Fix / break threading...

Is there a way to fix / break threading in Thunderbird?

I frequently receive replies to messages that Thunderbird does not
realize are a reply (because the sender's MUA does not include the

Occasionally I'll receive a message where someone seemingly took the
last message and simply hit reply, entered a new subject and body, and
hit send.  Thus incorrectly associating the message with the unrelated
thread that they hijacked.

I'm hoping that Thunderbird has an ability to fix / break threading like
Mutt does.  —  In Mutt, I can tag (select) two messages (with t) and
link (with &) or break (with #) threads.  Note:  When linking I need to
do the link on the message being replied to.

I searched through Add-Ons and did not see anything that would do
similar for Thunderbird.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix / break threading in Thunderbird?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

On 2018-05-12 1:14 p.m., Grant Taylor wrote:
> Is there a way to fix / break threading in Thunderbird?
>
> I frequently receive replies to messages that Thunderbird does not realize are a reply (because the sender's MUA does not include the References: or In-Reply-To:) to another message.
>
> Occasionally I'll receive a message where someone seemingly took the last message and simply hit reply, entered a new subject and body, and hit send.  Thus incorrectly associating the message with the unrelated thread that they hijacked.
>
> I'm hoping that Thunderbird has an ability to fix / break threading like Mutt does.  —  In Mutt, I can tag (select) two messages (with t) and link (with &) or break (with #) threads.  Note:  When linking I need to do the link on the message being replied to.
>
> I searched through Add-Ons and did not see anything that would do similar for Thunderbird.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to fix / break threading in Thunderbird?

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Stop_threading_by_subject for an explanation of TB's threading logic and some possible preference adjustments.

Breaking is probably easier than fixing, but I would suggest using something like Header Tools Lite to modify headers to remove errant messages from threads.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/header-tools-lite/
0
Steve
5/13/2018 4:14:28 PM
On 05/13/2018 10:14 AM, Steve wrote:
> See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Stop_threading_by_subject for an
> explanation of TB's threading logic and some possible preference
> adjustments.

I'm familiar with Thunderbird's subject based threading.  I've had it
disabled for longer than I can remember.

I'm specifically talking about correcting the mistakes that the sender's
MUA made (by not including the In-Reply-To: or References: headers) or a
sender hijacking a thread.

Arguably Thunderbird is doing the proper thing with the messages it has.
  I'm wanting to change the underlying data that Thunderbird is properly
handling such that it does something differently (and proper for that data).

I can manually edit the messages in my Maildir on the IMAP server and
then refresh Thunderbird, and it does the proper thing with the new
underlying data.  I either add the missing In-Reply-To: & References:
headers to link messages, or I remove them to disconnect messages.

Mutt just happens to have this feature built in so I don't have to edit
message source.

> Breaking is probably easier than fixing, but I would suggest using
> something like Header Tools Lite to modify headers to remove errant
> messages from threads.
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/header-tools-lite/

Thank you.  I'll check that out.  Initial glance suggests that it might
have the ability to do the raw edit from within Thunderbird.  Which
means that I don't need to do it in shell on the mail server.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die