3/17/2009 1:04 PM:
>> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>>
>> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a
>> rec. group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were
>> available for, like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple
>> days ago when I decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new
>> account and told TB all about it.
>>
>> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
>> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)),
>> but not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view
>> options set to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and
>> Threads: All
>>
>> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing
>> on something.
>>
> What is your account setting for how far back into the past you wanted
> to fetch headers?  Could be tthe server might not have a current feed
> from Usenet, thus no headers available for the time block you are
> configured to fetch.

Thanks, Ron.

30 days.

Anyway, I have used "Mark Newsgroup Read" to reduce the number of unread
messages to 0. Like yesterday. Today there is a bunch (535) that have
accumulated, as shown by the number in parenthesis after the name of the
NG in the folder panel, and none are visible in the message panel as
described above.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
mike elliott wrote:
> Anyway, I have used "Mark Newsgroup Read" to reduce the number of unread
> messages to 0. Like yesterday. Today there is a bunch (535) that have
> accumulated, as shown by the number in parenthesis after the name of the
> NG in the folder panel, and none are visible in the message panel as
> described above.

It is common for TB to misreport the number of unread messages: this has
been a problem from day 1.
mike elliott on 3/17/2009 1:31 PM, keyboarded a reply:
> On 3/17/2009 10:18 AM Ron K. wrote:
>
>> mike elliott keyboarded, On 3/17/2009 1:04 PM:
>>> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>>>
>>> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a
>>> rec. group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were
>>> available for, like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple
>>> days ago when I decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new
>>> account and told TB all about it.
>>>
>>> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
>>> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)),
>>> but not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view
>>> options set to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and
>>> Threads: All
>>>
>>> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing
>>> on something.
>>>
>> What is your account setting for how far back into the past you wanted
>> to fetch headers?  Could be tthe server might not have a current feed
>> from Usenet, thus no headers available for the time block you are
>> configured to fetch.
>>

> Thanks, Ron.
>
> 30 days.
>
> Anyway, I have used "Mark Newsgroup Read" to reduce the number of unread
> messages to 0. Like yesterday. Today there is a bunch (535) that have
> accumulated, as shown by the number in parenthesis after the name of the
> NG in the folder panel, and none are visible in the message panel as
> described above.

Could be an ewrror in the associated *.rc file, where the message indes
sequence is not contiguous. The only gaps in the insex sequence should be
from missing messages, i.e. 1-100, 105-200 where in this example the gap
reflect messages nolonger on that server. Such gaps could cause Tb to
report existance of "Unread" messages.  Since profiles are hidden in
Windows Explorer, make sure it is configured to show "system" files. Then
look in the News folder of the profile for the *.rc file of the server
account and read/edit it with Notepad or other text editor.  Worst case is
to open the folder of the server account and delete the *.msf file of the
effected group. This will force a reset much like removal of the account
and rebuilding a fresh version of the account.

It has been requested in Bugzilla that Tb acquire a version of the OE group
reset function.

--
Ron K.
Ron
On 3/17/2009 11:05 AM Ron K. wrote:

> mike elliott on 3/17/2009 1:31 PM, keyboarded a reply:
>> On 3/17/2009 10:18 AM Ron K. wrote:
>>
>>> mike elliott keyboarded, On 3/17/2009 1:04 PM:

>>> What is your account setting for how far back into the past you wanted
>>> to fetch headers?  Could be tthe server might not have a current feed
>>> from Usenet, thus no headers available for the time block you are
>>> configured to fetch.
>>>
>> Thanks, Ron.
>>
>> 30 days.
>>
>> Anyway, I have used "Mark Newsgroup Read" to reduce the number of unread
>> messages to 0. Like yesterday. Today there is a bunch (535) that have
>> accumulated, as shown by the number in parenthesis after the name of the
>> NG in the folder panel, and none are visible in the message panel as
>> described above.
>>

> Could be an ewrror in the associated *.rc file, where the message indes
> sequence is not contiguous. The only gaps in the insex sequence should be
> from missing messages, i.e. 1-100, 105-200 where in this example the gap
> reflect messages nolonger on that server. Such gaps could cause Tb to
> report existance of "Unread" messages.  Since profiles are hidden in
> Windows Explorer, make sure it is configured to show "system" files. Then
> look in the News folder of the profile for the *.rc file of the server
> account and read/edit it with Notepad or other text editor.  Worst case is
> to open the folder of the server account and delete the *.msf file of the
> effected group. This will force a reset much like removal of the account
> and rebuilding a fresh version of the account.
>
> It has been requested in Bugzilla that Tb acquire a version of the OE group
> reset function.

Okay, that's interesting. I found neither a .rc nor a .msf for the Usenet
NG. They do exist for news.mozilla.org

IOW, there's no indication that TB has created the necessary files for
news.motzarella.org's NNTP account. This, despite TB showing the account
in the folders pane. Maybe it's waiting to get its mitts on even one file
in order to get the ball rolling?

The NG accumulates a hundred or more messages a day so it's not lack of
activity, I don't think. Maybe the news server is munged. Anyone know of a
free Usenet (no pr0n, no warez) Usenet server to try?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
mike elliott wrote:
  IOW, there's no indication that TB has created the necessary files for
> news.motzarella.org's NNTP account. This, despite TB showing the account
> in the folders pane. Maybe it's waiting to get its mitts on even one
> file in order to get the ball rolling?
>
> The NG accumulates a hundred or more messages a day so it's not lack of
> activity, I don't think. Maybe the news server is munged. Anyone know of
> a free Usenet (no pr0n, no warez) Usenet server to try?

I use Motzarella with TB with no special problem.

On 3/17/2009 11:55 AM C A Upsdell > wrote:

> mike elliott wrote:
>   IOW, there's no indication that TB has created the necessary files for
>> news.motzarella.org's NNTP account. This, despite TB showing the account
>> in the folders pane. Maybe it's waiting to get its mitts on even one
>> file in order to get the ball rolling?
>>
>> The NG accumulates a hundred or more messages a day so it's not lack of
>> activity, I don't think. Maybe the news server is munged. Anyone know of
>> a free Usenet (no pr0n, no warez) Usenet server to try?
>
> I use Motzarella with TB with no special problem.

As have I in the past, until (see my OP) it kinda stopped getting proper
authentication or something which resulted in no new messages for a few
weeks, which is why I deleted that account, re-upped with
news.motzarella.org under a different user name a couple days ago and have
now encountered this problem of folder pane seeing unread messages but
message pane displaying none (/see my OP).

Now I have discovered that TB has not created a folder, a .rc, nor a .msf
for the NG account.

Hm. I click on the account name in the folder pane, it displays several
hundred unread messages (531, now), so I Mark Newsgroup Read, and the
count drops to zero (account unbolds), go to another account, come back
and it says, "No New Messages." Unless I wait about half an hour, then it
finds another several hundred. I wonder if it's chewing through all the
old stuff in order to find newer stuff that can be displayed?

Grasping at straws here.

I'd still like to try another free Usenet feed if someone know a non-pr0n,
non-warez one. Just as a troubleshooting step.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
mike elliott wrote:
>> I use Motzarella with TB with no special problem.
>>
> As have I in the past, until (see my OP) it kinda stopped getting proper
> authentication or something ...

Yes, same thing happened to me, but I simply re-entered the
authentication info when TB prompted for it, and the server went live again.
On 3/17/2009 12:56 PM C A Upsdell > wrote:

> mike elliott wrote:
>>> I use Motzarella with TB with no special problem.
>>>
>> As have I in the past, until (see my OP) it kinda stopped getting proper
>> authentication or something ...
>
> Yes, same thing happened to me, but I simply re-entered the
> authentication info when TB prompted for it, and the server went live again.

