is there a way to flush all newsgroups subscribed to ?

Is there a way to flush all newsgroups subscribed to ?

I am using the Eternal-September news server.
    http://www.eternal-september.org/

I would like to flush all newsgroups without unsubscribing and
subscribing to all 30 newsgroups that I am subscribed to.

Apparently, in the last couple of years, one of E-S and TB have changed
their caching of newsgroup articles.  E-S now reports many newsgroup
articles as non existing when they do exist.  I have no idea of where
the bug is at.  I see the error message as follows:

"Error!
newsgroup server responded:No such article number 15"

"Perhaps the article has expired"

"<ncuq31$kcr$1@dont-email.me> (15)"

"Click here to remove all expired articles"

Thanks,
Lynn
0
Lynn

--------------DC0215715D624323700C5475

On 05/03/2018 20:30, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Is there a way to flush all newsgroups subscribed to ?
>
> I am using the Eternal-September news server.
>    http://www.eternal-september.org/
>
> I would like to flush all newsgroups without unsubscribing and
> subscribing to all 30 newsgroups that I am subscribed to.
>
> Apparently, in the last couple of years, one of E-S and TB have
> changed their caching of newsgroup articles.  E-S now reports many
> newsgroup articles as non existing when they do exist.  I have no idea
> of where the bug is at.  I see the error message as follows:
>
> "Error!
> newsgroup server responded:No such article number 15"
>
> "Perhaps the article has expired"
>
> "<ncuq31$kcr$1@dont-email.me> (15)"
>
> "Click here to remove all expired articles"
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

Depending on your Operating system, You can delete the .msf files and
this will allow you to re-download all messages.  The user profile is:

<C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\*ud28fzkd.default*\News\news.eternal-september.org>

You need to change/insert your <username>
You also need to replace the random profile shown in my link:
*ud28fzkd.default

*This is in my Windows 10 System.  The AppData folder is normally hidden
by default.*
*

--------------DC0215715D624323700C5475

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:mailman.773.1520281837.2179.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">Is
         <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.eternal-september.org/">http://www.eternal-september.org/</a>
      "<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:ncuq31$kcr$1@dont-email.me">&lt;ncuq31$kcr$1@dont-email.me&gt;</a> (15)"
      "Click here to remove all expired articles"
      Thanks,
      Lynn
    Depending on your Operating system, You can delete the .msf files
    and this will allow you to re-download all messages.  The user
    profile is:<br>
    You need to change/insert your &lt;username&gt;<br>
    You also need to replace the random profile shown in my link:  <b>ud28fzkd.default<br>
    </b>This is in my Windows 10 System.  The AppData folder is normally
    hidden by default.<b><br>
    </b><br>
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>

--------------DC0215715D624323700C5475--
0
Good
3/5/2018 9:28:10 PM
Op 5-3-2018 om 22:28 schreef Good Guy:
> On 05/03/2018 20:30, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> Is there a way to flush all newsgroups subscribed to ?
>>
>> I am using the Eternal-September news server.
>>    http://www.eternal-september.org/
>>
>> I would like to flush all newsgroups without unsubscribing and
>> subscribing to all 30 newsgroups that I am subscribed to.
>>
>> Apparently, in the last couple of years, one of E-S and TB have
>> changed their caching of newsgroup articles.  E-S now reports many
>> newsgroup articles as non existing when they do exist.  I have no idea
>> of where the bug is at.  I see the error message as follows:
>>
>> "Error!
>> newsgroup server responded:No such article number 15"
>>
>> "Perhaps the article has expired"
>>
>> "<ncuq31$kcr$1@dont-email.me> (15)"
>>
>> "Click here to remove all expired articles"
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lynn
>
> Depending on your Operating system, You can delete the .msf files and
> this will allow you to re-download all messages.  The user profile is:
>
> <C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\*ud28fzkd.default*\News\news.eternal-september.org>
>
> You need to change/insert your <username>
> You also need to replace the random profile shown in my link:
> *ud28fzkd.default
>
> *This is in my Windows 10 System.  The AppData folder is normally hidden
> by default.*
> *
> --
> With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

You can press Shift+C on each of them to _C_atch-up: menu Message > Mark
> All As Read.

Onno
0
Onno
3/5/2018 9:57:09 PM
On 05/03/18 21:57, Onno Ekker wrote:
> Op 5-3-2018 om 22:28 schreef Good Guy:
>> On 05/03/2018 20:30, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> Is there a way to flush all newsgroups subscribed to ?
>>>
>>> I am using the Eternal-September news server.
>>>     http://www.eternal-september.org/
>>>
>>> I would like to flush all newsgroups without unsubscribing and
>>> subscribing to all 30 newsgroups that I am subscribed to.
>>>
>>> Apparently, in the last couple of years, one of E-S and TB have
>>> changed their caching of newsgroup articles.  E-S now reports many
>>> newsgroup articles as non existing when they do exist.  I have no idea
>>> of where the bug is at.  I see the error message as follows:
>>>
>>> "Error!
>>> newsgroup server responded:No such article number 15"
>>>
>>> "Perhaps the article has expired"
>>>
>>> "<ncuq31$kcr$1@dont-email.me> (15)"
>>>
>>> "Click here to remove all expired articles"
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lynn
>>
>> Depending on your Operating system, You can delete the .msf files and
>> this will allow you to re-download all messages.  The user profile is:
>>
>> <C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\*ud28fzkd.default*\News\news.eternal-september.org>
>>
>> You need to change/insert your <username>
>> You also need to replace the random profile shown in my link:
>> *ud28fzkd.default
>>
>> *This is in my Windows 10 System.  The AppData folder is normally hidden
>> by default.*
>> *
>> --
>> With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
>> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.
>
> You can press Shift+C on each of them to _C_atch-up: menu Message > Mark
>> All As Read.
>
> Onno

It's much quicker to just click on the first newsgroup for one news
server, press and hold down the shift key, and click on the last
newsgroup. Then right click and click on "Mark Newsgroup Read".

But that *isn't* what the OP is asking for. I believe it's the
equivalent to clicking on "Properties" for one NG and choosing "Repair
folder" to clear all messages, then downloading whatever number of
messages you choose. But you can't do that for multiple NGs at once.

It's one of the few things that Outlook Express did that TB couldn't -
and still can't.

--

Jeff
0
On 3/6/2018 5:29 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 05/03/18 21:57, Onno Ekker wrote:

>>> Depending on your Operating system, You can delete the .msf files and
>>> this will allow you to re-download all messages.  The user profile is:
>>>
>>> <C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\*ud28fzkd.default*\News\news.eternal-september.org>
>>>

>>> You need to change/insert your <username>
>>> You also need to replace the random profile shown in my link:
>>> *ud28fzkd.default
>>>
>>> *This is in my Windows 10 System.  The AppData folder is normally hidden
>>> by default.*
>>> *
>>> --
>>> With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
>>> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.
>>
>> You can press Shift+C on each of them to _C_atch-up: menu Message > Mark
>>> All As Read.
>>
>> Onno
>
> It's much quicker to just click on the first newsgroup for one news
> server, press and hold down the shift key, and click on the last
> newsgroup. Then right click and click on "Mark Newsgroup Read".
>
> But that *isn't* what the OP is asking for. I believe it's the
> equivalent to clicking on "Properties" for one NG and choosing "Repair
> folder" to clear all messages, then downloading whatever number of
> messages you choose. But you can't do that for multiple NGs at once.
>
> It's one of the few things that Outlook Express did that TB couldn't -
> and still can't.

Yes, I would like to clear all messages and redownload the groups.
There is no way to do this with unsubscribing and resubscribing to each
group.

Thanks,
Lynn

0
Lynn
3/6/2018 8:05:30 PM
On 03/06/2018 01:05 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Yes, I would like to clear all messages and redownload the groups. There
> is no way to do this with unsubscribing and resubscribing to each group.

Does repairing the newsgroup not do what you want?

Right click the newsgroup -> properties -> repair folder

I know it's per newsgroup but it does cause Thunderbird to re-download
everything.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
On 2018-03-06 15:05, Lynn McGuire wrote:
[...]
> Yes, I would like to clear all messages and redownload the groups.

NB: what you see is a list of headers. The only messages downloaded are
the ones you Saved As, and/or the ones saved for offline reading.

So your question is: How do I clear the header list and repopulate it?

> There
> is no way to do this with unsubscribing and resubscribing to each group.

You need one more step:

After unsubscribing, go to the News Folder in your Profile and delete
_all_ files that refer to the newsgroups.

Eg, alt.binaries.pictures.rail, alt.binaries.pictures.rail.dat, etc

Then resubscribe.

If there are more than 100 messages in the (re-)subscribed NG, Tbird by
default will offer to download the 100 newest headers. You can change
this number in the message box.

Best,

--
Wolf K