Is there a way to change the font size for thunderbird?

Is there a way to change the font size for Thunderbird? I've looked
around and can't seem to find the userChrome.css  in windows 7.
I can't seem to find it anywhere on the drive.  Hidden files are
visible.

It's not in %APPDATA%

thanks

Carl
0
Carl
10/24/2010 11:49:55 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22506 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

20 Replies
775 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 47

Carl wrote:
> Is there a way to change the font size for Thunderbird? 

You are posting to a Tbird support group via GG googlegroups, so unlike 
those of us who are reading and posting to that group via Tbird and the 
moz news server news.mozilla.org I can't see your v. of Tbird in your 
message headers, so I will assume that it is 3.1.5.

I also can't tell 'what you mean' - so I'll also assume a circumstance 
that you want to know both -1- what font Tbird should use when you are 
viewing a message displayed in plaintext and -2- what font Tbird should 
use when you are composing a news or email message in plain text.

Tools/ Options/ Display section/ Formatting tab/ Default font

Advanced button Monospace controls the font and size for the composition 
of a reply.


userChrome.css doesn't exist until you create it.

I recommend using Tbird as a news agent and accessing this group on the 
moz news server instead of using GG which is a poor interface and whose 
messages are filtered by some because of GG spam.

-- 
Mike Easter
0
Mike
10/25/2010 12:33:14 AM
On 10/24/10 17:33, Mike Easter wrote:

> Carl wrote:
>>  Is there a way to change the font size for Thunderbird?
>
> You are posting to a Tbird support group via GG googlegroups, so unlike
> those of us who are reading and posting to that group via Tbird and the
> moz news server news.mozilla.org I can't see your v. of Tbird in your
> message headers, so I will assume that it is 3.1.5.
>
> I also can't tell 'what you mean' - so I'll also assume a circumstance
> that you want to know both -1- what font Tbird should use when you are
> viewing a message displayed in plaintext and -2- what font Tbird should
> use when you are composing a news or email message in plain text.
>
> Tools/ Options/ Display section/ Formatting tab/ Default font
>
> Advanced button Monospace controls the font and size for the composition
> of a reply.

BUT you can choose a proportional font for your plain-text replies if 
you want.  Uust define 'monospace' as whatever you want. It won't line 
up properly, but it's prettier to look at while you're working.

> userChrome.css doesn't exist until you create it.
>
> I recommend using Tbird as a news agent and accessing this group on the
> moz news server instead of using GG which is a poor interface and whose
> messages are filtered by some because of GG spam.

-- 
Cheers, Bev
=======================================================================
"If you like to stand on your head and spit pickles in the snow, on the
  Internet there are at least three other people just like you."
                                               - Langston James Goree VI
0
The
10/25/2010 2:33:41 AM
*-* On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, at 16:49:55 -0700 (PDT),
*-* In Article
<4f1d09fe-42a8-4835-8eae-81743e8bccf7@m7g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
*-* Carl wrote
*-* About Is there a way to change the font size for thunderbird?

> Is there a way to change the font size for Thunderbird?

     In what part(s) of the Tbird interface do you want to change font
sizes, the Folder Pane (list of accounts and folders), the Thread Pane
(list of available messages/posts), the Message Pane/Window (where the
body of the message/post is displayed), and/or the header area of the
Message Pane/Window?

     Mike Easter has given you the information regarding the Message
Pane/Window.  The other three areas require the use of the
userChrome.css file.

>                                                         I've looked
> around and can't seem to find the userChrome.css  in windows 7.
> I can't seem to find it anywhere on the drive.  Hidden files are
> visible.
>
> It's not in %APPDATA%

     It doesn't exist by default (nor does the chrome folder that
contains it).  As Mike indicated, you have to create it (and the
chrome folder) the first time you want/need it.  I don't currently
have tested code for the header area of the Message Pane/Window, but I
do for the Folder and Thread Panes.

     1. Leave TB open for the time being, so you can copy and paste
        directly from this post into the userChrome.css file.

     2. Navigate to your Thunderbird profile.  If you don't know where
        that is, see:
        <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird>

     3. Within the profile folder, open (or create if it doesn't
        exist) the chrome folder.

     4. Within the chrome folder, open (or create if it doesn't
        exist) the userChrome.css file, using your preferred text
        editor.

     5. If you are creating the file, enter the following text at the
        beginning of the file:

/* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct
functioning */
/* set default namespace to XUL */
@namespace
url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

     6. Add the following text into the file:

/* Set Font Size In Folder Pane */

#folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
  font-size: 14pt !important; }

/* Set Font Size In Thread Pane */

#threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
  font-size: 14pt !important; }

     7. Close TBird.

     8. Save the userChrome.css file, making sure that your editor
        doesn't add an additional .txt (or any other) extension to the
        name.  After saving, leave the editor/file open.

     9. Open TBird, and open a mail folder or newsgroup.  If the font
        sizes are satisfactory, close the editor/file that you left
        open at the end of step 8.  If not, repeat steps 6 through 9,
        trying different font sizes, until you're satisfied with the
        results.

     If you want to change the font size(s) in the header area of the
Message Pane/Window, there are a couple of possibilities, but I
haven't tried/tested them yet to see which works.  If you're
interested, let me know and I'll try them out and post whatever works.
Note, I'm using TB 1.5.0.14, and major changes were made to the header
area in TB3, so there's no guarantee that something in that area that
works for me will work for you if you're using TB 3.x, but it should
at least be worth a try.

> thanks

     You're welcome.

                                        Ken Whiton
-- 
    FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
0
Ken
10/25/2010 7:58:29 AM
Ken Whiton has written on 10/25/2010 3:58 AM:
>      Mike Easter has given you the information regarding the Message
> Pane/Window.  The other three areas require the use of the
> userChrome.css file.
>  
>      1. Leave TB open for the time being, so you can copy and paste
>         directly from this post into the userChrome.css file.
> 
>      2. Navigate to your Thunderbird profile.  If you don't know where
>         that is, see:
>         <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird>
> 
>      3. Within the profile folder, open (or create if it doesn't
>         exist) the chrome folder.
> 
>      4. Within the chrome folder, open (or create if it doesn't
>         exist) the userChrome.css file, using your preferred text
>         editor.
> 
>      5. If you are creating the file, enter the following text at the
>         beginning of the file:
> 
> /* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct
> functioning */
> /* set default namespace to XUL */
> @namespace
> url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
> 
>      6. Add the following text into the file:
> 
> /* Set Font Size In Folder Pane */
> 
> #folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>   font-size: 14pt !important; }
> 
> /* Set Font Size In Thread Pane */
> 
> #threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>   font-size: 14pt !important; }
> 
>      7. Close TBird.
> 
>      8. Save the userChrome.css file, making sure that your editor
>         doesn't add an additional .txt (or any other) extension to the
>         name.  After saving, leave the editor/file open.
> 
>      9. Open TBird, and open a mail folder or newsgroup.  If the font
>         sizes are satisfactory, close the editor/file that you left
>         open at the end of step 8.  If not, repeat steps 6 through 9,
>         trying different font sizes, until you're satisfied with the
>         results.

Ken,

I just created a userchrome.css file (with the above copied and pasted
into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7 machine running
TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.

How does one troubleshoot this?
0
Cy
12/14/2010 8:00:12 PM
On 14.12.2010 14:00, Cy Burnot wrote:

 --- Original Message ---

> Ken Whiton has written on 10/25/2010 3:58 AM:
>>      Mike Easter has given you the information regarding the Message
>> Pane/Window.  The other three areas require the use of the
>> userChrome.css file.
>>  
>>      1. Leave TB open for the time being, so you can copy and paste
>>         directly from this post into the userChrome.css file.
>> 
>>      2. Navigate to your Thunderbird profile.  If you don't know where
>>         that is, see:
>>         <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird>
>> 
>>      3. Within the profile folder, open (or create if it doesn't
>>         exist) the chrome folder.
>> 
>>      4. Within the chrome folder, open (or create if it doesn't
>>         exist) the userChrome.css file, using your preferred text
>>         editor.
>> 
>>      5. If you are creating the file, enter the following text at the
>>         beginning of the file:
>> 
>> /* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct
>> functioning */
>> /* set default namespace to XUL */
>> @namespace
>> url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
>> 
>>      6. Add the following text into the file:
>> 
>> /* Set Font Size In Folder Pane */
>> 
>> #folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>>   font-size: 14pt !important; }
>> 
>> /* Set Font Size In Thread Pane */
>> 
>> #threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>>   font-size: 14pt !important; }
>> 
>>      7. Close TBird.
>> 
>>      8. Save the userChrome.css file, making sure that your editor
>>         doesn't add an additional .txt (or any other) extension to the
>>         name.  After saving, leave the editor/file open.
>> 
>>      9. Open TBird, and open a mail folder or newsgroup.  If the font
>>         sizes are satisfactory, close the editor/file that you left
>>         open at the end of step 8.  If not, repeat steps 6 through 9,
>>         trying different font sizes, until you're satisfied with the
>>         results.
> 
> Ken,
> 
> I just created a userchrome.css file (with the above copied and pasted
> into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7 machine running
> TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.
> 
> How does one troubleshoot this?

First off there is already a userChrome.css file in the /chrome/
directory, is that where you went? Did you close TB first before editing?


-- 
*Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion*
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Flock - Thunderbird
0
Jay
12/14/2010 8:12:00 PM
On 14/12/2010 3:00 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
[...]
> I just created a userchrome.css file (with the above copied and pasted
> into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7 machine running
> TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.
>
> How does one troubleshoot this?


TBird's control over display font sizes is limited (as is every other 
e-mail/Usenet client's AFAIK.) The fact is that to control the display 
font, Tbird must over-ride the code in the sent page/file, and that is 
not always possible.

The methods suggested earlier all work, but not 100%.

Wolf K.
0
Greywolf
12/14/2010 10:16:36 PM
Jay Garcia has written on 12/14/2010 3:12 PM:
> On 14.12.2010 14:00, Cy Burnot wrote:
> 
>  --- Original Message ---
> 
>> Ken Whiton has written on 10/25/2010 3:58 AM:
>>>      Mike Easter has given you the information regarding the Message
>>> Pane/Window.  The other three areas require the use of the
>>> userChrome.css file.
>>>  
>>>      1. Leave TB open for the time being, so you can copy and paste
>>>         directly from this post into the userChrome.css file.
>>> 
>>>      2. Navigate to your Thunderbird profile.  If you don't know where
>>>         that is, see:
>>>         <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird>
>>> 
>>>      3. Within the profile folder, open (or create if it doesn't
>>>         exist) the chrome folder.
>>> 
>>>      4. Within the chrome folder, open (or create if it doesn't
>>>         exist) the userChrome.css file, using your preferred text
>>>         editor.
>>> 
>>>      5. If you are creating the file, enter the following text at the
>>>         beginning of the file:
>>> 
>>> /* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct
>>> functioning */
>>> /* set default namespace to XUL */
>>> @namespace
>>> url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
>>> 
>>>      6. Add the following text into the file:
>>> 
>>> /* Set Font Size In Folder Pane */
>>> 
>>> #folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>>>   font-size: 14pt !important; }
>>> 
>>> /* Set Font Size In Thread Pane */
>>> 
>>> #threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>>>   font-size: 14pt !important; }
>>> 
>>>      7. Close TBird.
>>> 
>>>      8. Save the userChrome.css file, making sure that your editor
>>>         doesn't add an additional .txt (or any other) extension to the
>>>         name.  After saving, leave the editor/file open.
>>> 
>>>      9. Open TBird, and open a mail folder or newsgroup.  If the font
>>>         sizes are satisfactory, close the editor/file that you left
>>>         open at the end of step 8.  If not, repeat steps 6 through 9,
>>>         trying different font sizes, until you're satisfied with the
>>>         results.
>> 
>> Ken,
>> 
>> I just created a userchrome.css file (with the above copied and pasted
>> into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7 machine running
>> TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.
>> 
>> How does one troubleshoot this?
> 
> First off there is already a userChrome.css file in the /chrome/
> directory, is that where you went? Did you close TB first before editing?

1) No. I had to mkdir the chrome directory.
2) I created userchrome.css with notepad on my computer (where it
works!!) and copied into the aforementioned chrome directory.
3) Yes, I did.
0
Cy
12/14/2010 10:26:04 PM
Greywolf has written on 12/14/2010 5:16 PM:
> On 14/12/2010 3:00 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
> [...]
>> I just created a userchrome.css file (with the above copied and pasted
>> into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7 machine running
>> TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.
>>
>> How does one troubleshoot this?
> 
> 
> TBird's control over display font sizes is limited (as is every other 
> e-mail/Usenet client's AFAIK.) The fact is that to control the display 
> font, Tbird must over-ride the code in the sent page/file, and that is 
> not always possible.
> 
> The methods suggested earlier all work, but not 100%.
> 
> Wolf K.

However, the same userchrome.css works as advertised on my Win 7/TB
2.00.24 machine! :-)
0
Cy
12/14/2010 10:26:49 PM
On 14/12/2010 5:26 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
> Greywolf has written on 12/14/2010 5:16 PM:
>> On 14/12/2010 3:00 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I just created a userchrome.css file (with the above copied and pasted
>>> into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7 machine running
>>> TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.
>>>
>>> How does one troubleshoot this?
>>
>>
>> TBird's control over display font sizes is limited (as is every other
>> e-mail/Usenet client's AFAIK.) The fact is that to control the display
>> font, Tbird must over-ride the code in the sent page/file, and that is
>> not always possible.
>>
>> The methods suggested earlier all work, but not 100%.
>>
>> Wolf K.
>
> However, the same userchrome.css works as advertised on my Win 7/TB
> 2.00.24 machine! :-)

Interesting indeed, I've filed the script FFR.

But it doesn't work on your wife's machine. Odd. Sorry, I have only one 
idea, admittedly a long shot: try completely uninstalling Tbird and 
reinstalling will do the trick. Sometimes a left over registry value 
from a previous attempt to change an app's behaviour interferes with a 
new attempt. Use Revo or Your uninstaller, both scan the registry and 
the folder tree and remove pretty well everything that Windows Uninstall 
leaves behind. Backup the profiles folder first, else you will lose the 
e-mails etc.

