Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB?

Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an option
in the menu.
--
Sent on Thunderbird for the Mac
You don't believe in God or the Bible?

John Wolf wrote on 6/6/2018 8:51 PM:
> Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an option
> in the menu.

Mail Redirect is an addon that provides that capability. There may be
others but this one seems straightforward to use.
--
Jeff Barnett
0

On 07/06/2018 03:51, John Wolf wrote:
> Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an
> option in the menu.

Try this:

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Resend_Message>

--------------040209080100050406060902

  <head>
  </head>
cite="mid:mailman.725.1528339893.2160.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could
      not find an option in the menu.
    Try this:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Resend_Message">&lt;http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Resend_Message&gt;</a><br>
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>

--------------040209080100050406060902--
0
UTF
6/7/2018 4:12:20 AM
On 6/6/2018 8:56 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> John Wolf wrote on 6/6/2018 8:51 PM:
>> Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an option
>> in the menu.
>
> Mail Redirect is an addon that provides that capability. There may be
> others but this one seems straightforward to use.

Note, however, that redirecting prevents you from altering the message.
The only change is automatically added by Thunderbird.  That change is
the insertion of a header field that indicates from whom the message has
been redirected.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
                        From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song.  He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.
0
David
6/7/2018 4:28:26 AM
Jeff Barnett <jbbrus@comcast.net> Wrote in message:
> John Wolf wrote on 6/6/2018 8:51 PM:
>> Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an option
>> in the menu.
>
> Mail Redirect is an addon that provides that capability. There may be
> others but this one seems straightforward to use.

What about msg filter rules with such a conditional action?
Some addids extend filter conditions/actions capabilities.
--
Libor Striz

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
0
Libor
6/7/2018 6:37:05 AM
On 6/6/18 10:12 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
> On 07/06/2018 03:51, John Wolf wrote:
>> Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an
>> option in the menu.
>
> Try this:
>
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Resend_Message>
>

> --
> With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

Thanks that did it!

--
Sent on Thunderbird for the Mac
You don't believe in God or the Bible?
http://www.cerm.info/bible_studies/Apologetics/creationism.html
0
John
6/7/2018 7:16:41 AM
On 06/06/2018 10:51 PM, John Wolf wrote:
> Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an option
> in the menu.
I have a filter for some Medicare email that I always forward to my
wife, mark as read, then delete.   Works for me.  No add-ons.
0
Big
6/7/2018 1:53:39 PM
John Wolf wrote:
> Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an option
> in the menu.

Depending on what you want to do, there's a couple of ways of doing it:

1) If you right-click on a message and select "edit as new" that will
create a new message (and new headers, including a timestamp), but where
the remainder of the content is identical.

2) Using the Message Redirect extension (and where you choose the same
recipient) will resend the message with the entire content intact.  This
includes Date:, To:/Cc:, Subject (without a Fwd tag), body, and
attachments. However, as noted elsewhere, you can't edit the content.

Smith
0
NFN
6/7/2018 3:33:09 PM
😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 6/6/2018 10:12 PM:
> On 07/06/2018 03:51, John Wolf wrote:
>> Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an
>> option in the menu.
>
> Try this:
>
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Resend_Message>
>

> --
> With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

But doesn't that mark you as the sender and your target as receiver?
Resend should preserve the original sender/receivers in the resent
message as the addon I recommended above does. Just curious as I've
never tried the edit as new capability.
--
Jeff Barnett
0
On 6/7/2018 9:05 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 6/6/2018 10:12 PM:
>> On 07/06/2018 03:51, John Wolf wrote:
>>> Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an
>>> option in the menu.
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Resend_Message>
>>

>> --
>> With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
>> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.
>
> But doesn't that mark you as the sender and your target as receiver?
> Resend should preserve the original sender/receivers in the resent
> message as the addon I recommended above does. Just curious as I've
> never tried the edit as new capability.

Yes, that is what happens with "Edit As New Message".

However, the Mail Redirect extension preserves the original sender.  It
adds a header field indicating that the message has been re-sent and the
E-mail address of the resender.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
                        From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song.  He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.
0
David
6/7/2018 5:04:46 PM
On 06/06/2018 07:51 PM, John Wolf wrote:

> Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an option
> in the menu.

  Use the "Edit as New" option to re-send the message.
  Use a Message Filer to copy the message to another location. If you do
not want to keep it in the original location, add the Delete message to
the filter rule.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com
On 06/06/2018 08:51 PM, John Wolf wrote:
> Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an option
> in the menu.

TL;DR:  Don't be surprised if redirecting / resending doesn't work as
desired.

Note:  The various redirect / resend options (some mentioned in this
thread) may run afoul of newer spam filtering techniques.  Particularly
DKIM and DMARC.

I'm hoping that the redirected / resent message would be sent with an
envelope that was SPF compliant.  If not, you'd likely run afoul of SPF too.

There is also a good chance that there will be indicators that the email
was sent to you and that you resent / redirected it.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

On 07/06/2018 17:05, Jeff Barnett wrote:

> But doesn't that mark you as the sender and your target as receiver?

That's what I understand by the words: "or re-sent in TB".  The OP wants
to resend the message and so nothing should change except the date/time
and perhaps the subject.

Me thinks so anyway.

--------------34657D4B77BB4C6C3A675020

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:mailman.758.1528387584.2160.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"><br>
      But doesn't that mark you as the sender and your target as
      receiver? <br>
    That's what I understand by the words: "or re-sent in TB".  The OP
    wants to resend the message and so nothing should change except the
    date/time and perhaps the subject.<br>
    Me thinks so anyway.<br>
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>

--------------34657D4B77BB4C6C3A675020--
0
UTF
6/7/2018 7:52:57 PM
On 6/7/2018 12:44 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 06/06/2018 08:51 PM, John Wolf wrote:
>> Can messages be re-directed or re-sent in TB? I could not find an option
>> in the menu.
>
> TL;DR:  Don't be surprised if redirecting / resending doesn't work as
> desired.
>
> Note:  The various redirect / resend options (some mentioned in this
> thread) may run afoul of newer spam filtering techniques.  Particularly
> DKIM and DMARC.
>
> I'm hoping that the redirected / resent message would be sent with an
> envelope that was SPF compliant.  If not, you'd likely run afoul of SPF too.
>
> There is also a good chance that there will be indicators that the email
> was sent to you and that you resent / redirected it.

Windows 7
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
	Thunderbird/52.8.0
Protocols:  POP3 and SMTP

Per a test I just now ran, the following header fields were changed or
added:
*  The "Return-Path" was changed to contain the E-mail address of
whoever redirected the message.
*  A "Resent-From" was added, also containing the E-mail address of
whoever redirected the message.  The "From" header field remained
unchanged from the original message.
*  A "Resent-To" was added, containing the E-mail address to which the
message was redirected.  The "To" header field remained unchanged from
the original message.
*  A "Resent-Date" was added, containing the date-time stamp when the
redirected message was sent.
*  A "Resent-Message-ID" was added, containing an E-mail address with
the addressee being a UUID and the domain being that of whoever
redirected the message.
*  A "Resent-User-Agent" was added, containing the user agent string of
the application used by whoever redirected the message.  No header field
was present in the original message for a user agent string.
*  Several "Received" were added, reflecting the path of the message
during the redirection.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
                        From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song.  He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.
0
David
6/7/2018 8:37:00 PM
On 06/07/2018 02:37 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> The "From" header field remained unchanged from the original message.

This (and the SMTP envelope) will be the most likely problem for
original sending domains that enable full protection.

I expected or am unsurprised by the rest of what you stated.

Thank you for testing and sharing your findings.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
On 6/7/18 1:52 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
> On 07/06/2018 17:05, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>>
>> But doesn't that mark you as the sender and your target as receiver?
>
> That's what I understand by the words: "or re-sent in TB".  The OP wants
> to resend the message and so nothing should change except the date/time
> and perhaps the subject.
>
> Me thinks so anyway.
>

> --
> With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

That's correct. Although its harder to find and not as user friendly as
Apple Mail the feature is there anyways to re-send a message.

--
Sent on Thunderbird for the Mac
You don't believe in God or the Bible?
http://www.cerm.info/bible_studies/Apologetics/creationism.html
0
John
6/8/2018 2:40:42 AM
David E. Ross wrote:
> Per a test I just now ran, the following header fields were changed or
> added:
> *  The "Return-Path" was changed to contain the E-mail address of
> whoever redirected the message.
> *  A "Resent-From" was added, also containing the E-mail address of
> whoever redirected the message.  The "From" header field remained
> unchanged from the original message.
> *  A "Resent-To" was added, containing the E-mail address to which the
> message was redirected.  The "To" header field remained unchanged from
> the original message.

The problem is that the added header lines aren't necessarily visible
for the recipient. Therefore I prefer the way Eudora used to deal with
this: it added the name and address in the From: line, this way:
  From: John Doe (by way of Jill Nono  <jill@nono.no>) <john@doe.do>

-p

0
PietB
6/8/2018 1:07:38 PM
On 6/8/18 7:07 AM, PietB wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> Per a test I just now ran, the following header fields were changed or
>> added:
>> *  The "Return-Path" was changed to contain the E-mail address of
>> whoever redirected the message.
>> *  A "Resent-From" was added, also containing the E-mail address of
>> whoever redirected the message.  The "From" header field remained
>> unchanged from the original message.
>> *  A "Resent-To" was added, containing the E-mail address to which the
>> message was redirected.  The "To" header field remained unchanged from
>> the original message.
>
> The problem is that the added header lines aren't necessarily visible
> for the recipient. Therefore I prefer the way Eudora used to deal with
> this: it added the name and address in the From: line, this way:
>    From: John Doe (by way of Jill Nono  <jill@nono.no>) <john@doe.do>
>
> -p

Eudora? I remember that software. In fact the first email software on
the Mac that I used.

--
Sent on Thunderbird for the Mac
You don't believe in God or the Bible?
http://www.cerm.info/bible_studies/Apologetics/creationism.html
0
John
6/8/2018 1:10:50 PM
On 6/8/2018 6:07 AM, PietB wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> Per a test I just now ran, the following header fields were changed or
>> added:
>> *  The "Return-Path" was changed to contain the E-mail address of
>> whoever redirected the message.
>> *  A "Resent-From" was added, also containing the E-mail address of
>> whoever redirected the message.  The "From" header field remained
>> unchanged from the original message.
>> *  A "Resent-To" was added, containing the E-mail address to which the
>> message was redirected.  The "To" header field remained unchanged from
>> the original message.
>
> The problem is that the added header lines aren't necessarily visible
> for the recipient. Therefore I prefer the way Eudora used to deal with
> this: it added the name and address in the From: line, this way:
>   From: John Doe (by way of Jill Nono  <jill@nono.no>) <john@doe.do>
>
> -p

I have the following
	user_pref("mailnews.headers.extraExpandedHeaders", "Resent-From
	Resent-To Resent-Date");
in my user.js file.  Note the embedded blanks between the header field
names.  The semi-colon (;) at the end is mandatory.  This causes the
named headers to display in the headers pane at the top of the message
pane.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
                        From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song.  He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.
0
David
6/8/2018 2:33:57 PM
Grant Taylor wrote:
> Note:  The various redirect / resend options (some mentioned in this
> thread) may run afoul of newer spam filtering techniques.  Particularly
> DKIM and DMARC.
>
> I'm hoping that the redirected / resent message would be sent with an
> envelope that was SPF compliant.  If not, you'd likely run afoul of SPF
> too.
>
> There is also a good chance that there will be indicators that the email
> was sent to you and that you resent / redirected it.

This is true.

As David Ross noted, a message resent with Message Redirect will get
extra headers, although those are invisible to an end user, unless you
go digging into headers.

I haven't really learned DKIM and DMARC, so I won't comment there.
However, with SPF it's not so much "anti-spam" as it is "anti-forgery"
(although a significant volume of spam is forged).

I'm enthusiastic about Message Redirect, although I don't need it
frequently, and so far, I haven't seen issues with running afoul of
those tools, although I know the issues are there.

I do know that with SPF, it pretty much makes server-based forwarding to
be nearly impossible.  I routinely interact with two mail servers
(different domains and different hosts), and one of them makes SPF
checks as a condition of acceptance.  Thus, I've found that if somebody
sends from a domain that has an SPF record defined to the server that
doesn't use SPF, and we have a forwarding request that goes to the
server with SPF, the receiving server will reject the message, because
the intermediary/relay server isn't defined as being on the list of
acceptable servers for the originating domain.

For Thunderbird, use of Message Redirect should cause similar behavior,
if the originating server has an SPF record, and the receiving server
requires passing SPF checks as a condition for acceptance.

For the original poster, that should not be an issue if he's re-sending
one of his own messages, especially if his mail service provider doesn't
use SPF.

Smith
0
NFN