Can I make TB Not open threads expanded.

Seems even if I collapse threads and then go to another group, when I
return, a lot of the threads where new posts have come in are expanded
again.   I collapse it, mark group as read, go on and come back later
another group is expanded.

Sometimes not.  I can't seem to get a handle on what I'm doing (if it's
me) or is it a bug in TB that it can't remember.   Or even a setting?
0
Big
3/14/2017 9:00:27 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22120 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Big Al wrote on 3/14/2017 4:00 AM:
> Seems even if I collapse threads and then go to another group, when I
> return, a lot of the threads where new posts have come in are expanded
> again.   I collapse it, mark group as read, go on and come back later
> another group is expanded.
>
> Sometimes not.  I can't seem to get a handle on what I'm doing (if it's
> me) or is it a bug in TB that it can't remember.   Or even a setting?

I view with the "All" option and there they are collapsed.  The others
will be expanded,
--
Ron K.
Thunderbird user since May, 2003
On 3/14/2017 5:00 AM, Big Al wrote:
> Seems even if I collapse threads and then go to another group, when I
> return, a lot of the threads where new posts have come in are expanded
> again.   I collapse it, mark group as read, go on and come back later
> another group is expanded.
>
> Sometimes not.  I can't seem to get a handle on what I'm doing (if it's
> me) or is it a bug in TB that it can't remember.   Or even a setting?
what is the setting for the read/unread option?
0
Keith
3/14/2017 12:40:01 PM
On 03/14/2017 08:40 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 3/14/2017 5:00 AM, Big Al wrote:
>> Seems even if I collapse threads and then go to another group, when I
>> return, a lot of the threads where new posts have come in are expanded
>> again.   I collapse it, mark group as read, go on and come back later
>> another group is expanded.
>>
>> Sometimes not.  I can't seem to get a handle on what I'm doing (if it's
>> me) or is it a bug in TB that it can't remember.   Or even a setting?
> what is the setting for the read/unread option?
Big
3/14/2017 1:23:20 PM
On 3/14/2017 2:00 AM, Big Al wrote:
> Seems even if I collapse threads and then go to another group, when I
> return, a lot of the threads where new posts have come in are expanded
> again.   I collapse it, mark group as read, go on and come back later
> another group is expanded.
>
> Sometimes not.  I can't seem to get a handle on what I'm doing (if it's
> me) or is it a bug in TB that it can't remember.   Or even a setting?

Windows 7
Thunderbird 45.7.1 (very soon to be 45.8.0)
View > Layout > Wide View
View > Sort by > (Date, Ascending, Threaded)
View > Threads > Threads with Unread
Protocols:  POP3 and SMTP

I do not see this problem.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Paraphrasing Mark Twain, who was quoting someone else:
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and
alternative truths.
0
David
3/14/2017 2:42:40 PM
On 03/14/2017 10:42 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 3/14/2017 2:00 AM, Big Al wrote:
>> Seems even if I collapse threads and then go to another group, when I
>> return, a lot of the threads where new posts have come in are expanded
>> again.   I collapse it, mark group as read, go on and come back later
>> another group is expanded.
>>
>> Sometimes not.  I can't seem to get a handle on what I'm doing (if it's
>> me) or is it a bug in TB that it can't remember.   Or even a setting?
>>

> Windows 7
> Thunderbird 45.7.1 (very soon to be 45.8.0)
> View > Layout > Wide View
> View > Sort by > (Date, Ascending, Threaded)
> View > Threads > Threads with Unread
> Protocols:  POP3 and SMTP
>
> I do not see this problem.

Other than the wide view, same setup.
TB 45.7.0 on Linux.    Another variable.   But it's done this for a long
while so version should not be a variable.
0
Big
3/14/2017 3:11:50 PM
On 2017-03-14 11:11, Big Al <Big_Al@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 03/14/2017 10:42 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 3/14/2017 2:00 AM, Big Al wrote:
>>> Seems even if I collapse threads and then go to another group, when I
>>> return, a lot of the threads where new posts have come in are expanded
>>> again.   I collapse it, mark group as read, go on and come back later
>>> another group is expanded.
>>>
>>> Sometimes not. I can't seem to get a handle on what I'm doing (if it's
>>> me) or is it a bug in TB that it can't remember. Or even a setting?
>>
>> Windows 7
>> Thunderbird 45.7.1 (very soon to be 45.8.0)
>> View > Layout > Wide View
>> View > Sort by > (Date, Ascending, Threaded)
>> View > Threads > Threads with Unread
>> Protocols: POP3 and SMTP
>>
>> I do not see this problem.
>>
> Other than the wide view, same setup.
> TB 45.7.0 on Linux. Another variable. But it's done this for a long
> while so version should not be a variable.

It does this to me as well, on Windoze; has been doing this forever in
newsgroups (I don't group by thread anywhere else). It seems to expand a
single thread, possibly the one that received a message last (or
something; I haven't figured out the logic). Not a big problem usually,
but pretty annoying when it expands a 100+ messages thread and brings
you to the bottom of it (gotta let go of the mouse and hit \ or scroll
back up to the + sign).

If you figure it out let me know!

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  "I am the itch you cannot reach!" -Darkwing

0
B00ze
3/15/2017 3:45:03 AM
On 03/14/2017 11:45 PM, B00ze wrote:
> On 2017-03-14 11:11, Big Al <Big_Al@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> Windows 7
>>> Thunderbird 45.7.1 (very soon to be 45.8.0)
>>> View > Layout > Wide View
>>> View > Sort by > (Date, Ascending, Threaded)
>>> View > Threads > Threads with Unread
>>> Protocols: POP3 and SMTP
>>>
>>> I do not see this problem.
>>>
>> Other than the wide view, same setup.
>> TB 45.7.0 on Linux. Another variable. But it's done this for a long
>> while so version should not be a variable.
>
> It does this to me as well, on Windoze; has been doing this forever in
> newsgroups (I don't group by thread anywhere else). It seems to expand a
> single thread, possibly the one that received a message last (or
> something; I haven't figured out the logic). Not a big problem usually,
> but pretty annoying when it expands a 100+ messages thread and brings
> you to the bottom of it (gotta let go of the mouse and hit \ or scroll
> back up to the + sign).
>
> If you figure it out let me know!
>
> Best Regards,

I've not figured it out and probably will never.   I've been told (by
users not developers) that it's supposed to remember the last state.
But I know it doesn't as I've tried making sure I collapse all then mark
all read and exit the group.

I've also been looking for a add-on to make a collapse all button so I
don't have to take the hand off the mouse and hit the \ key.   Yes I
could use the other hand.....

Even gave thought to trying to write an add-on myself but I'm good but
not that good.

Life goes on!
0
Big
3/15/2017 2:55:56 PM
On 3/15/17 10:55 AM, Big Al wrote:
> On 03/14/2017 11:45 PM, B00ze wrote:

>>> Other than the wide view, same setup.
>>> TB 45.7.0 on Linux. Another variable. But it's done this for a long
>>> while so version should not be a variable.
>>
>> It does this to me as well, on Windoze; has been doing this forever in
>> newsgroups (I don't group by thread anywhere else). It seems to
>> expand a
>> single thread, possibly the one that received a message last (or
>> something; I haven't figured out the logic). Not a big problem usually,
>> but pretty annoying when it expands a 100+ messages thread and brings
>> you to the bottom of it (gotta let go of the mouse and hit \ or scroll
>> back up to the + sign).
>>
>> If you figure it out let me know!
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
> I've not figured it out and probably will never.   I've been told (by
> users not developers) that it's supposed to remember the last state.
> But I know it doesn't as I've tried making sure I collapse all then
> mark all read and exit the group.
>
> I've also been looking for a add-on to make a collapse all button so I
> don't have to take the hand off the mouse and hit the \ key.   Yes I
> could use the other hand.....
>
> Even gave thought to trying to write an add-on myself but I'm good but
> not that good.
>
> Life goes on!

I've also seen this action over the years. Watching it for awhile I
see it seems to remember the last thread that you read a post in. And
even after a "collapse" and close, TB remembers that thread, and if
there is a new post the next time the NG is opened, that thread is
expanded.

Re "button, and maybe you know this, the Menu bar under View > Threads
has "Collapse all threads  /"  choice

And yes this is a minor annoyance.
0
Reed
3/15/2017 4:32:15 PM
On 2017-03-15 10:55, Big Al <Big_Al@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 03/14/2017 11:45 PM, B00ze wrote:

>>> Other than the wide view, same setup.
>>> TB 45.7.0 on Linux. Another variable. But it's done this for a long
>>> while so version should not be a variable.
>>
>> It does this to me as well, on Windoze; has been doing this forever in
>> newsgroups (I don't group by thread anywhere else). It seems to expand a
>> single thread, possibly the one that received a message last (or
>> something; I haven't figured out the logic). Not a big problem usually,
>> but pretty annoying when it expands a 100+ messages thread and brings
>> you to the bottom of it (gotta let go of the mouse and hit \ or scroll
>> back up to the + sign).
>>
>> If you figure it out let me know!
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
> I've not figured it out and probably will never. I've been told (by
> users not developers) that it's supposed to remember the last state. But
> I know it doesn't as I've tried making sure I collapse all then mark all
> read and exit the group.

I'm not sure it remembers, I usually collapse all threads before leaving
a newsgroup, this is not sufficient a test for me to determine if it
really remembers the state of every thread. But it DOES "randomly"
expand ONE thread, and it does it often.

> I've also been looking for a add-on to make a collapse all button so I
> don't have to take the hand off the mouse and hit the \ key. Yes I
> could use the other hand.....

I looked at CodeFisher's but he doesn't have a button for that. Good
idea tho, as I have the one hand over the "R" key and the other hand on
the mouse, "\" is pretty far from the "R" key, a button might be easier.

> Even gave thought to trying to write an add-on myself but I'm good but
> not that good.

Since there is a collapse all threads menu entry already, making a
button is probably really easy, for someone who knows what to do -
unfortunately that's not me ;-)

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  "Synthetic Scotch... Synthetic Commanders." -Scotty

0
B00ze