Local Folders to IMAP question

Hi All,

I have a customer with about 300 folders in Local Folders
(36 GB worth) that I need to transfer into her IMAP
account.

She has a main folder with about five sub-folders
and about 300 sub-sub folders in the sub folders.

I tried dragging and dropping the main folder and it
only copied over about five of the sub-sub folders
and stopped, never to restart.  The same with the sub
folders.  So I have been relegated to dragging them two
at a time.  More than that ignores me.  It is a complete
pain in the ass.

I tried stopping Thunderbird and copying a few folders
from Local Folders to the right position in her IMAP
folders.  When I restart Thunderbird, Thunderbird just
erases them.

Am I stick dragging and dropping them two at a time?

Many thanks,
-T

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




0
T
5/13/2018 7:58:06 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22506 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

19 Replies
65 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 9

On 2018-05-13 3:58 PM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
> 
> I have a customer with about 300 folders in Local Folders
> (36 GB worth) that I need to transfer into her IMAP
> account.
> 
> She has a main folder with about five sub-folders
> and about 300 sub-sub folders in the sub folders.
> 
> I tried dragging and dropping the main folder and it
> only copied over about five of the sub-sub folders
> and stopped, never to restart.  The same with the sub
> folders.  So I have been relegated to dragging them two
> at a time.  More than that ignores me.  It is a complete
> pain in the ass.
> 
> I tried stopping Thunderbird and copying a few folders
> from Local Folders to the right position in her IMAP
> folders.  When I restart Thunderbird, Thunderbird just
> erases them.
> 
> Am I stick dragging and dropping them two at a time?
> 
> Many thanks,

36GB is a large amount of data. Most accounts have a limit around 
1-15GB. I would first confirm that that IMAP account has a size limit of 
at least 36GB.

 From that point, it will then depend on the upload speed of the 
connection.

With that in mind, I would move one folder at a time.

-- 
<http://ilias.ca/links>
Mailing list/Newsgroup moderator
0
Chris
5/14/2018 3:24:49 AM
On 05/13/2018 08:24 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2018-05-13 3:58 PM, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a customer with about 300 folders in Local Folders
>> (36 GB worth) that I need to transfer into her IMAP
>> account.
>>
>> She has a main folder with about five sub-folders
>> and about 300 sub-sub folders in the sub folders.
>>
>> I tried dragging and dropping the main folder and it
>> only copied over about five of the sub-sub folders
>> and stopped, never to restart.=C2=A0 The same with the sub
>> folders.=C2=A0 So I have been relegated to dragging them two
>> at a time.=C2=A0 More than that ignores me.=C2=A0 It is a complete
>> pain in the ass.
>>
>> I tried stopping Thunderbird and copying a few folders
>> from Local Folders to the right position in her IMAP
>> folders.=C2=A0 When I restart Thunderbird, Thunderbird just
>> erases them.
>>
>> Am I stick dragging and dropping them two at a time?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>=20
> 36GB is a large amount of data. Most accounts have a limit around=20
> 1-15GB. I would first confirm that that IMAP account has a size limit o=
f=20
> at least 36GB.

She bought 1 TB

>  From that point, it will then depend on the upload speed of the=20
> connection.

It drag and drop multiple folders.  It just picks out the
first two through five and then stops.

>=20
> With that in mind, I would move one folder at a time.

I was hoping you would NOT say that!



0
T
5/14/2018 3:43:16 AM
T <ToddMargoChester@invalid.invalid> Wrote in message:
...

>> 
>> With that in mind, I would move one folder at a time.
> 
> I was hoping you would NOT say that!

Does she really need all 36 GB in the IMAP account ? 

It looks to me as she needs some purging and archiving. Working
 with such a huge account may cause troubles.

It often looks to me some server/client implementation use some
 timeouts and if it is  triggered, operation is silently
 ceased.

Therefore, if I move emails among different IMAP folders, I never
 move more than few hundreds at once, even if they are
 small.

-- 
Libor Striz


----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
0
Libor
5/14/2018 4:37:51 AM
On 05/13/2018 09:37 PM, Libor Striz wrote:
> T <ToddMargoChester@invalid.invalid> Wrote in message:
> ..
> 
>>>
>>> With that in mind, I would move one folder at a time.
>>
>> I was hoping you would NOT say that!
> 
> Does she really need all 36 GB in the IMAP account ?

For some odd reason, she put her entire business on pop3
Outlook.  And I really mean everything.  Nine years worth.
I she really does have to have it.  (This is a first.  Most
of the time it is just hoarders.)  And her hard drive
corrupted.  Quelle surprise!

I am about the fifth consultant that has tried to rescue
her.  The rest gave up.   All of the outlook export
utilities crashed do to the bad hard drive.  I managed
to get her imported into Thunderbird, but into her
local folders.  She is now using a new computer.

Now I am trying to get 64 GB of stuff into her imap
account I created.

