Jump to directory

I have a zillion directories in my email account.

>From time to time, I would like to move a message from my INBOX to one
of those directories.

So far, what I do now is scroll and scroll and scroll some more. Is
there a way to just jump to a certain directory?

Thanks.
0
Cy
10/11/2017 3:47:54 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22181 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On 10/11/2017 at 11:47 AM, Cy Burnot created this epitome of digital genius:
> I have a zillion directories in my email account.
>
>>From time to time, I would like to move a message from my INBOX to one
> of those directories.
>
> So far, what I do now is scroll and scroll and scroll some more. Is
> there a way to just jump to a certain directory?
>
> Thanks.

Don't know if it helps but you can right-click on a message and navigate
to Move to/Copy to.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
Cy Burnot wrote:
> I have a zillion directories in my email account.
>
>>From time to time, I would like to move a message from my INBOX to one
> of those directories.
>
> So far, what I do now is scroll and scroll and scroll some more. Is
> there a way to just jump to a certain directory?

Not as far as I'm aware. The only work-around that I can think of would
be using the search tool, for something that you know that is in a
particular folder. Then click on the message, and select Open In Folder.

I'm not sure if that's going to be significantly easier than simply
scrolling through the folders list.

On the other hand, if there's a handful of deeply-buried folders that
you need to get to frequently, you could go a step further, and save
your search as a search folder, and put the search folder in your Inbox.

One technical niggle... In this context, "directory" is a term that's
applied to your file system. In email, that's a "folder". With GUI
display, visually, they're pretty much the same, but in working with
email, "directory" is more likely to be in reference to the underlying
storage structure (or in relation to your address book, especially one
that connects to an LDAP server).

Smith
0
NFN
10/11/2017 4:28:42 PM
NFN Smith wrote on 10/11/2017 12:28 PM:
> Cy Burnot wrote:
>> I have a zillion directories in my email account.
>>
>>>From time to time, I would like to move a message from my INBOX to one
>> of those directories.
>>
>> So far, what I do now is scroll and scroll and scroll some more. Is
>> there a way to just jump to a certain directory?
>
> Not as far as I'm aware. The only work-around that I can think of would
> be using the search tool, for something that you know that is in a
> particular folder. Then click on the message, and select Open In Folder.
>
> I'm not sure if that's going to be significantly easier than simply
> scrolling through the folders list.
>
> On the other hand, if there's a handful of deeply-buried folders that
> you need to get to frequently, you could go a step further, and save
> your search as a search folder, and put the search folder in your Inbox.
>
> One technical niggle... In this context, "directory" is a term that's
> applied to your file system. In email, that's a "folder". With GUI
> display, visually, they're pretty much the same, but in working with
> email, "directory" is more likely to be in reference to the underlying
> storage structure (or in relation to your address book, especially one
> that connects to an LDAP server).
>
> Smith

Thanks.

As long as we're picking nits....Every entity listed directly under your
account is actually a file. Every entity listed under one of those is a
directory with a .sbd extension.

Anyway, TB uses a folder icon for all of the above so I wouldn't be
remiss in calling them "folders". Whatever.
0
Cy
10/11/2017 5:09:24 PM
On 10/11/2017 8:47 AM, Cy Burnot wrote:
> I have a zillion directories in my email account.
>
>>From time to time, I would like to move a message from my INBOX to one
> of those directories.
>
> So far, what I do now is scroll and scroll and scroll some more. Is
> there a way to just jump to a certain directory?
>
> Thanks.

If you right-click on a message, you get a lengthy pull-down context
menu.  Below the midpoint, there is a section beginning with Archive and
ending with Delete Message.  Key to your question are the three items
between those.

Move To effectively lists all of your folders.  Where a folder has
subfolders, moving your cursor to the folder launches another context
menu.  You can move messages -- even groups of messages -- by selecting
the folder, subfolder, sub-subfolder, etc.

More important, the top of the Move To context menu has Recent.  Moving
your cursor to that item, launches a context menu that is a subset of
your folders, listing those to which you most recent moved messages.

Also in the main context menu just above Delete Message, you will see
Move To with the name of the folder to which you last moved a message.
Selecting that moves the message to the named folder.

Another item in the main context menu is Copy To.  This works the same
as Move To but copies the message instead of moving it.  That is, a copy
of the message remains where it was.  The Move To item with the name of
the folder to which you last moved a message changes to a Copy To item
with that folder's name.

I suggest you reduce the number of main folders by making some of them
subfolders.  This can simplify moving messages from one folder to another.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

By allowing employers to eliminate coverage for birth control
from their insurance plans, President Trump has guaranteed there
will be an increase in the demand for abortions.
0
David
10/11/2017 6:09:32 PM
Cy Burnot wrote:

> I have a zillion directories in my email account.

It might help if you structured the email folders, e.g. by making A..Z
top level folders, or making e.g. "friends", "purchases", "home",
"work", "car" whatever folders, rather than a flat structure?

0
Andy
10/11/2017 6:46:45 PM
Andy Burns wrote on 10/11/2017 2:46 PM:
> Cy Burnot wrote:
>
>> I have a zillion directories in my email account.
>
> It might help if you structured the email folders, e.g. by making A..Z
> top level folders, or making e.g. "friends", "purchases", "home",
> "work", "car" whatever folders, rather than a flat structure?

I guess I implied a flat structure. I already have trees.

Thanks.
0
Cy
10/11/2017 8:39:32 PM
David E. Ross wrote on 10/11/2017 2:09 PM:
> On 10/11/2017 8:47 AM, Cy Burnot wrote:
>> I have a zillion directories in my email account.
>>
>>>From time to time, I would like to move a message from my INBOX to one
>> of those directories.
>>
>> So far, what I do now is scroll and scroll and scroll some more. Is
>> there a way to just jump to a certain directory?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> If you right-click on a message, you get a lengthy pull-down context
> menu.  Below the midpoint, there is a section beginning with Archive and
> ending with Delete Message.  Key to your question are the three items
> between those.
>
> Move To effectively lists all of your folders.  Where a folder has
> subfolders, moving your cursor to the folder launches another context
> menu.  You can move messages -- even groups of messages -- by selecting
> the folder, subfolder, sub-subfolder, etc.
>
> More important, the top of the Move To context menu has Recent.  Moving
> your cursor to that item, launches a context menu that is a subset of
> your folders, listing those to which you most recent moved messages.
>
> Also in the main context menu just above Delete Message, you will see
> Move To with the name of the folder to which you last moved a message.
> Selecting that moves the message to the named folder.
>
> Another item in the main context menu is Copy To.  This works the same
> as Move To but copies the message instead of moving it.  That is, a copy
> of the message remains where it was.  The Move To item with the name of
> the folder to which you last moved a message changes to a Copy To item
> with that folder's name.
>
> I suggest you reduce the number of main folders by making some of them
> subfolders.  This can simplify moving messages from one folder to another.

Familiar with that. Already have a tree. Thanks.
0
Cy