How can I insert a header?

Hi All,

Is there a way to insert a header in a message
before the body that we actually see?

This is the header I want to insert (sometimes):

Many thanks,
-T
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22395 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On 3/10/2018 12:07 PM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there a way to insert a header in a message
> before the body that we actually see?
>
> This is the header I want to insert (sometimes):

> Many thanks,
> -T

See <http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/>.  It has not been updated in 6 years,
however, so I do not know if it can be used with the latest version of
Thunderbird.

In any case, when (if?) Thunderbird follows Firefox and adopts
Webextensions, none of the current extensions will work.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump:  Please stop using Twitter.  We need
to hear your voice and see you talking.  We need to know
when your message is really your own and not your attorney's.
0
David
3/10/2018 10:10:54 PM
T wrote on 3/10/2018 2:07 PM:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there a way to insert a header in a message
> before the body that we actually see?
>
> This is the header I want to insert (sometimes):

> Many thanks,
> -T

There is a way to do it, but it will be added to all messages sent by TB.
To do it you must edit the preferences.

An example follows.

Mailnews.customHeaders  userset string Newsgroups

--
Ron K.
Thunderbird user since May, 2003

0
Ron
3/10/2018 11:03:21 PM
Ron K. wrote on 3/10/2018 5:03 PM:
> T wrote on 3/10/2018 2:07 PM:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is there a way to insert a header in a message
>> before the body that we actually see?
>>
>> This is the header I want to insert (sometimes):

>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
> There is a way to do it, but it will be added to all messages sent by
> TB. To do it you must edit the preferences.
>
> An example follows.
>
> Mailnews.customHeaders  userset string Newsgroups

More followup.

When composing a message there is an addressing  drop-down that has
selections of to, cc, etc. The custom header is on that list.

--
Ron K.
Thunderbird user since May, 2003

0
Ron
3/11/2018 12:14:41 AM
On 03/10/2018 04:14 PM, Ron K. wrote:
> Ron K. wrote on 3/10/2018 5:03 PM:
>> T wrote on 3/10/2018 2:07 PM:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to insert a header in a message
>>> before the body that we actually see?
>>>
>>> This is the header I want to insert (sometimes):

>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>
>> There is a way to do it, but it will be added to all messages sent by
>> TB. To do it you must edit the preferences.
>>
>> An example follows.
>>
>> Mailnews.customHeaders  userset string Newsgroups
>>
> More followup.
>
> When composing a message there is an addressing  drop-down that has
> selections of to, cc, etc. The custom header is on that list.

found it .  thank you!
On 03/10/2018 05:31 PM, T wrote:
> On 03/10/2018 04:14 PM, Ron K. wrote:
>> Ron K. wrote on 3/10/2018 5:03 PM:

>>> There is a way to do it, but it will be added to all messages sent by
>>> TB. To do it you must edit the preferences.
>>>
>>> An example follows.
>>>
>>> Mailnews.customHeaders  userset string Newsgroups
>>>
>> More followup.
>>
>> When composing a message there is an addressing  drop-down that has
>> selections of to, cc, etc. The custom header is on that list.
>>

> found it .  thank you!

mail.compose.other.header | user set | string | Precedence

Add more in a comma-separated list.

I don't know why Ron says "but it will be added to all messages"
It won't.
0
accountholder
3/11/2018 2:55:30 AM
On 3/10/2018 4:14 PM, Ron K. wrote:
> Ron K. wrote on 3/10/2018 5:03 PM:
>> T wrote on 3/10/2018 2:07 PM:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to insert a header in a message
>>> before the body that we actually see?
>>>
>>> This is the header I want to insert (sometimes):

>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>
>> There is a way to do it, but it will be added to all messages sent by
>> TB. To do it you must edit the preferences.
>>
>> An example follows.
>>
>> Mailnews.customHeaders� userset string Newsgroups
>>
> More followup.
>
> When composing a message there is an addressing� drop-down that has
> selections of to, cc, etc. The custom header is on that list.

For the "From" input area, I see "Customize From Address" among my own
addresses.

For the "To" input area, I see "To:", "Cc:", "Bcc:", "Reply-To:",
"Newsgroup:", "Followup-To:", and "Disposition-Notification-To:".  These
are all E-mail or NNTP addresses.

I do not see anything about a header field.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump:  Please stop using Twitter.  We need
to hear your voice and see you talking.  We need to know
when your message is really your own and not your attorney's.
0
David
3/11/2018 2:56:39 AM
accountholder wrote on 3/10/2018 8:55 PM:
> On 03/10/2018 05:31 PM, T wrote:

>>> More followup.
>>>
>>> When composing a message there is an addressing  drop-down that has
>>> selections of to, cc, etc. The custom header is on that list.
>>>

>> found it .  thank you!
>
> mail.compose.other.header | user set | string | Precedence
>
> Add more in a comma-separated list.
>
> I don't know why Ron says "but it will be added to all messages"
> It won't.

That was a change from the the original back around TB 2.0. Been using the
app for so long I don't remember all the revisions.

--
Ron K.
Thunderbird user since May, 2003

0
Ron
3/11/2018 4:00:01 AM
On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 18:55:30 -0800, accountholder wrote:

> Add more in a comma-separated list.

  Could you give an example, please?

Many thanks!
--
/\/\aurice
Maurice
On 2018-03-11 8:16 AM, Maurice wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 18:55:30 -0800, accountholder wrote:
>
>> Add more in a comma-separated list.
>
>    Could you give an example, please?
>
> Many thanks!

This is an old screencast I created for this feature in SeaMonkey. It
should work the same way in Thunderbird:
<http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/mailnewsfaq/XNoArchive>.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 03/11/2018 05:16 AM, Maurice wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 18:55:30 -0800, accountholder wrote:
>
>> Add more in a comma-separated list.
>
>    Could you give an example, please?
>
> Many thanks!

Chris' demo covers it, but it goes by in a hurry.

Config Editor screenshot:
<https://postimg.org/image/3rcp45a23/>
Headers all on one line, and no spaces after commas.

0
accountholder
3/11/2018 5:04:35 PM
accountholder wrote:
> Maurice wrote:
>> Could you give an example, please?
>
> Chris' demo covers it, but it goes by in a hurry.

Right-click on video, save, play with VLC and change speed.
That will slow Chris down. ;-)

-p

0
PietB