mailnews.reply_header_type

In the Config Editor, accessible only after clicking "I'll be
careful, I promise", there is an item called
"mailnews.reply_header_type" that may be assigned one of the numeric
values 1, 2, or 3 pointing to three different formats, i.e.

      1 to mailnews.reply_header_autorwrotesingle,
      2 to mailnews.reply_header_ondate author wrote, and
      3 to mailnews.reply_header_autorwroteondate.

Posting to newsgroups and exchanging mails in three languages (de,
it, en), I have prepared three reply headers in three languages,
which I can invoke by changing the numeric value of
"mailnews.reply_header_type".

Finding it a little bit boring to have always to invoke the Config
Editor for performing this change, I would be grateful if somebody
had an idea of how to simplify it.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Wolfgang
0
Wolfgang
1/10/2017 5:13:23 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 21920 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Wolfgang wrote:
> Posting to newsgroups and exchanging mails in three languages (de, it,
> en), I have prepared three reply headers in three languages, which I can
> invoke by changing the numeric value of "mailnews.reply_header_type".
>
> Finding it a little bit boring to have always to invoke the Config
> Editor for performing this change, I would be grateful if somebody
> had an idea of how to simplify it.

Maybe this:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/smarttemplate4/
SmartTemplate4 offers an easy way to automatically create customized
replies by auto-inserting various mail headers.

--
Mike Easter
0
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:48 +0100, Mike Easter wrote:

> Wolfgang wrote:
>>
>> Posting to newsgroups and exchanging mails in three languages
>> (de, it, en), I have prepared three reply headers in three
>> languages, which I can invoke by changing the numeric value
>> of "mailnews.reply_header_type".
>>
>> Finding it a little bit boring to have always to invoke the
>> Config Editor for performing this change, I would be grateful
>> if somebody had an idea of how to simplify it.
>
> Maybe this:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/smarttemplate4/
> SmartTemplate4 offers an easy way to automatically create customized
> replies by auto-inserting various mail headers.

I have opened the URL indicated, downloaded a file named
smarttemplate4-1.3.1-tb+sm.xpi, and tried to follow the
instructions, which say:

1. Download and save the file to your hard disk.
2. In Mozilla Thunderbird, open Add-ons from the Tools menu.
3. From the options button next to the add-on search field, select
    "Install Add-on From File..." and locate the downloaded add-on.

Since there is no "options button" in the Add-ons submenu, I failed
to follow the third instruction.

I use the Linux version of Thunderbird. Is it possible that the
Windows version has such a buttin in the Add-ons submenu?

But thank you anyway.

Bye,
Wolfgang

0
Wolfgang
1/10/2017 9:28:43 PM
On 1/10/17 4:28 PM, Wolfgang wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:48 +0100, Mike Easter wrote:
>>
>> Wolfgang wrote:
>>>
>>> Posting to newsgroups and exchanging mails in three languages
>>> (de, it, en), I have prepared three reply headers in three
>>> languages, which I can invoke by changing the numeric value
>>> of "mailnews.reply_header_type".
>>>
>>> Finding it a little bit boring to have always to invoke the
>>> Config Editor for performing this change, I would be grateful
>>> if somebody had an idea of how to simplify it.
>>
>> Maybe this:
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/smarttemplate4/
>> SmartTemplate4 offers an easy way to automatically create customized
>> replies by auto-inserting various mail headers.
>
> I have opened the URL indicated, downloaded a file named
> smarttemplate4-1.3.1-tb+sm.xpi, and tried to follow the instructions,
> which say:
>
> 1. Download and save the file to your hard disk.
> 2. In Mozilla Thunderbird, open Add-ons from the Tools menu.
> 3. From the options button next to the add-on search field, select
>    "Install Add-on From File..." and locate the downloaded add-on.
>
> Since there is no "options button" in the Add-ons submenu, I failed to
> follow the third instruction.
>
> I use the Linux version of Thunderbird. Is it possible that the
> Windows version has such a buttin in the Add-ons submenu?
>
> But thank you anyway.
>
> Bye,
> Wolfgang

In the Mac OS X version, the "button" is the gear shaped icon. Pop it
open and "Install Add-on From File" appears.
0
Reed
1/10/2017 9:42:31 PM
Wolfgang wrote:
> I have opened the URL indicated, downloaded a file named
> smarttemplate4-1.3.1-tb+sm.xpi, and tried to follow the instructions,
> which say:
>
> 1. Download and save the file to your hard disk.
> 2. In Mozilla Thunderbird, open Add-ons from the Tools menu.
> 3. From the options button next to the add-on search field, select
>    "Install Add-on From File..." and locate the downloaded add-on.
>
> Since there is no "options button" in the Add-ons submenu, I failed to
> follow the third instruction.
>
> I use the Linux version of Thunderbird. Is it possible that the Windows
> version has such a buttin in the Add-ons submenu?

