extension to reorder folders?

I used to use an extension "Folderpanes" that allowed one to easily
reorder the mail/news folders. It only words up to TB 1.0+. Are there
any other extensions that provide a similar capability?
0
Jerry
1/11/2006 6:10:11 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 21880 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

_Jerry_ spoke thusly on 11/01/2006 1:10 AM:
> I used to use an extension "Folderpanes" that allowed one to easily
> reorder the mail/news folders. It only words up to TB 1.0+. Are there
> any other extensions that provide a similar capability?

If you're willing to risk bumping up the compatibility, you can try the
Nightly Tester Tools extension, which will allow you to bypass the
compatibility check.
http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html

You can also do the re-ordering manually. See:
http://ilias.ca/mozilla/mailnewsfaq/ReorderAccounts.html
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Mozilla Help <http://mozillahelp.com>
On 01/11/06 03:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Jerry_ spoke thusly on 11/01/2006 1:10 AM:
>> I used to use an extension "Folderpanes" that allowed one to easily
>> reorder the mail/news folders. It only words up to TB 1.0+. Are there
>> any other extensions that provide a similar capability?
>
> If you're willing to risk bumping up the compatibility, you can try the
> Nightly Tester Tools extension, which will allow you to bypass the
> compatibility check.
> http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html
>
> You can also do the re-ordering manually. See:
> http://ilias.ca/mozilla/mailnewsfaq/ReorderAccounts.html

Oh! I didn't know it was that simple without Folderpane Tools. Thanks,
Chris! :-)
--
Yay!
0
Matt Nordhoff wrote:
> On 01/11/06 03:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> _Jerry_ spoke thusly on 11/01/2006 1:10 AM:
>>> I used to use an extension "Folderpanes" that allowed one to easily
>>> reorder the mail/news folders. It only words up to TB 1.0+. Are there
>>> any other extensions that provide a similar capability?
>>
>> If you're willing to risk bumping up the compatibility, you can try
>> the Nightly Tester Tools extension, which will allow you to bypass the
>> compatibility check.
>> http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html
>>
>> You can also do the re-ordering manually. See:
>> http://ilias.ca/mozilla/mailnewsfaq/ReorderAccounts.html
>
> Oh! I didn't know it was that simple without Folderpane Tools. Thanks,
> Chris! :-)

Mee too. Thanks Chris!
0
Don
1/11/2006 11:11:15 AM
On 11.01.2006 11:11 UK Time, Don Nickell wrote:
> Matt Nordhoff wrote:
>
>> On 01/11/06 03:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
>>
>>> _Jerry_ spoke thusly on 11/01/2006 1:10 AM:

>>> If you're willing to risk bumping up the compatibility, you can try
>>> the Nightly Tester Tools extension, which will allow you to bypass
>>> the compatibility check.
>>> http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html
>>>
>>> You can also do the re-ordering manually. See:
>>> http://ilias.ca/mozilla/mailnewsfaq/ReorderAccounts.html
>>

>> Oh! I didn't know it was that simple without Folderpane Tools. Thanks,
>> Chris! :-)
>

> Mee too. Thanks Chris!

I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O

To order my folders how I want them, I simply try and give them names
starting with letters that fit into my desired structure.

If necessary, I precede the name with a lower case "a" or "x" :-)

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
On 01/11/06 06:24, Herb wrote:
> On 11.01.2006 11:11 UK Time, Don Nickell wrote:
>> Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>> Oh! I didn't know it was that simple without Folderpane Tools.
>>> Thanks, Chris! :-)
>>

>> Mee too. Thanks Chris!
>
> I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O
>
> To order my folders how I want them, I simply try and give them names
> starting with letters that fit into my desired structure.
>
> If necessary, I precede the name with a lower case "a" or "x" :-)

Yes, but it was still a useful tip for Don and I.

I had a system of using _ and - and ~ and stuff to influence the order,
but I don't use it anymore. I'm okay with alphabetical order now.
--
Yay!
0
Herb wrote:
> On 11.01.2006 11:11 UK Time, Don Nickell wrote:
>> Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>> Oh! I didn't know it was that simple without Folderpane Tools.
>>> Thanks, Chris! :-)
>>

>> Mee too. Thanks Chris!
>
> I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O
>
> To order my folders how I want them, I simply try and give them names
> starting with letters that fit into my desired structure.
>
> If necessary, I precede the name with a lower case "a" or "x" :-)

Herb, if I understand correctly to follow your instrustions to *RE*order
the folders we would have to delete the existing account, recreate it,
then subscribe to the desired folders in the order we wish, and *hope* we
never add another NG.  =-O

If I'm wrong please correct me.

Don
0
Don
1/11/2006 11:55:41 AM
On 11.01.2006 11:55 UK Time, Don Nickell wrote:
> Herb wrote:

>>> Mee too. Thanks Chris!
>>

>> I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O
>>
>> To order my folders how I want them, I simply try and give them names
>> starting with letters that fit into my desired structure.
>>
>> If necessary, I precede the name with a lower case "a" or "x" :-)
>>

> Herb, if I understand correctly to follow your instrustions to *RE*order
> the folders we would have to delete the existing account, recreate it,
> then subscribe to the desired folders in the order we wish, and *hope*
> we never add another NG.  =-O
>
> If I'm wrong please correct me.

Don,

I'm talking about mail folders *within* a particular account, which is
what I thought Jerry had asked about.

You instantly reorder *folders* by renaming them such that the name
starts with a different letter (or indeed number).

