How do I make duck duck go the default search engine?

On 9-5-2018 5:13, T wrote:
> How do I make duck duck go the default search engine?

That is impossible in Thunderbird,
0
Sjouke
5/9/2018 3:18:33 AM
On 05/08/2018 08:18 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
> On 9-5-2018 5:13, T wrote:
>> How do I make duck duck go the default search engine?
>>
> That is impossible in Thunderbird,

POOP!

Thank you for the response.
On 05/08/2018 08:38 PM, T wrote:
> On 05/08/2018 08:18 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
>> On 9-5-2018 5:13, T wrote:
>>> How do I make duck duck go the default search engine?
>>>
>> That is impossible in Thunderbird,
>

> POOP!
>
> Thank you for the response.

It works here in TB38. I'll paste the answer that appeared here last
year. I'm using the method described at the top. You may need to
struggle a bit more.

------------------------------

From: Steve <nospam@klik.net>

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 13:17:47 -0500

On 2017-10-29 3:49 AM, Desiree wrote:

 > On 10/27/2017 7:29 AM, Steve wrote:

 >> On 2017-10-26 7:59 PM, Desiree wrote:

 >>> How do I add DDG as my default search engine to Thunderbird 45.8?
(The instructions at DDG's webpage apply to earlier versions of TB when
you could use the search bar to search the internet).  I want DDG as
the engine for right click context search in Thunderbird.

 >> Create a folder in your profile folder named searchplugins, and in
that folder create a new text file and save it as (unspecified type *.*)
ddg.xml.  Copy the content from https://pastebin.com/hYqbiWYw into
ddg.xml.  Open TB, and under Tools/Options/General, DuckDuckGo can now
be selected as the Default Search Engine.  Works here in TB 52 & 56.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=14688149&sid=58024816e0b6ec02af38c75336fec2d0#p14688149

 > Thank you!  I got a bit confused when trying to add the content from
pastebin.  As for the suggestion you mentioned from the Mozillazine
thread, there is another thread at Mozillazine dated right about the
same time (12/16) that says you can't add any extensions to fix the
problem as of TB 45.

 > I have a friend in IT who came up with a solution that works in 38,
45 and 52 TB.  It's tedious and not user friendly.  I was instructed to
modify a specific line and then paste it into the Code line at the top
of the error box in the TB error console.  Beginning in TB 45 search
plugins located in the searchplugins folder in my user profile are no
longer loaded automatically on startup hence the extra step.  It works
great.  DDG needs to add this to their instructions as Mozilla changed
TB 45 in regards to the auto loading of search plugins when TB is
started.  Apparently, Mozilla really wants users to use Bing.

After reading your reply, I did some more reading to find out why my
simple approach won't work in current versions of TB.  As you note, it
only worked before 45, but the result was carried forward in newer
versions, which is why I still see DDG in Options.  However, here is a
simple approach that seems to work here (TB 56b):

1. In a fresh profile, create a searchplugins folder in the profile
folder, and copy into it the desired xml files such as ddg.xml,
google.xml etc.

2. When you launch TB, the added search engines are not visible in
Options, as expected.

3. Close TB and rename search.json.mozlz4 in the profile folder to
search.json.mozlz4.OLD; a new search.json.mozlz4 is created when TB is
launched, and now the added search engines are available in Options.
0
accountholder