HELP!!

Hello all,

I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"

Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
I have been using for years.  Some may say "No Problem".

Well, I have a problem!!

Setting up the IMAP account did not seem to be a big deal.
However, I don't want lose all of my existing emails.
So, I simply "Move" the emails from my existing "Inbox"
to the new "Inbox".  I observe all going well, and then........
The emails end up in my original "Inbox" as unread.

Then I notice that when new emails come in to the
"new Inbox" they stay for a minute or so and then
appear in the "old Inbox". Tried a number of times.

I do see a pattern here, but, how do I fix it??

I am using v.52.9.1 (32-bit) on Win10 machine
Don't know if that matters.

I don't want to lose my previous emails.

Is there a step by step somewhere to explain this??

Again I say HELP!!.

Thanks,

Les





0
ABLE1
8/4/2018 11:42:09 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22506 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

24 Replies
84 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 25

On 08/04/2018 07:42 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> Hello all,
> 
> I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"
> 
> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
> I have been using for years.  Some may say "No Problem".
> 
> Well, I have a problem!!
> 
> Setting up the IMAP account did not seem to be a big deal.
> However, I don't want lose all of my existing emails.
> So, I simply "Move" the emails from my existing "Inbox"
> to the new "Inbox".  I observe all going well, and then........
> The emails end up in my original "Inbox" as unread.
> 
> Then I notice that when new emails come in to the
> "new Inbox" they stay for a minute or so and then
> appear in the "old Inbox". Tried a number of times.
> 
> I do see a pattern here, but, how do I fix it??
> 
> I am using v.52.9.1 (32-bit) on Win10 machine
> Don't know if that matters.
> 
> I don't want to lose my previous emails.
> 
> Is there a step by step somewhere to explain this??
> 
> Again I say HELP!!.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Les
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
Imap leaves the emails on the server, it just mirrors your desktop.  So 
when an email arrives in IMAP it's still there for your POP to see, and 
it will and it will download it.

Turn off your pop.  Uncheck both get emails on startup and get emails 
ever x minutes.

Will that help?

0
Big
8/4/2018 1:06:15 PM
ABLE1 wrote:
> Hello all,
> 
> I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"
> 
> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
> I have been using for years.  Some may say "No Problem".
> 
> Well, I have a problem!!
> 
> Setting up the IMAP account did not seem to be a big deal.
> However, I don't want lose all of my existing emails.
> So, I simply "Move" the emails from my existing "Inbox"
> to the new "Inbox".  I observe all going well, and then........
> The emails end up in my original "Inbox" as unread.
> 
> Then I notice that when new emails come in to the
> "new Inbox" they stay for a minute or so and then
> appear in the "old Inbox". Tried a number of times.
> 
> I do see a pattern here, but, how do I fix it??
> 
> I am using v.52.9.1 (32-bit) on Win10 machine
> Don't know if that matters.
> 
> I don't want to lose my previous emails.
> 
> Is there a step by step somewhere to explain this??
> 
> Again I say HELP!!.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Les
> 
Aside from the recommendation by Big Al, for your peace of mind first 
backup your emails.
https://www.wikihow.com/Back-Up-Email-Files-in-Mozilla-Thunderbird

0
Luis
8/4/2018 4:31:44 PM
On 8/4/2018 3:06 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 08/04/2018 07:42 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"
>>
>> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
>> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
>> I have been using for years.  Some may say "No Problem".
>>
>> Well, I have a problem!!
>>
>> Setting up the IMAP account did not seem to be a big deal.
>> However, I don't want lose all of my existing emails.
>> So, I simply "Move" the emails from my existing "Inbox"
>> to the new "Inbox".  I observe all going well, and then........
>> The emails end up in my original "Inbox" as unread.
>>
>> Then I notice that when new emails come in to the
>> "new Inbox" they stay for a minute or so and then
>> appear in the "old Inbox". Tried a number of times.
>>
>> I do see a pattern here, but, how do I fix it??
>>
>> I am using v.52.9.1 (32-bit) on Win10 machine
>> Don't know if that matters.
>>
>> I don't want to lose my previous emails.
>>
>> Is there a step by step somewhere to explain this??
>>
>> Again I say HELP!!.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Les
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
> Imap leaves the emails on the server, it just mirrors your desktop.  So
> when an email arrives in IMAP it's still there for your POP to see, and
> it will and it will download it.
> 
> Turn off your pop.  Uncheck both get emails on startup and get emails
> ever x minutes.
> 
> Will that help?
> 

Also note that with POP3 all e-mail is downloaded on your computer and
when you delete the POP3 account, your mail will be kept safely stored
in your Local Folders. (That is until your hard disk crashes..)

Onno
0
Onno
8/4/2018 6:25:59 PM
In article
<mailman.0.1533407181.4928.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org>,
   Onno Ekker <o.e.ekker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also note that with POP3 all e-mail is downloaded on your computer and
> when you delete the POP3 account, your mail will be kept safely stored
> in your Local Folders. (That is until your hard disk crashes..)

Thus, all the more reason to have a satisfactory and regular backup regime
and action it religiously.

Dor

I know we mostly hate the time waste involved in doing regular backups,
but A can't be bothered, or I'll get around to it one day ain't gonna cut
the mustard when something catastrophically fails.

D.

0
Ormail
8/4/2018 7:14:05 PM
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------9ADF029FB2D10544A49CD1D6
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 04/08/2018 12:42, ABLE1 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"
>
> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
> I have been using for years.  Some may say "No Problem".

Indeed.  I will also say "No Problem" !!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Well, I have a problem!!

What problem?

>
> Setting up the IMAP account did not seem to be a big deal.
> However, I don't want lose all of my existing emails.

You can use IMAP settings like your pop settings.  In other words, you 
can download your messages and save them to read them offline or after 
25 years!!!!!!!!!  There is also a settings in TB to delete the messages 
after downloading them.  So what exactly is the problem?



> < other text snipped as irrelevant >
>
>
>
>
>

Good luck.





>
>
>
>
>


-- 
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer 
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

--------------9ADF029FB2D10544A49CD1D6
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FCFBE3">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 04/08/2018 12:42, ABLE1 wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">Hello
      all, <br>
      <br>
      I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!" <br>
      <br>
      Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a <br>
      IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that <br>
      I have been using for years.  Some may say "No Problem". <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    Indeed.  I will also say "No Problem" !!!!!!!!!!!!<br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"><br>
      Well, I have a problem!! <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    What problem?<br>
    <br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"><br>
      Setting up the IMAP account did not seem to be a big deal. <br>
      However, I don't want lose all of my existing emails. <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    You can use IMAP settings like your pop settings.  In other words,
    you can download your messages and save them to read them offline or
    after 25 years!!!!!!!!!  There is also a settings in TB to delete
    the messages after downloading them.  So what exactly is the
    problem?<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">&lt;
      other text snipped as irrelevant &gt;<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    Good luck.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"><br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      <div style="width: 330px; background-color: blue; color:
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 950 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------9ADF029FB2D10544A49CD1D6--
0
UTF
8/4/2018 8:26:03 PM
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------C28C42262C0EBC7DFA22723E
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 04/08/2018 12:42, ABLE1 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"
>
> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
> I have been using for years.  Some may say "No Problem".

Indeed.  I will also say "No Problem" !!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Well, I have a problem!!

What problem?

>
> Setting up the IMAP account did not seem to be a big deal.
> However, I don't want lose all of my existing emails.

You can use IMAP settings like your pop settings.  In other words, you 
can download your messages and save them to read them offline or after 
25 years!!!!!!!!!  There is also a settings in TB to delete the messages 
after downloading them.  So what exactly is the problem?



> < other text snipped as irrelevant >
>
>
>
>
>

Good luck.