Good luck,
Wolf k.
0
Greywolf
12/15/2010 2:23:10 AM
Greywolf has written on 12/14/2010 9:23 PM:
> On 14/12/2010 5:26 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
>> Greywolf has written on 12/14/2010 5:16 PM:
>>> On 14/12/2010 3:00 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>> I just created a userchrome.css file (with the above copied and pasted
>>>> into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7 machine running
>>>> TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.
>>>>
>>>> How does one troubleshoot this?
>>>
>>>
>>> TBird's control over display font sizes is limited (as is every other
>>> e-mail/Usenet client's AFAIK.) The fact is that to control the display
>>> font, Tbird must over-ride the code in the sent page/file, and that is
>>> not always possible.
>>>
>>> The methods suggested earlier all work, but not 100%.
>>>
>>> Wolf K.
>>
>> However, the same userchrome.css works as advertised on my Win 7/TB
>> 2.00.24 machine! :-)
> 
> Interesting indeed, I've filed the script FFR.
> 
> But it doesn't work on your wife's machine. Odd. Sorry, I have only one 
> idea, admittedly a long shot: try completely uninstalling Tbird and 
> reinstalling will do the trick. Sometimes a left over registry value 
> from a previous attempt to change an app's behaviour interferes with a 
> new attempt. Use Revo or Your uninstaller, both scan the registry and 
> the folder tree and remove pretty well everything that Windows Uninstall 
> leaves behind. Backup the profiles folder first, else you will lose the 
> e-mails etc.

On a brand new machine, I installed TB v2.0.24 and set up a News
account. Then, I copied the contents of the profile folder from her XP
computer to the profile folder of the new machine.

Don't see how there could be a leftover registry value.
0
Cy
12/15/2010 4:13:44 AM
*-* On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, at 15:00:12 -0500,
*-* In Article <vsGdndKq-8pRUZrQnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
*-* Cy Burnot wrote
*-* About Re: Is there a way to change the font size for thunderbird?

> Ken Whiton has written on 10/25/2010 3:58 AM:
>>      1. Leave TB open for the time being, so you can copy and paste
>>         directly from this post into the userChrome.css file.

          [ ... ]

>>      6. Add the following text into the file:
>>
>> /* Set Font Size In Folder Pane */
>>
>> #folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>>   font-size: 14pt !important; }
>>
>> /* Set Font Size In Thread Pane */
>>
>> #threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>>   font-size: 14pt !important; }

          [ ... ]

>>      9. Open TBird, and open a mail folder or newsgroup.  If the
>>         font sizes are satisfactory, close the editor/file that you
>>         left open at the end of step 8.  If not, repeat steps 6
>>         through 9, trying different font sizes, until you're
>>         satisfied with the results.
>
> Ken,
>
> I just created a userchrome.css file

     Point of information:  The correct name of the file is
userChrome.css (with the upper-case "C").  Since Windows isn't
case-sensitive this isn't the cause of your problem, but if you were
using Linux, which is case-sensitive, it would be a problem.

>                                      (with the above copied and
> pasted into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7
> machine running TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.
>
> How does one troubleshoot this?

     Since you say in a later post in this thread that it works on
your machine I suspect it's more of a Windows problem than a TB
problem.  I'm no expert on users, permissions, etc. in Windows, so if
the following is way out in left field, please be kind. :-D

     1. Do you have the necessary authority/permissions/whatever to be
        making such changes to the setup on your wife's machine?

     2. Do you and your wife have separate (Windows) user accounts on
        her machine?  If so, do both user accounts have TB profiles,
        separate ones for you and for her?  If so, could you perhaps
        have installed the file in one user account's TB profile, but
        be testing it in the other user account's TB profile?

                                        Ken Whiton
-- 
    FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
0
Ken
12/15/2010 8:55:11 AM
*-* On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, at 14:12:00 -0600,
*-* In Article <Iaydna7InNoTUprQnZ2dnUVZ_jIAAAAA@mozilla.org>,
*-* Jay Garcia wrote
*-* About Re: Is there a way to change the font size for thunderbird?

> On 14.12.2010 14:00, Cy Burnot wrote:
>
>  --- Original Message ---

          [ ... ]

>> Ken,
>>
>> I just created a userchrome.css file (with the above copied and
>> pasted into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7
>> machine running TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.
>>
>> How does one troubleshoot this?
>
> First off there is already a userChrome.css file in the /chrome/
> directory,

     No there isn't.  TB doesn't create either the chrome folder, the
userChrome.css file, or the userContent.css file by default.  The user
has to create them manually the first time he/she enters code in one
of the files.

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css>

"This file does not exist in a new profile. You can create it manually."

"Go to your profile folder. Then go to the chrome folder there,
creating it if necessary."

                                        Ken Whiton
-- 
    FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
0
Ken
12/15/2010 8:55:25 AM
*-* On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, at 17:16:36 -0500,
*-* In Article <1c6dncMNDIxZcZrQnZ2dnUVZ_s2dnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
*-* Greywolf wrote
*-* About Re: Is there a way to change the font size for thunderbird?

> On 14/12/2010 3:00 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
> [...]
>> I just created a userchrome.css file (with the above copied and
>> pasted into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7
>> machine running TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.
>>
>> How does one troubleshoot this?
>
> TBird's control over display font sizes is limited (as is every
> other e-mail/Usenet client's AFAIK.) The fact is that to control the
> display font, Tbird must over-ride the code in the sent page/file,
> and that is not always possible.

