Cannot send email in Windows TB 52.6.0 (32-bit)

Today each time when I attempt to send an email from Thunderbird 52.6.0
(32-bit) Windows 10 I get:

"The message could not be sent using Outgoing server (SMTP)
smtp.mail.yahoo.com for an unknown reason. Please verify that your
Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again"

Sever setting are correct:
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server
Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port - 465
SSL/TLS
Normal Password
Full emailaddress

All was working yesterday. I can send email with the exact same profile
settings, same email address, same passwords from:

SeaMonkey 2.49.2 (Windows and Linux)
Thunderbird 52.6.0 (64-bit) Linux
Android Bluemail & K9 mail
(plain text & enigmail encrypted working fine as well)

Suggestions please>
0
NoOp
3/13/2018 3:11:18 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22506 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

8 Replies
63 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 53

On 3/12/2018 8:11 PM, NoOp wrote:
> Today each time when I attempt to send an email from Thunderbird 52.6.0
> (32-bit) Windows 10 I get:
> 
> "The message could not be sent using Outgoing server (SMTP)
> smtp.mail.yahoo.com for an unknown reason. Please verify that your
> Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again"
> 
> Sever setting are correct:
> Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server
> Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
> Port - 465
> SSL/TLS
> Normal Password
> Full emailaddress
> 
> All was working yesterday. I can send email with the exact same profile
> settings, same email address, same passwords from:
> 
> SeaMonkey 2.49.2 (Windows and Linux)
> Thunderbird 52.6.0 (64-bit) Linux
> Android Bluemail & K9 mail
> (plain text & enigmail encrypted working fine as well)
> 
> Suggestions please>
> 

I changed the smtp server to plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (using same
passwords) and that's working. Odd, the others listed above are still
using smtp.mail.yahoo.com and they can still send mail so I'm not sure
if it's a Thunderbird problem.

0
NoOp
3/13/2018 5:37:04 AM
On Tue Mar 13 2018 01:37:04 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), NoOp
<glgxg@sbcglobal.net.invalid> wrote:
> I changed the smtp server to plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (using same
> passwords) and that's working. Odd, the others listed above are still
> using smtp.mail.yahoo.com and they can still send mail so I'm not sure
> if it's a Thunderbird problem.

Where Yahoo is concerned, its virtually NEVER a Thunderbird problem.

Why anyone continues to use their crappy service is beyond me.
0
Tanstaafl
3/13/2018 11:10:10 AM
On 3/13/2018 1:37 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 3/12/2018 8:11 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> Today each time when I attempt to send an email from Thunderbird 52.6.0
>> (32-bit) Windows 10 I get:
>>
>> "The message could not be sent using Outgoing server (SMTP)
>> smtp.mail.yahoo.com for an unknown reason. Please verify that your
>> Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again"
>>
>> Sever setting are correct:
>> Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server
>> Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
>> Port - 465
>> SSL/TLS
>> Normal Password
>> Full emailaddress
>>
>> All was working yesterday. I can send email with the exact same profile
>> settings, same email address, same passwords from:
>>
>> SeaMonkey 2.49.2 (Windows and Linux)
>> Thunderbird 52.6.0 (64-bit) Linux
>> Android Bluemail & K9 mail
>> (plain text & enigmail encrypted working fine as well)
>>
>> Suggestions please>
>>
> 
> I changed the smtp server to plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (using same
> passwords) and that's working. Odd, the others listed above are still
> using smtp.mail.yahoo.com and they can still send mail so I'm not sure
> if it's a Thunderbird problem.
> 
Who actually provides your email service?

The front end (Webmail) for my email is Yahoo;  https://login.yahoo.com/

But the ATT servers handle the sending and receiving of the mail.  ie My 
POP mail Server is "inbound.att.net" and "outbound.att.net"


0
Keith
3/13/2018 4:22:21 PM
In message 
<mailman.78.1520950832.2166.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org>, 
Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> writes:
>On Tue Mar 13 2018 01:37:04 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), NoOp
><glgxg@sbcglobal.net.invalid> wrote:
>> I changed the smtp server to plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (using same
>> passwords) and that's working. Odd, the others listed above are still
>> using smtp.mail.yahoo.com and they can still send mail so I'm not sure
>> if it's a Thunderbird problem.
>
>Where Yahoo is concerned, its virtually NEVER a Thunderbird problem.
>
>Why anyone continues to use their crappy service is beyond me.

I had a similar head-banging-against-a-wall problem with TalkTalk; in 
this case my friend could _send_ fine, but not _receive_ email: TB was 
saying something like "RETR error, server xxx says file yyy does not 
exist". I spoke to TT on her behalf (she's 80 and not that computer 
literate, though very willing to try!); once I'd got past the usual 
attempts on their end to get her to just use webmail (which was 
working), we got into the usual "we don't support Thunderbird"/"The 
error message is only being _relayed_ by TB, it clearly says it's coming 
from your server" loop.

Eventually (days - I think about a week), her email started to flow in 
again. I don't _think_ it was anything she'd done at her end (I was just 
giving telephone support - for some reason TeamViewer was also not 
connecting at her end, possibly blaming Avira though the two had been 
coexisting for years), so I assume they'd done something - "reset the 
account" I think is a phrase they used - after I'd been badgering them 
(though they never sent any communication to indicate they'd done 
anything).

So, ISPs - or the cheaper ones - (a) don't support Thunderbird, (b) use 
that fact to say the problem is in TB not at their end, unless you point 
it out to them in very simple language that it is.

Glad you got yours working! (Did you have to change port number too?)
-- 
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Veni Vidi Vacuum [I came, I saw, It sucked] - mik@saslimited.demon.co.uk, 1998
0
J
3/13/2018 4:37:29 PM
On 3/13/2018 9:22 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 3/13/2018 1:37 AM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 3/12/2018 8:11 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>> Today each time when I attempt to send an email from Thunderbird 52.6.0
>>> (32-bit) Windows 10 I get:
>>>
>>> "The message could not be sent using Outgoing server (SMTP)
>>> smtp.mail.yahoo.com for an unknown reason. Please verify that your
>>> Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again"
>>>
>>> Sever setting are correct:
>>> Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server
>>> Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
>>> Port - 465
>>> SSL/TLS
>>> Normal Password
>>> Full emailaddress
>>>
>>> All was working yesterday. I can send email with the exact same profile
>>> settings, same email address, same passwords from:
>>>
>>> SeaMonkey 2.49.2 (Windows and Linux)
>>> Thunderbird 52.6.0 (64-bit) Linux
>>> Android Bluemail & K9 mail
>>> (plain text & enigmail encrypted working fine as well)
>>>
>>> Suggestions please>
>>>
>> 
>> I changed the smtp server to plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (using same
>> passwords) and that's working. Odd, the others listed above are still
>> using smtp.mail.yahoo.com and they can still send mail so I'm not sure
>> if it's a Thunderbird problem.
>> 
> Who actually provides your email service?
> 
> The front end (Webmail) for my email is Yahoo;  https://login.yahoo.com/
> 
> But the ATT servers handle the sending and receiving of the mail.  ie My 
> POP mail Server is "inbound.att.net" and "outbound.att.net"
> 
> 

For my sbcglobal accounts I also use the att.net servers - no issue with
those, only the smtp.mail.yahoo.com servers.

0
NoOp
3/13/2018 4:39:46 PM
In message 
<mailman.84.1520958173.2165.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org>, 
Keith Nuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>On 3/13/2018 1:37 AM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 3/12/2018 8:11 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>> Today each time when I attempt to send an email from Thunderbird 52.6.0
>>> (32-bit) Windows 10 I get:
>>>
>>> "The message could not be sent using Outgoing server (SMTP)
>>> smtp.mail.yahoo.com for an unknown reason. Please verify that your
>>> Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again"
[]
>>  I changed the smtp server to plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (using same
>> passwords) and that's working. Odd, the others listed above are still
>> using smtp.mail.yahoo.com and they can still send mail so I'm not sure
>> if it's a Thunderbird problem.
>>
>Who actually provides your email service?
>
>The front end (Webmail) for my email is Yahoo;  https://login.yahoo.com/
>
>But the ATT servers handle the sending and receiving of the mail.  ie 
>My POP mail Server is "inbound.att.net" and "outbound.att.net"
>
>
Could you have perhaps (maybe years ago!) set up autoforwarding from 
yahoo to att or vice versa, and forgotten that you've done so? (And/or 
sbcglobal?)
-- 
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Veni Vidi Vacuum [I came, I saw, It sucked] - mik@saslimited.demon.co.uk, 1998
0
J
3/13/2018 4:40:37 PM
On 3/13/2018 12:40 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message 
> <mailman.84.1520958173.2165.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org>, 
> Keith Nuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>> On 3/13/2018 1:37 AM, NoOp wrote:
>>> On 3/12/2018 8:11 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>>> Today each time when I attempt to send an email from Thunderbird 52.6.0
>>>> (32-bit) Windows 10 I get:
>>>>
>>>> "The message could not be sent using Outgoing server (SMTP)
>>>> smtp.mail.yahoo.com for an unknown reason. Please verify that your
>>>> Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again"
> []
>>>  I changed the smtp server to plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (using same
>>> passwords) and that's working. Odd, the others listed above are still
>>> using smtp.mail.yahoo.com and they can still send mail so I'm not sure
>>> if it's a Thunderbird problem.
>>>
>> Who actually provides your email service?
>>
>> The front end (Webmail) for my email is Yahoo;  https://login.yahoo.com/
>>
>> But the ATT servers handle the sending and receiving of the mail.  ie 
>> My POP mail Server is "inbound.att.net" and "outbound.att.net"
>>
>>
> Could you have perhaps (maybe years ago!) set up autoforwarding from 
> yahoo to att or vice versa, and forgotten that you've done so? (And/or 
> sbcglobal?)
NO!

I subscribed to DSL in the early 2000.  SBCGlobal the provider was 
originally an independent ATT subsidiary.   I have not made any changes 
to redirect my email, only followed what the ISP SBCGlobal then ATT 
provided.
0
Keith
3/13/2018 6:13:29 PM
On 3/12/2018 10:37 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 3/12/2018 8:11 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> Today each time when I attempt to send an email from Thunderbird 52.6.0
>> (32-bit) Windows 10 I get:
>> 
>> "The message could not be sent using Outgoing server (SMTP)
>> smtp.mail.yahoo.com for an unknown reason. Please verify that your
>> Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again"
>> 
>> Sever setting are correct:
>> Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server
>> Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
>> Port - 465
>> SSL/TLS
>> Normal Password
>> Full emailaddress
>> 
>> All was working yesterday. I can send email with the exact same profile
>> settings, same email address, same passwords from:
>> 
>> SeaMonkey 2.49.2 (Windows and Linux)
>> Thunderbird 52.6.0 (64-bit) Linux
>> Android Bluemail & K9 mail
>> (plain text & enigmail encrypted working fine as well)
>> 
>> Suggestions please>
>> 
> 
> I changed the smtp server to plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (using same
> passwords) and that's working. Odd, the others listed above are still
> using smtp.mail.yahoo.com and they can still send mail so I'm not sure
> if it's a Thunderbird problem.
> 

Follow up: Today I switched the servers back to standard
smtp.mail.yahoo.com servers & all 6 accounts are working well again on
this TB client. At least now I know that I can use
plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com as a fallback if it happens again.


0
NoOp
3/20/2018 8:03:10 PM
Reply: