Gmail insist Thunderbird is less secure

I´m up to my neck with Gmail and his paranoid security measures.
Now in one of my accounts they repeatedly advice me "Thunderbird is a
less secure old client". My Thunderbird version is 60.0b2.
Is the beta version the cause or is that they get confused at the moment
they forward activities to security agencies and to any one paying for
tracking information?

OT: But, the language issue in Google Search is really insane. I move to
Germany they change to German, I move to South America and they change
to Spanish, I go to UK change back to English. The funny thing is that
while in Japan they changed to Japanese despite of the fact that the few
phrases I know are "arigato gosaimas", "Domo yoroshiku" and so on, plus
some Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana symbols.
Now I must go to Abu Dhabi... :(
I hate Google.
0
Luis
4/7/2018 4:04:25 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22469 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

On 04/07/2018 06:04 PM, Luis wrote:
> I´m up to my neck with Gmail and his paranoid security measures.
> Now in one of my accounts they repeatedly advice me "Thunderbird is a
> less secure old client". My Thunderbird version is 60.0b2.
> Is the beta version the cause

No.
For a production system I would recommend the release version though.

> or is that they get confused at the moment
> they forward activities to security agencies and to any one paying for
> tracking information?

Don't be silly.
Set up your account as IMAP and use 'OAuth2' as 'Authentication method'
in your account settings.

> OT: But, the language issue in Google Search is really insane. I move to
> Germany they change to German, I move to South America and they change
> to Spanish, I go to UK change back to English. The funny thing is that
> while in Japan they changed to Japanese despite of the fact that the few
> phrases I know are "arigato gosaimas", "Domo yoroshiku" and so on, plus
> some Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana symbols.
> Now I must go to Abu Dhabi... :(
> I hate Google.

There are workarounds. Google is your friend.

0
Christian
4/7/2018 4:44:58 PM
Christian Riechers wrote:
> On 04/07/2018 06:04 PM, Luis wrote:
>> I´m up to my neck with Gmail and his paranoid security measures.
>> Now in one of my accounts they repeatedly advice me "Thunderbird is a
>> less secure old client". My Thunderbird version is 60.0b2.
>> Is the beta version the cause
>
> No.
> For a production system I would recommend the release version though.
>
>> or is that they get confused at the moment
>> they forward activities to security agencies and to any one paying for
>> tracking information?
>
> Don't be silly.
> Set up your account as IMAP and use 'OAuth2' as 'Authentication method'
> in your account settings.

Talking about silly billies, why do you suppose my account is not
already configured as you suggest?

>> OT: But, the language issue in Google Search is really insane. I move to
>> Germany they change to German, I move to South America and they change
>> to Spanish, I go to UK change back to English. The funny thing is that
>> while in Japan they changed to Japanese despite of the fact that the few
>> phrases I know are "arigato gosaimas", "Domo yoroshiku" and so on, plus
>> some Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana symbols.
>> Now I must go to Abu Dhabi... :(
>> I hate Google.
>
> There are workarounds. Google is your friend.

Do you mean workarounds like Bing, DuckDuckGo, IxQuick or Yandex? Yes.
In the Gate now. Cya.

0
Luis
4/7/2018 8:22:25 PM
On 4/7/18 10:22 PM, Luis wrote:
> Christian Riechers wrote:
>> On 04/07/2018 06:04 PM, Luis wrote:
>>> I´m up to my neck with Gmail and his paranoid security measures.
>>> Now in one of my accounts they repeatedly advice me "Thunderbird is a
>>> less secure old client". My Thunderbird version is 60.0b2.
>>> Is the beta version the cause
>>
>> No.
>> For a production system I would recommend the release version though.
>>
>>> or is that they get confused at the moment
>>> they forward activities to security agencies and to any one paying for
>>> tracking information?
>>
>> Don't be silly.
>> Set up your account as IMAP and use 'OAuth2' as 'Authentication method'
>> in your account settings.
>
> Talking about silly billies, why do you suppose my account is not
> already configured as you suggest?

Because you didn't say it is in your OP.
>>> OT: But, the language issue in Google Search is really insane. I move to
>>> Germany they change to German, I move to South America and they change
>>> to Spanish, I go to UK change back to English. The funny thing is that
>>> while in Japan they changed to Japanese despite of the fact that the few
>>> phrases I know are "arigato gosaimas", "Domo yoroshiku" and so on, plus
>>> some Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana symbols.
>>> Now I must go to Abu Dhabi... :(
>>> I hate Google.
>>
>> There are workarounds. Google is your friend.
>>
> Do you mean workarounds like Bing, DuckDuckGo, IxQuick or Yandex? Yes.
> In the Gate now. Cya.

No.

0
Christian
4/8/2018 7:31:22 AM
On 4/7/18 12:04 PM, Luis wrote:
> I´m up to my neck with Gmail and his paranoid security measures.
> Now in one of my accounts they repeatedly advice me "Thunderbird is a
> less secure old client". My Thunderbird version is 60.0b2.
> Is the beta version the cause or is that they get confused at the
> moment they forward activities to security agencies and to any one
> paying for tracking information?