     I disagree with some of that, but in any event it's irrelevant to
the discussion here.  You're talking about fonts in the Message
Pane/Window, where the where the message/post body is displayed for
reading.  The userChrome.css code and instructions that I had posted,
and that the OP had quoted, deal with fonts in the Folder and Thread
Panes, which are not affected by message/post content.

                                        Ken Whiton
-- 
    FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
0
Ken
12/15/2010 8:55:40 AM
Ken Whiton has written on 12/15/2010 3:55 AM:
> *-* On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, at 15:00:12 -0500,
> *-* In Article <vsGdndKq-8pRUZrQnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
> *-* Cy Burnot wrote
> *-* About Re: Is there a way to change the font size for thunderbird?
> 
>> Ken Whiton has written on 10/25/2010 3:58 AM:
>>>      1. Leave TB open for the time being, so you can copy and paste
>>>         directly from this post into the userChrome.css file.
> 
>           [ ... ]
> 
>>>      6. Add the following text into the file:
>>>
>>> /* Set Font Size In Folder Pane */
>>>
>>> #folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>>>   font-size: 14pt !important; }
>>>
>>> /* Set Font Size In Thread Pane */
>>>
>>> #threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>>>   font-size: 14pt !important; }
> 
>           [ ... ]
> 
>>>      9. Open TBird, and open a mail folder or newsgroup.  If the
>>>         font sizes are satisfactory, close the editor/file that you
>>>         left open at the end of step 8.  If not, repeat steps 6
>>>         through 9, trying different font sizes, until you're
>>>         satisfied with the results.
>>
>> Ken,
>>
>> I just created a userchrome.css file
> 
>      Point of information:  The correct name of the file is
> userChrome.css (with the upper-case "C").  Since Windows isn't
> case-sensitive this isn't the cause of your problem, but if you were
> using Linux, which is case-sensitive, it would be a problem.

I'm using Windows, though.

> 
>>                                      (with the above copied and
>> pasted into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7
>> machine running TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.
>>
>> How does one troubleshoot this?
> 
>      Since you say in a later post in this thread that it works on
> your machine I suspect it's more of a Windows problem than a TB
> problem.  I'm no expert on users, permissions, etc. in Windows, so if
> the following is way out in left field, please be kind. :-D
> 
>      1. Do you have the necessary authority/permissions/whatever to be
>         making such changes to the setup on your wife's machine?

Yes. I log in as her, with admin privileges.

>      2. Do you and your wife have separate (Windows) user accounts on
>         her machine?  If so, do both user accounts have TB profiles,
>         separate ones for you and for her?  If so, could you perhaps
>         have installed the file in one user account's TB profile, but
>         be testing it in the other user account's TB profile?

Yes. No. No. The file is definitely in C:\users\<her login name>\app
data\....

Thanks.
0
Cy
12/15/2010 9:08:01 AM
Ken Whiton has written on 12/15/2010 3:55 AM:
> *-* On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, at 14:12:00 -0600,
> *-* In Article <Iaydna7InNoTUprQnZ2dnUVZ_jIAAAAA@mozilla.org>,
> *-* Jay Garcia wrote
> *-* About Re: Is there a way to change the font size for thunderbird?
> 
>> On 14.12.2010 14:00, Cy Burnot wrote:
>>
>>  --- Original Message ---
> 
>           [ ... ]
> 
>>> Ken,
>>>
>>> I just created a userchrome.css file (with the above copied and
>>> pasted into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7
>>> machine running TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.
>>>
>>> How does one troubleshoot this?
>>
>> First off there is already a userChrome.css file in the /chrome/
>> directory,
> 
>      No there isn't.  TB doesn't create either the chrome folder, the
> userChrome.css file, or the userContent.css file by default.  The user
> has to create them manually the first time he/she enters code in one
> of the files.
> 
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css>
> 
> "This file does not exist in a new profile. You can create it manually."
> 
> "Go to your profile folder. Then go to the chrome folder there,
> creating it if necessary."


Do you see where I wrote, "I just created a userchrome.css file (with
the above copied and
pasted into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7 machine
running TB 2.0.0.24..."?
0
Cy
12/15/2010 9:09:38 AM
On 15/12/2010 3:55 AM, Ken Whiton wrote:
> *-* On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, at 17:16:36 -0500,
> *-* In Article<1c6dncMNDIxZcZrQnZ2dnUVZ_s2dnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
> *-* Greywolf wrote
[...]
>> TBird's control over display font sizes is limited (as is every
>> other e-mail/Usenet client's AFAIK.) The fact is that to control the
>> display font, Tbird must over-ride the code in the sent page/file,
>> and that is not always possible.
>
>       I disagree with some of that, but in any event it's irrelevant to
> the discussion here.  You're talking about fonts in the Message
> Pane/Window, where the where the message/post body is displayed for
> reading.  The userChrome.css code and instructions that I had posted,
> and that the OP had quoted, deal with fonts in the Folder and Thread
> Panes, which are not affected by message/post content.
>
>                                          Ken Whiton


