Help appreciated: Tags on emails dissappeared + Emails disappeared

Hi all,

I have been presented with two problems simultaneously:

1. I started using tags on my emails around 5 months ago and it has worked =
perfectly until now. I have been using tags to tag certain emails 'Importan=
t', 'Work', 'To Do', 'Later' etc. I have been tagging emails from two IMAP =
accounts. I have collected all these tagged emails in one single sort folde=
r for convenience and this folder is located in the folder pane for one of =
the two accounts - let's call the account where tagged emails folder is 'Ac=
count 1' and the other account 'Account 2'. Unfortunately, I opened up my T=
B a few days ago and I noticed that all the tags on the emails in Account 2=
 had disappeared and were therefore no longer in the sort folder. Strangely=
, all the tagged emails from Account 1 were still intact. I can't think of =
any reason for this. I spent a significant amount of time curating the tags=
 on the emails which have now disappeared so I would very much appreciate a=
 solution to get the missing tabs back. If any of you could have any ideas =
how I could do this and are able to help I would very much appreciate it. L=
uckily, I did a full system backup of my computer before the loss of tags h=
appened. Would I somehow be able to use the TB profile backup files to fix =
this? If so, how and with which files?

2. At the same time, I noticed that most of my emails from Account 1 had di=
sappeared - I had all recent emails and a few of my oldest emails on this a=
ccount but all emails from period of 7 years have completely disappeared. A=
gain, I would very much appreciate it if someone could please help me resto=
re these emails as there are many important and personal emails which I wou=
ld be upset to lose.

As mentioned, I did do a backup before this happened but I'm not sure how t=
o go about using the backup files in order to get back to a previous state =
without messing up again. So I would like to try and fix this as carefully =
as possible without any hiccups!

I have no idea how or why this loss of tags or emails could have happened. =
If any of you could please help, I would be very grateful!

Thank you.
0
bugzilla123
4/5/2018 7:32:08 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22506 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

3 Replies
51 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 57

I had similiar to your 2) happen several times (=3D disappearaing of a majo=
r amount of emails in TB).
At least in one case I could pin it to TB crashing because of lack of memor=
y on C (only 20 MB left due to Windows downloading large update). It seems =
that destroyed the local message database.

As you say your accounts are IMAP, then the emails should still be on the s=
erver.
In my case (IMAP also), I solved the problem by deleting the account and re=
establishing it - TB then downloads all messages from the IMAP server. Bewa=
re - if your IMAP server does not store tags (it is not required by standar=
d to do) - you wil ge your emails back, but not the tags.

In my case, the emails were in addition still there in the profile folder, =
I had an old inbox file of 16GB, but I did not find advise how to connect T=
B to the old inbox file. After the crash TB had created a new numbered inbo=
x file (like inbox1 instad of inbox).

So you could verify whether the old inbox file is still there in aadition t=
o a new one, maybe someone knows how to proceed then
0
opto
4/6/2018 7:29:06 AM
On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 8:31:55 AM UTC+1, opto wrote:
> I had similiar to your 2) happen several times (=3D disappearaing of a ma=
jor amount of emails in TB).
> At least in one case I could pin it to TB crashing because of lack of mem=
ory on C (only 20 MB left due to Windows downloading large update). It seem=
s that destroyed the local message database.
>=20
> As you say your accounts are IMAP, then the emails should still be on the=
 server.
> In my case (IMAP also), I solved the problem by deleting the account and =
reestablishing it - TB then downloads all messages from the IMAP server. Be=
ware - if your IMAP server does not store tags (it is not required by stand=
ard to do) - you wil ge your emails back, but not the tags.
>=20
> In my case, the emails were in addition still there in the profile folder=
, I had an old inbox file of 16GB, but I did not find advise how to connect=
 TB to the old inbox file. After the crash TB had created a new numbered in=
box file (like inbox1 instad of inbox).
>=20
> So you could verify whether the old inbox file is still there in aadition=
 to a new one, maybe someone knows how to proceed then

Thank you for your message.

I have logged in to Account 1 (the account on which emails have disappeared=
) using a web browser and the emails have disappeared there as well - so I =
think the emails are no longer on the server either. So unfortunately, I do=
n't think this method would work.

The relevant email folders/files exist in the TB profile directory but thes=
e are the folders/files which correspond to after the huge loss of emails f=
rom Account 1 and loss of tags from Account 2.

I did do a backup to an external drive before this loss occurred and I have=
 located the TB profile directory on this drive. I have also located the IN=
BOX file and the INBOX.msf file for Account 1 and the INBOX.msf, INBOX-1, a=
nd INBOX-1.msf files for Account 2.

Could I simply replace only these relevant files from before the data loss =
with those after the loss?
If I did this, would I somehow not be able to get back all the emails I hav=
e received in both Account 1 and Account 2 since I did the backup? I mean, =
would the inboxes of Account 1 and Account 2 return to their previous state=
 before the data loss but then somehow be unable to update with the emails =
I have received recently? If they are able return to their previous state a=
nd also to update, then this seems like it could be a good method but this =
is the only potential solution I can think of.

Also, where/in which files is the metadata for tags/tagged emails stored? I=
s this stored in the INBOX, INBOX.msf, etc. files mentioned above as well? =
If so, then presumably the tag metadata would reappear on the relevant emai=
ls if I replace the new files with the backup files?

Again, would be much appreciated if anyone could chime in with any help/adv=
ice!
0
bugzilla123
4/6/2018 10:44:26 AM
On 2018-04-06 03:29, opto wrote:
> I had similiar to your 2) happen several times (= disappearaing of a major amount of emails in TB).
> At least in one case I could pin it to TB crashing because of lack of memory on C (only 20 MB left due to Windows downloading large update). It seems that destroyed the local message database.
> 
> As you say your accounts are IMAP, then the emails should still be on the server.
> In my case (IMAP also), I solved the problem by deleting the account and reestablishing it - TB then downloads all messages from the IMAP server. Beware - if your IMAP server does not store tags (it is not required by standard to do) - you wil ge your emails back, but not the tags.
> 
> In my case, the emails were in addition still there in the profile folder, I had an old inbox file of 16GB, but I did not find advise how to connect TB to the old inbox file. After the crash TB had created a new numbered inbox file (like inbox1 instad of inbox).
 >
> So you could verify whether the old inbox file is still there in aadition to a new one, maybe someone knows how to proceed then

Since you know how to find the old Inbox, do this:

a) Rename the old Inbox to "Inbox-old" or whatever you like.
b) Copy it into the same folder as the new Inbox.
c) Restart Tbird. You will see "Inbox-old".

Do the same for the old Sent if necessary.

I've used the above  method to move Inbox etc from one account to another.

Unsolicited advice:
A 16GB Inbox file is way too large. That's one reason your TBird 
crashed. If you have Moved or Deleted messages from it, be aware that 
these messages are not in fact removed. Instead, they are marked "Do Not 
Display".
To remove them, Compact the folder:
a) Make sure Menu bar is visible
b) Left-click the account (address) or Local Folders if that's what 
you're using.
c) On the menu bar, click on File -> Compact Folders
Wait. With a 16GB file, it will take a long time.

FWIW, I have created a number of Folders and Subfolders for each of my 
email accounts (addresses), and regularly clean out Inbox and Sent. I 
Delete, Move, and then Compact. About twice a year, I Save the whole 
Profile to the data drive (see below), then Delete most of the mail. 
Basically, I keep only what's current.

Regarding protecting data:
Mail that is worth archiving is saved individually using Save As, in a 
folder tree _outside_ Thunderbird on the Data drive (it's a 2nd physical 
internal drive, which is backed up regularly to an external drive). That 
way, a crash (such as you experienced) will not destroy or hide emails. 
If that procedure sounds somewhat paranoid, well, some years ago I lost 
data because I didn't protect it properly....

Best,


-- 
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"The next conference for the time travel design team will be held two 
weeks ago."
0
Wolf
4/6/2018 2:07:38 PM
Reply: