I want my cursor back

Hi All,

52.9.1 (64-bit) for Fedora

Is there a configuration setting out there somewhere (about:config?)
that will tell Thunderbird when I am composing a new message
that I want the cursor left on, instead of disappearing after a brief
period of inactivity?

I am finding nothing in preferences, composition.

This is especially alloying when you reposition the cursor with
the mouse and the cursor does not reappear as you did not touch
the keyboard.

Many thanks,
-T

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am Windows

On 7/19/2018 12:49 AM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 52.9.1 (64-bit) for Fedora
>
> Is there a configuration setting out there somewhere (about:config?)
> that will tell Thunderbird when I am composing a new message
> that I want the cursor left on, instead of disappearing after a brief
> period of inactivity?
>
> I am finding nothing in preferences, composition.
>
> This is especially alloying when you reposition the cursor with
> the mouse and the cursor does not reappear as you did not touch
> the keyboard.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

This is not a direct solution to your problem but if you press Ctrl
(Control Key) the cursor position wiii be shown in a circle.

This is an attribute of the Windows OS
0
Keith
7/19/2018 10:21:42 AM
Keith Nuttle wrote:

> if you press Ctrl (Control Key) the cursor position wiii be shown in a
> circle.

Only if somebody has enabled it, that's off by default in control
panel/mouse/pointer options
0
Andy
7/19/2018 10:41:34 AM
On 7/19/2018 6:41 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Keith Nuttle wrote:
>
>> if you press Ctrl (Control Key) the cursor position wiii be shown in a
>> circle.
>
> Only if somebody has enabled it, that's off by default in control
> panel/mouse/pointer options
Right!

It has been years since I enabled it, and forgot that it had to be.

0
Keith
7/19/2018 11:14:43 AM
On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 11:41:34 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

> Only if somebody has enabled it, that's off by default in control
> panel/mouse/pointer options

Cool!  In checking that out, I discovered that somebody had enabled
"snap to default button in dialog boxes".  I've gotten used to that
and left it alone.

I think I'll like not swirl-swirl-swirl-do-I-detect-motion-ing.  If I
remember that I've enabled "find pointer".

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---
https://www.avg.com

0
Joy
7/19/2018 1:27:40 PM
On 2018-07-19 00:49, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 52.9.1 (64-bit) for Fedora
>
> Is there a configuration setting out there somewhere (about:config?)
> that will tell Thunderbird when I am composing a new message
> that I want the cursor left on, instead of disappearing after a brief
> period of inactivity?
>
> I am finding nothing in preferences, composition.
>
> This is especially alloying when you reposition the cursor with
> the mouse and the cursor does not reappear as you did not touch
> the keyboard.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

This has been happening in TB for a long time. No idea what causes it.
Close the window and re-open it.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
On 07/19/2018 05:21 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 7/19/2018 12:49 AM, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> 52.9.1 (64-bit) for Fedora
>>
>> Is there a configuration setting out there somewhere (about:config?)
>> that will tell Thunderbird when I am composing a new message
>> that I want the cursor left on, instead of disappearing after a brief
>> period of inactivity?
>>
>> I am finding nothing in preferences, composition.
>>
>> This is especially alloying when you reposition the cursor with
>> the mouse and the cursor does not reappear as you did not touch
>> the keyboard.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>
> This is not a direct solution to your problem but if you press Ctrl
> (Control Key) the cursor position wiii be shown in a circle.
>
> This is an attribute of the Windows OS

Is there an equivalent in Linux (particularly Debian).
I have no problem composing messages, but frequently have to do
swirl-swirl-swirl in other apps.

0
Richard
7/19/2018 2:52:07 PM
On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 21:49:33 -0700, T wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> 52.9.1 (64-bit) for Fedora
>
> Is there a configuration setting out there somewhere (about:config?)
> that will tell Thunderbird when I am composing a new message that I want
> the cursor left on, instead of disappearing after a brief period of
> inactivity?
>
> I am finding nothing in preferences, composition.
>
> This is especially alloying when you reposition the cursor with the
> mouse and the cursor does not reappear as you did not touch the
> keyboard.

I don't see this in 52.9.1 in either Debian or OpenSuSE - both XFCE. I
don't recall ever seeing it.

Something stealing focus from the compose window, or from the text field
of it? What window manager?

Is this email or news? I don't use TB for news.
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0
On 07/19/2018 03:21 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 7/19/2018 12:49 AM, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> 52.9.1 (64-bit) for Fedora
>>
>> Is there a configuration setting out there somewhere (about:config?)
>> that will tell Thunderbird when I am composing a new message
>> that I want the cursor left on, instead of disappearing after a brief
>> period of inactivity?
>>
>> I am finding nothing in preferences, composition.
>>
>> This is especially alloying when you reposition the cursor with
>> the mouse and the cursor does not reappear as you did not touch
>> the keyboard.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>
> This is not a direct solution to your problem but if you press Ctrl
> (Control Key) the cursor position wiii be shown in a circle.
>
> This is an attribute of the Windows OS

Fedora is Linux

I will try the ctrl key.  Thank you!
On 07/19/2018 12:49 AM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 52.9.1 (64-bit) for Fedora
>
> Is there a configuration setting out there somewhere (about:config?)
> that will tell Thunderbird when I am composing a new message
> that I want the cursor left on, instead of disappearing after a brief
> period of inactivity?
>
> I am finding nothing in preferences, composition.
>
> This is especially alloying when you reposition the cursor with
> the mouse and the cursor does not reappear as you did not touch
> the keyboard.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

I haven't noticed it disappearing here with HTML or plain text
composition on Ubuntu.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.9.1

0
WaltS48
7/19/2018 7:04:52 PM
On 07/19/2018 08:27 AM, Dave Royal wrote:
> Is this email or news? I don't use TB for news.

Both
On 07/19/2018 12:04 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 07/19/2018 12:49 AM, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> 52.9.1 (64-bit) for Fedora
>>
>> Is there a configuration setting out there somewhere (about:config?)
>> that will tell Thunderbird when I am composing a new message
>> that I want the cursor left on, instead of disappearing after a brief
>> period of inactivity?
>>
>> I am finding nothing in preferences, composition.
>>
>> This is especially alloying when you reposition the cursor with
>> the mouse and the cursor does not reappear as you did not touch
>> the keyboard.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

> I haven't noticed it disappearing here with HTML or plain text
> composition on Ubuntu.
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.9.1

There is some time out period
On 07/19/2018 06:35 AM, Wolf K wrote:
> On 2018-07-19 00:49, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> 52.9.1 (64-bit) for Fedora
>>
>> Is there a configuration setting out there somewhere (about:config?)
>> that will tell Thunderbird when I am composing a new message
>> that I want the cursor left on, instead of disappearing after a brief
>> period of inactivity?
>>
>> I am finding nothing in preferences, composition.
>>
>> This is especially alloying when you reposition the cursor with
>> the mouse and the cursor does not reappear as you did not touch
>> the keyboard.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

> This has been happening in TB for a long time. No idea what causes it.
> Close the window and re-open it.

Thank you for the confirmation.  :'(