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
On 01/11/06 07:01, Herb wrote:
> On 11.01.2006 11:55 UK Time, Don Nickell wrote:
>> Herb wrote:

>>> I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O
>>>
>>> To order my folders how I want them, I simply try and give them names
>>> starting with letters that fit into my desired structure.
>>>
>>> If necessary, I precede the name with a lower case "a" or "x" :-)
>>>

>> Herb, if I understand correctly to follow your instrustions to
>> *RE*order the folders we would have to delete the existing account,
>> recreate it, then subscribe to the desired folders in the order we
>> wish, and *hope* we never add another NG.  =-O
>>
>> If I'm wrong please correct me.
>>

> Don,
>
> I'm talking about mail folders *within* a particular account, which is
> what I thought Jerry had asked about.
>
> You instantly reorder *folders* by renaming them such that the name
> starts with a different letter (or indeed number).

Or character in general. :-)
--
Yay!
0
On 01/11/06 06:55, Don Nickell wrote:
> Herb wrote:

>>> Mee too. Thanks Chris!
>>
>> I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O
>>
>> To order my folders how I want them, I simply try and give them names
>> starting with letters that fit into my desired structure.
>>
>> If necessary, I precede the name with a lower case "a" or "x" :-)
>>

> Herb, if I understand correctly to follow your instrustions to *RE*order
> the folders we would have to delete the existing account, recreate it,
> then subscribe to the desired folders in the order we wish, and *hope*
> we never add another NG.  =-O
>
> If I'm wrong please correct me.
>
> Don

To reorder newsgroups, you get to edit a text file! :-D

<profile>/News/newsrc-<server>. Just reorder the groups listed in the
file how you want them. But make a backup first, just in case you mess
it up. :-)

(I think the filename might be different on Windows. [I use Linux.]
Could someone please confirm that?)
--
Yay!
0
On 11.01.2006 12:04 UK Time, Matt Nordhoff wrote:
> On 01/11/06 07:01, Herb wrote:

>>> Herb, if I understand correctly to follow your instrustions to
>>> *RE*order the folders we would have to delete the existing account,
>>> recreate it, then subscribe to the desired folders in the order we
>>> wish, and *hope* we never add another NG.  =-O
>>>
>>> If I'm wrong please correct me.
>>>

>> Don,
>>
>> I'm talking about mail folders *within* a particular account, which is
>> what I thought Jerry had asked about.
>>
>> You instantly reorder *folders* by renaming them such that the name
>> starts with a different letter (or indeed number).
>

> Or character in general. :-)

I suppose I could simply answer my next question by trial and error, but
  I wonder if there is a general rule about the order special characters
are placed in within an alphabetical structure?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
On 01/11/06 07:10, Herb wrote:
> On 11.01.2006 12:04 UK Time, Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>> Don,
>>>
>>> I'm talking about mail folders *within* a particular account, which
>>> is what I thought Jerry had asked about.
>>>
>>> You instantly reorder *folders* by renaming them such that the name
>>> starts with a different letter (or indeed number).
>>

>> Or character in general. :-)
>
> I suppose I could simply answer my next question by trial and error, but
>  I wonder if there is a general rule about the order special characters
> are placed in within an alphabetical structure?

I used to use _, - and ~, but I don't remember now what order they were
placed in. Um. Judging by the names of the folders (not part of my
current Thunderbird profile, but still around), it's:

-
_
~
And then letters and numbers, I think.

:-)

Trying it for yourself would be the surest way to know, though. :-)
--
Yay!
0
On 11.01.2006 12:14 UK Time, Matt Nordhoff wrote:
> On 01/11/06 07:10, Herb wrote:

>>> Or character in general. :-)
>>

>> I suppose I could simply answer my next question by trial and error,
>> but  I wonder if there is a general rule about the order special
>> characters are placed in within an alphabetical structure?
>

> I used to use _, - and ~, but I don't remember now what order they were
> placed in. Um. Judging by the names of the folders (not part of my
> current Thunderbird profile, but still around), it's:
>
> -
> _
> ~
> And then letters and numbers, I think.
>
> :-)
>
> Trying it for yourself would be the surest way to know, though. :-)

Yes, sure, but this kind of information is no doubt documented somewhere
on the web?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
On 01/11/06 07:19, Herb wrote:
> On 11.01.2006 12:14 UK Time, Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>> I suppose I could simply answer my next question by trial and error,
>>> but  I wonder if there is a general rule about the order special
>>> characters are placed in within an alphabetical structure?
>>

>> I used to use _, - and ~, but I don't remember now what order they
>> were placed in. Um. Judging by the names of the folders (not part of
>> my current Thunderbird profile, but still around), it's:
>>
>> -
>> _
>> ~
>> And then letters and numbers, I think.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Trying it for yourself would be the surest way to know, though. :-)
>
> Yes, sure, but this kind of information is no doubt documented somewhere
> on the web?

In the Mozilla source code, maybe. :-)

I doubt it. It is an interesting and useful tip if you don't like just
alphabetical order, but I doubt it.
--
Yay!
0
On 11.01.2006 12:28 UK Time, Matt Nordhoff wrote:
> On 01/11/06 07:19, Herb wrote:

>>> I used to use _, - and ~, but I don't remember now what order they
>>> were placed in. Um. Judging by the names of the folders (not part of
>>> my current Thunderbird profile, but still around), it's:
>>>
>>> -
>>> _
>>> ~
>>> And then letters and numbers, I think.
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Trying it for yourself would be the surest way to know, though. :-)
>>

>> Yes, sure, but this kind of information is no doubt documented
>> somewhere on the web?
>

> In the Mozilla source code, maybe. :-)
>
> I doubt it. It is an interesting and useful tip if you don't like just
> alphabetical order, but I doubt it.

I wasn't just thinking about Mozilla - I would have thought there must
be some kind of general international standard.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
On 01/11/06 07:33, Herb wrote:
> I wasn't just thinking about Mozilla - I would have thought there must
> be some kind of general international standard.

Oh. I dunno. I suppose there could be, somewhere. Never heard of one,
though. :-)
--
Yay!
0

> On 11.01.2006 12:04 UK Time, Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>> Don,
>>>
>>> I'm talking about mail folders *within* a particular account, which
>>> is what I thought Jerry had asked about.
>>>
>>> You instantly reorder *folders* by renaming them such that the name
>>> starts with a different letter (or indeed number).
>>

>> Or character in general. :-)
>

> I suppose I could simply answer my next question by trial and error,
> but  I wonder if there is a general rule about the order special
> characters are placed in within an alphabetical structure?

Herb

In Windows, when writing any text, select "Insert special character" -
that will bring up the Win Ascii frame (for the font you are using)

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/fontsoftware/ht/character_map.htm

The so-called "special characters" 0-31 generally can't be accessed, as
they are used by the OS as control commands, but you can insert
characters 0032 (a blank space) through 0255 (ÿ)
HOLD the alt key and enter the character number via the NUMBER PAD
(doesn't work with the topline keys)

the characters in a list follow the ascii code sequence but remember....
if you use NUMBERS, then 0 is first, followed by 1...9
that is  1 is before 9 but....  10, 100, 1000 are also before 9.  you
must set numbered lists to read the full length of the largest number
ie  0001 - 0009, 0010 - 0099, 0100 - 0999, 1000 - 9999  will put your
numbered list into the correct sequence!

reg
0
squaredancer
1/11/2006 12:59:42 PM
On 11.01.2006 13:33, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Herb to
generate the following:? :

> On 11.01.2006 12:28 UK Time, Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>> Yes, sure, but this kind of information is no doubt documented
>>> somewhere on the web?
>>

>> In the Mozilla source code, maybe. :-)
>>
>> I doubt it. It is an interesting and useful tip if you don't like
>> just alphabetical order, but I doubt it.
>

> I wasn't just thinking about Mozilla - I would have thought there must
> be some kind of general international standard.

yepp - ASCII and ANSI

reg
0
squaredancer
1/11/2006 1:00:55 PM
Matt Nordhoff wrote:
> On 01/11/06 07:33, Herb wrote:
>
>> I wasn't just thinking about Mozilla - I would have thought there must
>> be some kind of general international standard.
>
> Oh. I dunno. I suppose there could be, somewhere. Never heard of one,
> though. :-)

If there is, I'd guess it would be implemented in the Linux/Unix
textutils sort commands.

Guess without checking it out: it goes by the character encoding. So if
you use an international standard encoding (e. g. UTF8), it would follow
an international standard.

I'd have to check on it to be sure, though.

BR,
Gudmund
0
Gudmund
1/11/2006 1:01:10 PM
On 11.01.2006 12:59 UK Time, squaredancer wrote:
> On 11.01.2006 13:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Herb to
> generate the following:? :

>>> Or character in general. :-)
>>

>> I suppose I could simply answer my next question by trial and error,
>> but  I wonder if there is a general rule about the order special
>> characters are placed in within an alphabetical structure?
>>
> Herb
>
> In Windows, when writing any text, select "Insert special character" -
> that will bring up the Win Ascii frame (for the font you are using)
>
> http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/fontsoftware/ht/character_map.htm
>
> The so-called "special characters" 0-31 generally can't be accessed, as
> they are used by the OS as control commands, but you can insert
> characters 0032 (a blank space) through 0255 (ÿ) HOLD the alt key and
> enter the character number via the NUMBER PAD (doesn't work with the
> topline keys)
>
> the characters in a list follow the ascii code sequence but remember....
> if you use NUMBERS, then 0 is first, followed by 1...9
> that is  1 is before 9 but....  10, 100, 1000 are also before 9.  you
> must set numbered lists to read the full length of the largest number
> ie  0001 - 0009, 0010 - 0099, 0100 - 0999, 1000 - 9999  will put your
> numbered list into the correct sequence!
>
> reg

Hi Reg,

thanks for the info, but I'm not sure it answers by question about the
specification for ordering special characters as part of an alphabetical
list.

Anyway, I guess this is getting a bit 'academic', and perhaps we should
move on :-)

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Jerry_ spoke thusly on 11/01/2006 1:10 AM:
>> I used to use an extension "Folderpanes" that allowed one to easily
>> reorder the mail/news folders. It only words up to TB 1.0+. Are there
>> any other extensions that provide a similar capability?
>
> If you're willing to risk bumping up the compatibility, you can try the
> Nightly Tester Tools extension, which will allow you to bypass the
> compatibility check.
> http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html
>
> You can also do the re-ordering manually. See:
> http://ilias.ca/mozilla/mailnewsfaq/ReorderAccounts.html

I can confirm that FOlderpane Tools does work when bumped.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

> On 11.01.2006 12:59 UK Time, squaredancer wrote:
>
>> On 11.01.2006 13:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Herb to
>> generate the following:? :

>>> I suppose I could simply answer my next question by trial and error,
>>> but  I wonder if there is a general rule about the order special
>>> characters are placed in within an alphabetical structure?
>>>
>> Herb
>>
>> In Windows, when writing any text, select "Insert special character"
>> - that will bring up the Win Ascii frame (for the font you are using)
>>
>> http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/fontsoftware/ht/character_map.htm
>>
>> The so-called "special characters" 0-31 generally can't be accessed,
>> as they are used by the OS as control commands, but you can insert
>> characters 0032 (a blank space) through 0255 (ÿ) HOLD the alt key and
>> enter the character number via the NUMBER PAD (doesn't work with the
>> topline keys)
>>
>> the characters in a list follow the ascii code sequence but
>> remember.... if you use NUMBERS, then 0 is first, followed by 1...9
>> that is  1 is before 9 but....  10, 100, 1000 are also before 9.  you
>> must set numbered lists to read the full length of the largest number
>> ie  0001 - 0009, 0010 - 0099, 0100 - 0999, 1000 - 9999  will put your
>> numbered list into the correct sequence!
>>
>> reg
>

> Hi Reg,
>
> thanks for the info, but I'm not sure it answers by question about the
> specification for ordering special characters as part of an
> alphabetical list.
>
> Anyway, I guess this is getting a bit 'academic', and perhaps we
> should move on :-)

the "special characters" (non-alphabetic) list in their ASCII (or ANSI)
sequence - look at the "special character map" that I mentioned - you
can prefix them to your Foldernames in the order they are listed - and
the folders will order themselves in that sequence!
an example:
[space]Foldername  will list at the *very top*, followed by
!Foldername
"Foldername
#
$
%
&
'

etc
etc
etc

my favorite is  ŸŸŸ  join me in a glas of Sekt ??

reg
0
squaredancer
1/11/2006 4:04:07 PM
On 11.01.2006 16:04 UK Time, squaredancer wrote:
> On 11.01.2006 14:05, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Herb to
> generate the following:? :
>
>> On 11.01.2006 12:59 UK Time, squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> On 11.01.2006 13:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Herb to
>>> generate the following:? :

>>> Herb
>>>
>>> In Windows, when writing any text, select "Insert special character"
>>> - that will bring up the Win Ascii frame (for the font you are using)
>>>
>>> http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/fontsoftware/ht/character_map.htm
>>>
>>> The so-called "special characters" 0-31 generally can't be accessed,
>>> as they are used by the OS as control commands, but you can insert
>>> characters 0032 (a blank space) through 0255 (ÿ) HOLD the alt key and
>>> enter the character number via the NUMBER PAD (doesn't work with the
>>> topline keys)
>>>
>>> the characters in a list follow the ascii code sequence but
>>> remember.... if you use NUMBERS, then 0 is first, followed by 1...9
>>> that is  1 is before 9 but....  10, 100, 1000 are also before 9.  you
>>> must set numbered lists to read the full length of the largest number
>>> ie  0001 - 0009, 0010 - 0099, 0100 - 0999, 1000 - 9999  will put your
>>> numbered list into the correct sequence!
>>>
>>> reg
>>

>> Hi Reg,
>>
>> thanks for the info, but I'm not sure it answers by question about the
>> specification for ordering special characters as part of an
>> alphabetical list.
>>
>> Anyway, I guess this is getting a bit 'academic', and perhaps we
>> should move on :-)
>>
> the "special characters" (non-alphabetic) list in their ASCII (or ANSI)
> sequence - look at the "special character map" that I mentioned - you
> can prefix them to your Foldernames in the order they are listed - and
> the folders will order themselves in that sequence!
> an example:
> [space]Foldername  will list at the *very top*, followed by
> !Foldername
> "Foldername
> #
> $
> %
> &
> '
>
> etc
> etc
> etc
>
> my favorite is  ŸŸŸ  join me in a glas of Sekt ??

Hi Reg,

thanks for this - I'll give it a thorough test some time.

Yes, a glass of sparkling wine would be very nice indeed :-)

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>On 01/11/06 03:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
>

>>_Jerry_ spoke thusly on 11/01/2006 1:10 AM:
>>

>>>I used to use an extension "Folderpanes" that allowed one to easily
>>>reorder the mail/news folders. It only words up to TB 1.0+. Are there
>>>any other extensions that provide a similar capability?
>>>

>>If you're willing to risk bumping up the compatibility, you can try the
>>Nightly Tester Tools extension, which will allow you to bypass the
>>compatibility check.
>>http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html
>>
>>You can also do the re-ordering manually. See:
>>http://ilias.ca/mozilla/mailnewsfaq/ReorderAccounts.html
>>

>Oh! I didn't know it was that simple without Folderpane Tools. Thanks,
>Chris! :-)

And note that folderpane tools 0.0.2 can (and will) delete accounts  !O¿O!
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=thunderbird&numpg=10&id=258

(see -
Developer Comments:
WARNING: If you see the message "58: .....)

This already happened to me and I *did* lose accounts  Ò¿Ó  (FF 1.0.7)
I had to go sort out the mess in prefs.js by hand.

Seeing as I've added a new news server account :-) and it ended up at
the bottom of the folder, I am now looking for another way to rearrange
my accounts in the folder pane.  I came here to post a question and
serendipitously saw this thread.  I am going to use Chris's method.

--
*****************************
 Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

> I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O

The folderpane tools extension does not re-order folders. It re-orders
accounts.
See: <http://www.chuonthis.com/extensions/folderpane.php>
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Mozilla Help <http://mozillahelp.com>
Netscape 7 Help <http://ilias.ca/netscape/>
0
Chris
1/11/2006 8:35:40 PM
On 11.01.2006 07:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Jerry to
generate the following:? :

> I used to use an extension "Folderpanes" that allowed one to easily
> reorder the mail/news folders. It only words up to TB 1.0+. Are there
> any other extensions that provide a similar capability?