Yep, well, that didn't work for me so, as I say, I have gotten a new
account, set it up exactly like the old with the exception of the
username/pwd and the behavior is different: now the folders pane sees
unread messages, but the message pane does not display any.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
On 3/17/2009 10:04 AM mike elliott wrote:

> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>
> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a rec.
> group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were available for,
> like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple days ago when I
> decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new account and told TB all
> about it.
>
> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)), but
> not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view options set
> to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and Threads: All
>
> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing on
> something.

Okay, in addition to the interesting fact that TB has not created a
folder, a .rc, or a .msf file for this account, two new behaviors have
been identified.

1. If I go to some other account (mail or news) and come back to this one,
the number of unread messages seems to display as 531. Not always, a half
hour ago it showed as 9,865. But most times. I always Mark Newsgroup Read,
which drops the count to zero and unbolds the account name. If I go away
and come back pretty quickly, the folder pane denies that there are any
new messages. But after half an hour or so, it seems to want to generate
that 531 new messages count again.

2. If I Search the NG for some common string (it's a bicycling newsgroup,
so "wheel" is a good one) then TB finds many messages, none more recent
than 10/7/2008. Which is about when my earlier subscription to this NG on
news.motzarella.com stopped displaying messages.

So maybe everyone spontaneously stopped posting to rec.bicycles.tech on
October 7? Or news.motzarella.org stopped carrying the group? It does show
the name for subscription purposes, tho'.

It baffles science.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
On 3/17/2009 10:04 AM, mike elliott wrote:
> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>
> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a rec.
> group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were available for,
> like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple days ago when I
> decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new account and told TB all
> about it.
>
> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)), but
> not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view options set
> to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and Threads: All
>
> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing on
> something.

Have you tried View>>Messages>>All
                        View>>Threads>>All

Irwin

Irwin
3/17/2009 8:39:24 PM
On 3/17/2009 1:32 PM, mike elliott wrote:
> On 3/17/2009 10:04 AM mike elliott wrote:
>
>> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>>
>> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a rec.
>> group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were available for,
>> like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple days ago when I
>> decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new account and told TB all
>> about it.
>>
>> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
>> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)), but
>> not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view options set
>> to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and Threads: All
>>
>> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing on
>> something.
>>

> Okay, in addition to the interesting fact that TB has not created a
> folder, a .rc, or a .msf file for this account, two new behaviors have
> been identified.

<snip>

Sounds like it may be using the old account information.  Check Server
settings for the account to see what folders it is using.

Irwin

<
0
Irwin
3/17/2009 9:26:32 PM
On 3/17/2009 1:39 PM Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> On 3/17/2009 10:04 AM, mike elliott wrote:
>> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>>
>> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a rec.
>> group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were available for,
>> like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple days ago when I
>> decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new account and told TB all
>> about it.
>>
>> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
>> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)), but
>> not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view options set
>> to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and Threads: All
>>
>> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing on
>> something.
>>
> Have you tried View>>Messages>>All
>                         View>>Threads>>All

Hi Irwin,

Can't find a View>>Messages>>All in TB2.

Interesting -- Server settings for the account shows that it is using the
..rc file from when I was using Adelphia for my NNTP service.

So I closed TB, deleted any and all News > .rc, .msf, and subfolders
(except news.mozilla.org bits), and re-launched TB. I re-subscribed to
rec.bicycles.tech and TB created new .rc, .msf files and a matching folder.

And Hey Presto! it works. Something must have gotten munged in the profile
files.

Thanks all, for the help.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

0
mike

Is it possible to show the total messages and the unread messages under Newsgroups Folders?
I thought this is a nice features to have so we know how many UNREAD response since our last visit to any newsgroup. Knowing mozilla programmers, this should be easily implemented(if not yet) and configurable using the prefs or Chrome customization. Thanks On 10.12.2004 18:00, Sarah Tanembaum wrote: --- Original Message --- > I thought this is a nice features to have so we know how many UNREAD > response since our last visit to any newsgroup. Knowing mozilla > programmers, this should be easily implemented(if not yet) and > configurable using the prefs or Ch...

Unread newsgroup messages in Thunderbird
I have Thunderbird set up to check for new headers every 15 minutes, and it often shows new headers in a group, but when I go to that group, my filters discard all the messages, so I'm just wasting my time. Is there any way to get the filters to do the job when it checks for headers? I guess it would have to be some type of setting that not only checks for headers, but attempts to download them, but I don't see that anywhere. ...

Newsgroup headers not showing if there are unread messages
I recently switched over to TB from OE. In OE newsgroups, the first message always showed with the title bolded if there were any unread messages in the thread, but TB doesn't seem to do that. I'm not talking about new messages . . . TB does a credible job there . .. . I'm talking about if I read the first message and then leave the thread and don't read all the messages and then come back to it later. In that case, TB shows the the first message unbolded, and I have to expand to see if I read all the messages in the thread. OE showed the first message as bol...

Newsgroup Threads Showing New Messages When There Are None
Lately, I've noticed the return of an old problem that I thought had been fixed. My configuration: Windows XP SP3 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Thunderbird/3.1.9 TB3 Classic theme 1.1.7 View > Layout > Wide View View > Threads > Threads with Unread Extensions: Signature Switch 1.6.6 Compact Headers 1.2.4 Preferences include: user_pref("mail.strict_threading",true); user_pref("mailnews.scroll_to_new_message", false); When I open a news server account, newsgroups with unread messa...

(thunderbird) making deleted newsgroup messages visible?
Hi, I have set in thunderbird in the newsgroup settings that read messages shouldn't be downloaded, read messages and older than 3 days messages should be deleted. Now I don't know how to find and make an old message visible in thunderbird. Please help me. Thanks in advance. ...

Collapsed Newsgroup Threads Indicate Unread Messages, But There Are None
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20110902 Thunderbird/6.0.2 Default 6.0.2 theme View > Layout > Wide View View > Threads > Threads with Unread When I open a newsgroup account, the threads are collapsed (as I want them). I see subjects underlined, indicating the presence of unread messages in those threads. When I expand such a thread, often there is no unread message. I see this with more than one news server account, including the news.mozilla.org server. Individual newsgroups where there are no actual unread messages are not bold; this problem appe...

Newsgroup messages always showing up as unread, but they are actually read.
I apologize if this has been mentioned before, I did a search and did not locate anything. Recently starting using Thunderbird as my newsreader. I have the situation where a number of newsgroups (although all messages are read in them) show as having unread messages when the account is opened and refreshed. Yet when I choose the newsgroup the unread message count disappears and no messages are shown, until that is there actually are unread messages. I have tried unsubscribing and resubscribing to the newsgroup with no success. Thoughts and pointers to information are appreciat...

How do I view unread newsgroup messages, by thread, by received?
While it may be a swear word, I am migrating from Outlook Express (shock horror)and liked the thread by received view Southern Kiwi wrote: > While it may be a swear word, I am migrating from Outlook Express (shock > horror)and liked the thread by received view on the menu. view -> threads -> unread -- .~. Might, Courage, Vision. SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you! /( _ )\ (Ubuntu 5.10) Linux 2.6.15.6 ^ ^ 16:44:02 up 2 days 23:25 load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00 news://news.3home.net ne...

Thunderbird shows that there are unread messages (but there aren't)
Hello all, My Thunderbird (software, not car) crashed this morning and since then it shows that I have 4 unread messages even though there are no unread messages displayed in the list of mail. I have also done a "select all" and then "mark as read", and I have compacted the inbox. Still, it says 4 unread messages. Any help much appreciated! Rossputin rossputin@gmail.com said the following On 04/16/2008 09:27 PM: > Hello all, > > My Thunderbird (software, not car) crashed this morning and since then > it shows that I have 4 unread messages e...

superreview requested: [Bug 298737] newsgroups periodically lose unread count for messages whose headers haven't been downloaded : [Attachment 249378] adjust unread counts for message headers we don't
David Bienvenu <bienvenu@nventure.com> has asked Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> for superreview: Bug 298737: newsgroups periodically lose unread count for messages whose headers haven't been downloaded https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=298737 Attachment 249378: adjust unread counts for message headers we don't have, but just once for any given header https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=249378&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from David Bienvenu <bienvenu@nventure.com> this keeps track of the range of headers we'v...

superreview granted: [Bug 298737] newsgroups periodically lose unread count for messages whose headers haven't been downloaded : [Attachment 249378] adjust unread counts for message headers we don't h
Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> has granted David Bienvenu <bienvenu@nventure.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 298737: newsgroups periodically lose unread count for messages whose headers haven't been downloaded https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=298737 Attachment 249378: adjust unread counts for message headers we don't have, but just once for any given header https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=249378&action=edit ...

Thunderbird - paperclip shows up only after viewing the message
Hello, I recently switched to Thunderbird and really love it. However, I find two features pretty annoying. 1.) The paper clip indicating the presence of an attachment shows up only I have viewed the email. This is unpractical for searching and sorting emails as well as somehow dangerous, thanks to the virus mails. 2.) The arrow icons only allow to move to the next unread message. I believe it is much more useful to move to the next message in the list no matter if previously read or not. Of course, I have figured out the required keyboard shortcuts in the meantime. But for me...

Collapse folder tree to show unread messages or flagged messages
Name: Mark Dixon Email: markdotg.dixonatsun.com Product: Thunderbird Summary: Collapse folder tree to show unread messages or flagged messages Comments: I use a large folder tree to categorize all my messages. I use several filters to automatically place messages into those folders. It would be very helpful if there were an option to collapse the folder tree to show just the folders with unread messages. A similar function could show only those folders with flagged messages. Thanks, Mark Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gec...

getting to show validation message to show up before the onclick javascsript message box shows up?
Hi All,I have button which checks if a textbox has a required field validator on it. Also, on this button i have a javascript to show a messagebox. I would like to get the validation message to show up before the onclick event message shows up. At the moment it shows the javascript messagebox first.Any ideas? If you are doing Client-side validation (default option) on the validator, then why not change the validator to CustomValidator. Then, have the CustomValidator call the javascript method that would set IsValid=false for the CustomValidator and/or write any custom javascript you want....

Web resources about - Newsgroup shows 535 unread messages, none visible - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Netscape Mail & Newsgroups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Netscape Mail and Newsgroups , commonly known as just Netscape Mail , was an email and news client produced by Netscape Communications Corporation ...

Chinese newsgroup accused of extorting companies for coverage
Chinese newsgroup accused of extorting companies for coverage People's Daily Online Eight people from 21cbh.com, including the editor-in-chief, ...

NY attorney general gets more ISPs to block alt.* newsgroups
New York's Attorney General has turned his initial efforts against online …

ISPs agree to block access to child porn sites, newsgroups
Verizon, Sprint, and Time Warner Cable agree to block Internet newsgroups and Web sites nationwide that disseminate child pornography, according ...

Microsoft Plans Newsgroups Shutdown
Microsoft plans to close the more than 2,000 public newsgroups and 2,200 private newsgroups devoted to its various products and services. Discussions ...

NBCUniversal Newsgroup jobs - mediabistro.com
Jobs and recruiting for social media and traditional media professionals covering journalism, social media marketing, social games, web development, ...

Google Acquires Deja Newsgroup Service - Search Engine Watch (#SEW)
Google purchased the Deja newsgroup archives last month and is now running them within its own site. Despite saving the service, Google came ...

Best and latest newsgroup - Page 2 of 5 info
... Subscribers Breaking RapidShare Stops Washington Lobbying Efforts and Regains Pirate Stamp On: 21/02/2014 Comments: 48 All Results For: newsgroup ...

More ISPs Decide to Filter Usenet Newsgroups
... in pressuring AOL and AT&T to join the ranks of Verizon, Sprint, and Time Warner Cable in limiting access to many or all of the Usenet newsgroups ...

AOL ditches newsgroups
Lack of use Win a Samsung 40-inch LED HDTV with The Reg and HP! AOL is pulling the plug on servers hosting newsgroups. AOL subscribers will ...