-- 
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer 
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

--------------C28C42262C0EBC7DFA22723E
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FCFBE3">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 04/08/2018 12:42, ABLE1 wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">Hello
      all,
      <br>
      <br>
      I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"
      <br>
      <br>
      Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
      <br>
      IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
      <br>
      I have been using for years.  Some may say "No Problem".
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    Indeed.  I will also say "No Problem" !!!!!!!!!!!!<br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"><br>
      Well, I have a problem!!
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    What problem?<br>
    <br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"><br>
      Setting up the IMAP account did not seem to be a big deal.
      <br>
      However, I don't want lose all of my existing emails.
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    You can use IMAP settings like your pop settings.  In other words,
    you can download your messages and save them to read them offline or
    after 25 years!!!!!!!!!  There is also a settings in TB to delete
    the messages after downloading them.  So what exactly is the
    problem?<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">&lt;
      other text snipped as irrelevant &gt;<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    Good luck.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      <div style="width: 330px; background-color: blue; color:
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 950 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------C28C42262C0EBC7DFA22723E--
0
UTF
8/4/2018 8:26:44 PM
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------9162479A5C0642C5F51B5277
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 04/08/2018 12:42, ABLE1 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>

On 04/08/2018 12:42, ABLE1 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"
>
> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
> I have been using for years.  Some may say "No Problem".

Indeed.  I will also say "No Problem" !!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Well, I have a problem!!

What problem?

>
> Setting up the IMAP account did not seem to be a big deal.
> However, I don't want lose all of my existing emails.

You can use IMAP settings like your pop settings.  In other words, you 
can download your messages and save them to read them offline or after 
25 years!!!!!!!!!  There is also a settings in TB to delete the messages 
after downloading them.  So what exactly is the problem?



> < other text snipped as irrelevant >
>
>
>
>
>

Good luck.
>
>
>
>
>


-- 
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer 
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

--------------9162479A5C0642C5F51B5277
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FCFBE3">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 04/08/2018 12:42, ABLE1 wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">Hello
      all,
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 04/08/2018 12:42, ABLE1 wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">Hello
      all, <br>
      <br>
      I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!" <br>
      <br>
      Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a <br>
      IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that <br>
      I have been using for years.  Some may say "No Problem". <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    Indeed.  I will also say "No Problem" !!!!!!!!!!!!<br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"><br>
      Well, I have a problem!! <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    What problem?<br>
    <br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"><br>
      Setting up the IMAP account did not seem to be a big deal. <br>
      However, I don't want lose all of my existing emails. <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    You can use IMAP settings like your pop settings.  In other words,
    you can download your messages and save them to read them offline or
    after 25 years!!!!!!!!!  There is also a settings in TB to delete
    the messages after downloading them.  So what exactly is the
    problem?<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">&lt;
      other text snipped as irrelevant &gt;<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    Good luck.<br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.524.1533382968.17372.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"><br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      <div style="width: 330px; background-color: blue; color:
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 950 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------9162479A5C0642C5F51B5277--
0
UTF
8/4/2018 8:43:52 PM
> Also note that with POP3 all e-mail is downloaded on your computer

That's a bit misleading.  It's also true of IMAP.  With POP3, you can choos=
e whether to delete emails on the server when you download them.  (I don't,=
 because I access my POP3 account on multiple devices.)  That's a choice th=
at's usually offered when you set up a POP3 account in your email client.
0
Stephen
8/4/2018 8:51:19 PM
On 8/4/2018 9:06 AM, Big Al wrote:
> On 08/04/2018 07:42 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"
>>
>> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
>> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
>> I have been using for years.  Some may say "No Problem".
>>
>> Well, I have a problem!!
>>
>> Setting up the IMAP account did not seem to be a big deal.
>> However, I don't want lose all of my existing emails.
>> So, I simply "Move" the emails from my existing "Inbox"
>> to the new "Inbox".  I observe all going well, and then........
>> The emails end up in my original "Inbox" as unread.
>>
>> Then I notice that when new emails come in to the
>> "new Inbox" they stay for a minute or so and then
>> appear in the "old Inbox". Tried a number of times.
>>
>> I do see a pattern here, but, how do I fix it??
>>
>> I am using v.52.9.1 (32-bit) on Win10 machine
>> Don't know if that matters.
>>
>> I don't want to lose my previous emails.
>>
>> Is there a step by step somewhere to explain this??
>>
>> Again I say HELP!!.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Les
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
> Imap leaves the emails on the server, it just mirrors your desktop.  So 
> when an email arrives in IMAP it's still there for your POP to see, and 
> it will and it will download it.
> 
> Turn off your pop.  Uncheck both get emails on startup and get emails 
> ever x minutes.
> 
> Will that help?
> 

Thanks Big Al, YES, that did help!!

Some of the other responses, not so much.
It to a while to find that screen.  But I got it.