If you are talking about the individual groups (calling them "folders",
then you can edit them in the *.rc file (with notepad) as in the
following (now "out of date") text, near the bottom:

reg

Editing *.rc files (Newsgroups)

The *.rc files store the count of posts that you have read. Sometimes
though, they get the hiccups and lose count, causing the "Message Count"
that shows next to the NG Folder to give either the wrong number of
"unread posts" or to perpetually show an "unread post" even though there
is none available!

The good news is that the *.rc files are a "Plain Text List" that you
can edit, using the Notepad or Wordpad editors!

CLOSE YOUR eMAIL PROGRAM - otherwise the changes you make may not stick
.... strange things happen with computers!

Do a Windows search for *.rc - you may well get quite a long list
showing -  each eMail program you use will show an *.rc file for each
Newsgroup server you visit!

Generally speaking though, *.rc files "live" in your eMail program's
Profile folder.

So - what to do, now that you have found 27 *.rc files??  (No joke -
I've got 50 of them)

In the right-hand column of the "Find" list, look for the Profile that
you want to clean up - if needbe, click on the top bar [ In folder ] and
sort by name!
In the left-hand column, find the NG-Server name ( for the Newsgroup
that is showing the wrong count ), and DOUBLE click the file name to
open (i.e  secnews.netscape.com.rc  for the Thunderbird Newsgroup)
If the file doesn't open in Wordpad or Notepad, mark the file name, HOLD
the shift key on your keyboard and RIGHT click the marked file name.
Select "Open with" and browse with [Other] to C:\Windows\Notepad.exe

Here, I'll show you my secnews.netscape.com.rc as an example... all the
others look much the same, and editing them is also the same task!

netscape.communicator: 1-407837
netscape.mozilla.firefox: 1-7961
netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26285,26287-26291,26296-26302,26308
netscape.mozilla.user.general: 1-43449
netscape.mozilla.user.win32: 1-42441
netscape.netscape7.windows: 1-81653
netscape.netscape8.windows: 1-779
netscape.test.secnews2: 1-789
netscape.test.multimedia: 1-125681

As you can see, the message-counts are normally 1-12345  with NO breaks
in the sequence! This means that Posts 1 through 12345 have been marked
as "read" for your login!
In my list above, for the third newsgroup (Thunderbird) the count has
gone a bit "haywire" - for what reason ever doesn't matter here!  We
want to clean-up the mess it MAY cause.

So - simply edit that line to read
netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26308

and save the file back to where it was before!  MAKE SURE THOUGH, that
the editor does NOT attach a .txt suffix  - it seems that Windows is a
bit irrational in this way - because *secnews.netscape.com.rc.txt*
won't be found by your eMail program!!

Now - what else can we do, whilst we are here?
More good news....  you can "sort" the order in which the Newsgroups
show under their Server Name (this does not work for sorting the SERVER
NAME LIST)

As I prefer to see the posts in the Thunderbird group first, before I go
on to the Firefox group, I simply mark and cut the complete Thunderbird
line, and insert it between the

 >>netscape.communicator<<      and
 >>netscape.mozilla.firefox<<    groups!

The original list has now been edited to look like this:

netscape.communicator: 1-407837
netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26308
netscape.mozilla.firefox: 1-7961
netscape.mozilla.user.general: 1-43449
netscape.mozilla.user.win32: 1-42441
netscape.netscape7.windows: 1-81653
netscape.netscape8.windows: 1-779
netscape.test.secnews2: 1-789
netscape.test.multimedia: 1-125681

Again - SAVE the file, as stated further up!

When I re-start my eMail program (here, Thunderbird)  the NG order has
been changed and - hopefully - the annoying miscounting has gone to the
electrical Nirvana!

reg - September 2005
0
squaredancer
1/11/2006 9:13:11 PM
On 11.01.2006 20:35 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Herb_ spoke thusly on 11/01/2006 6:24 AM:

>> I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O
>

> The folderpane tools extension does not re-order folders. It re-orders
> accounts.
> See: <http://www.chuonthis.com/extensions/folderpane.php>

Thanks for the clarification.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Herb_ spoke thusly on 11/01/2006 6:24 AM:

>> I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O
>
> The folderpane tools extension does not re-order folders. It re-orders
> accounts.
> See: <http://www.chuonthis.com/extensions/folderpane.php>

Actually I did mean accounts. That's what happens when I don't get
enough sleep. :^)

Searching through the Mozillzine forums I came across this link to a
modified folderpane that does work on 1.5
http://www.thunderbird-mail.de/erweitern/erweiterungen/folderpane/
While the entry in the Extensions window is in German the actual
extension window is still in English.
0
Jerry
1/12/2006 4:38:00 AM
Herb wrote:

> On 11.01.2006 11:11 UK Time, Don Nickell wrote:
>> Matt Nordhoff wrote:

NIFTY!

>>> Oh! I didn't know it was that simple without Folderpane Tools. Thanks,
>>> Chris! :-)
>>
>> Mee too. Thanks Chris!
>
> I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O
>
> To order my folders how I want them, I simply try and give them names
> starting with letters that fit into my desired structure.
>
> If necessary, I precede the name with a lower case "a" or "x" :-)

That doesn't work with newsgroups, though.  Those are listed in the order in
which you subscribed to them.  You can rearrange the entries in, for instance,
your /profile.default/News/newsrc-news.mozilla-2.org file.  BUT FIRST make a
backup of the file just in case the unthinkable happens :-(

--
Cheers,
Bev
The Real Bev wrote:
> Herb wrote:

> NIFTY!

