Current Thunderbird hanging

Has anyone else started experiencing excessive momentary hanging, (between one and twenty seconds), on Thunderbird please?

And is there any solution please?

I have the current release installed.
0
Barney

Barney Douglas wrote:

> Has anyone else started experiencing excessive momentary hanging, (between one and twenty seconds)

I have had in the past, probably not for as long as 20s but not had it
recently (and now I'm running 60.0b10 rather than current)

I think it can be related to antivirus, try disabling scan of your mail
folder?
0
Andy
7/11/2018 3:38:29 PM
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 04:51:05 -0700 (PDT), Barney Douglas <bdfoto99@gmail.com> wrote:

>Has anyone else started experiencing excessive momentary hanging, (between one and twenty seconds), on Thunderbird please?

It happens here, but only for a couple of seconds or so, each time--just long enough to
distract and confuse me.

>And is there any solution please?

I have nothing.

>I have the current release installed.

Me too.  On a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro install.

--
croy
0
On 7/11/2018 12:19 PM, croy wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 04:51:05 -0700 (PDT), Barney Douglas <bdfoto99@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else started experiencing excessive momentary hanging, (between one and twenty seconds), on Thunderbird please?
>
> It happens here, but only for a couple of seconds or so, each time--just long enough to
> distract and confuse me.
>
>> And is there any solution please?
>
> I have nothing.
>
>> I have the current release installed.
>
> Me too.  On a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro install.

Are you running x86 (Win32) or x64 (Win64) Thunderbird ?

Lynn

0
Lynn
7/11/2018 7:11:37 PM
Lynn McGuire wrote:

> Are you running x86 (Win32) or x64 (Win64) Thunderbird ?

Does an official 64bit TB for windows even exist?
0
Andy
7/11/2018 7:17:55 PM
On 7/11/2018 2:17 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
>> Are you running x86 (Win32) or x64 (Win64) Thunderbird ?
>
> Does an official 64bit TB for windows even exist?

Not yet, but soon-ish. There is a 64-bit beta of 60 but it's not known
if it'll be released in tandem when 60.0 32-bit is released.
0
TCW
7/11/2018 7:36:24 PM
On 7/11/2018 3:36 PM, TCW wrote:
> On 7/11/2018 2:17 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>
>>> Are you running x86 (Win32) or x64 (Win64) Thunderbird ?

This question has pretty much no bearing on Thunderbird performance.

>> Does an official 64bit TB for windows even exist?
>
> Not yet, but soon-ish. There is a 64-bit beta of 60 but it's not known
> if it'll be released in tandem when 60.0 32-bit is released.

There is no "if".  One can know from several sources the answer is an
unequivocal no, it isn't going to happen when 60.0 is released because
1) it isn't offered on the beta download page
2) it is explicitly stated in the 60 beta system requirements - see
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/60.0beta/system-requirements/
3) it has been stated in several public fora

But "no" is not forever. And you will know when 64-bit builds are
officially supported in release because it will be explicit and obvious
in multiple locations. The one signal will be when you see it in beta,
which will happen well BEFORE it happens in release. For example at
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/beta/all/
0
Wayne
7/12/2018 2:11:37 AM
On 7/11/2018 9:11 PM, Wayne wrote:
> On 7/11/2018 3:36 PM, TCW wrote:

> This question has pretty much no bearing on Thunderbird performance.
>

>>> Does an official 64bit TB for windows even exist?
>>
>> Not yet, but soon-ish. There is a 64-bit beta of 60 but it's not known
>> if it'll be released in tandem when 60.0 32-bit is released.
>
> There is no "if".  One can know from several sources the answer is an
> unequivocal no, it isn't going to happen when 60.0 is released because
> 1) it isn't offered on the beta download page
> 2) it is explicitly stated in the 60 beta system requirements - see
> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/60.0beta/system-requirements/
> 3) it has been stated in several public fora
>
> But "no" is not forever. And you will know when 64-bit builds are
> officially supported in release because it will be explicit and obvious
> in multiple locations. The one signal will be when you see it in beta,
> which will happen well BEFORE it happens in release. For example at
> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/beta/all/

Didn't see these responses you mention. I last looked at the bugzilla
bug regarding 64bit support on TB. That is the official word on the
matter/progress AFAIAK. So not in tandem with 60, fine. But on the
horizon. \o/
0
TCW
7/12/2018 12:47:11 PM
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 14:11:37 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 7/11/2018 12:19 PM, croy wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 04:51:05 -0700 (PDT), Barney Douglas <bdfoto99@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone else started experiencing excessive momentary hanging, (between one and twenty seconds), on Thunderbird please?
>>
>> It happens here, but only for a couple of seconds or so, each time--just long enough to
>> distract and confuse me.
>>
>>> And is there any solution please?
>>
>> I have nothing.
>>
>>> I have the current release installed.
>>
>> Me too.  On a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro install.
>
>Are you running x86 (Win32) or x64 (Win64) Thunderbird ?

I wasn't aware that there even is a 64-bit Thunderbird.  I'm running a 32-bit version.

--
croy
0
On 7/12/18 9:41 PM, croy wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 14:11:37 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It happens here, but only for a couple of seconds or so, each time--just long enough to
>>> distract and confuse me.

>>> I have nothing.

>>> Me too.  On a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro install.
>>
>> Are you running x86 (Win32) or x64 (Win64) Thunderbird ?
>
> I wasn't aware that there even is a 64-bit Thunderbird.  I'm running a 32-bit version.

There isn't.

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
7/13/2018 1:54:42 AM
On 12-Jul-2018 21:54, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 7/12/18 9:41 PM, croy wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 14:11:37 -0500, Lynn McGuire
>> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Are you running x86 (Win32) or x64 (Win64) Thunderbird ?
>>
>> I wasn't aware that there even is a 64-bit Thunderbird.  I'm running a
>> 32-bit version.
>>

> There isn't.

Not officially, but there is a version 60 beta for Linux and Windows on
the FTP site for the adventurous.
0
EnDeeGee