Does Edit->Find not work for newsgroup posts?

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C6A4FC.225111D0

I'm brand new Thunderbird user and can't figure out how to search thru =
newsgroup posts for subjects with a particular word in them.

Edit->Find->Search Messages works OK to find strings in email subjects =
but when I search a newsgroup's messages, the search runs for a second =
or two and then stops with no results.
------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C6A4FC.225111D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm brand new Thunderbird user and =
can't figure out=20
how to search thru newsgroup posts for subjects with a particular word =
in=20
them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Edit-&gt;Find-&gt;Search Messages works =
OK to find=20
strings in email subjects but when I search a newsgroup's messages, the =
search=20
runs for a second or two and then stops with no=20
results.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C6A4FC.225111D0--

0
Ned
7/11/2006 7:10:24 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22506 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

_Ned Hamilton_ spoke thusly on 11/07/2006 3:10 PM:
> I'm brand new Thunderbird user and can't figure out how to search thru
> newsgroup posts for subjects with a particular word in them.
>
> Edit->Find->Search Messages works OK to find strings in email subjects
> but when I search a newsgroup's messages, the search runs for a second
> or two and then stops with no results.

The server may not support the technique used by the Thunderbird search
window. Does the search bar work? [View-->Toolbars-->Search Bar]
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Ned Hamilton wrote:
> I'm brand new Thunderbird user and can't figure out how to search thru
> newsgroup posts for subjects with a particular word in them.
>
> Edit->Find->Search Messages works OK to find strings in email subjects
> but when I search a newsgroup's messages, the search runs for a second
> or two and then stops with no results.

If you go File - Offline - work offline, then do the search, then when
you get the search list click on the bottom left corner of the main TB
window to go back "online", and you can download the message bodies as
you work through the list.

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
Robert M Jones wrote:
> Ned Hamilton wrote:
>> I'm brand new Thunderbird user and can't figure out how to search thru
>> newsgroup posts for subjects with a particular word in them.
>>
>> Edit->Find->Search Messages works OK to find strings in email subjects
>> but when I search a newsgroup's messages, the search runs for a second
>> or two and then stops with no results.
>
> If you go File - Offline - work offline, then do the search, then when
> you get the search list click on the bottom left corner of the main TB
> window to go back "online", and you can download the message bodies as
> you work through the list.

It's not necessary to go offline to have search work, unless the News
server the OP has is quirky.

--
John McWilliams
0
Robert M Jones wrote:

> If you go File - Offline - work offline, then do the search, then when
> you get the search list click on the bottom left corner of the main TB
> window to go back "online", and you can download the message bodies as
> you work through the list.

but wouldn't you have to download the messages to your hard drive first?

--
You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . you're on vacation, and
your energy runs out before your money does.
> Robert M Jones wrote:
>
>> If you go File - Offline - work offline, then do the search, then when
>> you get the search list click on the bottom left corner of the main TB
>> window to go back "online", and you can download the message bodies as
>> you work through the list.
>
> but wouldn't you have to download the messages to your hard drive first?

Nope. When in offline mode, the Thunderbird search window will search
the local summary files.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Mozilla links <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
7/12/2006 12:42:32 AM
Chris Ilias wrote:

> _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 11/07/2006 6:41 PM:
>
>>Robert M Jones wrote:
>>

>>>If you go File - Offline - work offline, then do the search, then when
>>>you get the search list click on the bottom left corner of the main TB
>>>window to go back "online", and you can download the message bodies as
>>>you work through the list.
>>
>>but wouldn't you have to download the messages to your hard drive first?
>

> Nope. When in offline mode, the Thunderbird search window will search
> the local summary files.
OK, but if you wanted to do a full blown search, then you'd have to
download all the messages, correct?

--
You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . you're on vacation, and
your energy runs out before your money does.
0
gwtc
7/12/2006 3:20:00 AM
_gwtc_ spoke thusly on 11/07/2006 11:20 PM:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> Nope. When in offline mode, the Thunderbird search window will search
>> the local summary files.
> OK, but if you wanted to do a full blown search, then you'd have to
> download all the messages, correct?

That depends on what you mean by "full blown search."
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Mozilla links <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
7/12/2006 7:44:02 AM
Chris Ilias wrote:

> _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 11/07/2006 11:20 PM:
>
>>Chris Ilias wrote:
>>

>>>Nope. When in offline mode, the Thunderbird search window will search
>>>the local summary files.
>>
>>OK, but if you wanted to do a full blown search, then you'd have to
>>download all the messages, correct?
>

> That depends on what you mean by "full blown search."
searching within the body of the message.

--
You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . Your address book has
mostly names that start with Dr.
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 11/07/2006 11:20 PM:

>>> OK, but if you wanted to do a full blown search, then you'd have to
>>> download all the messages, correct?
>>
>> That depends on what you mean by "full blown search."
> searching within the body of the message.

That's correct. Local summary files do not contain the message bodies.
In order to search for messages containing something in the body, you'd
have to be in offline mode and have the messages stored locally.

Incidentally, if one is looking to search within the body of the current
message being viewed, the search will work.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Mozilla links <http://ilias.ca>
Chris

PHP -> JSON ->Zlib -> Delphi XE7 [win32 -> work | android -> No mapping ] [Edit]
Мy program for android should get data from the server as yson when to perform under vindovs works, and in android error, please help! PHP: {code} $err = array(); $data = array('id'=>1,'name'=>'test','info'=>'1234'); $inf = array('data' => $data ,'error' => $err); $json = json_encode($inf); $json = gzencode(trim(preg_replace('/\s+/',' ',$json )),9); header('Content-Encoding: gzip'); header("content-type: text/html; charset: UTF-8"); header("cache-control: must-revalidate&qu...

PHP -> JSON ->Zlib -> Delphi XE7 [win32 -> work | android -> No mapping ] [Edit] #2
[...]

Мy program for android should get data from the server as json when to perform under Win32 works, and in android error, please help! PHP: {code} $err = array(); $data = array('id'=>1,'name'=>'test','info'=>'1234'); $inf = array('data' => $data ,'error' => $err); $json = json_encode($inf); $json = gzencode(trim(preg_replace('/\s+/',' ',$json )),9); header('Content-Encoding: gzip'); header("content-type: text/html; charset: UTF-8"); header("cache-control: must-revalidate"...

Edit->Preferences->Apperance->at startup open
I can not select that I want to open Mail and Navigator as I could in older versions. Currently my preferences are overriden by those of SeaMonkey :) Not big bug but... *WD* typed up the following: > I can not select that I want to open Mail and Navigator as I could in > older versions. Currently my preferences are overriden by those of > SeaMonkey :) Not big bug but... I have Navigator and Mail set to open when I start up SeaMonkey, and it works fine. Starting SeaMonkey fires up the browser and the mail client at the same time. WD schrieb: > I can no...

SOS. >>>>>>>>HELP ME????????>>Web Matrix do not work in Win XP pro
Hi everbody!!!! I have a problem with webmatrix. My problem is?? i install ASP.NET Web Matrix but it is not work. My system is XP pro. I alredy install NET Framework 1.1. The program do not show nothing. But when i open i see picture which there webmatrix after some this disappeared and after i wait but this not work. When i use win 2000 this work excellent. But now problem . I test this in two PC. But no result. I want also add that i install XP sp 2. But Proqram do not work... Thanks!!!! Hi, Can you take a look at these threads: view post 258398 and view post 252245 Regar...

Find control
Ok so i have a label control called lblDeadlineI use this to get to most controls fvTicketDetails.findControl("controlname")However, when i try to get to the control lblDeadline it cant seem to find it. I have tried dlDeadline.FindControl("controlname") which is the datalist but obviously it doesn't see the Datalist because its within my formview editItem template.Please can anyone tell me how to retrieve lblDeadline from fvTicketDetails EditItemTemplate which has a datalist and a control inside ItemTemplate of that datalist. I hope that makes some sense.ThanksMatt  Well, yo...

Edit->Preferences->Attachments->View & Edit Actions
Name: Leroy Tennison Email: leroy_tennisonatprodigydotnet Product: Thunderbird Summary: Edit->Preferences->Attachments->View & Edit Actions Comments: Enhancement request: Add a 'New Action' option to the "Download Actions" dialog so that associations can be added without actually having to receive atype of attachment and go through the Browse process of locating the executable. Thanks for all your work. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.12) Gecko/20071020 CentOS/1.5.0.12-0.7.el4.centos Firefox/1.5.0.12 pango-tex...

Edit/Post not working
I'm using a TAdoDataSet to access a MS SQL Table. I can perform appends, but edit does not work. I receive no errors, Any ideas why I can append, but not edit? Thanks, Tom "does not work"????????? -- Bill Todd (TeamB) Ahhh - stupid mistake. I was not setting the cursor to the current record to be edited. Thanks, Tom "Tom Woods" <twoods@gobaker.com> wrote in message news:10498@forums.codegear.com... > I'm using a TAdoDataSet to access a MS SQL Table. I can perform appends, > but edit does not work. I receive no err...

how thunderbird works on newsgroups?
well, I was using Outlook Express... and Im really happy with Thunderbird now.. But I dont understand how it works with newsgroups... You cant download all the new messages? It just download headers, and I have to be online to download each one and read them Luciano On 13.02.2006 06:23 UK Time, Luciano A. Ferrer wrote: > well, I was using Outlook Express... > and Im really happy with Thunderbird now.. > > But I dont understand how it works with newsgroups... > > You cant download all the new messages? > It just download headers, and I have to be onli...

help with simple javascript: <asp:LinkButton OnclientClick="$find('<%=mpeup1.ClientID %>').hide();" ID="btnCancel" runat="server" CausesValidation="false">Cancel Edit</asp:LinkButton>
I have this app that has a Modapopup Extender control called "mpeup1" it is in a user control inside a formview control on a content page. So I use the clientID property and I simply want to close the ModalPopup on the client side with a simple button click. This is what I have but it doesn work because it always says error: "null is null and is nothing" or some l;ike that. <asp:LinkButton OnclientClick="$find('<%=mpeup1.ClientID %>').hide();" ID="btnCancel" runat="server" CausesValidation="false">Cancel Edit<...

TB 3.1.9 Weirdnesses (bugs?) in Edit>Find>Search Messages
When the criterion window first comes up, Body is one of the options. But after entering several lines (I haven't counted how many), Body is no longer listed as an option. If I haven't used Body as one of the first few criteria, I have to save the search, right-click on the Saved Search file to get Properties, and then add the Body search (sorry, no pun intended) criterion. Not a big deal, but a weird glitch! A much bigger deal: Quote marks do *not* create an Exact Match search; "John Doe" produces the same results as John Doe, namely John AND Doe. This...

3-level hierarchy: datalist->datalist->datagrid. edit of datagrid doesn't work
I have a 3-level hierarchy consisting of a datagrid nested in a datalist, which again is nested in a datalist. All works fine except for editing the datagrid. The EditCommand of the datagrid fires, and I set the EditItemIndex to the selected item after which I rebind the data of the whole hierarchy. I have analyzed the parameters, sender and eventargs, and they originate from the correct datagrid. The problem is that the datagrid row doesn't enter edit mode after the page is reloaded. I suspect that the problem is somehow caused by the data rebinding of the hierarchy. As you can see in the c...

What is with the " [Edit] [Edit] [Edit]" posts?
Don't know where I should post this, hopefully a short thread here is okay. But, at least with my newsreader, Agent 6, longer threads tend to get broken into pieces, with "[Edit]" attached to the topic name. And sometimes longer threads then get [Edit] [Edit] and then [Edit] [Edit] [Edit] For example, here is a current thread: FastMM 4.96 available [Edit] [Edit] [Edit] How does this happen? Can I make them show up as one thread? Paul Doland wrote: > Don't know where I should post this, hopefully a short thread here is > okay. But, at least with my...

Web resources about - Does Edit->Find not work for newsgroup posts? - mozilla.support.thunderbird