New Tab #2

Why would someone, wanting to display a new tab, want it to come up with anything other than
their home page?   I must be missing something here.

--
croy
0

On 2/11/18 11:42 AM, croy wrote:
> Why would someone, wanting to display a new tab, want it to come up with anything other than
> their home page?   I must be missing something here.

How do you get a new tab in Thunderbird without opening an email in a
new tab?

--
Best name ever! Cadet Bone Spurs
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

0
WaltS48
2/11/2018 5:48:52 PM
On 02/11/2018 05:42 PM, croy wrote:
> Why would someone, wanting to display a new tab, want it to come up with anything other than
> their home page?   I must be missing something here.

What is your problem in the first place?

0
Christian
2/11/2018 5:56:33 PM
On 2018-02-11 11:42 AM, croy wrote:
> Why would someone, wanting to display a new tab, want it to come up with anything other than
> their home page?   I must be missing something here.

If I understand correctly, you're asking what the use-cases are for tabs
in Thunderbird.

* If you usually read messages in the message pane, open the message in
a new tab when you want the viewing area to be larger.

* Some people prefer not to display the message pane at all, and let the
message list take up the entire window (like Gmail). Double-clicking on
a message will open it in a new tab, allowing you to switch back to the
message list easily.

* If you want to switch between 2 or more folders, you can open each of
them in a new tab.

* When you conduct a search using the global search feature, opening the
results in a new tab allows you to keep access to your folder list.

There's probably more. :)

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 2/11/2018 8:42 AM, croy wrote:
> Why would someone, wanting to display a new tab, want it to come up with anything other than
> their home page?   I must be missing something here.

When I open a new tab in my browser, I do indeed expect to see my home
page unless I open the tab by selecting a link to a Web page.

When I open a new tab in Thunderbird, however, it is always for a
selected message.  Thus, I expect to see that message in the new tab,
not a home page.

Actually, I am not sure what a home page is in Thunderbird.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump:  Please stop using Twitter.  We need
to hear your voice and see you talking.  We need to know
when your message is really your own and not your attorney's.
0
David
2/11/2018 8:09:27 PM
On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 08:42:56 -0800, croy <hate@spam.invalid.net> wrote:

>Why would someone, wanting to display a new tab, want it to come up with anything other than
>their home page?   I must be missing something here.

My apologies--I meant to post in the Firefox group.

--
croy
0
On 2018-02-12 13:06, croy wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 08:42:56 -0800, croy <hate@spam.invalid.net> wrote:
>
>> Why would someone, wanting to display a new tab, want it to come up with anything other than
>> their home page?   I must be missing something here.
>

> My apologies--I meant to post in the Firefox group.

FWIW, I want a blank page.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
On 2/12/18 3:45 PM, Wolf K wrote:
> On 2018-02-12 13:06, croy wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 08:42:56 -0800, croy <hate@spam.invalid.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Why would someone, wanting to display a new tab, want it to come up
>>> with anything other than
>>> their home page?   I must be missing something here.
>>

>> My apologies--I meant to post in the Firefox group.
>>

> FWIW, I want a blank page.

Select the gear icon, remove all the check marks, select Done and the
page is 99.9% blank. Still has the Firefox icon in the upper left and
the gear icon in the upper right.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/58.0 ID:20180131010234

--
Best name ever! Cadet Bone Spurs
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

0
WaltS48
2/13/2018 1:07:35 AM
On 11/02/18 17:48, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 2/11/18 11:42 AM, croy wrote:
>> Why would someone, wanting to display a new tab, want it to come up with anything other than
>> their home page?   I must be missing something here.
>>
> How do you get a new tab in Thunderbird without opening an email in a
> new tab?

Right-click on a mail or news server account, folder or subfolder and
choose "Open in New Tab", but it comes to the same thing I guess.

You did ask...

--

Jeff
0