Default Programs

I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
to resort to such subterfuge.

Regards,

Bob

--
Remove "x" from address to reply by email
0

Bob Henson wrote:
> I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
> re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
> Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
> but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
> checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
> default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
> without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
> Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
> at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
> e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
> Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
> to resort to such subterfuge.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob

I think it's just their standard oafishness. I haven't gotten around to
removing OE on this installation. It will be interesting to see what
happens to those default settings after that on updating.

BR,
Gudmund
0
Gudmund
1/11/2006 10:58:09 AM
On 11.01.2006 10:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Bob Henson to
generate the following:? :

>I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
>re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
>Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
>but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
>checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
>default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
>without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
>Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
>at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
>e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
>Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
>to resort to such subterfuge.
>
>Regards,
>
>Bob

naaa, Bob - that is called "looking after your own...."

reg
0
squaredancer
1/11/2006 11:20:30 AM
On 2006-01-11 11:58, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
> Bob Henson wrote:
>> I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
>> re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
>> Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
>> but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
>> checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
>> default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
>> without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
>> Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
>> at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
>> e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
>> Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
>> to resort to such subterfuge.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Bob
>
> I think it's just their standard oafishness. I haven't gotten around to
> removing OE on this installation. It will be interesting to see what
> happens to those default settings after that on updating.
>
> BR,
> Gudmund

It certainly didn't happen here. Bob must have done something else is my
guess.

--
Kjell
0
Bob Henson wrote:

> I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
> re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
> Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
> but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
> checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
> default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
> without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
> Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
> at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
> e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
> Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
> to resort to such subterfuge.

Haven't they always done it that way?  I seem to remember that the default
non-windows application sooner or later lost its 'default' status, which
reverted to the equivalent windows product.

What always griped me was that every lousy windows program, as part of its
installation, asked "Do you want this program to start automatically when you
boot up?" I think the answer defaults to YES and thoughtless (it would be rude
to call them clueless) people just hit ENTER and wonder why their machine is
running so slowly after a while.

--
Cheers,
Bev
The Real Bev wrote:

> Bob Henson wrote:
>

>>I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
>>re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
>>Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
>>but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
>>checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
>>default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
>>without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
>>Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
>>at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
>>e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
>>Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
>>to resort to such subterfuge.
>

> Haven't they always done it that way?  I seem to remember that the default
> non-windows application sooner or later lost its 'default' status, which
> reverted to the equivalent windows product.
>
> What always griped me was that every lousy windows program, as part of its
> installation, asked "Do you want this program to start automatically when you
> boot up?" I think the answer defaults to YES and thoughtless (it would be rude
> to call them clueless) people just hit ENTER and wonder why their machine is
> running so slowly after a while.

thats why most people just don't pay attention to every little screen
or popup that happens.  Then they come to newsgroups or other tech
support groups complaining -- "why did this happen?" or "whats happening?"
0
gwtc
1/12/2006 7:49:02 AM
Kjell B. wrote

> On 2006-01-11 11:58, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
>> Bob Henson wrote:
>>> I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
>>> re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
>>> Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
>>> but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
>>> checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
>>> default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
>>> without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
>>> Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
>>> at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
>>> e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
>>> Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
>>> to resort to such subterfuge.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Bob
>>
>> I think it's just their standard oafishness. I haven't gotten around to
>> removing OE on this installation. It will be interesting to see what
>> happens to those default settings after that on updating.
>>
>> BR,
>> Gudmund
>
> It certainly didn't happen here. Bob must have done something else is my
> guess.

It happened in exactly the same manner on both my machines at home - so it
must be something that I did identically on three different computers in two
different locations, (but only one Microsoft :-) ) I doubt it could be UK
specific. Anyway, if it happens to anyone else they'll know what it was, and
if it doesn't , well, so much the better.

Regards,

Bob

--
Remove "x" from address to reply by email.
0
Bob

Thunderbird 3.0 B3 Stole my default program
Wich is Thunderbird 2.0 When install TB 3.0 is setup the default program against to do nothing to make it. Now allways when i press the default email key, TB3.0 is started with the 2.0 profile, if i quit and start TB 2.0 with the 2.0 profile an go to the setup the default email i get a warning "is already the default program" If i setup TB3.0 the default program and then go to the TB 2.0 and setup the defaul program is not set to the TB2.0, remains TB3.0 Browsing for the miriad of options, configurations and the windows register i see the internal name setup for...

Building Thunderbird with builtin Calendar Support and a custom default theme
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000105060503010102060108 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello there, I'm trying to build a custom package of Thunderbird 1.0.7, with builtin Mozilla Calendar support and a custom default theme, all this in Windows. I have a complete environment that supposelly build any Mozilla tree (cygwin+mingw), and it does for the default source trees indeed. Then, I downloaded the source code of version 1.0.7, and tryed to build it with Calendar support, like expl...

Can I make Outlook a default email program & still have Winzip use Thunderbird?
Hi All: I have Thunderbird 2.0.0.24. I also have Microsoft Office 2003, which comes with Outlook & Word. I would like to keep TB as my default email program, but here's my problem. Word will not let me use an Address Book to enter names & addresses onto letters or envelopes unless Outlook is the default email program. I would like to have Thunderbird as my default, especially when I use Winzip to zip & email attachments. Does anyone know of any registry change I could make to either: 1) Have Outlook as a default, but have Winzip use Thunderbird, or 2) Have...

ThunderBird: how do i change default browser for Thunderbird on linux
it doesn't seem to allow me to add a new helper application (no new helper button, etc) ...

