Mind gone black re pointing Thunderbird to my user profile before initial startup on new PC

I suppose the subject line says it all 🙂

A little more background: I'm in the process of setting up a new PC such
that it "looks and feels" essentially the same as my existing PC and I
can make the switch.

Everything is basically ready, i.e. the indispensable programs are
installed and my user data are/is in place, but I cannot for the life of
me remember how to point Thunderbird to my profile on initial startup on
the new PC 😵

I know what the command format is, i.e.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p Profilename

But where do I set the -p Profilename option before the initial launch? 🤔

Thank you.

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk
0
Herb
12/7/2017 11:41:56 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22175 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

--------------020401030500080209080500

On 07/12/2017 11:41, Herb@UK wrote:
> I suppose the subject line says it all 🙂
>
> A little more background: I'm in the process of setting up a new PC
> such that it "looks and feels" essentially the same as my existing PC
> and I can make the switch.
>
> Everything is basically ready, i.e. the indispensable programs are
> installed and my user data are/is in place, but I cannot for the life
> of me remember how to point Thunderbird to my profile on initial
> startup on the new PC 😵
>
> I know what the command format is, i.e.
>
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p
> Profilename
>
> But where do I set the -p Profilename option before the initial
> launch? 🤔
>
> Thank you.
>
> Herbert Eppel
> www.HETranslations.uk

There are better ways to move your profile on another machine but here I
will just answer your question.  To point to your profile selection, go
to the folder where thunderbird.exe file is located at the command
prompt.  For example, type cmd in the run box of your windows system.
then type these commands:

> C:\>*cd\*
>
> C:\>*cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird*
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird>*thunderbird -p*
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird>

You need the commands AFTER the C:\>

All commands are in bold assuming you read my posts in HTML formats.

Good luck.

--------------020401030500080209080500

  <head>
  </head>
cite="mid:mailman.6.1512646948.27116.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">I suppose the subject line says it all 🙂
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.HETranslations.uk">www.HETranslations.uk</a>
    There are better ways to move your profile on another machine but
    here I will just answer your question.  To point to your profile
    selection, go to the folder where thunderbird.exe file is located at
    the command prompt.  For example, type cmd in the run box of your
    windows system.  then type these commands:<br>
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird&gt;</blockquote>
    You need the commands AFTER the C:\&gt;<br>
    All commands are in bold assuming you read my posts in HTML formats.<br>
    Good luck.<br>
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>

--------------020401030500080209080500--
0
Good
12/7/2017 12:49:27 PM
On 07/12/2017 11:41, Herb@UK wrote:
> I suppose the subject line says it all =F0=9F=99=82
>=20
> A little more background: I'm in the process of setting up a new PC suc=
h=20
> that it "looks and feels" essentially the same as my existing PC and I =

> can make the switch.
>=20
> Everything is basically ready, i.e. the indispensable programs are=20
> installed and my user data are/is in place, but I cannot for the life o=
f=20
> me remember how to point Thunderbird to my profile on initial startup o=
n=20
> the new PC =F0=9F=98=B5
>=20
> I know what the command format is, i.e.
>=20
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p Profile=
name
>=20
> But where do I set the -p Profilename option before the initial launch?=
 =F0=9F=A4=94
>=20
> Thank you.
>=20
> Herbert Eppel
> www.HETranslations.uk
I think that I did this differently last time I moved from one computer=20
to another. I started Thunderbird and let it set up a profile on the new =

machine. Then copied my profile from the old machine to the new one,=20
using the (empty) profile that had just been set up.

--=20

Michael

0
Brighton
12/7/2017 12:50:26 PM
On 12/7/2017 7:50 AM, Brighton Rock wrote:
> On 07/12/2017 11:41, Herb@UK wrote:
>> I suppose the subject line says it all 🙂
>>
>> A little more background: I'm in the process of setting up a new PC
>> such that it "looks and feels" essentially the same as my existing PC
>> and I can make the switch.
>>
>> Everything is basically ready, i.e. the indispensable programs are
>> installed and my user data are/is in place, but I cannot for the life
>> of me remember how to point Thunderbird to my profile on initial
>> startup on the new PC 😵
>>
>> I know what the command format is, i.e.
>>
>> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p
>> Profilename
>>
>> But where do I set the -p Profilename option before the initial
>> launch? 🤔
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Herbert Eppel
>> www.HETranslations.uk
> I think that I did this differently last time I moved from one computer
> to another. I started Thunderbird and let it set up a profile on the new
> machine. Then copied my profile from the old machine to the new one,
> using the (empty) profile that had just been set up.

That is what I have done also

Just make sure you get both the Profile folder, which contains the
XXXXXXXX folders, and the Profile.ini file that directs TB to the
correct profile.

The are both in the same folder

C:\Users\userID\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird

0
Keith
12/7/2017 1:14:56 PM
On 07.12.2017 11:41, Herb@UK wrote:
> I suppose the subject line says it all 🙂
>
> A little more background: I'm in the process of setting up a new PC such
> that it "looks and feels" essentially the same as my existing PC and I
> can make the switch.
>
> Everything is basically ready, i.e. the indispensable programs are
> installed and my user data are/is in place, but I cannot for the life of
> me remember how to point Thunderbird to my profile on initial startup on
> the new PC 😵
>
> I know what the command format is, i.e.
>
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p Profilename
>
> But where do I set the -p Profilename option before the initial launch? 🤔

Thanks to Good Guy, Michael and Keith for your reply, which helped to
jog my memory.

The "trick" I used in the past (and successfully again just now) is to
let the new Thunderbird installation set up a new profile *name* and at
the same time point it to existing profile *data*.

You can then start Thunderbird with the custom profile and live happily
ever after 😇

See screenshots at
http://www.evernote.com/l/ACveTCdOTzRA9LsPs22vEUM6heBBjlhoEBY/

Herbert Eppel