>>> Mee too. Thanks Chris!
>>
>> I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O
>>
>> To order my folders how I want them, I simply try and give them names
>> starting with letters that fit into my desired structure.
>>
>> If necessary, I precede the name with a lower case "a" or "x" :-)
>
> That doesn't work with newsgroups, though.  Those are listed in the
> order in which you subscribed to them.  You can rearrange the entries
> in, for instance, your /profile.default/News/newsrc-news.mozilla-2.org
> file.  BUT FIRST make a backup of the file just in case the unthinkable
> happens :-(

If you have a mozilla.org-2, you may have a ghost entry in prefs.js.
Make very sure that's the active folder.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
1/12/2006 6:47:55 AM
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Herb wrote:

>> NIFTY!

>>> I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O
>>>
>>> To order my folders how I want them, I simply try and give them names
>>> starting with letters that fit into my desired structure.
>>>
>>> If necessary, I precede the name with a lower case "a" or "x" :-)
>>
>> That doesn't work with newsgroups, though.  Those are listed in the
>> order in which you subscribed to them.  You can rearrange the entries
>> in, for instance, your /profile.default/News/newsrc-news.mozilla-2.org
>> file.  BUT FIRST make a backup of the file just in case the unthinkable
>> happens :-(
>
> If you have a mozilla.org-2, you may have a ghost entry in prefs.js.
> Make very sure that's the active folder.

It is.  The others contain crap -- multiple instances of newsgroups from when
I kept killing and re-subscribing.  I suppose I should tidy things up...

--
Cheers,
Bev
On 01/12/06 16:26, The Real Bev wrote:
> It is.  The others contain crap -- multiple instances of newsgroups from
> when I kept killing and re-subscribing.  I suppose I should tidy things
> up...

After backing up, of course. :-)
--
Yay!
0
Matt Nordhoff wrote:

> On 01/12/06 16:26, The Real Bev wrote:
>> It is.  The others contain crap -- multiple instances of newsgroups from
>> when I kept killing and re-subscribing.  I suppose I should tidy things
>> up...
>
> After backing up, of course. :-)

OK, so I did a backup and installed TB 1.5.  Bummer.  The theme I want hasn't
been updated and the Message ID Finder extension likewise.  Back to 1.0.6 for
a while...

I assume it's legit to remove newsrc-news.mozilla.org and
newsrc-news.mozilla-1.org and rename newsrc-news.mozilla-2.org
newsrc-news.mozilla.org while TB is shut down, right?

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The Real Bev wrote:
> Matt Nordhoff wrote:
>
>> On 01/12/06 16:26, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> It is.  The others contain crap -- multiple instances of newsgroups
>>> from when I kept killing and re-subscribing.  I suppose I should tidy
>>> things up...
>>
>> After backing up, of course. :-)
>
> OK, so I did a backup and installed TB 1.5.  Bummer.  The theme I want
> hasn't been updated and the Message ID Finder extension likewise.  Back
> to 1.0.6 for a while...
>
> I assume it's legit to remove newsrc-news.mozilla.org and
> newsrc-news.mozilla-1.org and rename newsrc-news.mozilla-2.org
> newsrc-news.mozilla.org while TB is shut down, right?

Be careful.  While TB is running, go to Edit>>Account
Settings>>news.mozilla.org>>Server settings

For newsrc file, verify the actual active newsrc file. If the profile is
looking for newsrc-2-mozilla.org, and you rename it to
newsrc-mozilla.org, when you reopen, it will not be able to find it. You
would need to repoint the newsrc setting in the UI if you want to use a
file with a different name.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
1/14/2006 6:18:10 AM
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>> After backing up, of course. :-)
>>
>> OK, so I did a backup and installed TB 1.5.  Bummer.  The theme I want
>> hasn't been updated and the Message ID Finder extension likewise.  Back
>> to 1.0.6 for a while...
>>
>> I assume it's legit to remove newsrc-news.mozilla.org and
>> newsrc-news.mozilla-1.org and rename newsrc-news.mozilla-2.org
>> newsrc-news.mozilla.org while TB is shut down, right?
>
> Be careful.  While TB is running, go to Edit>>Account
> Settings>>news.mozilla.org>>Server settings
>
> For newsrc file, verify the actual active newsrc file. If the profile is
> looking for newsrc-2-mozilla.org, and you rename it to
> newsrc-mozilla.org, when you reopen, it will not be able to find it. You
> would need to repoint the newsrc setting in the UI if you want to use a
> file with a different name.

Thanks, I would have missed that!  It points to newsrc mozilla-2 and
subdirectory mozilla-1.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Yahoo has released its own search engine. For more info,
On 01/14/06 02:28, The Real Bev wrote:
> Thanks, I would have missed that!  It points to newsrc mozilla-2 and
> subdirectory mozilla-1.

If you change the directory in the GUI, I bet you have to manually
transfer the files over with Thunderbird closed. So don't have the news
server open in Thunderbird while you change the setting, and close it
down as soon as you're done to do the move. But backup first.
--
Yay!
0
On 11.01.2006 12:01 UK Time, Herb wrote:
> On 11.01.2006 11:55 UK Time, Don Nickell wrote:
>> Herb wrote:

>>> I thought Jerry was talking about *folders*, not accounts? =-O
>>>
>>> To order my folders how I want them, I simply try and give them names
>>> starting with letters that fit into my desired structure.
>>>
>>> If necessary, I precede the name with a lower case "a" or "x" :-)
>>>

>> Herb, if I understand correctly to follow your instrustions to
>> *RE*order the folders we would have to delete the existing account,
>> recreate it, then subscribe to the desired folders in the order we
>> wish, and *hope* we never add another NG.  =-O
>>
>> If I'm wrong please correct me.
>>

> Don,
>
> I'm talking about mail folders *within* a particular account, which is
> what I thought Jerry had asked about.
>
> You instantly reorder *folders* by renaming them such that the name
> starts with a different letter (or indeed number).

Come to think of if, I just remembered *why* I started using numbers for
certain folders - the numbers correspond to the shortcuts available via
the QuickMove extension.

I had forgotten all about it and had (relatively strenuously) used the
right mouse button in conjunction with QuickMove, but Ctrl+number much
easier, of course! 8-)

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
Herb wrote:
> On 11.01.2006 12:04 UK Time, Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>> Don,
>>>
>>> I'm talking about mail folders *within* a particular account, which
>>> is what I thought Jerry had asked about.
>>>
>>> You instantly reorder *folders* by renaming them such that the name
>>> starts with a different letter (or indeed number).
>>

>> Or character in general. :-)
>

> I suppose I could simply answer my next question by trial and error, but
>  I wonder if there is a general rule about the order special characters
> are placed in within an alphabetical structure?

This is the alphabetical structure of the symbols readily shown on the
keyboard of my Win XP system.

-----------------------
1-     tab
2-     space
3-     !
4-     "
5-     #
6-     $
7-     %
8-     &
9-     '
10-    (
11-    )
12-    *
13-    +
14-    ,
15-    .
16-    /
17-    :
18-    ;
19-    <
20-    >
21-    ?
22-    @
23-    [
24-    \
25-    ]
26-    ^
27-    _
28-    `
29-    {
30-    |
31-    }
32-    ~
--------------------------

Good luck,

--
Bill McCartney
Union City, Georgia

E-mail rot 13ed
ovyyzppg@oryyfbhgu.arg
0
Bill

Installing extensions in Thunderbird 5 by using the extensions folder
Dear all, as already described at [1] and [2] it was possible to install extensions by copying the XPI files to the %profile%/extensions folder. Unfortunately Thunderbird ignores this procedure in version 5. Does anyone know how to install extensions via the command line or can me point to an according manual? Thanks a lot and best regards, Alex [1] http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2242565 [2] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=668159 -- gpgtools.org On 06/07/11 14:00, Alex (via GPGTools) wrote: > Dear all, > > as already describ...

Reordering Folders in Thunderbird

I wish *Thunderbird* supported all IMAP extensions
fu2: news:netscape.public.mozilla.wishlist Hi, I sometimes use Thunderbird to check my IMAP mailbox and I find it nice. What I know is Thunderbird supports IDLE and QUOTA. ACL is not fully supported: we can see the ACL but it is impossible to manage them - I've never been able to manage them with Thunderbird or Mozilla. If ACL are not managable now, is it planned to improve Thunderbird on this point ? IMAP keywords (ANNOTATE[MORE]) are now supported as Nancy McGough wrote it on 2004 July 8. http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/#news Unfortunately Thunderbird ...

Adding extension to extensions/ folder
I am working on learning to compile Firefox, and after successfully compiling the unchanged source from CVS, I would like to add in a few extensions (in the extensions/ directory, to be included by default in the browser). I tried following the example of the extensions already listed in the extensions/ folder, and it eventually compiled successfully, but the extension's functionality was not present in the end product. Are there any tutorials out there that I've missed that deal with this? Any advice or starting point is greatly appreciated. Christopher Finke > [...

Thunderbird not support local folder with size bigger than 1.2GB
Name: Hans Liu Email: rliuatalcatel-lucentdotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: Thunderbird not support local folder with size bigger than 1.2GB Comments: I use Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (20070728) and now it complains can not save mail to local folder even after I compacted them. Seems this great bird does not support bigger size of local folder than 1.2 GB. Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; en) Opera 9.23 ...

Unable to browse to .thunderbird folder from Thunderbird
New install Thunderbird, Fedora 22, Linux I put my email notification .wav file in the .thunderbird folder but when I browse to it the folder is not visible. I have my system preferences set to show hidden files and folders and the rest of them are ok. Is there a config setting to fix that? Thunderbird is the only place I have that problem. My previous install in Fedora 20 worked fine. I've gone through all the preferences and either I missed a setting or there is nothing to fix it. Tonya Marshall wrote: > New install Thunderbird, Fedora 22, Linux > > I put ...

extension - Thunderbird
Hello -- Does anyone know when this extension will be upgraded to be compatible with Thunderbird 1.0? Thanks for any information. L Mehl L Mehl wrote: > Hello -- > > Does anyone know when this extension will be upgraded to be compatible with > Thunderbird 1.0? > > Thanks for any information. > > L Mehl > > I'm using it now in TB 1.00: http://www.supportware.net/mozilla/#ext9 Lee Thanks. I see it. When updating my extensions, the TB extensions manager said something like "no updates found", or "ext...

superreview requested: [Bug 303239] crash in Thunderbird when trying to delete a post / mail in a rss feed / folder and move this folder to an other folder [@ nsMsgLocalMailFolder::CopyMessages] : [A
David Bienvenu <bienvenu@nventure.com> has asked Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> for superreview: Bug 303239: crash in Thunderbird when trying to delete a post / mail in a rss feed / folder and move this folder to an other folder [@ nsMsgLocalMailFolder::CopyMessages] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=303239 Attachment 192997: proposed fix https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=192997&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from David Bienvenu <bienvenu@nventure.com> OpenMailDBFromFileSpec creates a db w/o the m_folder member var set (...

superreview granted: [Bug 267865] Virtual folders that are subfolders of IMAP folders are deleted after restarting Thunderbird : [Attachment 166795] the fix...call loadVirtualFolders after our folder
David Bienvenu <bienvenu@nventure.com> has granted Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org>'s request for superreview: Bug 267865: Virtual folders that are subfolders of IMAP folders are deleted after restarting Thunderbird https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=267865 Attachment 166795: the fix...call loadVirtualFolders after our folder hierarchy is established https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=166795&action=edit ...

superreview granted: [Bug 303239] crash in Thunderbird when trying to delete a post / mail in a rss feed / folder and move this folder to an other folder [@ nsMsgLocalMailFolder::CopyMessages] : [Att
Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> has granted David Bienvenu <bienvenu@nventure.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 303239: crash in Thunderbird when trying to delete a post / mail in a rss feed / folder and move this folder to an other folder [@ nsMsgLocalMailFolder::CopyMessages] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=303239 Attachment 192997: proposed fix https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=192997&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> i trust the caller of OpenFolderDB doesn't expect _...

Thunderbird: Changing Folder context menu per folder
I'm trying to implement a next context-menu item for the Thunderbird that only appears on specific folders. Basically, I would like to emulate the behavior of the "Empty Trash" or "Delete" context menu items that only appear for folders where they apply. I've been able to hide/show the menu item when the user left-clicks on a given folder by capturing the "select" event: window.document.getElementById('folderTree').addEventListener("select", gTestPlugin.hideShowMenu, false); but this doesn't work properly if the user on...

Thunderbird thinks my local folder inbox is a drafts folder
I'm using Thunderbird 3.0.4 on Windows Vista SP2 64-bit, but I've seemingly had this problem for a while. Thunderbird thinks my local folder inbox is a drafts folder for some reason, so whenever I view a message it has one of those "Edit this draft" buttons. If I double-click it it doesn't open in a tab; it opens in an edit window. It's also showing up in my Drafts Smart Folder. Is there anything I can open up and edit to make TB stop treating my inbox as a drafts folder? DarkeSword wrote: > I'm using Thunderbird 3.0.4 on Windows Vista SP2 64-b...

superreview granted: [Bug 11051] Virtual folders / mailboxes (as in Novell (Ximian) Evolution, Opera, or Google GMail labels) : [Attachment 157059] backend work to support cross folder virtual folder
Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> has granted David Bienvenu <bienvenu@nventure.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 11051: Virtual folders / mailboxes (as in Novell (Ximian) Evolution, Opera, or Google GMail labels) http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11051 Attachment 157059: backend work to support cross folder virtual folders http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=157059&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> what does XFV stand for, cross folder virtual? You'll need to modify the thunde...

Extensions in Thunderbird
I have made a bit of a mess in the Extensions window. I loaded a few extensions and then closed Thunderbird and re-opened it and they didn't load up. So I pressed Uninstall on all of them except one and closed and opened Thunderbird. That then loaded OK. Now I can't change the Uninstall flag on any of the others to Install. :-( Is there any way I can delete these bars out of the Extension Manager and start again, by loading just one at a time? -- Andrew Taylor (Ampers on Skype) London UK - www.taylor.co.uk Andrew Taylor: > I have made a bit of a mess in ...

Web resources about - extension to reorder folders? - mozilla.support.thunderbird

HNN extension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... subgroups of G are conjugate (through a given isomorphism) in G' . In terms of the fundamental group in algebraic topology , the HNN extension ...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Browser extensions help avoid online spoilers
There are at least two extensions for Google's Chrome browser that will help you stay away from spoilers for the new film.

Burundi unrest: 7 killed in violence related to president's extension of his time in power - CTV News ...
Seven more people were killed in Burundi's capital in violence associated with turmoil over President Pierre Nkurunziza's extension of his term ...

Skype iPhone & iPad app gets improved sharing with iOS extension
... if you’re unfamiliar: The updated Skype app for iPhone and iPad is available on the App Store. Filed under: Apps Tagged: App Store , extension ...

HC.Gov extension to 12/17
... in comments over the past day about what to do if you were stuck in Healthcare.gov . I thought there was a good chance of a 1 to 3 day extension ...

Solar & Wind Tax Credit Extensions Big Boost To Solar & Wind Growth
... Returns Support to Wind and Solar After many long months of deliberations and lobbying, the US Congress has approved a five-year extension to ...

‘Dance Moms’ Star Abby Lee Miller Threatens Exit From Upcoming Season; Seeks Extension In Legal Battle ...
The Dance Moms host seems to be fighting two different wars on two separate fronts, both of which could possibly see Abby Lee Miller on TV a ...

Solar ITC extension will halt installation rush in the US and stabilize global PV market growth, says ...
The US House of Representatives passed an amendment to extend the solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) on December 16. The extension, which is part ...

Block all 'Star Wars' spoilers with this Chrome extension
... see Star Wars: The Force Awakens on the day it comes out, you're going to have a tough time dodging spoilers on the internet. This Chrome extension ...

Free App Friday: 5 Great Time-Saving Chrome Extensions
... yes? Might as well get some work done while you're at it. It's time to turn Chrome into a lean, mean efficiency machine with these free extensions. ...