Thanks again.

Les
0
ABLE1
8/5/2018 5:07:53 PM
On 08/05/2018 12:07 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
>=20
> Thanks Big Al, YES, that did help!!
>=20
> Some of the other responses, not so much.

*<ROFL>* One of annoyances with "Free Speech".
But it is better than the alternative!
I deal with it in two ways:
   1. Groan and ignore the children
   2. If an individual is significantly more noise than signal, I base
      a Message Filter on offending email address. Everything from that
      address is marked as read so I never see it. I don't delete it as
      it may have had useful content.

HTH

> It to a while to find that screen.=C2=A0 But I got it.
>=20
> Thanks again.
>=20
> Les


0
Richard
8/6/2018 11:05:24 AM
I need another hint.

Previously, when I was using the POP accounts I had 2 alternate
emails that were going into the same Inbox.  Not sure how I
did that but it was very convenient.

Now that I set up the IMAP accounts I can't find the trick to
get them into the same Inbox.

Can someone (maybe Big Al) give me a hint on the procedure or
is that not possible with IMAP??

Thanks in advance.

Les



0
ABLE1
8/6/2018 12:31:04 PM
On 2018-08-06 13:31, ABLE1 wrote:
> I need another hint.
>
> Previously, when I was using the POP accounts I had 2 alternate
> emails that were going into the same Inbox.=C2=A0 Not sure how I
> did that but it was very convenient.
>
> Now that I set up the IMAP accounts I can't find the trick to
> get them into the same Inbox.
>
> Can someone (maybe Big Al) give me a hint on the procedure or
> is that not possible with IMAP??
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Les
>
You an do this with POP-based accounts only. Account Settings, Server=20
Settings=E2=86=92Advanced

There you can select the Global Inbox under Local Folders, or (ISTR)=20
another account's Inbox.

Using the Global Inbox effectively hides the account from the accounts=20
list. I find that too disorientating, so would never use this feature.

View|Folders|Unread suits me to locate new material.

Some users like View|Folders Unified which allows all your Inboxes to be =

presented as one composite (virtual) folder. (Ditto for other standard=20
folders such as Trash, Sent, Junk etc).

Unified view has a few too many glitches for my liking, such as=20
inaccurate totals reporting.

--=20
Chris

0
Chris
8/6/2018 12:42:07 PM
On 8/6/2018 8:42 AM, Chris Ramsden wrote:
> You an do this with POP-based accounts only.

Thanks Chris,

Well, you answered my question in the first sentence.

Since I can't use POP any more, then I am stuck with what I got.
Personally, I found it very convenient to have accumulate in the same
Inbox.  May have issues as you stated but those were of minimal importance.

I will now just have to adjust to a new format.

Thanks again,

Les




0
ABLE1
8/6/2018 3:48:11 PM
On 8/4/18 7:42 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> Hello all,
> 
> I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"
> 
> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
> I have been using for years.  


I just switched to Comcast late last year, and so far haven't seen any 
letters from them saying I need to switch my account to IMAP.

Maybe after my trial runs out and they up the price.

-- 
CPU: 3.2 Ghz AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 Processor
RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
0
WaltS48
8/6/2018 6:40:33 PM
On Mon Aug 06 2018 14:40:33 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), WaltS48
<schw01@REMOVEverizon.net> wrote:
> On 8/4/18 7:42 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
>> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
>> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
>> I have been using for years.  

> I just switched to Comcast late last year, and so far haven't seen any 
> letters from them saying I need to switch my account to IMAP.

It is extremely unwise to use your ISP for your email service. Not only
are they usually unreliable (at best), it is very problematic when (not
if) the time comes to change ISPs.

My strong recommendation to family, friends and anyone I do work for:

Use one of the free (e.g. gmail, outlook.com, etc) services, or better,
a paid (e.g. fastmail, or your own if you are technically inclined)
service, then, when signing up with a new ISP, simply log into the
assigned email account, and set it to forward to your regular email (or
set up your regular email to poll it).
0
Tanstaafl
8/6/2018 7:47:37 PM
On 8/6/2018 2:40 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 8/4/18 7:42 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"
>>
>> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
>> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
>> I have been using for years. 
> 
> 
> I just switched to Comcast late last year, and so far haven't seen any 
> letters from them saying I need to switch my account to IMAP.
> 
> Maybe after my trial runs out and they up the price.
> 

LOL With Comcast the price always goes up after.................

