Deleted pop accounts keep returning

This follows from my thread 'recreated pop accounts as imap'
I initially needed to recreate two gmail aacounts afer password changes made
them inaccessible.

On a new system I installed thunderbird and recreated the two accounts as
imap accounts. They are still there and behaving correctly.

My work machine had the original accounts as inaccessible POP accounts.

I uesed thunderbird's 'Account actions' I removed them and closed
thunderbird down.

I then went into my profile file in the ~/.thunderbird directory and deleted
all the folders under 'mail' starting with 'pop'.

When I brought up thunderbird, it had regenerated the two accounts as pop
accounts without interventions.

I have run through this three times to ensure that I had not missed
anything.

How can I rid myself of them permanently?

Pinnerite