How to prune addressbook?

TB 38/linux.  I need to remove hundreds of useless addresses.  Every
time I delete one the pointer returns to the top of the list and I have
to scroll down to where I was before I can delete the next one.  Is
there a better way?

I don't want to upgrade;  if that's the only solution I'd rather just
leave the addressbook alone.

--
Cheers, Bev
    HAMMER:  Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays

On 30/03/18 21:49, The Real Bev wrote:
> TB 38/linux.� I need to remove hundreds of useless addresses.� Every
> time I delete one the pointer returns to the top of the list and I have
> to scroll down to where I was before I can delete the next one.� Is
> there a better way?
>
> I don't want to upgrade;� if that's the only solution I'd rather just
> leave the addressbook alone.

Top of head suggestion - I haven't tried it :)
Export address book to a csv file,
Edit it in, say Libre Office Calc,
Delete addys from TB,
Re-import edited csv file.
0
Joskin
--------------A4F4483CB09B7F25B099565F

On 3/30/18 4:49 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> TB 38/linux.� I need to remove hundreds of useless addresses.� Every
> time I delete one the pointer returns to the top of the list and I
> have to scroll down to where I was before I can delete the next one.�
> Is there a better way?
>
> I don't want to upgrade;� if that's the only solution I'd rather just
> leave the addressbook alone.

Select one, press the Ctrl key, select another, repeat until all are
selected, right click on the last selected address and click Delete from
the context menu, or just press the Delete key on the keyboard. Click OK
when the dialog box asking if you want to to delete multiple addresses
appears.

--
Best name ever! Cadet Bone Spurs
NRA = Newly Recruited Activists

--------------A4F4483CB09B7F25B099565F

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
cite="mid:mailman.48.1522443068.6718.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">TB
      38/linux.� I need to remove hundreds of useless addresses.� Every
      time I delete one the pointer returns to the top of the list and I
      have to scroll down to where I was before I can delete the next
      one.� Is there a better way? <br>
      I don't want to upgrade;� if that's the only solution I'd rather
      just leave the addressbook alone. <br>
        repeat until all are selected, right click on the last selected
        address and click Delete from the context menu, or just press
        the Delete key on the keyboard. Click OK when the dialog box
        asking if you want to to delete multiple addresses appears.</font><br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Best name ever! Cadet Bone Spurs
NRA = Newly Recruited Activists
National Popular Vote <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/">&lt;http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/&gt;</a>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
</pre>

--------------A4F4483CB09B7F25B099565F--
0
WaltS48
3/30/2018 11:08:31 PM
On 03/30/2018 04:08 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 3/30/18 4:49 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> TB 38/linux.  I need to remove hundreds of useless addresses.  Every
>> time I delete one the pointer returns to the top of the list and I
>> have to scroll down to where I was before I can delete the next one.
>> Is there a better way?
>>
>> I don't want to upgrade;  if that's the only solution I'd rather just
>> leave the addressbook alone.
>
> Select one, press the Ctrl key, select another, repeat until all are
> selected, right click on the last selected address and click Delete from
> the context menu, or just press the Delete key on the keyboard. Click OK
> when the dialog box asking if you want to to delete multiple addresses
> appears.

I'm absolutely humiliated that I didn't think of this -- which is the
standard way of dealing with certain types of lists.  Mea maxima culpa!

I'm down to the E's...

--
Cheers, Bev
   "The way England treats her prisoners, she doesn't
On 31/03/18 05:04, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 03/30/2018 04:08 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 3/30/18 4:49 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> TB 38/linux.  I need to remove hundreds of useless addresses.  Every
>>> time I delete one the pointer returns to the top of the list and I
>>> have to scroll down to where I was before I can delete the next one.
>>> Is there a better way?
>>>
>>> I don't want to upgrade;  if that's the only solution I'd rather just
>>> leave the addressbook alone.
>>
>> Select one, press the Ctrl key, select another, repeat until all are
>> selected, right click on the last selected address and click Delete from
>> the context menu, or just press the Delete key on the keyboard. Click OK
>> when the dialog box asking if you want to to delete multiple addresses
>> appears.
>
> I'm absolutely humiliated that I didn't think of this -- which is the
> standard way of dealing with certain types of lists.  Mea maxima culpa!
>
> I'm down to the E's...

Heh. It's the simple things one forgets first!

WaltS48 reminded me to try something obvious, but different. You know
you can highlight a whole list by clicking on the top entry and
shift-clicking on the bottom entry. And, as WaltS48 suggested, you can
Ctrl-click on individual entries in a list to highlight them. What
happens if you combine the two? I've never done it before, but just did,
and it works - you can /remove/ individual entries from a highlighted
list that way.

Why do we never think of the obvious?!

--

Jeff
0
On 03/31/2018 12:04 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 03/30/2018 04:08 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 3/30/18 4:49 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> TB 38/linux.  I need to remove hundreds of useless addresses.  Every
>>> time I delete one the pointer returns to the top of the list and I
>>> have to scroll down to where I was before I can delete the next one.
>>> Is there a better way?
>>>
>>> I don't want to upgrade;  if that's the only solution I'd rather just
>>> leave the addressbook alone.
>>
>> Select one, press the Ctrl key, select another, repeat until all are
>> selected, right click on the last selected address and click Delete from
>> the context menu, or just press the Delete key on the keyboard. Click OK
>> when the dialog box asking if you want to to delete multiple addresses
>> appears.
>
> I'm absolutely humiliated that I didn't think of this -- which is the
> standard way of dealing with certain types of lists.  Mea maxima culpa!
>
> I'm down to the E's...

Select one then shift select last in a group picks a group right...
Well....
Move down and control-select one then move down and control-shift-select
picks another group.
Move down and control-select one then move down and control-shift-select
picks yet another group.
Move down and control-select one then move down and control-shift-select
picks and yet another group.
    and so on.
Then delete all the groups.

And by select I mean single left click.