And, she doesn't like learning anything new!  So
far I have every issue she has with Thunderbird
solved.  She really likes the Templates feature.
But all the newness is wearing on her.

Both me and her trusted web designer told her she
must learn Thunderbird.  We are dragging her kicking
and screaming, figuratively.

I seriously wish folks would stop using Outlook.

> 
> It looks to me as she needs some purging and archiving. Working
>   with such a huge account may cause troubles.
> 
> It often looks to me some server/client implementation use some
>   timeouts and if it is  triggered, operation is silently
>   ceased.
> 
> Therefore, if I move emails among different IMAP folders, I never
>   move more than few hundreds at once, even if they are
>   small.

That is going to take FOREVER !!!!


0
T
5/14/2018 5:41:55 AM
T <ToddMargoChester@invalid.invalid> Wrote in message:
> 
> 
> 
> 


>> Therefore, if I move emails among different IMAP folders, I never
>>   move more than few hundreds at once, even if they are
>>   small.
> 
> That is going to take FOREVER !!!!

Let's hope she pays for an hour.. :-)

The only other idea in my mind, if loading the IMAP account is the
 must,
is to achieve some special agreement with email provider to load
 it on the server side. But it seems improbable.

-- 
Libor Striz


----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
0
Libor
5/14/2018 6:20:38 AM
I did it into a local imap server (hmailserver on win)which was less painful than your report. Did ca 20 GB.
(Outlook to TB to imap)

Next i would try imapsize to get it from one imap to another.
Klaus
0
opto
5/14/2018 6:24:13 AM
On 05/13/18 21:58, T wrote:

> I tried dragging and dropping the main folder and it
> only copied over about five of the sub-sub folders
> and stopped, never to restart.  The same with the sub
> folders.  So I have been relegated to dragging them two
> at a time.  More than that ignores me.  It is a complete
> pain in the ass.

I think this is one of the more critical and more long standing bug in 
ThunderBird.

You try copying a big amount of mail, it starts working then stops: no 
error, no dialog box, only half work done... and you think everything 
went fine.

I've done this kind of transfer many times and I always had to do the 
copy in chunk and (after I was burned the first time) double check every 
message was transferred.

  bye
	av.
0
Andrea
5/14/2018 8:01:41 AM
On 05/14/2018 01:01 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 05/13/18 21:58, T wrote:
>=20
>> I tried dragging and dropping the main folder and it
>> only copied over about five of the sub-sub folders
>> and stopped, never to restart.=C2=A0 The same with the sub
>> folders.=C2=A0 So I have been relegated to dragging them two
>> at a time.=C2=A0 More than that ignores me.=C2=A0 It is a complete
>> pain in the ass.
>=20
> I think this is one of the more critical and more long standing bug in =

> ThunderBird.
>=20
> You try copying a big amount of mail, it starts working then stops: no =

> error, no dialog box, only half work done... and you think everything=20
> went fine.
>=20
> I've done this kind of transfer many times and I always had to do the=20
> copy in chunk and (after I was burned the first time) double check ever=
y=20
> message was transferred.
>=20
>  =C2=A0bye
>  =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0av.

Bummer.  I was afraid of that.  This is going to take me hours over
days and days

0
T
5/14/2018 9:21:48 AM
On Mon May 14 2018 05:21:48 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), T
<ToddMargoChester@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Bummer.  I was afraid of that.  This is going to take me hours over
> days and days

One other option... install a local IMAP server, move the messages to
it, then use IMAPSync to do the IMAP > IMAP migration.

Since she is probably on Windows, maybe something like:

https://www.hmailserver.com/

Or, if you have the knowledge/experience and she has the local
resources, set up a linux based one...
0
Tanstaafl
5/14/2018 12:29:19 PM
T wrote:
> I seriously wish folks would stop using Outlook.

Even Outleak is not as bad as not making backups.

-p

0
PietB
5/14/2018 7:24:50 PM
On 05/13/2018 12:58 PM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>=20
> I have a customer with about 300 folders in Local Folders
> (36 GB worth) that I need to transfer into her IMAP
> account.
>=20
> She has a main folder with about five sub-folders
> and about 300 sub-sub folders in the sub folders.
>=20
> I tried dragging and dropping the main folder and it
> only copied over about five of the sub-sub folders
> and stopped, never to restart.=C2=A0 The same with the sub
> folders.=C2=A0 So I have been relegated to dragging them two
> at a time.=C2=A0 More than that ignores me.=C2=A0 It is a complete
> pain in the ass.
>=20
> I tried stopping Thunderbird and copying a few folders
> from Local Folders to the right position in her IMAP
> folders.=C2=A0 When I restart Thunderbird, Thunderbird just
> erases them.
>=20
> Am I stick dragging and dropping them two at a time?
>=20
> Many thanks,
> -T
>=20

Follow up:  I taught her how to do it.

:-)

0
T
5/15/2018 5:41:58 AM
Does Outlook make each 'folder' a single file in the same format as 
Thunderbird?  If so, perhaps the brute-force method of simply copying 
this (or these) file(s) to the appropriate place in each device (so that 
they would be available on all devices) and then converting the account 
to IMAP from then on would suffice.  Delete the .msf files and let them 
be rebuilt.  Probably other stuff would need to be done too, but writing 
big files to a thumb drive is faster than writing them to The Cloud.

-- 
Cheers, Bev
     It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.
0
The
5/15/2018 6:10:33 AM
On 05/14/2018 01:01 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> I think this is one of the more critical and more long standing bug in 
> ThunderBird.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=538591
0
T
5/15/2018 11:55:12 AM
On 05/14/2018 11:10 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Does Outlook make each 'folder' a single file in the same format as=20
> Thunderbird?=C2=A0 If so, perhaps the brute-force method of simply copy=
ing=20
> this (or these) file(s) to the appropriate place in each device (so tha=
t=20
> they would be available on all devices) and then converting the account=
=20
> to IMAP from then on would suffice.=C2=A0 Delete the .msf files and let=
 them=20
> be rebuilt.=C2=A0 Probably other stuff would need to be done too, but w=
riting=20
> big files to a thumb drive is faster than writing them to The Cloud.
>=20

I have tried "brute force".  Thunderbird just erases them when your
restart Thunderbird.

:'(

0
T
5/15/2018 10:36:03 PM
On 05/15/2018 03:36 PM, T wrote:
> On 05/14/2018 11:10 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Does Outlook make each 'folder' a single file in the same format as
>> Thunderbird?  If so, perhaps the brute-force method of simply copying
>> this (or these) file(s) to the appropriate place in each device (so that
>> they would be available on all devices) and then converting the account
>> to IMAP from then on would suffice.  Delete the .msf files and let them
>> be rebuilt.  Probably other stuff would need to be done too, but writing
>> big files to a thumb drive is faster than writing them to The Cloud.
>>
>
> I have tried "brute force".  Thunderbird just erases them when your
> restart Thunderbird.

Was that transferring a TB file to TB or an Outlook file to TB?

I was just guessing there.  I've got some pine email saved from 20 years 
ago that I've never done anything with, just saved the files somewhere...

-- 
Cheers, Bev
   "Calling someone an asshole for being rude to a telemarketer
    is like accusing someone who's shot a burglar in his home
    of being a poor host."                        -- W.S.Rowell

0
The
5/16/2018 5:46:59 AM
*-* On Sun, 13 May 2018, at 12:58:06 -0700,
*-* In Article 
<mailman.172.1526241518.2161.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org>,
*-* T wrote
*-* About Local Folders to IMAP question

> Hi All,

> I have a customer with about 300 folders in Local Folders (36 GB
> worth) that I need to transfer into her IMAP account.

> She has a main folder with about five sub-folders and about 300
> sub-sub folders in the sub folders.

> I tried dragging and dropping the main folder and it only copied
> over about five of the sub-sub folders and stopped, never to
> restart.  The same with the sub folders.  So I have been relegated
> to dragging them two at a time.  More than that ignores me.  It is
> a complete pain in the ass.

      SDITPPOTA  (Severe Discomfort In The Posterior Portion Of The
Anatomy)

> I tried stopping Thunderbird and copying a few folders from Local
> Folders to the right position in her IMAP folders.  When I restart
> Thunderbird, Thunderbird just erases them.

> Am I stick dragging and dropping them two at a time?

      Instead of drag-and-drop have you tried  right-click --> copy  to
see if that works any better?

> Many thanks,

      You're welcome.

                                         Ken Whiton
-- 
     FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
0
Ken
5/16/2018 7:49:55 AM
On 05/15/2018 10:46 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Was that transferring a TB file to TB or an Outlook file to TB?

The folder and msf files were about 24 meg.  I did
not try to transfer the entire thing
0
T
5/16/2018 2:53:28 PM
On 05/16/2018 12:49 AM, Ken Whiton wrote:
> Instead of drag-and-drop have you tried=C2=A0 right-click --> copy=C2=A0=
 to
> see if that works any better?


There is no copy to in the right click menu.  It is
really annoying.

Once they get into the IMAP account, then move to and copy
to are present

0
T
5/16/2018 2:55:06 PM
On 16/05/18 16:55, T wrote:
> On 05/16/2018 12:49 AM, Ken Whiton wrote:
>> Instead of drag-and-drop have you tried  right-click --> copy  to
>> see if that works any better?
>
>
> There is no copy to in the right click menu.  It is
> really annoying.

There is in the header pane, not when you right click on the folder. So
mark all emails in one folder (Ctrl+A) and copy.

Did you read my suggestion in my other post? Looks easier to me.
0
Thomas
5/17/2018 2:09:52 PM
Reply: