Do alphas and beat roll over tot he general release?

Hi All,

Will this guy

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central/thunderbird-62.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe

roll over to the general release when published or do I
have to do it myself?

Many thanks,
-T

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Serious error.

On 6/8/2018 1:45 PM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Will this guy
>

> https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central/thunderbird-62.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe
>
> roll over to the general release when published or do I
> have to do it myself?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

The following is very old, but it still applies:
> Alphas are intended for internal dissemination and won't reach beta
> stage until they are ready for general public testing. The fact that
> the public can obtain (and use) the alphas doesn't really change
> this.
> > As the code becomes more complex, and intertwinned, then even small
> changes in a portion of the code may impact on areas negatively.
> Developing the software is generally just as for a commercial
> product, and how many times has a commerical beta been delayed for
> months or even years, until the code was ready for general public
> testing.
>
> If users wish to have stable, reliable products, then it is suggested
> they stick with the release versions (52.8.0 is the latest). If they
> wish to see what is upcoming, or particpate in testing, then download
> the alphas or even the nightlies, but they should expect problems.
>
> Alphas dont get upgraded to betas until they work as expected on the
> developers machines/setups, and then they become betas to get a wider
> and more varied testing base.

In other words, alphas contain changes being implemented but might be
buggy.  Each alpha is a change from the prior alpha.  After all alpha
development is completed, betas are attempts to remove the bugs.  Each
beta is a change from the prrio beta, and the first beta might be a
change from the last alpha.  After all beta fixes are implemented, the
final result is an end-user release.

Thus, you should consider using an alpha or a beta only if you are
willing to accept the risk of new bugs.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
                        From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song.  He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.
0
David
6/8/2018 9:05:55 PM
On 6/8/18 4:45 PM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Will this guy
>

> https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central/thunderbird-62.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe
>

> roll over to the general release when published or do I
> have to do it myself?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

What's a beat? If you mean beta that depends on the version.

Thunderbird releases on the Firefox ESR schedule, or as close to it as
possible. The next Thunderbird will be a 60 version, currently in beat
testing. Hopefully out before the end of the month.

We might even get a 64-bit version for Windows by the next release after
version 60, which might be 67 depending on what Firefox does.

If you install a 62.0a1, you will be on the Nightly update channel,
which updates everyday and have all the problems that go with it. Like
no calendar at this time.

How would you do it yourself?

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
6/8/2018 11:10:51 PM
On 06/08/2018 04:10 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 6/8/18 4:45 PM, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Will this guy
>>

>> https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central/thunderbird-62.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe
>>

>> roll over to the general release when published or do I
>> have to do it myself?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

> What's a beat?

chuckle

https://ftp.mozilla.org
On 6/8/18 7:45 PM, T wrote:
> On 06/08/2018 04:10 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 6/8/18 4:45 PM, T wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Will this guy
>>>

>>> https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central/thunderbird-62.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe
>>>

>>> roll over to the general release when published or do I
>>> have to do it myself?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>>

>> What's a beat?
>
> chuckle
>
>> If you mean beta that depends on the version.
>>
>> Thunderbird releases on the Firefox ESR schedule, or as close to it as
>> possible. The next Thunderbird will be a 60 version, currently in beat
>> testing. Hopefully out before the end of the month.
>>
>> We might even get a 64-bit version for Windows by the next release
>> after version 60, which might be 67 depending on what Firefox does.
>>
>> If you install a 62.0a1, you will be on the Nightly update channel,
>> which updates everyday and have all the problems that go with it. Like
>> no calendar at this time.
>>
>> How would you do it yourself?
>>

> https://ftp.mozilla.org

And other than beta releases of 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, and 60, do
you see any general releases of those versions?

<https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/>

Do you see any release notes for them here?

<https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/releases/>

Sorry, but version 62.0 won't be a general release, that will be version 60.

Maybe the bug fix you refer to in the "login to server
imap.mail.yahoo.com failed" thread, that prompted this thread will make
it into version 60.

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
6/9/2018 12:11:52 AM
On 06/08/2018 05:11 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 6/8/18 7:45 PM, T wrote:

>>> What's a beat?
>>
>> chuckle
>>
>>> If you mean beta that depends on the version.
>>>
>>> Thunderbird releases on the Firefox ESR schedule, or as close to it
>>> as possible. The next Thunderbird will be a 60 version, currently in
>>> beat testing. Hopefully out before the end of the month.
>>>
>>> We might even get a 64-bit version for Windows by the next release
>>> after version 60, which might be 67 depending on what Firefox does.
>>>
>>> If you install a 62.0a1, you will be on the Nightly update channel,
>>> which updates everyday and have all the problems that go with it.
>>> Like no calendar at this time.
>>>
>>> How would you do it yourself?
>>>

>> https://ftp.mozilla.org
>
> And other than beta releases of 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, and 60, do
> you see any general releases of those versions?
>
> <https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/>
>
> Do you see any release notes for them here?
>
> <https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/releases/>
>
> Sorry, but version 62.0 won't be a general release, that will be version
> 60.
>
> Maybe the bug fix you refer to in the "login to server
> imap.mail.yahoo.com failed" thread, that prompted this thread will make
> it into version 60.

Lets hope.

Any change that this nightly won't update?

On 6/8/2018 8:19 PM, T wrote:
> On 06/08/2018 05:11 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> chuckle

>>> https://ftp.mozilla.org
>>
>> And other than beta releases of 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, and 60, do
>> you see any general releases of those versions?
>>
>> <https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/>
>>
>> Do you see any release notes for them here?
>>
>> <https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/releases/>
>>
>> Sorry, but version 62.0 won't be a general release, that will be
>> version 60.
>>
>> Maybe the bug fix you refer to in the "login to server
>> imap.mail.yahoo.com failed" thread, that prompted this thread will
>> make it into version 60.
>>

> Lets hope.
>
> Any change that this nightly won't update?

If you download a nightly, then it will update to the next nightly.
If you download a beta, it will update to the next beta.
Automatically, if you have auto updates enabled.

HOWEVER, if updates have been disabled at the server, then you won't get
an update no matter how hard you try.  Sometimes nightly (or beta)
updates are disabled at the server because newer versions are broken.
0
Wayne
6/9/2018 1:25:15 AM
On 06/08/2018 06:25 PM, Wayne wrote:
> On 6/8/2018 8:19 PM, T wrote:

ntral/thunderbird-62.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe=20

>>> And other than beta releases of 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, and 60,=20
>>> do you see any general releases of those versions?
>>>
>>> <https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/>
>>>
>>> Do you see any release notes for them here?
>>>
>>> <https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/releases/>
>>>
>>> Sorry, but version 62.0 won't be a general release, that will be=20
>>> version 60.
>>>
>>> Maybe the bug fix you refer to in the "login to server=20
>>> imap.mail.yahoo.com failed" thread, that prompted this thread will=20
>>> make it into version 60.
>>>

>> Lets hope.
>>
>> Any change that this nightly won't update?=20
>=20
> If you download a nightly, then it will update to the next nightly.
> If you download a beta, it will update to the next beta.
> Automatically, if you have auto updates enabled.
>=20
> HOWEVER, if updates have been disabled at the server, then you won't ge=
t=20
> an update no matter how hard you try.=C2=A0 Sometimes nightly (or beta)=
=20
> updates are disabled at the server because newer versions are broken.

Oh Poop!

On 06/08/2018 02:05 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 6/8/2018 1:45 PM, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Will this guy
>>

>> https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central/thunderbird-62.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe
>>
>> roll over to the general release when published or do I
>> have to do it myself?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

> The following is very old, but it still applies:
>> Alphas are intended for internal dissemination and won't reach beta
>> stage until they are ready for general public testing. The fact that
>> the public can obtain (and use) the alphas doesn't really change
>> this.
>>> As the code becomes more complex, and intertwinned, then even small
>> changes in a portion of the code may impact on areas negatively.
>> Developing the software is generally just as for a commercial
>> product, and how many times has a commerical beta been delayed for
>> months or even years, until the code was ready for general public
>> testing.
>>
>> If users wish to have stable, reliable products, then it is suggested
>> they stick with the release versions (52.8.0 is the latest). If they
>> wish to see what is upcoming, or particpate in testing, then download
>> the alphas or even the nightlies, but they should expect problems.
>>
>> Alphas dont get upgraded to betas until they work as expected on the
>> developers machines/setups, and then they become betas to get a wider
>> and more varied testing base.
>
> In other words, alphas contain changes being implemented but might be
> buggy.  Each alpha is a change from the prior alpha.  After all alpha
> development is completed, betas are attempts to remove the bugs.  Each
> beta is a change from the prrio beta, and the first beta might be a
> change from the last alpha.  After all beta fixes are implemented, the
> final result is an end-user release.
>
> Thus, you should consider using an alpha or a beta only if you are
> willing to accept the risk of new bugs.

No choice.  Yahoo's imap won't work without it.
On 6/8/18 9:37 PM, T wrote:
> On 06/08/2018 06:25 PM, Wayne wrote:

>>> Lets hope.
>>>
>>> Any change that this nightly won't update?
>>
>> If you download a nightly, then it will update to the next nightly.
>> If you download a beta, it will update to the next beta.
>> Automatically, if you have auto updates enabled.
>>
>> HOWEVER, if updates have been disabled at the server, then you won't
>> get an update no matter how hard you try.  Sometimes nightly (or beta)
>> updates are disabled at the server because newer versions are broken.
>
> Oh Poop!

Well, if you have a user using 62.0a1, they should get an update
everyday, unless like Wayne states, the updates are disabled at the server.

If you are expecting it to update to a beta, then a release.

Oh Poop!