Messages not being deleted on sever after download

I have a pop email account with Frontier/Yahoo email.

What's happening:   In Thunderbird's server settings, for this account,
the checkbox for leaving messages on the server is unchecked.  Which in
the (distant) past always deleted the messages from the server... Now my
downloaded messages remain, and accumulate on the server- and I have to
log into Yahoo's web mail to delete the old messages. Cleaing those old
emails off the server is becoming a chore.   I store all my downloaded
email that I wish to keep locally in Thunderbird.

I'm not sure this  issue is caused by Thunderbird - or Yahoo's email
server not honoring my settings; but I'd appreciate if someone can help
me determine this is caused by Thunderbird, or if it's most likely
something Yahoo is doing.

Thanks,
Bill
--
Email address is a Spam trap.
0

On 2/13/2018 8:57 PM, Bill wrote:
> In Thunderbird's server settings, for this account,
> the checkbox for leaving messages on the server is unchecked.  Which in
> the (distant) past always deleted the messages from the server... Now my
> downloaded messages remain, and accumulate on the server

Odd, I have mine checked to leave messages on the server and they are
deleted.

I'm not concerned as I actually want that to happen (eventually), so I
just turned off the automatic download so I had to hit the "get
messages" button.

0
Big
2/14/2018 1:01:01 AM
On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:57:03 -0500, Bill wrote:

> I have a pop email account with Frontier/Yahoo email.
>
> What's happening:   In Thunderbird's server settings, for this account,
> the checkbox for leaving messages on the server is unchecked.  Which in
> the (distant) past always deleted the messages from the server... Now my
> downloaded messages remain, and accumulate on the server- and I have to
> log into Yahoo's web mail to delete the old messages. Cleaing those old
> emails off the server is becoming a chore.   I store all my downloaded
> email that I wish to keep locally in Thunderbird.
>
> I'm not sure this  issue is caused by Thunderbird - or Yahoo's email
> server not honoring my settings; but I'd appreciate if someone can help
> me determine this is caused by Thunderbird, or if it's most likely
> something Yahoo is doing.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

I should have added this is Thunderbird 52.6.0 (32 bit) on a Win 10 pro
x64 machine.
--
Email address is a Spam trap.
0

 I didn't realize that  filtering messages into folders in Thunderbird
causes the ones that have been sorted into folders to not be deleted
after they've been downloaded.  What was missing is:  I needed to add an
action in each filter/folder to delete the message the message from the
pop server.

Bill

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:57:03 -0500, Bill wrote:

> I have a pop email account with Frontier/Yahoo email.

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
0
Bill
2/14/2018 2:28:46 AM
On 2018-02-14 02:47, Big Al wrote:
> On 2/13/2018 8:57 PM, Bill wrote:
>> In Thunderbird's server settings, for this account,
>> the checkbox for leaving messages on the server is unchecked.  Which in
>> the (distant) past always deleted the messages from the server... Now my
>> downloaded messages remain, and accumulate on the server
>
> Odd, I have mine checked to leave messages on the server and they are
> deleted.
>
> I'm not concerned as I actually want that to happen (eventually), so I
> just turned off the automatic download so I had to hit the "get
> messages" button.

A comment:

AFAIK, your email provider has a default setting for keeping messages.
So may well ignore email client request to delete unless and until you
change that default setting.

Best,

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
On 2018-02-13 21:28, Bill wrote:
> I think I got it solved.
>
>   I didn't realize that  filtering messages into folders in Thunderbird
> causes the ones that have been sorted into folders to not be deleted
> after they've been downloaded.  What was missing is:  I needed to add an
> action in each filter/folder to delete the message the message from the
> pop server.
>
> Bill

Interesting, may be related to the way Tbird "deletes" messages from
folders, etc. (It doesn't, until you Compact). Any message filtered on
receipt is AFAIK first stored in Inbox.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 09:11:46 -0500, Wolf K wrote:

> On 2018-02-13 21:28, Bill wrote:
>> I think I got it solved.
>>
>>   I didn't realize that  filtering messages into folders in Thunderbird
>> causes the ones that have been sorted into folders to not be deleted
>> after they've been downloaded.  What was missing is:  I needed to add an
>> action in each filter/folder to delete the message the message from the
>> pop server.
>>
>> Bill
>
> Interesting, may be related to the way Tbird "deletes" messages from
> folders, etc. (It doesn't, until you Compact). Any message filtered on
> receipt is AFAIK first stored in Inbox.

I was wrong - it didn't work.  I was so hopeful.

My money is on this being a ISP/Yahoo issue.
I'll wager that Tbird is sending the appropriate message to my pop
server - and that they're not honoring the requests at their end.
They do move the downloaded messages to the trash bin; but they're not
ever deleted unless I use their web interface.

It's not the only annoayance I have with them... They also insist on
filtering a good number of my incoming emails as spam  against my wishes
- and give me no option to turn their filtering off.

If I were paranoid, I'd say they were seeking to annoy me enough to
abandon using my own email client and to use their web-mail... If I were
paranoid... ;-)
- -
Email address is a Spam trap.
0
Bill
2/14/2018 3:39:03 PM
On 2/14/2018 9:10 AM, Wolf K wrote:
> On 2018-02-14 02:47, Big Al wrote:
>> On 2/13/2018 8:57 PM, Bill wrote:
>>> In Thunderbird's server settings, for this account,
>>> the checkbox for leaving messages on the server is unchecked.  Which in
>>> the (distant) past always deleted the messages from the server... Now my
>>> downloaded messages remain, and accumulate on the server
>>
>> Odd, I have mine checked to leave messages on the server and they are
>> deleted.
>>
>> I'm not concerned as I actually want that to happen (eventually), so I
>> just turned off the automatic download so I had to hit the "get
>> messages" button.
>
> A comment:
>
> AFAIK, your email provider has a default setting for keeping messages.
> So may well ignore email client request to delete unless and until you
> change that default setting.
>
> Best,

It's worth a look, thanks.

0