True, I missed that (or forgot, can't remember which.... ;-) )

Wolf K.
0
Greywolf
12/15/2010 1:28:10 PM
On 2010/12/14 15:26, Cy Burnot wrote:
> Jay Garcia has written on 12/14/2010 3:12 PM:
>> On 14.12.2010 14:00, Cy Burnot wrote:
>>
>>   --- Original Message ---
>>
>>> Ken Whiton has written on 10/25/2010 3:58 AM:
>>>>       Mike Easter has given you the information regarding the Message
>>>> Pane/Window.  The other three areas require the use of the
>>>> userChrome.css file.
>>>>
>>>>       1. Leave TB open for the time being, so you can copy and paste
>>>>          directly from this post into the userChrome.css file.
>>>>
>>>>       2. Navigate to your Thunderbird profile.  If you don't know where
>>>>          that is, see:
>>>>          <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird>
>>>>
>>>>       3. Within the profile folder, open (or create if it doesn't
>>>>          exist) the chrome folder.
>>>>
>>>>       4. Within the chrome folder, open (or create if it doesn't
>>>>          exist) the userChrome.css file, using your preferred text
>>>>          editor.
>>>>
>>>>       5. If you are creating the file, enter the following text at the
>>>>          beginning of the file:
>>>>
>>>> /* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct
>>>> functioning */
>>>> /* set default namespace to XUL */
>>>> @namespace
>>>> url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
>>>>
>>>>       6. Add the following text into the file:
>>>>
>>>> /* Set Font Size In Folder Pane */
>>>>
>>>> #folderTree>treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>>>>    font-size: 14pt !important; }
>>>>
>>>> /* Set Font Size In Thread Pane */
>>>>
>>>> #threadTree>treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>>>>    font-size: 14pt !important; }
>>>>
>>>>       7. Close TBird.
>>>>
>>>>       8. Save the userChrome.css file, making sure that your editor
>>>>          doesn't add an additional .txt (or any other) extension to the
>>>>          name.  After saving, leave the editor/file open.
>>>>
>>>>       9. Open TBird, and open a mail folder or newsgroup.  If the font
>>>>          sizes are satisfactory, close the editor/file that you left
>>>>          open at the end of step 8.  If not, repeat steps 6 through 9,
>>>>          trying different font sizes, until you're satisfied with the
>>>>          results.
>>>
>>> Ken,
>>>
>>> I just created a userchrome.css file (with the above copied and pasted
>>> into it) in the chrome directory on my wife's new Win 7 machine running
>>> TB 2.0.0.24, and it doesn't do anything.
>>>
>>> How does one troubleshoot this?
>>
>> First off there is already a userChrome.css file in the /chrome/
>> directory, is that where you went? Did you close TB first before editing?
>
> 1) No. I had to mkdir the chrome directory.
> 2) I created userchrome.css with notepad on my computer (where it
> works!!) and copied into the aforementioned chrome directory.
> 3) Yes, I did.

That filename is case-sensitive.  The proper name is userChrome.css.
0
EE
12/15/2010 7:34:20 PM
Here's what worked:

/* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct
functioning */
/* set default namespace to XUL */
@namespace
url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* Set Font Size In Folder Pane */
#folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
  font-size: 13pt !important;
}

/* Set Font Size In Thread Pane */
#threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
  font-size: 13pt !important;
}


Looks like what I posted originally, doesn't it?

Now, the new problem is that TB does not adjust spacing for the new
larger font size, so that items in the list are crammed together. (If
that's not a clear description, let me know and I'll post a screenshot.)

Is there a way to adjust the "line spacing"?
0
Cy
12/15/2010 8:49:28 PM
*-* On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, at 15:49:28 -0500,
*-* In Article <DL2dnXU36JpFtJTQnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org>,
*-* Cy Burnot wrote
*-* About Re: Is there a way to change the font size for thunderbird?

> Here's what worked:
>
> /* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct
> functioning */
> /* set default namespace to XUL */
> @namespace
> url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
>
> /* Set Font Size In Folder Pane */
> #folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>   font-size: 13pt !important;
> }
>
> /* Set Font Size In Thread Pane */
> #threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>   font-size: 13pt !important;
> }
>
> Looks like what I posted originally, doesn't it?

     If you're referring to what I had originally posted, that you
quoted, the only difference is the font size. ;-)

> Now, the new problem is that TB does not adjust spacing for the new
> larger font size, so that items in the list are crammed together.
> (If that's not a clear description, let me know and I'll post a
> screenshot.)
>
> Is there a way to adjust the "line spacing"?

#folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
  font-size: 13pt !important;
}
#folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-row {
  height: 20px !important;
}

#threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
  font-size: 13pt !important;
}
#threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-row {
  height: 20px !important;
}

     Since I don't know what size or resolution monitor you use, the
20 pixel height specified is strictly a guess as to an appropriate
value.  You'll probably have to adjust it to get an appearance that's
satisfactory.

                                        Ken Whiton
-- 
    FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
0
Ken
12/18/2010 9:15:46 AM
PERFECT!! Many thanks.

Ken Whiton has written on 12/18/2010 4:15 AM:
> *-* On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, at 15:49:28 -0500,
> *-* In Article <DL2dnXU36JpFtJTQnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org>,
> *-* Cy Burnot wrote
> *-* About Re: Is there a way to change the font size for thunderbird?
>
> > Here's what worked:
> >
> > /* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct
> > functioning */
> > /* set default namespace to XUL */
> > @namespace
> > url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
> >
> > /* Set Font Size In Folder Pane */
> > #folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
> >   font-size: 13pt !important;
> > }
> >
> > /* Set Font Size In Thread Pane */
> > #threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
> >   font-size: 13pt !important;
> > }
> >
> > Looks like what I posted originally, doesn't it?
>
>      If you're referring to what I had originally posted, that you
> quoted, the only difference is the font size. ;-)
>
> > Now, the new problem is that TB does not adjust spacing for the new
> > larger font size, so that items in the list are crammed together.
> > (If that's not a clear description, let me know and I'll post a
> > screenshot.)
> >
> > Is there a way to adjust the "line spacing"?
>
> #folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>   font-size: 13pt !important;
> }
> #folderTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-row {
>   height: 20px !important;
> }
>
> #threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
>   font-size: 13pt !important;
> }
> #threadTree >treechildren::-moz-tree-row {
>   height: 20px !important;
> }

-- 
Pete Holsberg
Columbus, NJ

It's not whether you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

0
Pete
12/21/2010 6:09:56 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How to change font size in thunderbird?
I know how to change font size for HTML but I avoid HTML if at all possible. Besides, it isn't needed for a newsgroup like this. I can't see how to increase the font size for plain text composition for newsgroup messages. On 2013-10-31 5:24 AM, Desiree wrote: > I know how to change font size for HTML but I avoid HTML if at all > possible. Besides, it isn't needed for a newsgroup like this. I can't > see how to increase the font size for plain text composition for > newsgroup messages. Tools > Options > Display You can't control the font...

Thunderbird to Thunderbird
Our laptop went bad but hard drive is good and have accessed it. How do I transfer the email etc. from the old laptop to a desktop computer with a fresh install of thunderbird? Thank you! zparky wrote: > Our laptop went bad but hard drive is good and have accessed it. How do > I transfer the email etc. from the old laptop to a desktop computer with > a fresh install of thunderbird? > Thank you! Find your profile folder on the old drive. (This will help you find it: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird Use the instructions for Vista if you are...

Is there a way to globally change the font/font size in a project
I'd like to change the default font and/or font size for a project. Is there a way to do it? 8 pt fonts are just too small for lots of people. What forum would be best to pursue this point? Thanks Bob Hi Robert Robert Byers wrote: > I'd like to change the default font and/or font size for a project. Is there > a way to do it? 8 pt fonts are just too small for lots of people. What forum > would be best to pursue this point? The short answer is no, but if you have set the font on your forms or left them to default and NOT set the font on individual con...

ThunderBird: how do i change default browser for Thunderbird on linux
it doesn't seem to allow me to add a new helper application (no new helper button, etc) ...

Thunderbird font sizes for newsreader?
Using TBird 1.5, Win XP Pro as my newsreader. Is there any way to adjust the font size in the newgroup pane and in the heading pane? I see how to adjust the font for the actual message(s) I'm reading or sending, but not for the other two panes. TIA Louise ...

Thunderbird
Hi all, I have a thunderbird install on a pc, I want to transfer all the emails on a new pc, how do I go about it? Thanks Anastassios On 17.10.2007 08:01 UK Time, Anastassios Giannaras wrote: > Hi all, > > I have a thunderbird install on a pc, I want to transfer all the emails > on a new pc, how do I go about it? No need to import - simply move/copy your whole mail folder to the new PC and tell TB where to find it. Please ask again if you need more detailed instructions (or someone else will probably provide them anyway). -- Herbert Eppel www.HETr...

Thunderbird To Thunderbird #2
Just downloaded and set up Thunderbird on my PC laptop. I transferred my contacts from Opera to Thunderbird. I set up a bunch of eMail Accounts. I put fresh install on my desktop PC. I see how to get the contacts from the laptop to the desktop. How do I get the eMail account setup from the laptop to the desktop. I do not see any export / import for that. Is there a file to copy over? Some utility to maintain the Accounts? On 06/20/2013 10:56 PM, OldGuy wrote: > Just downloaded and set up Thunderbird on my PC laptop. > I transferred my contacts from Opera to Thunder...

Want to Change Font in Thunderbird
Using Thunderbird 3.1.10 with Ubuntu Linux 10.10, 32-bit. I would like to change the font type and size of the Folder Pane and the Thread Pane. somebody in this newsgroup pointed me to: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts I tried putting file userChrome.css in the following directories but without achieving the desired outcome: * /home/[user name]/.mozilla-thunderbird/[xxxxxxxx].default/chrome * /home/[user name]/.thunderbird/[xxxxxxxx].default/chrome * /home/[user name]/.mozilla/firefox/[xxxxxxxx].default/chrome If somebody has been able to change the font size an...

Thunderbird and Thunderbird portable
Hi I use thunderbird on my home computer but travel to other friends and family and would like to use thunderbird portable Pleas can someone give an idiot proff step by step on how to transfer my account settings etc to my U3 usb Thanks On 4/23/2009 10:16 AM, user@domain.invalid wrote: > Hi I use thunderbird on my home computer but travel to other friends and > family and would like to use thunderbird portable Pleas can someone give > an idiot proff step by step on how to transfer my account settings etc > to my U3 usb > > Thanks See: http://kb.mozillazin...

a way to change Skype font without changing KDE fonts
Hi folks! Do you know a way to change Skype default font size without changing the default fonts in KDE through KDE Control Centre? I know about "qtconfig" but it does not work in SUSE 11.1 and later (11.2 also, of course). I filed a bug about the "qtconfig" problem but it seems that this is the new way fonts are changed in all applications in SUSE - only by a centralized way - through KDE Control Centre... -- 1. Flawless Web-browsing (all details connected to browsing) 2. Flawless video playing 3. Flawless music playing 4. Flawless chat clients (perfect...

setting font sizes *everywhere* in Thunderbird?
My problem comes from the fact that I also began to use TB on an EEE PC (under linux). Because the screen of that device is relatively small, real estate is expensive. One of the obvious way is to reduce the font size used up by programs like TB. Of course, there is an option panel for fonts and that includes setting the font size. However that seems to set the font for the message panel only, ie, where the mail itself is displayed. It does not seem to affect the other panels like: - fonts used in the menus - fonts used in the mailbox folder listing - fonts used in the list of ma...

Changing font size
I'm using Mozilla 1.6. Love it so much, I don't know if I should change. 99% of the sites that I go to, I want the font size to be 20. But on one site (which I use at least 3 times a day) I need to use font size 14. To change it, I need to click 7 different times. Then, I have to click it 7 more times to go back to the other size font. Is there anyway, with any of the different Mozillas or FireFox, that I can change font size without going through so much clicking? Thank you JD Howard aber hob zu reden an und schrieb: > Is there anyway, with any of the diffe...

Why are font sizes so much smaller in Thunderbird?
I got Tbird 2.0.0.16 installed in my product host (Windows XP Pro SP-3) and sent myself some test e-mails to retrieve into Tbird. One was plain-text and the other was HTML with lines of varying font sizes. When I received those e-mails, I immediately noticed that the font size displayed in the e-mails were significantly smaller than in other applications. At first, I configured the Options -> Display -> Fonts to be the same as my other e-mail clients (10-pt and 12-pt) but those ended up way too small to read in Tbird. So I upped them to 14-pt each (for proportional and non-p...

when renaming a folder, thunderbird changes other thunderbird open windows to new name
This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156) --------------enigEB3A06DD0F4B897FA992A46F Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable os: Linux 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue May 31 13:24:21 EDT 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 (X11/20110622) when renaming a folder, thunderbird changes other thunderbird open window= s to newly named folder. this causes 'tagged as new' emails to lose 'new' tags. this 'bug' has been present in previous versions and when happened...

Web resources about - Is there a way to change the font size for thunderbird? - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Mozilla Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control and shaping the future of the web for the public ...

Thunderbirds Are Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thunderbirds Are Go is a 1966 British science-fiction film based on Thunderbirds , a 1960s television series starring marionette puppets and ...

Edit - Thunderbird - CrunchBase Product Profile
TechCrunch CrunchBase More TechCrunch Europe TechCrunch France TechCrunch Japan Register - Login or Advanced Search Home > Products > Thunderbird ...

F-16C Thunderbirds Formation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
USAF Thunderbirds at the 2008 Battle Creek Air Show

Thunderbirds Are Go - Introducing The World - YouTube
The world of Thunderbirds Are Go, Tracy Island, miniature sets and craft have been lovingly made by none other than WETA Workshop - the model ...

Thunderbirds are go: First pictures of TV remake
The first images of the upcoming TV reboot of the iconic series Thunderbirds have been released, recasting the iconic puppets from the 1960s ...

Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson dies aged 83
... puppet TV shows Captain Scarlet, Stingray and Joe 90 died in his sleep, his son announces. Gerry Anderson, best known as the creator of Thunderbirds ...

Firebirds hold nerve to hold out Thunderbirds
It was another close shave but Queensland Firebirds coach Roselee Jencke was happy for her side to take a second straight win.

Thunderbirds are go, puppets are gone
Human Thunderbirds? What does this mean, writes James Cockington. - The Age Online

Southerners steal last-gasp draw against Thunderbirds
Southern Steel stole a 53-53 draw in the chaotic final seconds of their trans-Tasman netball league clash against Adelaide Thunderbirds.

Resources last updated: 12/26/2015 4:16:47 AM