I questioned the email as well and before clicking on anything
I contacted them.  And yes it was legit.  They put a date on
the need to be done by 9/12 because of some reason.
A portion of the email is below. It may be geographical in nature.

> Updates to your email settings
> are needed
> 
> We suggest you update your settings to improve the security of your email service. Since you use an email application (Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) with a ‘POP’ setting to access your Comcast.net email, you’ll need to update to your email settings by 9/12/18 so you can continue to receive your Comcast.net email through the application.

At this point I seem to be Ok.

Now I have to attack my wife's machine.
Which will have different long term effects.

Later,

Les





0
ABLE1
8/6/2018 8:27:38 PM
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------F981E0FCD0401A7B2265DD72
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

On 06/08/2018 21:27, ABLE1 wrote:
> We suggest you update your settings to improve the security of your 
> email service. Since you use an email application (Outlook, Apple 
> Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) with a ‘POP’ setting to access your 
> Comcast.net email, you’ll need to update to your email settings by 
> 9/12/18 so you can continue to receive your Comcast.net email through 
> the application. 

I don't think it says you have change your settings to IMAP.  they might 
be saying that you have to upgrade the security settings to "oath"  but 
this has been happening to all eMail providers and users are just 
ignoring it and it is not affecting anybody.  I have ignored it for 
months;  I use yahoo, gMail, outlook, AOL and they all wants people to 
use latest security features.

Good luck to your settings adventure.



-- 
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer 
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

--------------F981E0FCD0401A7B2265DD72
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FCFBE3">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 06/08/2018 21:27, ABLE1 wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.72.1533589343.4927.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">We
      suggest you update your settings to improve the security of your
      email service. Since you use an email application (Outlook, Apple
      Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) with a ‘POP’ setting to access your
      Comcast.net email, you’ll need to update to your email settings by
      9/12/18 so you can continue to receive your Comcast.net email
      through the application.
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    I don't think it says you have change your settings to IMAP.  they
    might be saying that you have to upgrade the security settings to
    "oath"  but this has been happening to all eMail providers and users
    are just ignoring it and it is not affecting anybody.  I have
    ignored it for months;  I use yahoo, gMail, outlook, AOL and they
    all wants people to use latest security features.<br>
    <br>
    Good luck to your settings adventure.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      <div style="width: 330px; background-color: blue; color:
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 950 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------F981E0FCD0401A7B2265DD72--
0
UTF
8/6/2018 9:12:19 PM
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------049ACEF628DBFA3E13BE34BF
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I received the letter from Xfinity/Comcast the same as you did, BUT 
there was another part to the email. There are 2 options:

*Switch from POP to IMAP*

We recommend using IMAP for a more consistent way to access your email. 
Click here 
<https://emails.xfinity.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DYQpglLjHJlYQGnDCFkgzb3pReJTaczdzd1lapNrze5AqkGoRuEuPqbFA9EejL4updfVXtpKX%3DSBRDACUY&_ei_=EolaGGF4SNMvxFF7KucKuWMMwuZigBAjoBrzF2sT3RnoR-YowSAE18RhxGhzlGq3-ZK82aOfppzJR05yUbX8EL8wbwluHa2pQCUu2OEhJ-xlWvDEXWQgAW5efwnT4rtZk_iEvGiKeZxe.> 
for step-by-step instructions on how to quickly make this change, and 
learn more about the differences between POP and IMAP.

*Update the POP port setting*

If you prefer to use your current POP settings to access your email, 
then you’ll need to update the Incoming Mail Server Port Number from 110 
to 995. Click here 
<https://emails.xfinity.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DYQpglLjHJlYQGnDCFkgzb3pReJTaczdzd1lapNrze5AqkGoRuEuPqbFA9EejL4updfVXtpKX%3DSBRDACYY&_ei_=EolaGGF4SNMvxFF7KucKuWMMwuZigBAjoBrzF2sT3RnoR-YowSAE18RhxGhzlGq3-ZK82aOfppzJR05yUbX8EL8wbwluHa2pQCUu2OEhJ-xlWvDEXWQgAW5efwnT4rtZk_iEvGiKeZxe.> 
and we’ll guide you through making this update.