Thunderbird updated program and program crashed and is inaccessible
Name: Christina Sever Email: cseveratproaxisdotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: Thunderbird updated program and program crashed and is inaccessible Comments: Thunderbird initiated an update of its program, and dialog box said it couldn't complete installation. The program is inaccessible and unusable. When I try to open it, I get the error message, nssutil3.dll not found. If you reply, email me at starushka_oregon@yahoo.com Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://he...

Thunderbird made itself my default mail after i checked: NOT default
Name: James Cameron Email: ljc-1_at_att.net Product: Firefox Summary: Thunderbird made itself my default mail after i checked: NOT default Comments: Summary tells it all. PLUS, i would like to transport all the messages now in Thuderbird, to my original mail ?server. --other mail handler on my PC user. ( actually, the other user on my PC ) Truly, Jim PLEASE, the A N S W E R for your reply, not a formal acknowledgment. Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) ...

Start the default program file and put it in the window of my own program
How to start the default program file and put it in the window of my own program? Is the function ShellExecute can make this miracle? duf wrote: > How to start the default program file ShellExecute/Ex(). > and put it in the window of my own program? Why? That is very difficult to do properly. 1. because the Win32 API has no concept of a "main" window, so you have to hunt for it, ShellExecute/Ex() will not give it to you directly. 2. an app may create multiple windows at startup, so how do you identify the "main" window? 3. reparenting an ...

I went into preferred applications in Gnome on openSUSE 11.3 to change the default player from that horrid Banshee to Totem. Yet Banshee continues to be the default program. I tried a reboot still the same thing bloody Banshee. Anyone help with this? Thanks. -- "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts." Buddha in The Dhammapada. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Banshee is the default because of # Prefer banshee for multimedia where possible !banshee-1.desktop at /etc/gnome_defaul...

In XP if you go to...START...Set Program Access and Defaults....Custom, you can check a box to indicate your selected default for email,browser, and media player. The default appears to be "Choose my current..." in all three cases. If you manually select Thunderbird for example, I would have thought that it performed that selection and that returning later would show that selection as having been made. It does not. If you return later the selection has returned to "Choose my current...". Is that what is supposed to happen. I Googling I have also found the...

Default to Thunderbird
We use Win xp with service pack 2 When I want to send a picture or a link and I go to send email it launches OE automatically because my wife has OE defaulted to on her side of the computer. On my side I use Thunderbird but it won't launch automatically, because my wife only wants IE to launch on her side when she want to send an email. So it appears we can only default to 1 email program for both sides of the computer. Any way to fix that problem ?? As well, is there a anyway to resize images in Thunderbird ?? Thanks. On Apr 29, 4:54=A0pm, car crash <carcra......

Thunderbird as default
I have tried all the suggested method for making Thunderburd my default mailer. Clicking "Make default" button yields, "You're not the administrator, so you can't change the registry." Thunderbird does not appear on the list of mailers, so I can't let Windows do the job, Does anyone have the registry keys that I can put in so that Thunderbird is my default mailer? Thanks. Bernard W. Joseph wrote: > I have tried all the suggested method for making Thunderburd my default > mailer. Clicking "Make default" button yields, "...

support/what support
Name: William Johnson Email: william0992atsbcglobaldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: support/what support Comments: your support? department for Firefox issues is nothing but a circular maze of unbelievably confusing information that is of no use for the layman and I would dump this piece of trash if I didn't need it for certain websites. I don't know how to reprogram the many bugs or fix the many websites broken by this thing and its "error console" with no directions as to what to do with it. What is it's purpose if there is no help function for it? ...

Default Program
Name: David M Pondelick Email: david_at_pondelick.com Product: Minefield Summary: Default Program Comments: Minefield always asks to set itself as the default internet program, however it never actually does it. OS: Vista RC1 x64 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0 x64; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20061007 Minefield/3.0a1 ...

I had a thought tonight. Perl has a general principle that, in the absence of any indication otherwise, it should use a sensible default. This default generally matches the most common use of the feature by new programmers. This principle is reflected in Perl 6's design in many ways--$_, sort's default behavior, the @_ list, etc. I think that Perl 6 should apply that to the entire program. If the whole program consists of an empty string, it should substitute in a sensible default program. I have done extensive research on the Internet and printed Perl books, and ha...

Web resources about - Default Programs - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Porsche drops factory FIA GTE Pro racing program for 2016
... under: Motorsports , Porsche Porsche won't compete next year in the GTE Pro class of the FIA World Endurance Championship. Other racing programs ...

Our new global program for Developer Agencies
Posted by Uttam Kumar Tripathi , Global Lead, Developer Agency Program The Google Developers team supports a number of global programs geared ...

22 MBA programs where graduates earn more than $110,000 right out of school
... the world , and this year graduates' starting salaries were a crucial component of our ranking . Among the top 50 schools, there were 22 programs ...

Voklswagen creates US claims program
Volkswagen has hired compensation expert Kenneth Feinberg to handle financial claims from people whose cars are involved in the emissions scandal. ...

Amazon Launches Mobile App Referral Program Offering Users $5
Amazon thinks the future of shopping is in your hands, literally. The company recently launched a referral program that offers users of its mobile ...

Guest Worker Program Expanded Fourfold Under New Provision In Spending Bill
Guest Worker Program Expanded Fourfold Under New Provision In Spending Bill

Why Is The NFL's Most Infamous Quack Still Involved In Its Concussion Program?
The many ways in which Dr. Elliot Pellman—a Guadalajara-educated rheumatologist with questionable qualifications —helped the NFL downplay the ...

VW to set up emissions claims program for your lawsuits
Volkswagen announced on Thursday that it is establishing an independent claims program led by Ken Feinberg, the man that handled both the government's ...

Cloud Foundry Launches PaaS Certification Program
Cloud Foundry Certification ensures the application and skill portability across any cloud service or software product that offers Cloud Foundry. ...