I'm using a linux Tb 45.5.1 (current for my distro's repos).

When I use Tools/ Add-ons with Add-ons Manager in the titlebar of the
window and Get Add-ons in the L panel, at the top R I see a little
'gear' icon with menu arrow just to the left of the search field.

Displaying that menu with the arrow function has the item 'Install
add-on from file' which will open a little file manager for you to
navigate and select your add-on file.

--
Mike Easter
0
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 23:00 +0100, Mike Easter wrote:

> Wolfgang wrote:
>>
>> I have opened the URL indicated, downloaded a file named
>> smarttemplate4-1.3.1-tb+sm.xpi, and tried to follow the
>> instructions, which say:
>>
>> 1. Download and save the file to your hard disk.
>> 2. In Mozilla Thunderbird, open Add-ons from the Tools menu.
>> 3. From the options button next to the add-on search field, select
>>    "Install Add-on From File..." and locate the downloaded add-on.
>>
>> Since there is no "options button" in the Add-ons submenu,
>> I failed to follow the third instruction.
>>
>> I use the Linux version of Thunderbird. Is it possible that
>> the Windows version has such a buttin in the Add-ons submenu?
>
> I'm using a linux Tb 45.5.1 (current for my distro's repos).
>
> When I use Tools/ Add-ons with Add-ons Manager in the titlebar of
> the window and Get Add-ons in the L panel, at the top R I see a
> little 'gear' icon with menu arrow just to the left of the search
> field.
>
> Displaying that menu with the arrow function has the item 'Install
> add-on from file' which will open a little file manager for you to
> navigate and select your add-on file.

Thank you. I found the gear icon and easily managed to install
SmartTemplate4.

Then I tried to program the reply header using the following
instruction: "On %a%, %e% %b% %Y% %H%:%M%:%S% %date_tz%, %from% wrote:"

But unfortunately this instruction reproduces my own date and time
instead of those of the mail I reply to.  So I had to disable
SmartTemplate4. It's a pity!

Bye,
Wolfgang

0
Wolfgang
1/10/2017 10:45:33 PM
Wolfgang wrote:
> Then I tried to program the reply header using the following
> instruction: "On %a%, %e% %b% %Y% %H%:%M%:%S% %date_tz%, %from% wrote:"
>
> But unfortunately this instruction reproduces my own date and time
> instead of those of the mail I reply to.

 From the developer's support page on variable use:

http://smarttemplate4.mozdev.org/variables.html  %date% = Date / Time
(same as original 'Mailheader')

But, I don't think that solves your goal of variable lang/locale flavoring.

--
Mike Easter
0
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 at 00:03:36 +0100, Mike Easter wrote:
On 01/11/17 00:03, Mike Easter wrote:

> Wolfgang wrote:
>>
>> Then I tried to program the reply header using the
>> following instruction:
>> "On %a%, %e% %b% %Y% %H%:%M%:%S% %date_tz%, %from% wrote:"
>>
>> But unfortunately this instruction reproduces my own
>> date and time instead of those of the mail I reply to.
>
> From the developer's support page on variable use:
>
> http://smarttemplate4.mozdev.org/variables.html
> %date% = Date / Time (same as original 'Mailheader')
>
> But, I don't think that solves your goal of variable
> lang/locale flavoring.

It does not, you're right. But, anyway, the developer's support
page, whose URL you have given above, has taught me programming the
instruction for a correct reply head line.  The instruction

On%X:=sent% %a%, %e% %b% %Y% at %H%:%M%:%S% %date_tz%, %from% wrote:

has generated the first line shown above.  The second line, which is
the original head line supplied by Thunderbird, may be suppressed,
of course, but I have left it there for comparison.

Bye,
Wolfgang

0
Wolfgang