I haven't done anything about it yet, but I will pursue option 2....

Al


ABLE1 wrote on 8/6/2018 4:27 PM:
> On 8/6/2018 2:40 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> > On 8/4/18 7:42 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"
> >>
> >> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
> >> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
> >> I have been using for years. 
> > 
> > 
> > I just switched to Comcast late last year, and so far haven't seen any 
> > letters from them saying I need to switch my account to IMAP.
> > 
> > Maybe after my trial runs out and they up the price.
> > 
>
> LOL With Comcast the price always goes up after.................
>
> I questioned the email as well and before clicking on anything
> I contacted them.  And yes it was legit.  They put a date on
> the need to be done by 9/12 because of some reason.
> A portion of the email is below. It may be geographical in nature.
>
> > Updates to your email settings
> > are needed
> > 
> > We suggest you update your settings to improve the security of your email service. Since you use an email application (Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) with a ‘POP’ setting to access your Comcast.net email, you’ll need to update to your email settings by 9/12/18 so you can continue to receive your Comcast.net email through the application.
>
> At this point I seem to be Ok.
>
> Now I have to attack my wife's machine.
> Which will have different long term effects.
>
> Later,
>
> Les
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> support-thunderbird mailing list
> support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-thunderbird
> To unsubscribe, send an email to support-thunderbird-request@lists.mozilla.org?subject=unsubscribe


--------------049ACEF628DBFA3E13BE34BF
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    I received the letter from Xfinity/Comcast the same as you did, BUT
    there was another part to the email. There are 2 options:<br>
    <br>
    <b>Switch from POP to IMAP</b> <br>
    <br>
    We recommend using IMAP for a more consistent way to access your
    email. <a
href="https://emails.xfinity.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DYQpglLjHJlYQGnDCFkgzb3pReJTaczdzd1lapNrze5AqkGoRuEuPqbFA9EejL4updfVXtpKX%3DSBRDACUY&amp;_ei_=EolaGGF4SNMvxFF7KucKuWMMwuZigBAjoBrzF2sT3RnoR-YowSAE18RhxGhzlGq3-ZK82aOfppzJR05yUbX8EL8wbwluHa2pQCUu2OEhJ-xlWvDEXWQgAW5efwnT4rtZk_iEvGiKeZxe."
      style="font-weight:normal; text-decoration:underline;">Click here</a>
    for step-by-step instructions on how to quickly make this change,
    and learn more about the differences between POP and IMAP. <br>
    <br>
    <b>Update the POP port setting</b> <br>
    <br>
    If you prefer to use your current POP settings to access your email,
    then you’ll need to update the Incoming Mail Server Port Number from
    110 to 995. <a
href="https://emails.xfinity.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DYQpglLjHJlYQGnDCFkgzb3pReJTaczdzd1lapNrze5AqkGoRuEuPqbFA9EejL4updfVXtpKX%3DSBRDACYY&amp;_ei_=EolaGGF4SNMvxFF7KucKuWMMwuZigBAjoBrzF2sT3RnoR-YowSAE18RhxGhzlGq3-ZK82aOfppzJR05yUbX8EL8wbwluHa2pQCUu2OEhJ-xlWvDEXWQgAW5efwnT4rtZk_iEvGiKeZxe."
      style="font-weight:normal; text-decoration:underline;">Click here</a>
    and we’ll guide you through making this update. <br>
    <br>
    I haven't done anything about it yet, but I will pursue option 2....<br>
    <br>
    Al<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">ABLE1 wrote on 8/6/2018 4:27 PM:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:g-ednTxfTdCjMvXGnZ2dnUU7-c_NnZ2d@mozilla.org">
      <pre wrap="">On 8/6/2018 2:40 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
&gt; On 8/4/18 7:42 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
&gt;&gt; Hello all,
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; I don't know what else to say other than "HELP!!"
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
&gt;&gt; IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
&gt;&gt; I have been using for years. 
&gt; 
&gt; 
&gt; I just switched to Comcast late last year, and so far haven't seen any 
&gt; letters from them saying I need to switch my account to IMAP.
&gt; 
&gt; Maybe after my trial runs out and they up the price.
&gt; 

LOL With Comcast the price always goes up after.................

I questioned the email as well and before clicking on anything
I contacted them.  And yes it was legit.  They put a date on
the need to be done by 9/12 because of some reason.
A portion of the email is below. It may be geographical in nature.

&gt; Updates to your email settings
&gt; are needed
&gt; 
&gt; We suggest you update your settings to improve the security of your email service. Since you use an email application (Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) with a ‘POP’ setting to access your Comcast.net email, you’ll need to update to your email settings by 9/12/18 so you can continue to receive your Comcast.net email through the application.

At this point I seem to be Ok.

Now I have to attack my wife's machine.
Which will have different long term effects.

Later,

Les





_______________________________________________
support-thunderbird mailing list
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-thunderbird">https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-thunderbird</a>
To unsubscribe, send an email to <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:support-thunderbird-request@lists.mozilla.org?subject=unsubscribe">support-thunderbird-request@lists.mozilla.org?subject=unsubscribe</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------049ACEF628DBFA3E13BE34BF--
0
Al
8/6/2018 9:17:25 PM
On 08/06/2018 05:12 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
> On 06/08/2018 21:27, ABLE1 wrote:
>> We suggest you update your settings to improve the security of your 
>> email service. Since you use an email application (Outlook, Apple 
>> Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) with a ‘POP’ setting to access your 
>> Comcast.net email, you’ll need to update to your email settings by 
>> 9/12/18 so you can continue to receive your Comcast.net email through 
>> the application. 
> 
> I don't think it says you have change your settings to IMAP.  they might 
> be saying that you have to upgrade the security settings to "oath"  but 
> this has been happening to all eMail providers and users are just 
> ignoring it and it is not affecting anybody.  I have ignored it for 
> months;  I use yahoo, gMail, outlook, AOL and they all wants people to 
> use latest security features.
> 
> Good luck to your settings adventure.
> 
> 
> 


The OAuth2 is for IMAP only. Doesn't work with POP3.
You need to fix your sig delimiter.

-- 
Caver1
0
Caver1
8/6/2018 11:18:46 PM
On 8/6/2018 5:17 PM, Al Lawrence wrote:
> I received the letter from Xfinity/Comcast the same as you did, BUT 
> there was another part to the email. There are 2 options:
> 
> *Switch from POP to IMAP*
> 
> We recommend using IMAP for a more consistent way to access your email. 
> Click here 
> <https://emails.xfinity.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DYQpglLjHJlYQGnDCFkgzb3pReJTaczdzd1lapNrze5AqkGoRuEuPqbFA9EejL4updfVXtpKX%3DSBRDACUY&_ei_=EolaGGF4SNMvxFF7KucKuWMMwuZigBAjoBrzF2sT3RnoR-YowSAE18RhxGhzlGq3-ZK82aOfppzJR05yUbX8EL8wbwluHa2pQCUu2OEhJ-xlWvDEXWQgAW5efwnT4rtZk_iEvGiKeZxe.> 
> for step-by-step instructions on how to quickly make this change, and 
> learn more about the differences between POP and IMAP.
> 
> *Update the POP port setting*
> 
> If you prefer to use your current POP settings to access your email, 
> then you’ll need to update the Incoming Mail Server Port Number from 110 
> to 995. Click here 
> <https://emails.xfinity.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DYQpglLjHJlYQGnDCFkgzb3pReJTaczdzd1lapNrze5AqkGoRuEuPqbFA9EejL4updfVXtpKX%3DSBRDACYY&_ei_=EolaGGF4SNMvxFF7KucKuWMMwuZigBAjoBrzF2sT3RnoR-YowSAE18RhxGhzlGq3-ZK82aOfppzJR05yUbX8EL8wbwluHa2pQCUu2OEhJ-xlWvDEXWQgAW5efwnT4rtZk_iEvGiKeZxe.> 
> and we’ll guide you through making this update.
> 
> I haven't done anything about it yet, but I will pursue option 2....
> 
> Al

Yes, I saw that as well.  But, thought maybe I should switch to IMAP.
Not that I understand the difference. Never really have.  Just so it
works.  I did have someone that said they did not receive my email
today.  Could be for a multitude of other reasons.  However, now that I 
have played with it (so to speak) I may go back to POP.
I will give it a few more days to see if something else will convince
me one way or the other.

Thanks,

Les





0
ABLE1
8/7/2018 12:08:50 AM
On 08/06/2018 02:47 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On Mon Aug 06 2018 14:40:33 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), WaltS48
> <schw01@REMOVEverizon.net> wrote:
>> On 8/4/18 7:42 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
>>> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
>>> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
>>> I have been using for years.
> 
>> I just switched to Comcast late last year, and so far haven't seen any
>> letters from them saying I need to switch my account to IMAP.
> 
> It is extremely unwise to use your ISP for your email service. Not only
> are they usually unreliable (at best), it is very problematic when (not
> if) the time comes to change ISPs.
> 
> My strong recommendation to family, friends and anyone I do work for:
> 
> Use one of the free (e.g. gmail, outlook.com, etc) services, or better,
> a paid (e.g. fastmail, or your own if you are technically inclined)
> service, then, when signing up with a new ISP, simply log into the
> assigned email account, and set it to forward to your regular email (or
> set up your regular email to poll it).
> 

In my opinion "free" can _cost_ too much.
I use paid email and USENET providers.
I've been a customer of one sort or another of my email provider for 
decades. They began as a storefront retail computer store and have 
evolved into services to medium sized businesses in the area. It is a 
pleasant experience to troubleshoot the rare problems.


0
Richard
8/7/2018 11:27:23 AM
On 2018-08-06 15:47, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On Mon Aug 06 2018 14:40:33 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), WaltS48
> <schw01@REMOVEverizon.net> wrote:
>> On 8/4/18 7:42 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
>>> Comcast sent me a love letter saying that I need to set up a
>>> IMAP account in Thunderbird rather than the POP account that
>>> I have been using for years.
> 
>> I just switched to Comcast late last year, and so far haven't seen any
>> letters from them saying I need to switch my account to IMAP.
> 
> It is extremely unwise to use your ISP for your email service. Not only
> are they usually unreliable (at best), it is very problematic when (not
> if) the time comes to change ISPs.

That seems to be the experience in the US, but nit so much elsewhere. 
Wonder why.

[snip good advice]



-- 
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
It's called an "opinion" because it's not a fact.
0
Wolf
8/7/2018 1:16:29 PM
On Mon Aug 06 2018 11:48:11 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), ABLE1
<someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
> On 8/6/2018 8:42 AM, Chris Ramsden wrote:
>> You an do this with POP-based accounts only.
> 
> Thanks Chris,
> 
> Well, you answered my question in the first sentence.
> 
> Since I can't use POP any more, then I am stuck with what I got.
> Personally, I found it very convenient to have accumulate in the same
> Inbox.  May have issues as you stated but those were of minimal importance.
> 
> I will now just have to adjust to a new format.

Or just create a Virtual Folder called 'Inboxes' (or whatever) that
includes all of your Inboxes...
0
Tanstaafl
8/20/2018 7:20:55 PM
On 08/20/2018 03:20 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On Mon Aug 06 2018 11:48:11 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), ABLE1
> <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
>> On 8/6/2018 8:42 AM, Chris Ramsden wrote:
>>> You an do this with POP-based accounts only.
>>
>> Thanks Chris,
>>
>> Well, you answered my question in the first sentence.
>>
>> Since I can't use POP any more, then I am stuck with what I got.
>> Personally, I found it very convenient to have accumulate in the same
>> Inbox.  May have issues as you stated but those were of minimal importance.
>>
>> I will now just have to adjust to a new format.
> 
> Or just create a Virtual Folder called 'Inboxes' (or whatever) that
> includes all of your Inboxes...
> 
You don't need a virtual inbox.  Thunderbird has "Unified Inboxes".
On the menu bar do View->Toolbars and make sure "folder pane toolbar" is 
checked.   Above the folder view on the left you change the title at the 
top to Unified.   You get one inbox that shows all inboxes (same with 
others).   If you hit the little > arrow, you'll see the individual 
boxes if you wish.

0
Big
8/20/2018 9:39:09 PM
Reply: