GMail nitpick

Using thr GMail interface in TB, when I get some mail in my Inbox the
mail also gets placed as if it were in a couple of other folders like
"All Mail" and "Important". When I read the mail in my Inbox, TB marks
it as read in my Inbox but still treats it as unread in my other
folders, so it still shows the GMail account as if I have unread mail
there. Even if I delete the mail from my Inbox folder TB still acts like
I have copies of the mail in my other folder and treats the account as
having unread messages. It is only when I open the other folder(s) does
TB realize that there is no mail there and finally treats the account as
having no Unread messages. Can this be fixed ? Is it a bug with TB or
GMail ? Has it been reported anywhere ?
0
Edward
3/12/2018 2:53:00 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22421 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 22:53:00 -0400, Edward Diener wrote:

> Using thr GMail interface in TB, when I get some mail in my Inbox the
> mail also gets placed as if it were in a couple of other folders like
> "All Mail" and "Important". When I read the mail in my Inbox, TB marks
> it as read in my Inbox but still treats it as unread in my other
> folders, so it still shows the GMail account as if I have unread mail
> there. Even if I delete the mail from my Inbox folder TB still acts like
> I have copies of the mail in my other folder and treats the account as
> having unread messages. It is only when I open the other folder(s) does
> TB realize that there is no mail there and finally treats the account as
> having no Unread messages. Can this be fixed ? Is it a bug with TB or
> GMail ? Has it been reported anywhere ?

I use TB for a gmail account all the time. I even don't have these other
folders you mention. Are you sure they don't come from some extension you
have installed and it's this one that behaves badly, not TB.

Herman Viaene
0
Herman
3/12/2018 9:26:34 AM

On 2018-03-12 09:26, Herman Viaene wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 22:53:00 -0400, Edward Diener wrote:
>
>> Using thr GMail interface in TB, when I get some mail in my Inbox the
>> mail also gets placed as if it were in a couple of other folders like
>> "All Mail" and "Important". When I read the mail in my Inbox, TB marks
>> it as read in my Inbox but still treats it as unread in my other
>> folders, so it still shows the GMail account as if I have unread mail
>> there. Even if I delete the mail from my Inbox folder TB still acts like
>> I have copies of the mail in my other folder and treats the account as
>> having unread messages. It is only when I open the other folder(s) does
>> TB realize that there is no mail there and finally treats the account as
>> having no Unread messages. Can this be fixed ? Is it a bug with TB or
>> GMail ? Has it been reported anywhere ?
> I use TB for a gmail account all the time. I even don't have these other
> folders you mention. Are you sure they don't come from some extension you
> have installed and it's this one that behaves badly, not TB.
>
> Herman Viaene

"Important" and other such folders are created and populated by gmail.
You can go to the gmail website and select which folders are to be
offered via IMAP. Then at least one source of duplication and consequent
asynchronicity can be eliminated.

For my money, there is near to no value in having the "All Mail" folder
visible in Thunderbird. So I unsubscribe or disable that too.

There is an old electrical engineering maxim: eliminate interference at
source. Applying that rule here, and assuming you have no use for them,
it's best to stop gmail from creating these folders in the first place,
rather than leaving them in place and asking Thunderbird to deal with
them. So, in order of preference:
1. suppress the unwanted folders at gmail if possible (e.g. "Important")
2. deselect them as IMAP folders, again on the gmail site (e.g. "All Mail")
3. unsubscribe them in Thunderbird
4. filter them in Thunderbird

--
Chris
0
On 3/12/2018 5:45 AM, Chris Ramsden wrote:

> On 2018-03-12 09:26, Herman Viaene wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 22:53:00 -0400, Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>>> Using thr GMail interface in TB, when I get some mail in my Inbox the
>>> mail also gets placed as if it were in a couple of other folders like
>>> "All Mail" and "Important". When I read the mail in my Inbox, TB marks
>>> it as read in my Inbox but still treats it as unread in my other
>>> folders, so it still shows the GMail account as if I have unread mail
>>> there. Even if I delete the mail from my Inbox folder TB still acts like
>>> I have copies of the mail in my other folder and treats the account as
>>> having unread messages. It is only when I open the other folder(s) does
>>> TB realize that there is no mail there and finally treats the account as
>>> having no Unread messages. Can this be fixed ? Is it a bug with TB or
>>> GMail ? Has it been reported anywhere ?
>> I use TB for a gmail account all the time. I even don't have these other
>> folders you mention. Are you sure they don't come from some extension you
>> have installed and it's this one that behaves badly, not TB.
>>
>> Herman Viaene
>>
> "Important" and other such folders are created and populated by gmail.
> You can go to the gmail website and select which folders are to be
> offered via IMAP. Then at least one source of duplication and consequent
> asynchronicity can be eliminated.

Removing the folders from IMAP under GMail got rid of them under TB.
Thanks for your help !