Import mail into Thunderbird from Thunderbird

How can I import the mail from one Thunderbird (different computer) into my
computer?  I recently left a job where I used
thunderbird as well.  I just copied the whole Thunderbird directory and
removed Thunderbird from my work computer.  Is there
a way to import the mail from the work computer and integrate it with my
existing mail?  What files do I need under that directory?

Thank You

0
Zap
7/20/2009 6:52:59 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22452 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

Who knows which mail you are using ??

> How can I import the mail from one Thunderbird (different computer) into my
> computer?  I recently left a job where I used
> thunderbird as well.  I just copied the whole Thunderbird directory and
> removed Thunderbird from my work computer.  Is there
> a way to import the mail from the work computer and integrate it with my
> existing mail?  What files do I need under that directory?
>
> Thank You

0
gNeandr
7/20/2009 6:58:50 PM
On Tuesday 21 July 2009 12:22 AM, Zap Eagle wrote:
> How can I import the mail from one Thunderbird (different computer)
> into my computer?  I recently left a job where I used thunderbird as
>  well.  I just copied the whole Thunderbird directory and removed
> Thunderbird from my work computer.

What folder you have copied, Profile folder or  program folder of
Thunderbird?
Tb keeps all user data ( mail, address book, password ) in profile
folder, not in program folder.

> Is there a way to import the mail from the work computer and
> integrate it with my existing mail?  What files do I need under that
> directory?

If you had coped profile folder then you can do it in this way:

Install Tb in new system.
Paste the Tb profile folder, you copied from old system, at a suitable
location in new system.
Now goto Start > Run, type
"thunderbird.exe" -P

it will start Tb profile manager window. Click on 'Create' button to
create a new profile. Type a suitable name to that profile. But when Tb
will ask you to choose profile folder location, use browse button to
browse and point the profile folder location to that copied folder.
Start with your new profile.

0
Nir
7/20/2009 7:07:18 PM
On Tuesday 21 July 2009 12:28 AM, gNeandr wrote:
> Who knows which mail you are using ??

 From the subject line, i think, OP wants to import into Thunderbird.
0
Nir
7/20/2009 7:14:05 PM
Think I may be screwed, only copied the thunderbird program directory.  I
just discovered that at least on my computer, that the profiles are
stored under "documents and setting" which I did not copy because I didn't
realize that is where they were stored.  I will have to see if they will
allow me access to that computer to get it.
Thanks

"Nir" <nir.sen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tuesday 21 July 2009 12:22 AM, Zap Eagle wrote:
>> How can I import the mail from one Thunderbird (different computer)
>> into my computer?  I recently left a job where I used thunderbird as
>>  well.  I just copied the whole Thunderbird directory and removed
>> Thunderbird from my work computer.
>
> What folder you have copied, Profile folder or  program folder of
> Thunderbird?
> Tb keeps all user data ( mail, address book, password ) in profile
> folder, not in program folder.
>
>> Is there a way to import the mail from the work computer and
>> integrate it with my existing mail?  What files do I need under that
>> directory?
>>

> If you had coped profile folder then you can do it in this way:
>
> Install Tb in new system.
> Paste the Tb profile folder, you copied from old system, at a suitable
> location in new system.
> Now goto Start > Run, type
> "thunderbird.exe" -P
>
> it will start Tb profile manager window. Click on 'Create' button to
> create a new profile. Type a suitable name to that profile. But when Tb
> will ask you to choose profile folder location, use browse button to
> browse and point the profile folder location to that copied folder.
> Start with your new profile.

0
Zap
7/20/2009 10:23:08 PM
Nir wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 July 2009 12:22 AM, Zap Eagle wrote:
>> How can I import the mail from one Thunderbird (different computer)
>> into my computer?  I recently left a job where I used thunderbird as
>>  well.  I just copied the whole Thunderbird directory and removed
>> Thunderbird from my work computer.
>
> What folder you have copied, Profile folder or  program folder of
> Thunderbird?
> Tb keeps all user data ( mail, address book, password ) in profile
> folder, not in program folder.
>
>> Is there a way to import the mail from the work computer and
>> integrate it with my existing mail?  What files do I need under that
>> directory?
>>

> If you had coped profile folder then you can do it in this way:
>
> Install Tb in new system.
> Paste the Tb profile folder, you copied from old system, at a suitable
> location in new system.
> Now goto Start > Run, type
> "thunderbird.exe" -P
>
> it will start Tb profile manager window. Click on 'Create' button to
> create a new profile. Type a suitable name to that profile. But when Tb
> will ask you to choose profile folder location, use browse button to
> browse and point the profile folder location to that copied folder.
> Start with your new profile.

Hi Nir.

Thank you for your support. I am just at the point where I have
installed Profile Switcher on the new TB 2.0.0.22 installation. I have
several accounts there already and I want to keep them there for now.
Below them are newsgroups.

The instructions on the switcher are incomprehensible - titlebars and
status panels???? They may as well be writing in Greek.

You suggested "> Paste the Tb profile folder, you copied from old
system, at a suitable location in new system." What is a suitable
location?  I know how to copy the old profile. I see no information
around for setting up this second profile. Question is how and where to
paste this profile into the new Tbird.

TIA
0
TJ
7/23/2009 5:02:04 AM
On Thursday 23 July 2009 10:32 AM, TJ wrote:
> You suggested "> Paste the Tb profile folder, you copied from old
> system, at a suitable location in new system." What is a suitable
> location?  I know how to copy the old profile. I see no information
> around for setting up this second profile. Question is how and where
> to paste this profile into the new Tbird.

See, when Tb starts up it looks at profiles.ini file to understand where
you kept your profile folder. So all you need to do is to put your
profile folder in _any suitable_ location in your system and then use Tb
profile manager to point to that profile folder location. Once Tb is
aware of the location of that profile folder it can use it without any
problem.

By suitable location I meant any location by your choice. Some posters
suggest to put the folder in any location other than the drive where you
have installed your OS. My suggestion is to place the folder in a drive
that has enough free space. You can put it directly under the drive or
you can create a folder named 'My_mozilla_profiles' in that drive and
paste the profile folder there. But don't keep it very deep within your
folder tree because Win OS has an known issue with very long file path.
"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081"
0
Nir
7/26/2009 3:54:43 PM
Nir wrote:
> On Thursday 23 July 2009 10:32 AM, TJ wrote:
>> You suggested "> Paste the Tb profile folder, you copied from old
>> system, at a suitable location in new system." What is a suitable
>> location?  I know how to copy the old profile. I see no information
>> around for setting up this second profile. Question is how and where
>> to paste this profile into the new Tbird.
>
> See, when Tb starts up it looks at profiles.ini file to understand where
> you kept your profile folder. So all you need to do is to put your
> profile folder in _any suitable_ location in your system and then use Tb
> profile manager to point to that profile folder location. Once Tb is
> aware of the location of that profile folder it can use it without any
> problem.
>
> By suitable location I meant any location by your choice. Some posters
> suggest to put the folder in any location other than the drive where you
> have installed your OS. My suggestion is to place the folder in a drive
> that has enough free space. You can put it directly under the drive or
> you can create a folder named 'My_mozilla_profiles' in that drive and
> paste the profile folder there. But don't keep it very deep within your
> folder tree because Win OS has an known issue with very long file path.
> "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081"
You might also want to look into the www.portableapp.com system which
includes a portable version of tb along with ff, open office & about 30
additional applications.  Check into it and get back if you have any
questions.  Very versatile, user friendly & a great Mozilla project.

JamesSoCal

This message is being sent courtesy of Thunderbird the free email client
from the Mozilla group at www.Mozilla.org or www.Mozilla.org/Thunderbird
with scheduling being included with the Lightning addon. Digital
signatures are added using the 'text complete' add-on to Thunderbird.
Browsing is done using Firefox at www.Mozilla.org/Firefox with the IE
Tab addon for visiting IE specific web sites such as the local Board of
Realtors & MLS sites. Both are included in www.PortableApps.com which
can travel with you on a flash drive from PC to PC. Open Office Writer,
similar to Word, Open Office Calc, similar to Excel, Open Office
Impress, similar to MS Power Point, etc. can all be found in
PortableApps along with many other useful applications.  All these
software packages are free and are supported free under the GNU license.

BTW a big thanks to all those contributing their time & energy to the
support of this, and other, GNU projects.  Your efforts have advanced,
and will continue to advance, the general pool of knowledge long into
the future.
0
James

Web resources about - Import mail into Thunderbird from Thunderbird - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Mozilla Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control and shaping the future of the web for the public ...

Thunderbirds Are Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thunderbirds Are Go is a 1966 British science-fiction film based on Thunderbirds , a 1960s television series starring marionette puppets and ...

Edit - Thunderbird - CrunchBase Product Profile
TechCrunch CrunchBase More TechCrunch Europe TechCrunch France TechCrunch Japan Register - Login or Advanced Search Home > Products > Thunderbird ...

F-16C Thunderbirds Formation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
USAF Thunderbirds at the 2008 Battle Creek Air Show

Thunderbirds Are Go - Introducing The World - YouTube
The world of Thunderbirds Are Go, Tracy Island, miniature sets and craft have been lovingly made by none other than WETA Workshop - the model ...

Thunderbirds are go: First pictures of TV remake
The first images of the upcoming TV reboot of the iconic series Thunderbirds have been released, recasting the iconic puppets from the 1960s ...

Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson dies aged 83
... puppet TV shows Captain Scarlet, Stingray and Joe 90 died in his sleep, his son announces. Gerry Anderson, best known as the creator of Thunderbirds ...

Firebirds hold nerve to hold out Thunderbirds
It was another close shave but Queensland Firebirds coach Roselee Jencke was happy for her side to take a second straight win.

Thunderbirds are go, puppets are gone
Human Thunderbirds? What does this mean, writes James Cockington. - The Age Online

Southerners steal last-gasp draw against Thunderbirds
Southern Steel stole a 53-53 draw in the chaotic final seconds of their trans-Tasman netball league clash against Adelaide Thunderbirds.