how: from beta back to stable version

I had two parallel TB installations on Win10: normal (52.x?) in my main use=
r (admin account), 60b2 in a non admin account to test 60b with a test emai=
l account, to be safe on failures. No interaction between standard TB and t=
he beta in the other user account were observed.

Yesterday, I updated the 60b in the non admin account to 60b8 to test one o=
f my addons. Now, in the other main win 10 user account, the 52.x (or whate=
ver it was - the most recent version) is replaced by 60b8.

How do I go back to a stable version? I don't trust all my emails to the be=
ta.

On a sideline, why can TB in non admin account overwrite the TB in another =
user account?

any help is appreciated,

Klaus
0
opto
6/23/2018 10:40:29 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22485 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

On 6/23/18 6:40 AM, opto wrote:
> I had two parallel TB installations on Win10: normal (52.x?) in my main user (admin account), 60b2 in a non admin account to test 60b with a test email account, to be safe on failures. No interaction between standard TB and the beta in the other user account were observed.
>
> Yesterday, I updated the 60b in the non admin account to 60b8 to test one of my addons. Now, in the other main win 10 user account, the 52.x (or whatever it was - the most recent version) is replaced by 60b8.
>
> How do I go back to a stable version? I don't trust all my emails to the beta.
>
> On a sideline, why can TB in non admin account overwrite the TB in another user account?
>
> any help is appreciated,
>
> Klaus

You do have a backup of your stable version 52.8.0 profile, right?

Here is what I would do:

Open Thunderbird to find the profile location using Help >
Troubleshooting Information. Click Open Directory and leave it open in
the file manager.

Exit Thunderbird.

Uninstall the beta version from your main user account.

Download and install the latest 52.8.0 version.

Delete all the folders and files from the profile you have open in the
file manager. That way you won't have any changes the beta might have
made in your profile when you restore the backup.

Open the profile backup, copy all the folders and files, paste them into
the production profile.

Close the file manager.

Start Thunderbird and it should open with the restored profile.

Sideline. You probably clicked Yes in the User Account Control window
and allowed the app to make changes to your computer.

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/installing-thunderbird-windows>

I wouldn't think it would popup when using a user account, but I get it
every time I install a beta candidate for testing and have to be very
careful to click NO.

I have no idea what happened if you used Help > About to do the update
from 60.0b2 to 60.0b8.

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
6/23/2018 8:11:24 PM
many thanks.

And no, I don't have a recent backup. I was working in another user account and that TB had a dev profile, so I didn't expect that other user account's TB to spill back into my main account.

But it is IMAP. Worst case by re-downloading, I loose my tags (which is very annoying).

But it might be a good idea to copy my imap mail folders into a new installation. Would that work? It would preserve my tags. And where are the email account settings and passwords, I would have to copy them as well, I think.

As a matter of fact, installing beta in the other user didn't affect main TB. But updating the beta using help->... did it.
0
opto
6/23/2018 9:33:54 PM
On 6/23/18 5:33 PM, opto wrote:
> many thanks.
>
> And no, I don't have a recent backup. I was working in another user account and that TB had a dev profile, so I didn't expect that other user account's TB to spill back into my main account.
>
> But it is IMAP. Worst case by re-downloading, I loose my tags (which is very annoying).
>
> But it might be a good idea to copy my imap mail folders into a new installation. Would that work? It would preserve my tags. And where are the email account settings and passwords, I would have to copy them as well, I think.
>
> As a matter of fact, installing beta in the other user didn't affect main TB. But updating the beta using help->... did it.

Copying the IMAP folders into a new installation might work. I would
just create the account again.

If you followed these instructions, updating shouldn't have changed your
production profile.

"A. *Functional testing* in new profile

1. Clean install candidate build - in a new user account on your OS
(or VM), into a NEW program directory, and using a new Thunderbird
profile.(on Windows, your account should NOT have admin privileges)"

I download and use custom installation to install the test candidate
into Downloads\thunderbird in my test user account on Windows.

Then I create a new profile using Downloads\thunderbird\thunderbird -p,
do the tests, uninstall the candidate build, install the previous
candidate, run the update check, quit the application, launch the
profile manager, delete the profile and uninstall Thunderbird again.

Never touches my main account.

You should always have backups of your production profile.