In one of your accounts?

How is that account setup IMAP or POP3?

My one Gmail IMAP accounts settings are:

Server Name: imap.gmail.com Port: 993
Connection security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method: OAuth2

I am not being repeatedly advised that "Thunderbird is a less secure old
client" using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/60.0 Version 60.0b2.

I also had no problem creating that account when testing the 60.0b2
release candidate on Windows or Linux before it was released.

--
Best name ever! Cadet Bone Spurs
NRA = Newly Recruited Activists

0
WaltS48
4/8/2018 1:42:36 PM
Dne 08/04/2018 v 15:42 WaltS48 napsal(a):

> In one of your accounts?
>
> How is that account setup IMAP or POP3?
>
> My one Gmail IMAP accounts settings are:
>
> Server Name: imap.gmail.com Port: 993
> Connection security: SSL/TLS
> Authentication method: OAuth2
>
> I am not being repeatedly advised that "Thunderbird is a less secure old
> client" using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
> Thunderbird/60.0 Version 60.0b2.
>
> I also had no problem creating that account when testing the 60.0b2
> release candidate on Windows or Linux before it was released.

I also vaquely remember

 there is some security level settings
in the Google account on the Google web,
regarding access of 3rd party applications,

and eventually confirmation of the "less secure applications"
like email clients within Auth2 settings context.

--
Poutnik

0
Poutnik
4/8/2018 2:22:25 PM
On 4/8/18 10:22 AM, Poutnik wrote:
> Dne 08/04/2018 v 15:42 WaltS48 napsal(a):
>> In one of your accounts?
>>
>> How is that account setup IMAP or POP3?
>>
>> My one Gmail IMAP accounts settings are:
>>
>> Server Name: imap.gmail.com Port: 993
>> Connection security: SSL/TLS
>> Authentication method: OAuth2
>>
>> I am not being repeatedly advised that "Thunderbird is a less secure old
>> client" using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
>> Thunderbird/60.0 Version 60.0b2.
>>
>> I also had no problem creating that account when testing the 60.0b2
>> release candidate on Windows or Linux before it was released.
>>
> I also vaquely remember
>
>   there is some security level settings
> in the Google account on the Google web,
> regarding access of 3rd party applications,
>
> and eventually confirmation of the "less secure applications"
> like email clients within Auth2 settings context.

I don't recall ever going on the web and making any change there.

I basically created the account to test a bug fixed in TB 52.1.0.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.1.0/releasenotes/

--
Best name ever! Cadet Bone Spurs
NRA = Newly Recruited Activists
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

0
WaltS48
4/8/2018 2:31:21 PM
On 2018-04-07 4:22 PM, Luis wrote:
> Christian Riechers wrote:
>> On 04/07/2018 06:04 PM, Luis wrote:
>>> I´m up to my neck with Gmail and his paranoid security measures.
>>> Now in one of my accounts they repeatedly advice me "Thunderbird is a
>>> less secure old client". My Thunderbird version is 60.0b2.
>>> Is the beta version the cause
>>
>> No.
>> For a production system I would recommend the release version though.
>>
>>> or is that they get confused at the moment
>>> they forward activities to security agencies and to any one paying for
>>> tracking information?
>>
>> Don't be silly.
>> Set up your account as IMAP and use 'OAuth2' as 'Authentication method'
>> in your account settings.
>
> Talking about silly billies, why do you suppose my account is not
> already configured as you suggest?

Does that mean your account was already set to use OAuth2? It should
default to OAuth2 when you set up the account, but if you set it up a
long time ago, that might not be the case.

For a screencast on how to add a Gmail account to Thunderbird, see
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXs_YE9QyUQ>.

If the problem still exists, we'll need some more info about your
Thunderbird setup. Go to Help-->Troubleshooting_Information, then click
[Copy text to Clipboard]. Open a reply to this post, and go to
Edit-->Paste to paste the info from your Troubleshooting Information page.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
Luis wrote:
> I�m up to my neck with Gmail and his paranoid security measures.
> Now in one of my accounts they repeatedly advice me "Thunderbird is a
> less secure old client". My Thunderbird version is 60.0b2.
> Is the beta version the cause or is that they get confused at the moment
> they forward activities to security agencies and to any one paying for
> tracking information?
>
> OT: But, the language issue in Google Search is really insane. I move to
> Germany they change to German, I move to South America and they change
> to Spanish, I go to UK change back to English. The funny thing is that
> while in Japan they changed to Japanese despite of the fact that the few
> phrases I know are "arigato gosaimas", "Domo yoroshiku" and so on, plus
> some Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana symbols.
> Now I must go to Abu Dhabi... :(
> I hate Google.

You can use a country code to force Google to use that country's
language.  For instance, for searching, I chose www.google.ca and for
the maps I chose www.google.co.uk.

0
EE