installing an add on once downloaded?

--------------9EACDC938482D1EEC1DE2253

Hi all,

I'm a screen reader user and the add on manager doesn't work well.

I downloaded the add on with the xpi extension.

I've tried opening the file from windows explorer in tb but it just puts
the file as an attachment in a new message.

Can someone tell me how to get the downloaded file into the add on
manager so I can show someone sighted and they can do it for me.

Thanks in advance!

--

Adam Morris
Jaws certified 2016

--------------9EACDC938482D1EEC1DE2253

  <head>

  </head>
        manager doesn't work well.</font></p>
        extension.</font></p>
        explorer in tb but it just puts the file as an attachment in a
        new message.</font></p>
        file into the add on manager so I can show someone sighted and
        they can do it for me.</font></p>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--

Adam Morris
Jaws certified 2016
email:
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:adam@damorris.com">adam@damorris.com</a>

		</pre>

--------------9EACDC938482D1EEC1DE2253--
0
Adam
3/18/2017 11:29:44 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 21744 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 3/18/2017 4:29 PM, Adam Morris wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm a screen reader user and the add on manager doesn't work well.
>
> I downloaded the add on with the xpi extension.
>

> I've tried opening the file from windows explorer in tb but it just puts
> the file as an attachment in a new message.
>

> Can someone tell me how to get the downloaded file into the add on
> manager so I can show someone sighted and they can do it for me.
>

> Thanks in advance!

1.  On the Thunderbird menu bar, select [Tools > Add-ons].

2.  On the Add-ons Manager window, there is a button near the
upper-right corner.  It has the image of a machine gear and a tool-tip
that is "Tools for all add-ons".  Select that button.

3.  From the resulting pull-down context menu, select Install Add-on
>From File.

4.  On the resulting "Select add-on to install" window, navigate to
where you downloaded the .xpi file, select the file, and then select the
Open button.

Note:  In some cases, it is necessary to terminate the application
(Thunderbird) and then re-launch it in order to complete the installation.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

Consider:
*  Most state mandate that drivers have liability insurance.
*  Employers are mandated to have worker's compensation insurance.
*  If you live in a flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory.
*  If your home has a mortgate, fire insurance is mandatory.

Why then is mandatory health insurance so bad??
0
David
3/19/2017 2:08:35 AM
On 3/18/2017 10:08 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 3/18/2017 4:29 PM, Adam Morris wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I'm a screen reader user and the add on manager doesn't work well.
>>
>> I downloaded the add on with the xpi extension.
>>

>> I've tried opening the file from windows explorer in tb but it just puts
>> the file as an attachment in a new message.
>>

>> Can someone tell me how to get the downloaded file into the add on
>> manager so I can show someone sighted and they can do it for me.
>>

>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> 1.  On the Thunderbird menu bar, select [Tools > Add-ons].
>
> 2.  On the Add-ons Manager window, there is a button near the
> upper-right corner.  It has the image of a machine gear and a tool-tip
> that is "Tools for all add-ons".  Select that button.
>
> 3.  From the resulting pull-down context menu, select Install Add-on
>>From File.
>
> 4.  On the resulting "Select add-on to install" window, navigate to
> where you downloaded the .xpi file, select the file, and then select the
> Open button.
>
> Note:  In some cases, it is necessary to terminate the application
> (Thunderbird) and then re-launch it in order to complete the installation.

While what was said above is all correct, if the addon is not compatible
with the version of Thunderbird you have on you computer, it will not
install.

0
Keith
3/19/2017 2:13:16 AM
--001a11477d44564de8054b109247

On 19 Mar 2017 02:13, "Keith Nuttle" <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 3/18/2017 10:08 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 3/18/2017 4:29 PM, Adam Morris wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I'm a screen reader user and the add on manager doesn't work well.
>>
>> I downloaded the add on with the xpi extension.
>>

>> I've tried opening the file from windows explorer in tb but it just puts
>> the file as an attachment in a new message.
>>

>> Can someone tell me how to get the downloaded file into the add on
>> manager so I can show someone sighted and they can do it for me.
>>

>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> 1.  On the Thunderbird menu bar, select [Tools > Add-ons].
>
> 2.  On the Add-ons Manager window, there is a button near the
> upper-right corner.  It has the image of a machine gear and a tool-tip
> that is "Tools for all add-ons".  Select that button.
>
> 3.  From the resulting pull-down context menu, select Install Add-on
>
>> From File.
>>

> 4.  On the resulting "Select add-on to install" window, navigate to
> where you downloaded the .xpi file, select the file, and then select the
> Open button.
>
> Note:  In some cases, it is necessary to terminate the application
> (Thunderbird) and then re-launch it in order to complete the installation.

While what was said above is all correct, if the addon is not compatible
with the version of Thunderbird you have on you computer, it will not
install.

Additionally, if you open Thunderbird's addons page, you can install a
downloaded xpi file by simply dragging and dropping it onto that addons
window. You can even, in most cases, omit the download step and
drag-and-drop directly from the browser to Thunderbird's addons page.

Thunderbird has several areas that I consider have low or near-to-zero
discoverability, the button with the gear icon being one of them. You have
to click on this damn button and there is no alternative menu-driven access
to these features. This is inconvenient to those who like to use the
keyboard in preference to the mouse, and must be nearly impenetrable to
those reliant on screen readers.
--
Chris

--001a11477d44564de8054b109247

il_quote">On 19 Mar 2017 02:13, &quot;Keith Nuttle&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net">keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net</a>&gt; wrote:<b=
r type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8=
ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"quoted-text">=
On 3/18/2017 10:08 PM, David E. Ross wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
On 3/18/2017 4:29 PM, Adam Morris wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Hi all,<br>
I&#39;m a screen reader user and the add on manager doesn&#39;t work well.<=
br>
I downloaded the add on with the xpi extension.<br>
I&#39;ve tried opening the file from windows explorer in tb but it just put=
s<br>
the file as an attachment in a new message.<br>
Can someone tell me how to get the downloaded file into the add on<br>
manager so I can show someone sighted and they can do it for me.<br>
Thanks in advance!<br>
1.=C2=A0 On the Thunderbird menu bar, select [Tools &gt; Add-ons].<br>
2.=C2=A0 On the Add-ons Manager window, there is a button near the<br>
upper-right corner.=C2=A0 It has the image of a machine gear and a tool-tip=
that is &quot;Tools for all add-ons&quot;.=C2=A0 Select that button.<br>
3.=C2=A0 From the resulting pull-down context menu, select Install Add-on<b=
r>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
>From File.<br>
4.=C2=A0 On the resulting &quot;Select add-on to install&quot; window, navi=
gate to<br>
where you downloaded the .xpi file, select the file, and then select the<br=

Open button.<br>
Note:=C2=A0 In some cases, it is necessary to terminate the application<br>
(Thunderbird) and then re-launch it in order to complete the installation.<=
br>
While what was said above is all correct, if the addon is not compatible wi=
th the version of Thunderbird you have on you computer, it will not install=
o">Additionally, if you open Thunderbird&#39;s addons page, you can install=
 a downloaded xpi file by simply dragging and dropping it onto that addons =
window. You can even, in most cases, omit the download step and drag-and-dr=
op directly from the browser to Thunderbird&#39;s addons page.=C2=A0</div><=
that I consider have low or near-to-zero discoverability, the button with t=
he gear icon being one of them. You have to click on this damn button and t=
here is no alternative menu-driven access to these features. This is inconv=
enient to those who like to use the keyboard in preference to the mouse, an=
d must be nearly impenetrable to those reliant on screen readers.=C2=A0</di=