fake Firefox update browser screens

While scrolling thru news stories,
I seem to be encountering more and more
of the FAKE Firefox update (javascript) screens.

I don't click on anything - and CLOSE the entire browser.
I'm guess this get placed a bogus website ads,
which in turn get displayed, which in turn pull up the decoy screen...

Of course the URL is gibberish -
so hard to catch or filter these in any useful way
0
PS56k
3/17/2017 2:33:17 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22057 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On 3/16/2017 10:33 PM, PS56k wrote:
> While scrolling thru news stories,
> I seem to be encountering more and more
> of the FAKE Firefox update (javascript) screens.
>
> I don't click on anything - and CLOSE the entire browser.
> I'm guess this get placed a bogus website ads,
> which in turn get displayed, which in turn pull up the decoy screen...
>
> Of course the URL is gibberish -
> so hard to catch or filter these in any useful way
I believe those delivered by "fake" ads.   The site selling ads doesn't know about it.
I've been seeing them very intermittently for about 6 months.

So far, They have been delivered from domain http://dailycaller.com/
I just close the window.

Carl
0
king
3/17/2017 2:51:35 AM
In article <mailman.399.1489718031.10543.support-
thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org>, pschuman@no-spam.interserv.com says...
> While scrolling thru news stories,
> I seem to be encountering more and more
> of the FAKE Firefox update (javascript) screens.

This landed in the Thunderbird newsgroup, not the Firefox newsgroup.

In any case, whenever I see a message that something needs updating or a
new update is available, I will dismiss the notice I need to upgrade,
and then either use the program's "Help -> About" / "Help -> Check for
Upgrades" and let the internal upgrader do the upgrade, or go to the
program's home page to find out and download the upgraded copy from the
official site or directly linked from that site.

I haven't seen any fake Firefox update screens for a very long time,
probably because AdBlock Plus hides them, along with most other
advertisements, from me and saves the CPU cycles consumed by worthless
video ads.
0
Mark12547
3/17/2017 7:36:49 AM
On 3/17/2017 2:36 AM, Mark12547 wrote:
> In article <mailman.399.1489718031.10543.support-
> thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org>, pschuman@no-spam.interserv.com says...
>> While scrolling thru news stories,
>> I seem to be encountering more and more
>> of the FAKE Firefox update (javascript) screens.
>>

> This landed in the Thunderbird newsgroup, not the Firefox newsgroup.
>
> In any case, whenever I see a message that something needs updating or a
> new update is available, I will dismiss the notice I need to upgrade,
> and then either use the program's "Help -> About" / "Help -> Check for
> Upgrades" and let the internal upgrader do the upgrade, or go to the
> program's home page to find out and download the upgraded copy from the
> official site or directly linked from that site.
>
> I haven't seen any fake Firefox update screens for a very long time,
> probably because AdBlock Plus hides them, along with most other
> advertisements, from me and saves the CPU cycles consumed by worthless
> video ads.

- sorry - wrong group.... was just reading along and hit "write" -
went back and re-posted into the other group.
anyway - got the AdBlockPlus for Firefox - and it does catch stuff...
THANKS

0
PS56k